Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Turks posted:

A duck?

As long as its not a catamaran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

IslamoNazi posted:

Can I get a source for this because it's kind of hosed up if true

Also know that Australia generally keeps the addresses of its embassies secret in places of conflict. Ie, if you need the embassy to claim asylum, then they try to hide it's location.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

None of the hostages stopped the gunman. Extricating yourself is not to be condemned but it isn't solving the situation. Please explain?

Tori Johnson did try to stop the gunman and got shot dead for his troubles.

But yeah, honestly, I don't think any of them deserve bravery medals. Getting shot by a ricochet bullet from the cops is in no way brave, neither is anything else to do with just being in a hostage situation.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

HookShot posted:

But yeah, honestly, I don't think any of them deserve bravery medals. Getting shot by a ricochet bullet from the cops is in no way brave, neither is anything else to do with just being in a hostage situation.

You realise Chris Kenny bravely talked on the phone outside the cafe while poo poo got real right? He deserves an award or at least a dog.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
http://www.afghanistan.embassy.gov.au/kbul/visasmigration.html

quote:

The Australian Embassy in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan does not operate a visas section and does not process visa applications for people located in Afghanistan. The Australian visa offices in Islamabad, Pakistan and Dubai, United Arab Emirates provide immigration and visa services to clients in Afghanistan.

Off the top of my head I believe it's only Afghanistan where we do this but I'm probably wrong and it's actually everywhere that we totally hosed!

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

HookShot posted:

Joining up with and helping out the gunman, otoh, is quite brave, since you know he's going to die in a hail of police bullets.

Honestly, bravery is such a misused concept. "Our brave soldiers". What's so brave about walking around with a gun in a hostile environment when your military is leagues ahead of your enemy's, you have air support (while they don't), and you have infinitesimally small chances of dying compared to your opponents? "Cowardly suicide bombers" - is there literally anything less cowardly than giving your life for something you strongly believe in? We are a nation of illiterate retards with no resource for critical thinking. That's why we're fukt, world is fukt, there is no tomorrow.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Nyum nyum nyum delicious schadenfreude nyum

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...s-1227185192814

We voted LNP and they screwed us over in favour of the even more wealthy who would have thought such a thing could happen

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Joining up with and helping out the gunman, otoh, is quite brave, since you know he's going to die in a hail of police bullets.

Honestly, bravery is such a misused concept. "Our brave soldiers". What's so brave about walking around with a gun in a hostile environment when your military is leagues ahead of your enemy's, you have air support (while they don't), and you have infinitesimally small chances of dying compared to your opponents? "Cowardly suicide bombers" - is there literally anything less cowardly than giving your life for something you strongly believe in? We are a nation of illiterate retards with no resource for critical thinking. That's why we're fukt, world is fukt, there is no tomorrow.

hosed up if true It's so very true

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I wouldn't say walking into a market with a bomb strapped to your chest because you're depressed and brainwashed by narcissistic psychopaths with some good rhetoric is particularly brave. Stupid and really sad, yes. Brave? Nah.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

IslamoNazi posted:

Due to some drastically changed circumstances I'm wondering if there is a decent private health care company to use while on unemployment. $20 a week is kind of crazy money when it's 20% of your income rather than coffee change.

edit: I'm in the over 30 category so would like to keep it if for the tax breaks if I can.

Man you and/or your partner must make decent bank if you're worried about hitting the income threshold after a period of unemployment.

Also, if you've cancelled your private health cover while between jobs, and you/your partners combined income is over the income threshold for the year, you'd still only be paying the surcharge for the period you're not covered by private health. It's a lot less dire than those join before june 30 ads would have you believe.

Tell you what mate it's loving nice not to be employed by the ato so now I can freely give advice without worrying about getting pinged for it. :unsmith:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Oh noice you can give me advice on what to salary sacrifice when I get a new job soon. :3:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

^^^
hahaha you're poo poo out of luck, salary sacrifice is something I had nothing to do with. Sorry!

hooman posted:

In order to get onto a plane that goes to Australia you need to prove you have a visa.

That's not 100% correct, people from select countries don't need a VISA to hop on a plane to Australia provided they're just passing through. But you can bet those select countries aren't current warzones so it may as well be correct.

http://www.immi.gov.au/faqs/Pages/do-i-need-a-visa-to-transit-through-australia.aspx

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Tommofork posted:

Man you and/or your partner must make decent bank if you're worried about hitting the income threshold after a period of unemployment.

Also, if you've cancelled your private health cover while between jobs, and you/your partners combined income is over the income threshold for the year, you'd still only be paying the surcharge for the period you're not covered by private health. It's a lot less dire than those join before june 30 ads would have you believe.

Tell you what mate it's loving nice not to be employed by the ato so now I can freely give advice without worrying about getting pinged for it. :unsmith:

I don't have a partner so it's just me to suck it up. I thought the levy went up 2% every year you weren't covered once you hit 30. As for money, I'll probably hit the threshold alone even if I don't get a job this year so it's kind of a concern. Not a major one but still something to worry about.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Fruity Gordo posted:

Oh noice you can give me advice on what to salary sacrifice when I get a new job soon. :3:

TBH - unless you are making serious bank, most salary sacrificing packages aren't worth it.

Unless you are working for a charity - some of those packages are pretty sweet. Again it mainly benefit those whose tax bracket is 37-47% though :smith:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Fruity, I can tell you be careful, though. A super common mistake with salary sacrificing is people assuming that what they sacrifice isn't counted as income when working out if they need to make a HECS-HELP compulsory payment and get a rude shock.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Freudian Slip posted:

TBH - unless you are making serious bank, most salary sacrificing packages aren't worth it.

Unless you are working for a charity - some of those packages are pretty sweet. Again it mainly benefit those whose tax bracket is 37-47% though :smith:

Or in the public health system

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Freudian Slip posted:

My ex could claim her rent as a doctor. Hard to argue with that.

ninja edit: Meals for two or more people were also able to be claimed.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Hotline Miami 2 has been refused classification.

The Classification Board posted:

The computer game is classified RC in accordance with the National Classification Code, Computer Games Table, 1. (a) as computer games that “depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults to the extent that they should not be classified.”

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Amethyst posted:

Hotline Miami 2 has been refused classification.

Implied rape scene apparently.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Fruity Gordo posted:

PM me if it's about salary packaging. I'm all about the packages

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The first game had implied rape and I saw it on sale

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

SadisTech posted:

Nyum nyum nyum delicious schadenfreude nyum

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...s-1227185192814

We voted LNP and they screwed us over in favour of the even more wealthy who would have thought such a thing could happen

An accurate summary.

quote:

A GROUP representing unit owners in some of the Gold Coast’s biggest high-rises is urging residents to vote down the LNP following law changes that saw body corporate fees go through the roof.

Some owners — many of them retirees — had their fees double overnight in 2013 when the Government allowed millionaire penthouse owners to pay the same levies as owners of small units.

They claim a three-part review of the changes, commissioned by Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie, was completed in September last year, but the government has refused to release it before the January 31 election.

However, Mr Bleijie claims the report is not finished.

“When we moved in 2013 we were paying $1196 per quarter and it went up to $2213,” says retiree Clellia Zilli, who lives with husband Sergio in a Broadbeach unit.

“There are a lot of things we have to do without now, and the value of our property has gone down — people are not interested because you’re paying about the same as you would in a bigger unit.

“I certainly won’t be voting for the LNP — we are Liberal voters 

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

IslamoNazi posted:

I don't have a partner so it's just me to suck it up. I thought the levy went up 2% every year you weren't covered once you hit 30. As for money, I'll probably hit the threshold alone even if I don't get a job this year so it's kind of a concern. Not a major one but still something to worry about.

To be clear, there are two Medicare levies. There's the ordinary medicare levy of up to 2%, which everyone starts to pays once their income is over a threshold (roughly 24K) unless they're in a special exemption category (private health doesn't count, usually people in this category are employed by defence, their family members, or someone who is not covered by Medicare i.e. travellers) and the medicare levy surcharge which you have to pay if you're also above a higher threshold (about 88K), aren't an exemption and don't have private health hospital cover.

The surcharge isn't related to your age, it's based on your income/combined income if you have a spouse vs thresholds for singles and families. It varies from 1% to 1.5% (remember it's different to and on top of the ordinary levy which you'd also have to pay).

I dunno I just like talking tax.
:coolcat: :shootme:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Amethyst posted:

The first game had implied rape and I saw it on sale

Was it only sold online/on steam? For some reason, I think games only need to submit for classification if they're being sold physically/ in retail stores in Australia.

I think the new one is being sold for PlayStation as well so it needs to be classified.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Tommofork posted:

To be clear, there are two Medicare levies. There's the ordinary medicare levy of up to 2%, which everyone starts to pays once their income is over a threshold (roughly 24K) unless they're in a special exemption category (private health doesn't count, usually people in this category are employed by defence, their family members, or someone who is not covered by Medicare i.e. travellers) and the medicare levy surcharge which you have to pay if you're also above a higher threshold (about 88K), aren't an exemption and don't have private health hospital cover.

The surcharge isn't related to your age, it's based on your income/combined income if you have a spouse vs thresholds for singles and families. It varies from 1% to 1.5% (remember it's different to and on top of the ordinary levy which you'd also have to pay).

I dunno I just like talking tax.
:coolcat: :shootme:

I thought it went up every year after you hit 30 and hit the threshold. Assuming severance pay counts towards income I'm sure as poo poo going to be in the bracket.

Guess I should really stop worrying though, NTATA has made sure Australia is all about jobs.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Mithranderp posted:

Was it only sold online/on steam? For some reason, I think games only need to submit for classification if they're being sold physically/ in retail stores in Australia.

Nah I've seen boxed copies in stores

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

IslamoNazi posted:

Guess I should really stop worrying though, NTATA has made sure Australia is all about jobs.

I was looking at teaching jobs and 9/10 ads I saw were only .8 FTE because nobody wants to pay holidays anymore. Yay.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

IslamoNazi posted:

I thought it went up every year after you hit 30 and hit the threshold. Assuming severance pay counts towards income I'm sure as poo poo going to be in the bracket.

I think what you are thinking of is the premium you pay for private health insurance. If you get private health insurance late in life, the premium you pay is mean to go up 2% a year for every year over 30. The idea being it encourages young people to get health insurance early (when they won't use it much) and stop people waiting till they get old and fragile before jumping in.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
This state election is so loving boring, the coverage is 100% Campbell 24/7. Also, no real polls happening yet. Opposition's economic policy to be announced tomorrow and no one cares. Yawn.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

IslamoNazi posted:

Nope, the normal levy and the surcharge don't increase based on your age.

Depending on the type severance! Like if you left voluntarily then yes it'll count, but if your position was made redundant then you'll get tax concessions. Sorry to keep confusing things! If you want further info on severance package stuff look at this.

Freudian Slip posted:

I think what you are thinking of is the premium you pay for private health insurance. If you get private health insurance late in life, the premium you pay is mean to go up 2% a year for every year over 30. The idea being it encourages young people to get health insurance early (when they won't use it much) and stop people waiting till they get old and fragile before jumping in.

Thank you for pointing that out because I had no idea.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

T-1000 posted:

This Basikibasik guy sounds like a piece of work, but he's completed his sentence, paid his debt to society and ought to be released - with conditions to ensure community safety. The fact this wasn't even considered is a joke and isn't how the justice system is meant to work. It's unrelated to wider refugee policy. Still gotta admit I'm kinda nonplussed at him getting compensation, but he's been locked up arbitrarily for more than seven years longer than the courts said he should.

While I agree the case is unrelated to wider refugee policy, why let someone like this into the country? Send him home. Is there something I'm missing in the case here?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Kial posted:

While I agree the case is unrelated to wider refugee policy, why let someone like this into the country? Send him home. Is there something I'm missing in the case here?

He was assessed as likely to be killed/seriously harmed if he was sent back, and we used to give a poo poo about that kind of thing, so they didn't. Though I'm beyond shocked Morrison didn't deport him regardless.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kial posted:

Yeah a misguided belief that everyone can be rehabilitated?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Also he committed the crime something like 15 years after entrance to Australia as a refugee. It's not like had a giant FUTURE MURDERER neon flashing sign.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mithranderp posted:

I was looking at teaching jobs and 9/10 ads I saw were only .8 FTE because nobody wants to pay holidays anymore. Yay.

How does that work? Even part timers get holiday pay, it's just casuals who don't.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Freudian Slip posted:

This was exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks for that.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Senor Tron posted:

How does that work? Even part timers get holiday pay, it's just casuals who don't.

They start up a new term-long contract every term.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Seagull posted:

Every term? Christ.

My sister is a primary teacher and I know in her first couple of years she had to deal with contracts that just covered a 6 month period, didn't know it had got that bad though.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Seagull posted:

How the hell is this legal. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Gentleman Baller posted:

How the hell is this legal. Holy poo poo.

• Locked thread