Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Chapter 10: Come Aboard the Love Shrine

So last time, we acquired Selan and embarked on a random mission to acquire a fancy sword.

We haven't seen shrines before, so they come with their own unique theme.

Front door's sealed with the typical unique key shenanigans, so we should head left first.

What can you say about zombies ghouls? They burn easily.

And yes, the game is already recycling bosses as regular enemies. We'll be seeing Lizardmen down the line too.

I suppose you could call this a puzzle if you forgot how you solved the last five dungeons.

Rule of thumb is that if it looks cracked, it's probably bombable.

And dropping down this obvious hole brings us to:

Kinda weird to have an armor item with no IP attack in a treasure box.

With that disappointment out of the way, let's mosey on down to the right side of the main foyer.

S'up, new enemy type?

Two new enemies in one, actually.

The Wood Gorem is, believe it or not, weak to fire, but the Nuborg is a new enemy type known as Hard, typically characterized by a good amount of defense.

What I didn't know going into this dungeon is that the Rod that Selan starts with has a secret Hard typing to it, so she would have been able to do a good amount of damage to them. Instead, I just hit them with a fish.

And here we go with what I mentioned in the last update. Capsule Monsters at Class 2 and above have hidden abilities that they only learn from fighting for a while.

Flame Breath is actually a sneak peek at the next tier of fire magic, creatively titled Fireball.

It's very good. Imagine if these guys were weak to fire.

Actually, you don't have to imagine it. Here's a skeleton getting its day ruined by Fang Attack.

Overkill aside, here's a fun room to mess around in.

Stepping on these rectangular platforms will move them and, by extension, you in a horizontal or vertical direction, depending on the shape of the platform.

Naturally, we have to ride them over the gap in order to get at the sweet, sweet loot.

What I failed to mention about rings up to now is that they also can add an element to your attack. The misleadingly-named Undead Ring, for instance, makes all of your attacks Light-elemental. This is naturally good against undead, but there is another, more important enemy type that is also weak to light.

I'll give you a hint: there are four of them, and their team name starts with an "S".

By the way, I haven't had the chance to show off Selan's attack animation yet. Of all the characters, she is the only one who has the gumption to slash up and to the left. Will we encounter someone who dares to conquer the down and to the right direction? Who knows.

There's a lot embarking and disembarking to get the platforms to where they need to go, but it's not something that would really be interesting in screenshot format

More speed never goes amiss when it comes to Selan.

Anyways, our end goal is to get this platform here so we can block another platform going to the right.

This bracelet makes you so angry that you just wave your arm around. I didn't make it up, it's in the fluff.

Not bad, not bad.

Perhaps for paletting reasons, the blue chest containing our key of the day is green. No matter, works the same.

Key in hand, we can go back to the foyer and proceed through the front.

Proceeding down this hallway, we get jumped by super fast enemies hiding behind pillars. It's really hard to avoid them and they'll just catch up to you if you run, so it's better to just fight them.

I love this puzzle here.

The bottom lever on each side controls the horizontal movement of this tiny platform and the top lever controls vertical movement. Flipping the bottom switch to the left moves it go left, and so on.

The first objective is to move the platform to just below us.

You know, it occurs to me that I haven't had a lot of luck this run. I would have already found an Eagle Rock and a Bee Rock at this point.

Y'know, as useful as this would be for Guy stat-wise, the IP attack is absolutely worthless.

Onto Selan it goes then.

I should note that a valid move is flipping a lever when the platform is unable to move up/down or left/right in order to put it in the right orientation. You can't get through this puzzle otherwise.

There's a puzzle hidden in this room. Can you see it?

No, not this room. This is a drop-off for a puzzle above.

It's this tiny little gap here, barely perceptible if you didn't know to look for it.

Stepping through here presses a button that reveals a hidden side to the room, including a very inviting chest.

Yet another treasure I had to go back for, because who would find that without going through every room minutely?

Kind of a shame, because Selan would have appreciated the boost and the power with what comes ahead.

So here's that puzzle that drops you out in that dead end room if you mess up.

The boxes are holding down buttons that change the walkway when they're removed. In order to cross, you need to remove the boxes while crossing the walkway.

The big trick is that you need to bomb the left box first and just keep running forward. This one took me a few tries and a small hike back up the stairs, but it's not too much of a penalty.

This room looks more complicated than it actually is. There's actually no puzzle here, just fancy tiling.

And speaking of fancy tiles...

Yes, it's red and yellow Reversi, or Othello, depending on which company you bought it from.

The blocks are the grabbable kind, so the only challenge is placing them in the right spots. Bear in mind that the game counts every time that you pick something up and put it down, so don't just go playing around with the puzzle pieces, or it'll reset everything.

The first one's a gimmie, just to familiarize the player with how the puzzle works.

Now it gets trickier.

Bear in mind that the actual order in which you grab the blocks doesn't matter, so long as you only move a single red block and a single yellow block.

And yes, diagonals count in this game, just like Reversi. Or Othello.

The last one stumped me for a while, but there's more than one solution to it. I encourage you to come up with one of your own.

What I do is I put one yellow here...

Drop a red here to set it up...

And finish with a yellow here.

Nothing left to this shrine but to heal up and take on the inevitable boss at the end.

And it is...

Clowns.

Meet Pierre and Daniele, color-coded for your amusement.

I suppose we'll have to deal with them piecemeal.

The theme for these two battles is going to be elemental attacks.

More specifically, Pierre is resistant to flame and lightning and weak to water and ice, while Daniele is vice versa.

In return, they will cast the spells that they are strong against.

Fortunately, spread out over five characters, it's not a big issue.

Otherwise, they will sometimes waste time laughing or they'll attack directly for a decent amount of damage.

Kind of a paltry sum for defeating a boss.

But wait! Something's different this time!

: Ha, ha, ha! Your power is not enough to defeat me. Get out of my face!

And we're unceremoniously booted out of the room.

Well, you know what the definition of insanity is.

Blizzard does an odd thing with the party's sprites. I wonder if it's a layering issue.

Both of these clowns have 1200 HP, and needless to say, YBURN makes the fight with Daniele a lot faster than the fight with Pierre.

: Ha, ha, ha! Your power is not enough to defeat me. Get out of my face!

Is there an echo?

: Did you notice something?

: I mean it's strange that they look exactly the same and say exactly the same thing. It may be...

: May be what?

: They may be one monster split into two. If that's the case, there's no use fighting with only one.

: You mean get two at once?

: Yes.

: Then, we'll have to split up into two teams.

: I don’t think so.

: My people should handle this investigation. I feel so bad asking for your help.

: Selan. We've been investigating together. Do you think we're total strangers?

: Well, ah...

: I admit you're strong, but I cannot let you fight by yourself.

: ......

Yeah, Selan soloing one of these guys would not be a happy time.

: Alright. I'll fight with her.

: Is that ok, Selan?

: Alright, you win.

: I'm counting on you, Guy.

: You're doing the right thing!

Okay then. From the top, with feeling!

Two problems with splitting the party: the clowns' spells are now divided over two/three targets, not four/five, and the squishies are now forced into the front row.

Time to bust out the buffs.

Battle Lust is a very significant boost to power. Maxim is breaking 100 damage with his normal attacks alone.

Why am I bringing YBURN in for the Pierre battle? Because you don't get a chance to rearrange the party between fights, and as mentioned, he makes short work of Daniele.

I did notice an odd occurrence during this battle. Maxim is using the Kukri, which has the Thunder Blast IP attack.

Yeah. I haven't been able to confirm this with any of the guides I'm referencing, but it may be that IP attacks get automatically triggered on a crit.

P & D go faster than the party, so you'll want Tia and Selan to be constantly on the healing in their respective teams.

As you can see, health can disappear pretty quickly in this fight. If anyone dies, this whole thing is going south in a hurry.

Ah yeah! That's a significantly better payoff!

On Guy and Selan's side, we learn the real reason why Selan starts with those specific attack spells.

Not a good idea to actually use them, because if Selan's not constantly healing, she can get two-shot very easily.

Fortunately Daniele opted to go for the water spell instead. That was a close one.

Oh well, even with Selan on healing duty, Guy and YBURN should...

Son of a...

Okay, fine. Guy will just use the Fire Dagger. How's that?

After far too many close calls, they are down for the count.

: I heard a rumor about a monster that could split itself in two. That monster can be revived as long as the other half is alive. Some say the only way to defeat that monster is to get both halves at the same time.

Can you really call it "some say" when you saw it happen?

: Is that right? I've never heard that before.

: I've been exposed to battles as long as I can remember. I know many such stories.

One important detail to note is that the party members who fight alongside you are all, almost to a man, born prodigies. Destiny is a weird thing.

: Well, let's go. The Treasure Sword should be through this door.

: I'm ok. I'm not going to give up yet. Let's go!

After hesitating for a moment, Guy follows the rest in.

Mission accomplished. Time to Escape.

: I couldn't have done it without Selan. We made it only because she knew the monsters' weaknesses.

: That's not true. What I knew wasn't important. We owe our success to Maxim.

: Fine, fine. In any case, an excellent job. I shall reward you with the treasures in the basement. I will tell the gatekeeper you're coming so you can get in anytime.

: What is it!?

: I just learned that someone demolished our neighboring city of Gordovan!

: Can this be true!?

Well, if the soundtrack's kicking in, we'd better hope so.

: I can't confirm details yet, but it seems a man appeared and destroyed the entire city!

: What!? A single man? How can that be?

: Hmm...but the man might come to my land. I'd rather you stay and keep an eye on our guards.

: I'll take only three soldiers. That way, there will be enough guards to protect our land.

: What!? Only four of you? That's too dangerous. I can't allow it!

A group of four is just crazy talk.

: Your Majesty. With your permission, we could go with Selan...

: That would be excellent! But...well, no. I can't burden you with so much.

: We were leaving for the next city anyway. I'm also curious about this villain with such power.

: Hmm...well, if you insist. That would make me feel Selan is safe.

: Your Majesty! Allow me, but we cannot keep asking Maxim for help.

: Lady Selan. Would we be in your way?

: No, it's not that. It's just...

: What do you mean?

: You know that this will be a very dangerous trip. I mean, you might not make it back.

: Sorry to say, but your soldiers aren't ready for this yet. So you have to go alone. Am I wrong?

: Selan. It seems Maxim knows everything. I trust it will be ok with you now.

: Yes, Your Majesty.

: Very good. Maxim, please look after Selan.

: Yes, Your Majesty.

I was a little mistaken earlier in this LP when I called Maxim dense. The events in Clemento and here demonstrate that he's actually quite perceptive, but is merely choosing to ignore Tia's obvious hints.

Note the way that they leave the throne room this time, by the way. It's subtle, but I don't think it was unintentional.

: The truth? I want to know about the destroyer. My destiny is to...fight. Fight someone...

: Your destiny?

: A woman in a cave told me this. I don't know if I believe what she said, but something disturbs me...

: I see. I've been in the midst of battles since I was a child. I understand what you mean.

Like I said, prodigies. It's probably because of that fact that everyone is so accepting of Maxim's "destiny cave lady" story.

: Anyway, who's going to lead the party? Considering the situation, you should lead.

: I don't think so. I want you to be the leader.

: Are you sure?

: I was astonished when you spoke of my soldiers. I couldn't think of another's troops like you. I want to be under your command and watch what you do.

: Can I take that to mean that you're starting to trust me?

: I guess you could say that. But only a little.

: Tough, huh!?

: That's right.

Also, the dramatic echoes. The game's not outright saying this, but there's something going on beyond mutual respect.

: I guess we're ready. To Gordovan, shall we?

: Gordovan's west of Parcelyte. We have to go through the small shrine.

: First, let's get the reward. The king said it's in the basement of the castle, right?

Way to keep your priorities straight, Guy.

As it turns out, the basement only has this jobbie here, but what a jobbie it is!

Read that description carefully. What it's saying is that, no matter what, Selan will be able to heal the entire party for approximately 88 health. It's got a hefty IP cost on it, but considering how much damage Selan takes relative to her max HP, her IP bar is constantly topped off anyway. This little trinket has catapulted Selan from a passable mage to easily the best healer on the team.

Next Time: We come face-to-face with one of the game's major antagonists, and he'll probably kick our teeth in. Also:

YBURN, you have failed me for the last time! From now on, I'm sticking to Foomy.

(I'll still upgrade him to Class 4 the first chance I get, just for completion's sake)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I really like how well Selan fits into this group's structure. You had the all brawn Guy, Maxim with a major in brawn with a little magic, and Tia who is almost entirely magic. Selan takes that spot inbetween Maxim and Tia with her major in magic and a minor brawn and makes the team much more flexible.

Blastinus, maybe you have a picture of it, but is it true that the first level that a character gets after they join usually has a massive stat increase in it? I remember Selan gaining double digit HP and MP on her first level up. This level moved her from "constitution of a wet paper bag" to a half step up.

Edit: you can give the Cold Rapier to Maxim for that fight with the Clowns. The IP attack with Tia throwing a decent water spell should take off about 2/3rds of the clown's hp.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 17, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Grind and kick his teeth in. DO IT

I did it without the 4x I might be a total nerd but it was worth it honest.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I really like how well Selan fits into this group's structure. You had the all brawn Guy, Maxim with a major in brawn with a little magic, and Tia who is almost entirely magic. Selan takes that spot inbetween Maxim and Tia with her major in magic and a minor brawn and makes the team much more flexible.

Blastinus, maybe you have a picture of it, but is it true that the first level that a character gets after they join usually has a massive stat increase in it? I remember Selan gaining double digit HP and MP on her first level up. This level moved her from "constitution of a wet paper bag" to a half step up.

Edit: you can give the Cold Rapier to Maxim for that fight with the Clowns. The IP attack with Tia throwing a decent water spell should take off about 2/3rds of the clown's hp.

Hmm...

I think you may have a point there.

And yeah, it occurred to me after the fact that I could have managed my equipment better for that fight. Hindsight and all that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

AtomikKrab posted:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

I did it without the 4x I might be a total nerd but it was worth it honest.

You don't need to grind if you play it smart. Lowest I've done it at is with everyone being at 23/24, though it requires you to be a bit lucky. If you're 26 or higher it's not bad at all.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Yeah, Cold Rapier on Maxim, Fire Dagger on Guy is pretty much all you need for the Clowns.
The last of the Treasure Signs' flipping puzzle was the first thing that caused me so many resets. It's genuinely complicated!

And also still easy in terms of the games overall puzzles :suicide:

Playing normally on 4x should give you a fair shot at the next guy. It's totally worth it.

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009
So uh, I beat it normally a couple times years ago. The way to to do it is Debuff city. Spam the spell slows him down, with everyone else is on heal duty. Once he is attacking after your party members (most importantly your healer) the fight is really manageable. If you have any other debuffs/buffs, throw them in too, though the crux is slowing him down. I'll delete this if you wanted to cover it at the dude Blast.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Couple of things to get out of the way, first off, I'll be updating weekends only because school is hard, secondly if I randomly take years between updates, assume it's because I don't want to spoil the original. You'll see why in just a minute.

Chapter 4: To Parcelyte!

When we left off, Maxim and Tia had committed honorable suicide together, as their love was never meant to be accepted by society. This update will be a short tribute (please pick maudlin soundtrack of choice) to their brief but brightly burning lives. But really, let's go make sure they haven't suffered from JRPG brain damage or whatever.

: Yeah... I'm okay... Sorry.

: No worries. I'm just happy you're safe!

: Maxim...

: Hey, are you two alright?

: Yeah, thanks to a little luck.

: Grab onto these ropes and climb up!

: Gotcha!

Honestly, that went pretty well.

The crew talk among themselves for a bit, because really, would you want Tia around after that?

: But...can't I come with you?

: Tia, if you come with us, these kinds of things will happen all the time. You might even get killed!

: I'll be fine! Don't treat me like I'm helpless!

: Hmmm...

: Maxim, no matter what, she'll keep trying to follow us. So shouldn't we let her tag along?

: I guess we don't have a choice. Iris, is that okay with you?

: Of course.

: At least this way you'll be able to keep an eye on her, Maxim.

: Just make sure you listen to me, Tia.

: You bet! Thanks, everybody.

: You're welcome.

: Alright then! Now that the bridge is connected, let's get going!

: Yeah!

:confuoot:

We're thrown back to the beginning of the bridge, so let's just use our Escape toy (finally) and peace out of here. See ya, box puzzle bridge.

: I always wanted to go to Parcelyte. I am soooo looking forward to visiting.

: Tia, this isn't a vacation.

: Yeah, yeah. I know.

: By the way, Maxim, you should drop by the armoror's shop when you are in Parcelyte.

: Is there something special about the shop?

: I believe there is a monster hunter there just like yourself. She can give you advice if you've forgotten anything.

: Okay.

It's time to go straight to Parcelyte, completely ignoring all the different places Blastinus had to deal with, because haha, we have a landboat. Just to give you a sense of the scale here, he had to go past a lot of different places, meanwhile, this lovely paintjob is our journey so far:

Apologies for the insanely high quality bordered text. I learned how to do that just for you guys.

So yeah. In true JRPG tradition, the world seems to have about four cities in total. That map has all of them already marked.

: It is pretty impressive.

: Oh, I hear the presidential mansion is beautiful! I can't wait to see it!

: Tia! We're adventurers, not tourists!

: Oh, I know.

There's a lot more to do in Parcelyte than in Elcid, though for a big city, it's seriously missing out on dens of iniquity, and all those other things I can see out of my window.

If we head down the bridge to the right, there's a tavern here. You can talk to that dude, but he just remarks that your journey must have been hard. Well, kinda, I had to mash A a lot.

: Yeah, you got it! My name is Maxim.

:aaa:: Maxim. When I grow up, I'm gonna be a hunter too!

Heh, good plan! Well, you just let me know if you want any pointers.

:aaa:: Okay!

: Maxim.

:smug:: It looks like you've seen your fair share of battles.

: I suppose.

:smug:: I see. Well, be careful. There are some very powerful bad guys out there...like Gades. Although, the worse the world is, the better it is for my business. Hahaha!

A depressing commentary on capitalism by Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals.

This guy sells your basic consumables. We've already seen Potions, Charred Newts, Antidotes and Miracles. Awake is a new one that does exactly what it says on the tin, it wakes you up. I like the description because it's literally a party popper. These are fairly handy to stock up on before the next dungeon for a variety of reasons.

: Yes, my name is Maxim. I am from Elcid.

:mad:: I don't care where you are from. Just don't get in my way. I won't go easy on you if you cause me any trouble.

: Y-Yes, ma'am.

: That's a pretty tough attitude for a waitress.

:mad:: Don't judge people by their appearances. That'll get you in a lot of trouble.

While this isn't quite an...armorer...this rude lady is the monster hunter Lexis wanted us to meet. She gives you tutorials should you feel the need to look them up again. I also like to imagine she goes into the field in that dress, looking like a helpless NPC just waiting to be horribly maimed, and then shanks any monsters that come near her.

: Nice to meet you. My name is Maxim.

: Maxim, huh? That is a nice, strong name. You should meet my boyfriend.

: Your boyfriend?

: Yes. I'm sure you'll run into each other. He's always looking for other strong warriors to test his strength with.

Ayy, it's Jessy. Her boyfriend is still Guy too, but we'll meet him in the next update or so. She sells weapons, which is how the tavern also functions as an armory.

Check out all those things we can't equip yet, I wonder who they're for.

: This energy can be used to create powerful items. That's why I'm collecting them. If you find any, I'll give you some good stuff in exchange for them.

This third option is fairly important. Lufia DS has an interesting take on NG+ carryover items, not to mention the dungeon crawler segment. Certain items are "blue items". These are the only things that carry over between play-throughs. If you want to go for the roguelike bit as well, these blue items are the only things that will carry into that as well, so they're very important for giving you a bit of a safety net.

: You only need 20 more soul shards to get a reward!

Getting soul shards is easy. I was just super unlucky or something. Overkilled enemies occasionally drop bright blue coins as well, and that's what you need.

In any case, I pick up a few upgrades for my party, and stock up on potions and antidotes, because you really can never have enough. I forgot to mention earlier, but the strength of the restoration items is balanced by you having a limit of 9 each.

: Yes, my name is Maxim, and I am from Elcid.

:): Wow, you crossed the bridge to get here? It's been closed for a long time.

: Yeah, we got it extended again.

:): Wow, that is really some feat!

: Hello.

:sun:: Hey, I haven't seen you before.

: Yeah, I'm Maxim, and I'm from Elcid.

:sun:: That's great. Welcome to Parcelyte. This is a great town, stay as long as you like.

: Thank you.

On the left side of town are a couple of houses we can visit.

: My name is Maxim. It's a pleasure to meet you.

: If you need any ruby jewelry, come to me. How about something for your girlfriend there?

: Girlfriend? You mean me? Hey, Maxim, did you that? He called me your girlfriend! Hahaha.

: What, her? Nah, she's just a good friend.

: H-Hey! You don't have to sound so shocked, you know!

He'll never love you and you will die alone.

Jaffy's back in this game too, but significantly less poverty-stricken. He provides a valuable service a little later in the game, so he's good for more than a silly questline too. There's nothing to do here right now, so let's get out of here and away from Tia.

: Yes, my name is Maxim. I'm from Elcid.

:keke:: Wow, you came all the way from there? What are you doing in Parcelyte?

: We're looking for strong warriors. Do you know anyone?

:keke:: Strong warriors, you say? Then you should see Selan.

: Selan?

:keke:: She's the toughest warrior in the Parcelyte Army. And she's very beautiful.

Pretty lady? Let's go see the pretty lady.

: Beautiful, you say? Interesting...

Maxim agrees with me.

: Maxim!

: Huh? What?

Lines like these lend credence to the idea that he's not nearly as dense as he pretends to me, I think, because it's not like he's completely uninterested in women. Just Tia.

Selan's house is actually right here, so let's drop in and say hi.

oh okay

: Actually, I'm just looking around the city.

: Oh sorry. I didn't mean to assume... I'm Louisa. What's your name?

: I'm Maxim.

: You look like quite a fighter. That's why I thought you'd be looking for Selan.

: Hm. So she's in charge of a lot of soldiers, huh? She must be pretty tough.

: Oh, she is. She's one of the most respected soldiers in the Parcelyte army.

Running up the main street takes us to the Presidential Manor, which is pretty fuckin' swanky.

: Yeah, it's quite a sight.

: Yeah, it is one of the three largest in the world. The other two are in the Bound Kingdom and in Gratze. According to the professor, the three together could produce even more energy than they put out separately.

: Really? I wonder what would happen if you attached them all to your sword, Maxim.

: I'd need a much bigger sword for starters.

: Yeah. And if you tried to Cross Dash, you might wind up in orbit!

I see literally nothing wrong with this idea can we try it?

: Yeah. Probably best to just leave 'em where they are.

Lame.

Going up stairs, while disregarding all the work they put into the landscaping is my idea of a good time.

what the gently caress that is so mean

: Ahhh! A snake!

:cawg:: Hahaha! Take another look! It's just a plain old rope! You're such a wimp!

: Waah!

:cawg:: Oh no, it's Selan! Run away!

: Selan! Wah, wah.

: Lamitty, you have to stop crying.

: But...But...

: But how come? Isn't it okay to cry when someone makes you feel bad?

: Maybe sometimes. But sometimes you've got to be strong instead.

: Really?

: If you cry, you're just giving the people teasing you what they want. Be strong, be fearless, and try to change things instead of crying about them.

: I don't know if I can...

: You can be strong if you try. And you can start by not crying so much.

: Okay...

: Are you kidding? That boy is crazy about her!

tia no that is not how human relationships work

: Then why does he tease her and make her cry?

: That's just how stupid boys show that they like girls when they're young.

We can go yell at Curtis for being a dick too, so that's nice. We'll overthrow the patriarchy for you Lamitty :unsmith:.

: My name is Maxim, and I hail from Elcid.

:hist101:: Well, you must know Albert, then.

: Yes, I know him.

:hist101:: Well, he used to live here in Parcelyte but moved many years ago to Elcid. I hope he is doing well. he was a great hero, after all.

:hist101:: Oh yes, he most certainly was. But he doesn't like to talk about it. But the things he accomplished...

Through the wooden doors is the President.

That is most certainly a redesign.

: It's very nice to meet you. I'm Maxim.

: So you're Maxim! You're the brave warrior who stood against Gades. My soldier owes you his life. I cannot thank you enough for that. Thank you!

: You're welcome. Though honestly, I didn't do much but get the stuffing beaten out of me.

: Don't be so modest! What you did took real bravery. I hope you'll enjoy your stay in Parcelyte.

: Thank you very much.

I think the interesting thing here is that Maxim in this game is just a normal guy who happens to kill monsters for a living. He's never referred to as "Sir", and most people have no idea who he is or what he's doing behind the scenes, which is quite a contrast from SNES Maxim who gets recognised right away.

The next thing on our agenda is to meet Selan and try to get her to join up with us, so we'll just have to come back when she's not working.

Or not.

:buddy:

: Yeah. Just stay out of our way, and you won't get hurt.

: No way! I'm not letting you thieves get away!

: How sweet. Naive and foolish, but sweet.

: I'm afraid we don't have time for a proper fight, so...

: A bomb!!

: It's huge!

: You've got 5 seconds to get out of here. So move it!

I didn't think so either.

: We must have been sold some bad bombs! How could someone cheat two honest thieves like us?

: W-We'll just have to switch to plan B. RUN FOR IT!!

: Shouldn't that explosion have hurt them?

: Hahaha! Guess they were lucky they got a bum bomb.

: Yes.

: I see, that makes things easier. They stole my family treasure, the "ruby apple." If you get it back, I'll give you a reward. How about it? Do you think you can do it?

Aaand that's how we tie that particular quest into this game.

: Alright.

: Really? You'll take the job?! Thank you! I'll leave it to you, then.

: Are you sure, Maxim? This might be a waste of time.

: Those thieves were right in front of me and I let them get away! I have to catch them!

: That was[sic] the thieves we're chasing! Let's go get 'em!

: Okay!

Poor Tanbel got demoted from a little town to an abandoned mine. It's located juuust north of Parcelyte now, in the mountains you can see in the map. As you might have also noticed, the big reason I held off this update, aside from the fact that the main LP hadn't reached Parcelyte until now, is Selan's introduction, which gets pushed up, while Guy's gets postponed considerably.

Next time, we'll have another dungeon update, with 100% more Tia, who, even though I've been ragging on her this update, is a pretty great field character.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 18, 2015

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.
Why, so I was. I must commit honorable Lufia 2 in shame!
/runs off to start a new game

Good update. Learned a few things there, aside from that I'd misremembered some spells. The Undead Ring thing was a major one.
I get the feeling that this game is so obtuse and mistranslated, that somebody would have to decompile it to actually figure out how it works.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blastinus posted:

One important detail to note is that the party members who fight alongside you are all, almost to a man, born prodigies. Destiny is a weird thing.

I think the one exception really is Tia. Granted, Maxim, Guy and Selan are the only ones who have that mysterious "practically came out of the womb swinging a sword" quality about them, but the other characters are exceptional in whatever field they're in.

Tia's just an ordinary girl who until recently ran an item shop and can use some magic.

It's not really explored very deeply, but I think a huge part of Tia's character is hidden in the fact she really is ludicrously out of her depth pretty much constantly.

SC Bracer posted:

: But how come? Isn't it okay to cry when someone makes you feel bad?

: Maybe sometimes. But sometimes you've got to be strong instead.

: If you cry, you're just giving the people teasing you what they want. Be strong, be fearless, and try to change things instead of crying about them.

: I don't know if I can...

: You can be strong if you try. And you can start by not crying so much.

: Okay...

I have to say, I like the way this exchange was translated/localized a lot better than the equivalent exchange in the SNES version. Which is advice you'd be more likely to give a girl getting bullied? "Don't let the bullies get to you", or "you need to save your tears because it's supposed to be important when girls cry :biotruths:"?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bluemage142 posted:

Good update. Learned a few things there, aside from that I'd misremembered some spells. The Undead Ring thing was a major one.
I get the feeling that this game is so obtuse and mistranslated, that somebody would have to decompile it to actually figure out how it works.

It's actually not obtuse. The Undead Ring follows the Lufia rule in that equipment is named after what's it's effective against (if said equipment provides any boosts etc.)

The actual detrimental equipment is named to actually fool you. I will always remember the Lucky Blade in the first game. (It was one of the first bits of Cursed Equipment.)

I do like how while the DS cuts out a lot of the 'filler' of the original games it still keeps the characters from those bit arcs.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 18, 2015

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

KataraniSword posted:

I have to say, I like the way this exchange was translated/localized a lot better than the equivalent exchange in the SNES version. Which is advice you'd be more likely to give a girl getting bullied? "Don't let the bullies get to you", or "you need to save your tears because it's supposed to be important when girls cry :biotruths:"?

It also just sounds like a better lesson to give as well, for telling you that sometimes you gotta take matters into your own hands and be strong. Who tells little girls not to cry because it's supposed to be important anyways? :psyduck:

If I had to guess, the DS script might have been changed from the SNES one. I wonder how the Japanese versions were?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Blastinus posted:

By the way, I haven't had the chance to show off Selan's attack animation yet. Of all the characters, she is the only one who has the gumption to slash up and to the left. Will we encounter someone who dares to conquer the down and to the right direction? Who knows.

Re-reading the update to comment on the next point I can't help but :xd: at this. It's something I've never noticed before!

Booky posted:

It also just sounds like a better lesson to give as well, for telling you that sometimes you gotta take matters into your own hands and be strong. Who tells little girls not to cry because it's supposed to be important anyways? :psyduck:

If I had to guess, the DS script might have been changed from the SNES one. I wonder how the Japanese versions were?

Overall the script is just better translated, aside from really weird translator inserts (Maxim's thoughts on Guy and Jesse apparently.) Knowing that I am rather curious how many of those were added in. While a weird insert may be possible here the 'don't cry because girl's tears are special' does sort of come up again.

It's still wrong/bad advice, but it comes up in a nice way again.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I don't know how to feel about Berty and Bart becoming Berty and Betty.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm trying understand why one would change up the order of Guy and Selan's introduction in the DS version, other than a simple case of "condensing and/or reshuffling content from the original". Especially since we meet the people involved during Guy's introduction as well, but not Guy himself.

Also, that is indeed one hell of a redesign for Miles. :stare:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, that is indeed one hell of a redesign for Miles. :stare:

Considering that Miles was originally another nameless king, I welcome this change.

Also, wow, that sure was almost every single plot hook we've encountered thus far condensed into a single city. If Berty and Bart Betty get suddenly attacked by a giant catfish while we're chasing them, I think we'll have a perfect score.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Blastinus posted:

YBURN, you have failed me for the last time! From now on, I'm sticking to Foomy.
Personally, I usually end up sticking to Foomy all the way until you get the other monster with very high Guts, then swap. It's just not worth the hassle to have your monster run away the instant it takes damage.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yeah, Cold Rapier on Maxim, Fire Dagger on Guy is pretty much all you need for the Clowns.

It's actually kind of impressive just how many enemies have specific weaknesses that you can hit by equipping the right weapon. Sadly, the main game's enemies are simple enough (particularly on 4x XP mode) that it tends to be basically optional - The clowns are easier with the proper elemental weapon and IP attack, but it's completely doable without it.

If you play in the bonus mode, however, abusing enemies' weaknesses can often be the difference between success and game over.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Blastinus posted:

Considering that Miles was originally another nameless king, I welcome this change.

Also, wow, that sure was almost every single plot hook we've encountered thus far condensed into a single city. If Berty and Bart Betty get suddenly attacked by a giant catfish while we're chasing them, I think we'll have a perfect score.

I'm like 99% sure we don't run into any catfish in the game, so I guess the glorious Namazu wasn't good enough for us DS plebs.

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm trying understand why one would change up the order of Guy and Selan's introduction in the DS version, other than a simple case of "condensing and/or reshuffling content from the original". Especially since we meet the people involved during Guy's introduction as well, but not Guy himself.

Guy's character gets something of a major rewrite in this version, and while it's probably kinda offensive for anyone having played the SNES version, his intro fits for who he is now. Keep in mind that nobody knows Maxim by face yet, and only a few important people have actually heard the name.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SC Bracer posted:

I'm like 99% sure we don't run into any catfish in the game, so I guess the glorious Namazu wasn't good enough for us DS plebs.

He was too busy getting another job in a Touhou game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SC Bracer posted:

: Yes, my name is Maxim. I am from Elcid.

: Yes, my name is Maxim, and I am from Elcid.

: Yeah, I'm Maxim, and I'm from Elcid.

: Yes, my name is Maxim. I'm from Elcid.

: My name is Maxim, and I hail from Elcid.

: Have I mentioned that I'm from Elcid lately? Because I am. From Elcid.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Stoked on this LP. One of my personal favorites and it goes criminally underrated.

It took me a long time to finally realize it, but The Last Duel is actually the greatest song in video game history. :colbert:

Have you ever wondered what select Lufia 2 tracks would sound like in the style of Mega Man X? Listen to this immediately.

edit: Uhhhh, sorry. Hadn't considered battle sprites might be considered spoilery.

Nilbog Resident fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 18, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nilbog Resident posted:

Stoked on this LP. One of my personal favorites and it goes criminally underrated.

It took me a long time to finally realize it, but The Last Duel is actually the greatest song in video game history. :colbert:

Have you ever wondered what select Lufia 2 tracks would sound like in the style of Mega Man X? Listen to this immediately.

:siren:DON'T CLICK THAT LINK IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE GAME ALREADY! MAJOR VISUAL SPOILERS:siren:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You know, Maxim is an okay dude. I really hope nothing bad happens to him at the end. :ohdear:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Nilbog Resident posted:

That's a strange way to spell For the Savior :smugbert:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's a strange way to spell For the Savior :smugbert:

You mean Battle Theme 3 :colbert:

Or The Lost World.

Or The Final Battle?

gently caress, I can't decide! At least we will hear Battle Theme 3 in the next update.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Torrannor posted:

:siren:DON'T CLICK THAT LINK IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE GAME ALREADY! MAJOR VISUAL SPOILERS:siren:

Oh no it shows what some of the bosses look like :geno:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
One interesting thing about the DS remake is that it adds in and remixes some songs from the original Lufia game to the soundtrack. I kinda wish they would have used a couple songs from the game boy color Lufia game because the boss theme for that game owns

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009

dude789 posted:

One interesting thing about the DS remake is that it adds in and remixes some songs from the original Lufia game to the soundtrack. I kinda wish they would have used a couple songs from the game boy color Lufia game because the boss theme for that game owns

I renounce allegiance to every other lufia song.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

dude789 posted:

Not gonna lie, I play with sound off so that the desmume recorder doesn't make my PC cry, so if you know more about the music in the DS version, please do tell.

Zereth posted:

: Have I mentioned that I'm from Elcid lately? Because I am. From Elcid.

He sure is. Not sure if it completely came across in the update, but I really wanted to put emphasis on how much of a nobody Maxim DS is early on in the game. He really is just a rando who got recruited into adventures by a cave lady.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 18, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The nearly identical phrasing of every "HI I'M MAXIM AND I'M FROM ELCID" is really what gets me.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

But never quite identical, showing that they took pains to mix it up slightly.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah you would think he'd just say his name after awhile or find something else notable to say about himself.

"Hi I'm Maxim, I fought Gades and didn't get killed!"
"My name's Maxim and I came here on a sweet Landship."
"Hello, I'm Maxim. I extended Gordovan Bridge with my own two feet and boy am I tired."

Unfortunately the GBC-ness of the audio keeps any of Lufia: The Legend Returns music from sticking in my head like Lufia 2's. It's still good though!

MagusofStars posted:

It's actually kind of impressive just how many enemies have specific weaknesses that you can hit by equipping the right weapon. Sadly, the main game's enemies are simple enough (particularly on 4x XP mode) that it tends to be basically optional - The clowns are easier with the proper elemental weapon and IP attack, but it's completely doable without it.

If you play in the bonus mode, however, abusing enemies' weaknesses can often be the difference between success and game over.

Yeah there's a lot of tactics that are worth trying out and keeping in mind because while 4X mode makes the game a breeze, using and learning tactics helps for the other modes and makes for a more involved play experience. Plus even 4X mode doesn't blunt some of the game's challenges.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 19, 2015

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Zereth posted:

The nearly identical phrasing of every "HI I'M MAXIM AND I'M FROM ELCID" is really what gets me.

I'M CAPTAIN BOSCH VON MAXIMBURG OF DELCIDKA :byodood:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

SC Bracer posted:

Not gonna lie, I play with sound off so that the desmume recorder doesn't make my PC cry, so if you know more about the music in the DS version, please do tell.

I am by no means an expert on the Lufia DS music. The only Lufia songs I definitely remember being in the remake are the regular battle theme, the boss battle theme, and the cave theme. Also I haven't been able to find the remixed versions of any of the songs which isn't a huge loss honestly. Aside from maybe the boss theme, the original Lufia music is pretty bland.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Raitzeno posted:

:byodood: DON'T BELIEVE GADES'S LIES :byodood:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vil posted:

But never quite identical, showing that they took pains to mix it up slightly.
Enough to show that they were re-writing it each time, but not enough to actually introduce variety.

Raitzeno posted:

:golfclap:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

You know, Maxim is an okay dude. I really hope nothing bad happens to him at the end. :ohdear:

He's the hero of the story and heroes don't get sent to the shadow zone. :colbert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting seeing the entirely new plot things in the DS Lufia. Parcelyte seems to have absorbed like 3-4 other towns too, which I suppose is fitting for its hugeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Speaking of the GBC Lufia sequel, it's actually on the 3DS eShop now. Maybe if it gets support, we'll actually see Lufia 2 on the WiiU's virtual console!

Hey, we can dream.

• Locked thread