Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

TheJoker138 posted:

Gamers may physically be over a certain age, but GamerGate has proven that mentally they're all 12 years old.

GamerGate has proven that all people who take internet fights seriously are mentally 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just play your games and stop giving a gently caress maybe?

Who gives a poo poo.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

as usual, what it really comes down to is not that [thing's] fans are annoying so much that fanatical monomaniacs are annoying, whatever they're into

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Video games are for children because most if not all can be reasonably played by children who have a basic understanding of what constitutes reality and fantasy.

So like all kids over six.

Except maybe the ones like Grand Theft Auto or the more gratuitous poo poo, but even I played games like that as a wee tender lad. Remember the Duke Nukem with the STRIPPERS? So scandalous, a giant square nipple pixel! But nowadays I guess we have the ESRB thanks Jack Thompson and Hillary Clinton and poo poo.

But yes, adults play video games too. Who cares. Most just don't have enough time for it as compared to when they were kids growing up with it.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
^^^
But the same can be said for all games . Board games, card games (a six year old can play poker and black jack), and sports teams start very early on. It doesn't matter if they suck or not at it. And really all tv shows, and movies can be watched by a kid, sneaking into R rated films is a right of passage.

Whats is something that only adults enjoy? Booze, drugs, and strippers? If you can afford those hobbies regularly, then I suppose video games would look lame. Or is it just strippers? Because even a kid can score weed and some beer.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shnag posted:

I'm Canadian actually :canada:. So "Even worst!" etc etc.

Even worse, not worst. I didn't realise Canadians were loving illiterate.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Op tbs (to be serious), I liked games a lot, still do to an extent and appreciate what they offer over other screen based activities but for me, I grew out of them when real life ramped up and so if somebody is still heavily into them taking my experience as a baseline, I just don't think that life has gotten real for them yet and so dismiss them easily. The second reason is that I think they repreent consumerist excess moreso than any other thing and I think that's lovely.

There ya go.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

The child is the father of man or however you say it. That's the answer. :ghost:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

opus111 posted:

Op tbs (to be serious), I liked games a lot, still do to an extent and appreciate what they offer over other screen based activities but for me, I grew out of them when real life ramped up and so if somebody is still heavily into them taking my experience as a baseline, I just don't think that life has gotten real for them yet and so dismiss them easily. The second reason is that I think they repreent consumerist excess moreso than any other thing and I think that's lovely.

There ya go.

Glad someone took the time to write out how I feel because I've always been too lazy to express it but yeah this is the reason

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

It's a distinction between "gamers" and "people who play video games". It's fine to play video games, but defining yourself by playing video games and having it be your only/main hobby/interest makes you a huge nerd loser.

Like almost everyone likes to watch TV now and then but if someone was like "Oh I'm a TVer and I watch 8 hours of TV a day and I'm in a TV guild" they'd be a huge nerd loser too.

im gay

The difference between "guy who is a gamer" and "guy who plays video games" is that the latter is trying to pretend he's not a total piece of poo poo while the former accepts the truth.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

It's a distinction between "gamers" and "people who play video games". It's fine to play video games, but defining yourself by playing video games and having it be your only/main hobby/interest makes you a huge nerd loser.

do you also get whipped into an autistic frenzy when someone that plays golf refers to themselves as a "golfer"

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Dr. Carwash posted:

do you also get whipped into an autistic frenzy when someone that plays golf refers to themselves as a "golfer"

yes i prefer sea of cortezer

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I hide the fact that I play games from everyone but other people I know play the games

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

opus111 posted:

There ya go.

So you are just pretentious? :confused:
If its already been established that a gamer is making money working, in what way is "life not real" for them?

Shnag fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 21, 2015

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

lol if you loving losers haven't grown out of that hobby into something more adult like collecting cigar clippings or building toy trains.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Vidya games are fun, but the problem is with the story and character part of video games. Most video games have unbelievably terrible writing, plots, and characters, and these are the things that a casual observer will see when they look at games, not the game play. Plus, human faces still look terrible in video games, even after all these years of computers getting more and more powerful.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Shnag posted:

So your just pretentious? :confused:
If its already been established that a gamer is making money working, in what way is "life not real" for them?

Because instead of doing something constructive with their free time - you know, something that they can be proud of, something that will make their life, another person's life or the world at large a slightly better place - they are wasting it sitting on their rear end like a huge bitch. "Making money working" is not the end-all of being an adult, and is in fact the very baseline.

Of course most people these days are huge manchildren. Just look at congress. Can't wait til we get some of the new generation up in there and instead of doing their job they just spend all day drinking and watching youtubers talk about the new upgrades in destiny

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Shnag posted:

I already know I am not going to get any actual answers but I figured it is worth a shot. According to this poll http://www.statista.com/statistics/189582/age-of-us-video-game-players-since-2010/ 71% of people who play video games are adults. Which really makes sense if you think about it. Video games are expensive, and consoles and PC's are even more so. A kid could easily expect an action figure from a friend on a birthday, but only a parent is going to drop $60+ a few times a year on a game. So at a minimum, a gamer, regardless of strawman being used, would need to be at least working. Also note that regardless of "Every gamer i know is a [blank]" statement, there are gamers who have SO's, regardless of how infuriating that may be.

The main point I am trying to understand what inherently is so immature about video games, as opposed to any other medium of entertain being displayed on a screen? The majority of goons watch shows on a screen, you get entertainment and pass time this way. Why does holding a controller change everything? If you are taking a girl home from a bar, and she starts playing candy crush, would you call her "A beta bitch human being gently caress!" and throw her out of the moving cab? If your buddy is showing off his man-cave before 'the big game', and he is listing things off like " 52 inch HD tv, gold monster cables, surround sound.." . And you stand there nodding your head "Yeah man! cool!" , but then he mentions his PS4. Wouldn't you immediately disown him as a friend, and slam his head through the TV screen? Would you point out that monster cables are a waste of money and you get one billion HDMI cables of new egg for that price and then hate him even more because doesn't shop the same way you do? Also, would you think playing video games is nerdy loser faggots but knowing specifically where you'd make such a purchase isn't?

I already know the quick answer is "To piss of people on the internet" , but i think there must be more to it to put so much effort into it. The thread about EB games was full of goons straight up thinking they were a aryan superman from nazi text because they chose not to shop at that store, and actually patted their own, and each others back over it. And that went on for pages and pages and pages. The hatred seems too strong just for trolling purposes.

good essay thabks

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
games are fun and much like TV and movies they take my mind off the endless cycle of drudgery that my life has become

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
i like to jerk off, but i dont like discussing it with other people

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Because instead of doing something constructive with their free time - you know, something that they can be proud of, something that will make their life, another person's life or the world at large a slightly better place - they are wasting it sitting on their rear end like a huge bitch. "Making money working" is not the end-all of being an adult, and is in fact the very baseline.

Of course most people these days are huge manchildren. Just look at congress. Can't wait til we get some of the new generation up in there and instead of doing their job they just spend all day drinking and watching youtubers talk about the new upgrades in destiny

Being pretentious just makes you genuinely pathetic. Do you actually have a point, or are you just taking a break on something awful comedy forums in between building hospitals for children in africa?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shnag posted:

So you are just pretentious? :confused:

doesnt it all jsut seem like a huge waste of time to you? I mean, I'll watch a lovely TV program before bed but that's 42 minutes of my gone, max, and it's super-passive so serves the purpose of winding you down for the night.

the other day i decided to start playing an old game on an emulator. I was sat there for like 2 hours, barely touched the total amount of stuff to do and just felt like a huge slug afterwards. im just speaking for myself but there's a tonne of other things that i think is more worthwhile to do at this point in my life.

pretty much all of my irl friends dont play games any more, too.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shnag posted:

Being pretentious just makes you genuinely pathetic. Do you actually have a point, or are you just taking a break on something awful comedy forums in between building hospitals for children in africa?

uh i dont think yo uknow what pretentious means, brah.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
have a read of neogaf, that'll tell you who videogames are for (the answer is autistic degenerates)

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
and did it take anyone else hours to farm the llewellyn set? they weren't dropping poo poo for me and i had to ascetic.
what kind of mutant would put up with this poo poo? some loser, i'd bet.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

opus111 posted:

doesnt it all jsut seem like a huge waste of time to you? I mean, I'll watch a lovely TV program before bed but that's 42 minutes of my gone, max, and it's super-passive so serves the purpose of winding you down for the night.

the other day i decided to start playing an old game on an emulator. I was sat there for like 2 hours, barely touched the total amount of stuff to do and just felt like a huge slug afterwards. im just speaking for myself but there's a tonne of other things that i think is more worthwhile to do at this point in my life.

pretty much all of my irl friends dont play games any more, too.

And? I actually don't get your point. So you are saying laying lazily in bed watching netflix is peak maturity while playing a match or two on a game makes you pathetic for no other reason that its not what you do, and what you do is cool awesome and great because its you who does it?

opus111 posted:

uh i dont think yo uknow what pretentious means, brah.

pre·ten·tious
prəˈten(t)SHəs/
adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

You are unironically bragging that you "Don't play video games." In what way are you not being pathetically pretentious? Be sure to tell me how you and all your friends sit at "The cool kids table" at the break room.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

video games are "for children" because you made that up in your dumb head op. break free of ur mental constraints and write an okcupid profile from the perspective of zelda, the hyrulian warrior and hero of time so women see ur creativity but also a little nerdy

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shnag posted:

And? I actually don't get your point. So you are saying laying lazily in bed watching netflix is peak maturity while playing a match or two on a game makes you pathetic for no other reason that its not what you do, and what you do is cool awesome and great because its you who does it?

pre·ten·tious
prəˈten(t)SHəs/
adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

You are unironically bragging that you "Don't play video games." In what way are you not being pathetically pretentious? Be sure to tell me how you and all your friends sit at "The cool kids table" at the break room.

lol ok dude.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
videogames, internet memes, anime and ponies are what define this new bold generation

Kuromyneko
Aug 21, 2014

Kuro neko

Now adays your a kid till your 35 :)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kuromyneko posted:

I'm going to buy up a bunch of Amiibos now so that when I'm 36 I can sell them just at the moment where I lose all interest in stupid children's poo poo. The moment I hit 36 I'll look at myself surrounded by plastic kiddy garbage and decide to make a change, then I'll be that unkempt guy hocking a bunch of pop culture poo poo and toys at a flea market. Every month of every year, until I die alone.

I mean, I'll keep buying that poo poo, but only because it's my way to make a living. It sits in my house but it's not "mine" it's just inventory, it's a legitimate business expenditure.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
What do amiibos do?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Kuromyneko posted:

this isn't gonna hold up in court hth

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I love all the things Judge Judy hates. Mostly weed and video games.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Arian_Samurai posted:

What do amiibos do?

Nobody really "knows" but 8 year old kids and 34 year old pedophiles love them.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
i wish there was some good games for kids because there isn't poo poo for my 5 year old that's worth a drat and I'm not going to buy a nintendo

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

Ramsus posted:

i wish there was some good games for kids because there isn't poo poo for my 5 year old that's worth a drat and I'm not going to buy a nintendo

*rushing into the thread, knocking over everything on the table, kicking a chair* have u considered linux?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
it's actually about respect in video game playing

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is only one god and Kojima is his prophet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

opus111 posted:

lol ok dude.

It's true though. There's no inherent value to any leisure activity, trying to construct some kind of absolute hobby hierarchy where your own interests just happen to be at the top is nothing more than self-delusion to maintain your misguided feelings of self worth.

If you enjoy doing something that's legal and does no harm to others just keep doing it and stop worrying about what others think. I mean it's retarded and lovely that some people think they can judge others based on their interests while being above reproach themselves, but that seems to be how most people think. There's no point in fighting it, just realise that cultural and societal norms don't mean poo poo unless you live and die by the judgement and acceptance of others.

Also I loving love video games and if you don't you're worthless subhuman scum.

• Locked thread