Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
If this whole thing turns into 3 more "illegitimate" superbowls. I'll be happy. Haters gonna Hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Thanks for the tautology :rollingeyes:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
The Ballocaust
Ballmageddon
ChernoBall
The Hindenball
The BallBonic Plague
The Assassination of Aballham Lincoln
Lee Harvey Ballswald
The Ball of Pigs
Pearl Harball
The Uniballer
Mass Ballsteria
The War on Ballsmas
The Ballston Massacre
Ballpox
EBalla
The Eruption of Ball St. Helens
Ball so soft university
GettysBall

And yet we are stuck with Deflategate or Ballghazi.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Febreeze posted:

The Ballocaust
Ballmageddon
ChernoBall
The Hindenball
The BallBonic Plague
Lee Harvey Ballswald
The Ball of Pigs
Pearl Harball
The Uniballer
Mass Ballsteria
The War on Ballsmas
The Ballston Massacre
Ballpox
EBalla
Ball so soft university
GettysBall

Deflatember 11th starring truther Pete Carroll

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
If nothing else, I hope that this leads to Belichick losing his seat/say when it comes to making pitching rule changes to the competition committee

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

They may have "had concerns" but those claims go right out the window in terms of verifiability when they didn't alert the refs. The article claims they only talked to the team equipment manager.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

If nothing else, I hope that this leads to Belichick losing his seat/say when it comes to making pitching rule changes to the competition committee

He's never been on it as far as I can remember, it's made up of:

Chairman: Rich McKay
Jeff Fisher (lol)
Stephen Jones
Marvin Lewis
John Mara
Mark Murphy (Packers)
Ozzie Newsome
Rick Smith (Texans)
Mike Tomlin (lol)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

WugLyfe posted:

They may have "had concerns" but those claims go right out the window in terms of verifiability when they didn't alert the refs. The article claims they only talked to the team equipment manager.

Exactly. This is sounding more and more like a combination of the hot room/warm air theory with NFL officials completely failing to do their jobs.

I'm more than happy to change my opinion in light of any new evidence, however.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

WugLyfe posted:

I agree they should have told the refs during the game, however the article does make note that the Colts did alert the "league", not just an equipment manager. Which meant the NFL was aware of issue going into Sunday's game.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Nothing is going to come of this they aren't going to be able to prove anything happened, but they won't be able to prove it wasn't foul play, so it's going to hang in the air like a wet fart erupting from Wilfork's rear end at precisely 13 PSI.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

I agree they should have told the refs during the game, however the article does make note that the Colts did alert the "league", not just an equipment manager. Which meant the NFL was aware of issue going into Sunday's game.

It's been almost 2 months since Week 11 when the teams played. If the NFL was aware, why was the investigation not started then?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The hot air in the ball hypothesis is ludicrous. Do you guys really think the air inside would stay hot long enough to affect any measurements? The inside air would reach equilibrium within a few minutes. It's a ball, not an oven

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

The hot air in the ball hypothesis is ludicrous. Do you guys really think the air inside would stay hot long enough to affect any measurements? The inside air would reach equilibrium within a few minutes. It's a ball, not an oven

That's a hot take! :downsrim:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

It's been almost 2 months since Week 11 when the teams played. If the NFL was aware, why was the investigation not started then?

The NFL only seems to investigate things the media makes a big deal out of?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
@AbramsonPBP: Vegas has 15-2 odds that Belichick is suspended for the Super Bowl

Can anyone help me confirm/deny this?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

@AbramsonPBP: Vegas has 15-2 odds that Belichick is suspended for the Super Bowl

I should bet against it.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Leon Einstein posted:

Two callers on PFWinProgress (yes, it's a patriots.com radioshow) tested it the last two days with their football teams (highschool) and found the balls deflated by 1.65 and 2.8 PSI on average, at the same temperature it was during the game. It's not verified by any means but I think it's possible that it was by natural causes.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

The Ballocaust
Ballmageddon
ChernoBall
The Hindenball
The BallBonic Plague
Lee Harvey Ballswald
The Ball of Pigs
Pearl Harball
The Uniballer
Mass Ballsteria
The War on Ballsmas
The Ballston Massacre
Ballpox
EBalla
Ball so soft university
GettysBall

"Ballumbine High School Massacre" didn't make this list and I don't know why.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

MacheteZombie posted:

Yes but unironically.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

football fuckerman posted:

I dont understand what this little argument is getting at. That the accusations are just made up? Or that the refs were in on it?

Don't you explain it to me, somebody else. not you though

I think there's this weird line of thought that goes "well if the refs didn't notice it and stop them then it's the NFL's fault!"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MacheteZombie posted:

For example, Ray Rice.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Dirt Worshipper posted:

SPECIAL (NE @ SEA) - Will Bill Belichick be suspended for the Super Bowl for the Deflated Ball scandal?

Yes +750
No -1500

SPECIAL (NE @ SEA) - Will Bill Belichick be suspended for at least 1 game for the Deflated Ball scandal?

Yes +150
No -200

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Lol on the nfl network Jerome Bettis and mark Brunel did a blind test where they had to catch 3 different footballs, one overinflated, one under inflated, and one normal and they both got it right without hesitation

Nov 6, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

Two callers on PFWinProgress (yes, it's a patriots.com radioshow) tested it the last two days with their football teams (highschool) and found the balls deflated by 1.65 and 2.8 PSI on average, at the same temperature it was during the game. It's not verified by any means but I think it's possible that it was by natural causes.

So there were weather conditions localized to just half the stadium?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

As much as I want this to be definitive, we really need a less potentially biased source to do this.

It's about ethics in conjuring up explanations to hide cheating at sportball.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
The best outcome of this is like someone mentioned earlier: they just heated up the balls so the pressure would rise enough to pass inspection, so they could use the "read the rulebook, nothing in there about the temperature of the ball" excuse. That would get me to root for the patriots

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

GaussianCopula posted:

So were the Packers and Cowboys playing with a shriveled sack of a ball during the ice bowl? That temperature differential must've been huge!

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

GaussianCopula posted:

Victory on the Charles (Law).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
So now that Belichick has been behind both Spygate and PSIgate, what are the odds the NFL will just ban him for cheating?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

NC-17 posted:

So there were weather conditions localized to just half the stadium?

It's so unlikely to be almost a laugh, but if Luck likes his balls at the very upper end of the spectrum or even a little overinflated like Rogers does, and Brady likes his soft and supple, and even slightly underinflated (bending the rules more than outright breaking them), then atmospheric conditions could have pushed Brady's balls way down low while keeping Luck's snugly in the legal range.

I mean it almost certainly didn't happen like that but there's plausible deniability.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Chilichimp posted:

So now that Belichick has been behind both Spygate and PSIgate, what are the odds the NFL will just ban him for cheating?

Zero unfortunately. Roger Goodell is the one in charge of punishment remember.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Chilichimp posted:

0%

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Chilichimp posted:

Gregg Williams is still allowed in the league and his actions caused players to be actually hurt.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Chilichimp posted:

Zero. Even if the NFL had Balls, deflating the football doesn't seem like a huge infraction in the grand scheme of the game. Belichick would need to practically shoot or poison the opponent to get kicked out.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Peter King's article and he obviously tends to be on the side of league office thinking.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/21/patriots-tom-brady-bill-belichick-deflategate-ball-controversy/

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
And let's be honest. We call him billy five aces for a reason. He's a fucker but he's a great coach and has been good for the game. He just looks for edges (99% legal) wherever he can get them and doesn't give a poo poo about what the media thinks

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
I think it all depends on where they check the pressure. If they initially check them inside at room temperature prior to the game where they were inflated to the minimum requirement, brought them outside where the temperature dropped, the atmospheric pressure changed with the weather system, and evaporative cooling from the rain cooled the balls down even further, it is extremely realistic for the ball to drop 2 psi. However, if they brought it back to the same temperature it was initially measured and it was down 2 psi, the change in atmospheric pressure wouldn't have that much of an impact alone and that is a much different story. I have no love for the patriots, but I'm putting money on the refs not doing their job and that this is something that occurs very often with zero shits given by anyone.

Nov 6, 2002

scavok posted:

I think it all depends on where they check the pressure. If they initially check them inside at room temperature prior to the game where they were inflated to the minimum requirement, brought them outside where the temperature dropped, the atmospheric pressure changed with the weather system, and evaporative cooling from the rain cooled the balls down even further, it is extremely realistic for the ball to drop 2 psi. However, if they brought it back to the same temperature it was initially measured and it was down 2 psi, that is a much different story. I have no love for the patriots, but I'm putting money on the refs not doing their job and that this is something that occurs very often with zero shits given by anyone.

The latest report said they were checked 5 minutes before kickoff. Which in *theory* you'd think means the balls must already be outside at that point. I mean you see the quarterbacks warming up and throwing balls around long before the game starts anyway. They must be outside for quite a bit before kickoff.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 21, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So apparently it's been confirmed that the balls used by the Patriots in the second half were the ref approved backup balls, meaning the original ones were taken out of circulation. So the Patriots scored 28 points and were nearly flawless in the second half with the properly inflated balls, after struggling with the bad balls in the first.

Which begs the question. Why on loving Earth did the team mess with the balls at all? This makes me feel worse because it has to be the most stupid way to cheat of all time because it was soooo unnecessary. They might have won 60 to 7 if they just followed the goddamned rules. But they didn't. And that's the problem, I'm not going to be one of those guys going "durr the Pats could have played with beachballs and won by 20." That's not the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which begs the question. Why on loving Earth did the team mess with the balls at all? This makes me feel worse because it has to be the most stupid way to cheat of all time because it was soooo unnecessary. They might have won 60 to 7 if they just followed the goddamned rules.

Obviously because they believed/imagined there was some kind of advantage. I mean why the hell did they bother taping signals for teams they weren't going to play again for years? Same reason.

• Locked thread