Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm just going to keep telling myself that they'll be better when they get healthy. Hornqvist, Letang, Malkin (though I don't think the last two are very hurt), Comeau... Maybe hornqvist and comeau being healthy benches Adams (addition by subtraction)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I dunno that I'd call that a really good game. It was an markedly improved showing, especially without Malkin and Letang in the lineup.
Sutter was more or less invisible.
Fleury was... I don't know what the gently caress he was doing at the end there

I mean the 1st wasn't great, but the 2nd, 3rd and most of OT were good. Plus Scuderi actually looked decent, Pouliot looked good, Bortuzzo had a great game, and the 3rd line of Arcobello-Goc-Downie worked out really well. Also somehow Zack loving Sill scored a for real goal in the NHL. So there's that too.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Freddy could possibly get the call, just due to the press he's been getting over his hilarious record in wins/losses for his career.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Lobsterboy posted:

Columbus - Pittsburgh / Detroit / Philly needs to happen in Ohio Stadium, REAL BAD.

108k Record attendance, and with a chance to beat the Big House in a record for something? Hell yes.

Funny you mention this because Aaron Portzline talked about it today in the weekly Dispatch CBJ chat when asked if a successful ASG would do wonders in helping Columbus' case.

The biggest problem comes in the form of the assholespeople who own The Shoe.

quote:

I don't think it's a tryout, per se. I think the league knows that Columbus could pull that off. If they don't, they'll be convinced further this weekend. The trick is going to be -- again, see previous message -- convincing the behemoth down the street that it should turn its football stadium over for a couple of weeks to benefit the local hockey team. I'm not sure they want to do that. That, to me, is the big hurdle. If that hurdle is cleared -- some way it wouldn't be an issue - then an outdoor game here is an inevitability.

The question will be if the neighbors up the road will be neighborly or feel threatened that THAT OTHER FUCKIN' SPORTS TEAM IN TOWN IS TARNISHING THE IMAGE OF THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY. Of course, you could just tell OSU folks who would probably make a stink that The Big House did it and they'll all snap to attention like an army ready to outdo their rivals.

This, of course, is the same organization which scheduled their championship rally for Saturday morning (though at least they scheduled it so it's well before any of the All-Star weekend activities and would allow people wanting to do both the chance to do so).

quote:

The team and the league were more than a little miffed, and they have every right to be. They tempered their thoughts later, so as not to look as petty. But, it wasn't well received, and just the latest slight by the big behemoth down the street. As one Philadelphia writer friend of mine said: "Man, oh, man. The Eagles wouldn't do that to the Flyers ... and this is Philly."

In terms of "slights", apparently there have been unfriendly moments from even before the team was born. Something about Value City Arena being not supposed to have luxury boxes and they got them anyway because Gordon Gee did some delightful asskissing of Ohio politicians, etc.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 22, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

DOOMocrat posted:

We still wouldn't be dead last in attendance three years in a row, unlike some former Minnesota teams I won't mention

Wait a sec, who went 28-21-28 in attendance out of 30? Congratulations. Attendance was down because a lovely owner from a lovely company refused to pay his share for an arena. When Minneapolis said "NOW KISS" with the Timberwolves and North Stars in relation to the Target Center. Norm backed off. Since he couldn't have it his way and have all he wanted, he changed things up and moved them south. He then piledrived his other business franchises into the ground. Following this he tried to find a way to get a new arena and move from Texas before Tom Hicks picked up the team, assembled a superstar team, won a Stanley Cup. Congrats.

I really don't mind Dallas as much as my posts may suggest, and I was on the receiving end of an absolute reaming by an Arizona Coyotes fan after poking fun of their troubles, so yeah.

:tipshat:

i love you all :glomp:

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 22, 2015

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
I hope we see Roy playing in an alumni game for Colorado and right after going to coach the real game :allears:

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Trade Clarkson while he's at his peak value!

I'm completely on board for this, because it means we can offload Dale Weise. I know it seems that I'm insane for trading a gritty forward for another gritty forward, but it all makes sense when you realize that Weise looks like this...

while Clarkson looks like this.

Handsome hockey players are, without exception, better than hockey players who look like hockey players. Lundqvist, Jagr, Subban, and Price are all elite players. Tyler Kennedy and his ilk are all pig faced scrubs. You might say Kopitar is the exception, but bear in mind that he's surrounded by players who can go outside without getting garlic and holy water thrown at him. Dude couldn't even get a single date with Kim Kardashian. Talk about getting carried by your team.

The point stands though is that Clarkson is better looking than all the dumb worthless scrubs I brought up. "But Dale!" you might say, "why would you want the Habs to take on $4 million extra for twice the years?" Why wouldn't you, you brain dead halfwit? The tried and true North American mentality has always been more money = better. Clarkson makes more because he deserves it. We as a society haven't questioned it yet, so why do wanna do something like that now? At least Toronto gets that right.

Problem is that Toronto doesn't know how to judge good players others than throwing sacks of cash at them. It's been that way ever since they ruined Mike Komisarek. How do you expect a world beater like Clarkson to grow in a market that pulls poo poo like this?

Weise would be fine though, we won't miss him at all while he uses the thick hide he developed after all those years playing in Vancouver. Besides, if some like ol' Horse Man can transform from 4th line scrub to 3rd/2nd line scoring threat, Clarkson could very well become and unstoppable force of nature.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

myron cope posted:

I'm just going to keep telling myself that they'll be better when they get healthy. Hornqvist, Letang, Malkin (though I don't think the last two are very hurt), Comeau... Maybe hornqvist and comeau being healthy benches Adams (addition by subtraction)

Adams is never getting benched so long as he's on the roster. Ever.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
drat, I didn't realize Clarkson was such a hunk.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can we just have Penguins vs Blackhawks for every game?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
:siren:Dallas Fans, Avatar Bet:siren:

I will wear the Dallas Stars logo loud and proud with :qq: esque text for the rest of the season if Dallas wins @ the Wild on Feb. 22, a game I will be at.

In exchange, Wild win, you wear around a Minnesota North Stars with :qq: esque text. This bet is probably very stupid but hey, let's do it ;)

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Lundqvist being an all star only because of a massive amount of injuries would be funny.

Don't look now, but he's quietly turned on godmode as he usually does about a third of the way through the season. He went as low as a .909 if memory serves [hfboards]TRADE THIS USELESS HUNK OF poo poo FOR A FOURTH LINE GRINDER! HE DOESN'T HAVE THE GRIT ANY MORE!![/hfboards] and he's already up to .921 with plenty of season left.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

xzzy posted:

If other teams would comply, we could get a Penguins/Blackhawks SCF.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't wait to read my first "How badly do the Maple Leafs miss Randy Carlyle?' article.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

xzzy posted:

After pens/flyers we heard "can pens/flyers be every game"

After pens/blackhawks "can pens/blackhawks be every game"

Pens best team in the league :cool:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

myron cope posted:

After pens/flyers we heard "can pens/flyers be every game"

After pens/blackhawks "can pens/blackhawks be every game"

they're just too gritty & dreamy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

myron cope posted:

More like they bring out the best in whoever they play. :v:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Overwined posted:

Don't look now, but he's quietly turned on godmode as he usually does about a third of the way through the season. He went as low as a .909 if memory serves [hfboards]TRADE THIS USELESS HUNK OF poo poo FOR A FOURTH LINE GRINDER! HE DOESN'T HAVE THE GRIT ANY MORE!![/hfboards] and he's already up to .921 with plenty of season left.

Oh no, I know. He always has a rough start (these last two years have been worse though) and then puts up stellar numbers. He's perinially a top goalie and that he'd be a 5th string goalie would be hilarious.

I know the ASG is supposed to be based on this year's performance, but the guy is already back up to above average numbers after a shirt start. Eh. I'd rather he get the rest anyway, and honestly wish Halas wasn't going so he could rest as well.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Guignol posted:

am I the only one who thinks this is a good idea

It's part of a potential AHL West. Unfortunately the rest of AHL West hasn't been finalised so it may not be more than 2 or 3 teams. Alternatively it could be 5. The downsides are travel, which would be drastically reduced if there are more AHL West teams.

They'd get great attendance and they'd be super close to the Sharks. They'd be a long loving way away from most of the other AHL teams though, and from the Sharks when they're playing out east if the minisharks are not out east at the same time. Overall, I think it's great, but be aware of the downsides.

I feel based on the post you were quoting that I should note that Edmonton and Calgary share their arenas with WHL teams, but they did not decide it was a good idea to do so with their AHL affiliates, or they didn't want to shake things up or they're incompetent or whatever. AHL travel is a bitch if you're far away from everything else c.f. Abbotsford Heat, St. John's Ice Caps.

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 22, 2015

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

toe knee hand posted:

It's part of a potential AHL West. Unfortunately the rest of AHL West hasn't been finalised so it may not be more than 2 or 3 teams. Alternatively it could be 5. The downsides are travel, which would be drastically reduced if there are more AHL West teams.

They'd get great attendance and they'd be super close to the Sharks. They'd be a long loving way away from most of the other AHL teams though, and from the Sharks when they're playing out east if the minisharks are not out east at the same time. Overall, I think it's great, but be aware of the downsides.

I feel based on the post you were quoting that I should note that Edmonton and Calgary share their arenas with WHL teams, but they did not decide it was a good idea to do so with their AHL affiliates, or they didn't want to shake things up or etc. AHL travel is a bitch if you're far away from everything else c.f. Abbotsford Heat, St. John's Ice Caps.

It's going to be fine and will happen. Machinations are in place for Manchester (LA) to Ontario, CA; Norfolk (ANA) to San Diego; Adirondack (CGY) to Stockton; Worcester (SJS) to SJ; and there is the maybe/maybe not of OKC (EDM) to Bakersfield. ECHL teams in those cities are expected to move East. The exception is San Diego, which does not have a team. Bakersfield will move to Norfolk, and Anaheim will most likely keep their ECHL squad in Salt Lake City.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Wait a sec, who went 28-21-28 in attendance out of 30? Congratulations. Attendance was down because a lovely owner from a lovely company refused to pay his share for an arena. When Minneapolis said "NOW KISS" with the Timberwolves and North Stars in relation to the Target Center. Norm backed off. Since he couldn't have it his way and have all he wanted, he changed things up and moved them south. He then piledrived his other business franchises into the ground. Following this he tried to find a way to get a new arena and move from Texas before Tom Hicks picked up the team, assembled a superstar team, won a Stanley Cup. Congrats.

I really don't mind Dallas as much as my posts may suggest, and I was on the receiving end of an absolute reaming by an Arizona Coyotes fan after poking fun of their troubles, so yeah.

:tipshat:

i love you all :glomp:

None of those numbers are last. And what's this Green moving the team FROM Dallas thing? I can't find anything on it, I could be wrong. But at first glance it seems like it comes from a State of somethin' that isn't hockey. And bad owners? Man, Hicks killed TWO sports in this town.

I don't hate the Wild, and I don't blame North Stars fans. I do have a bit of a chip from 20+ years of shade from people claiming Dallas (and kinda Southern markets period) fans are somehow undeserving when we've never drawn less than the North Stars post 85, including after the cup run.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Tom Hicks nearly turned Liverpool into MK Dons v.2. He is not a good owner.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

DOOMocrat posted:

None of those numbers are last. And what's this Green moving the team FROM Dallas thing? I can't find anything on it, I could be wrong. But at first glance it seems like it comes from a State of somethin' that isn't hockey. And bad owners? Man, Hicks killed TWO sports in this town.

I don't hate the Wild, and I don't blame North Stars fans. I do have a bit of a chip from 20+ years of shade from people claiming Dallas (and kinda Southern markets period) fans are somehow undeserving when we've never drawn less than the North Stars post 85, including after the cup run.

I swear there was an article about Green getting very shifty and trying to find different arenas in '95 before consigning himself and selling the team. My facts might be wrong I guess. The state of the North Stars was very sad at the late eighties. My dad and grandfathers quote was "It was like a light went out". They'd been attending N* games since '67, when the jerseys got changed and Norm bought the team he stopped doing stuff like ticket prices and from what I can gather on the internet concession prices rose to ungodly levels. In a state where a high school hockey tournament can sell out easily, something has gone terrible horribly wrong. The North Stars were never on solid ground, and the expansion draft (where the NHL got a lot of money from San Jose, the North Stars, and their relocation! Weird). The San Jose situation messed things up. Eh. Whatever. This is pointless. What I'm most sad about is the name. The North Stars jerseys are so cool and the name is awesome :(

I had a part about Tom Hicks and the collapse of Liverpool and Dallas but I took it out since that was expanding the borders of the argument.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 22, 2015

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

mich posted:

So now we're just waiting for Luongo and Bobrovsky to suffer injuries.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Goalie Bob left tonight's game midway through the second. Had to be helped off the ice by Dubinsky and Hartnell.

Whoever said "All we need are Bob and Luongo to go down to have all the good goalies hurt" might want to give Bobby Lu a courtesy Tweet.

I'm sorry! :ohdear:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Look Around You posted:

I mean the 1st wasn't great, but the 2nd, 3rd and most of OT were good. Plus Scuderi actually looked decent, Pouliot looked good, Bortuzzo had a great game, and the 3rd line of Arcobello-Goc-Downie worked out really well. Also somehow Zack loving Sill scored a for real goal in the NHL. So there's that too.
I actually thought it was a pretty good game because the team seemed to realize that they can't always play some pretty attempt to walk into the zone poo poo every night and instead just started dumping and chasing. That coupled with actually winning some corner battles it meant we kept getting some decent chances.

Just a shame Perron couldn't finish his deke around Crawford but the team actually looked a helluva lot better tonight and hopefully people can start getting healthy.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mich posted:

I'm sorry! :ohdear:

Corey Crawford, legitimate NHL All-Star! Thanks mich!

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

N: Zack Sill third star in Pens loss tonight.

V: :stare:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I hear Larry Brooks said that Lundqvist actually turned down an all-star game invite to replace Howard so they went with Fleury or Halak or whoever. Then again it's Larry Brooks and you never know if he's reporting sources or just making poo poo up

e: or apparently it's a tweet that he suggests that when Lundqvist said he'd appreciate the rest of the all-star break then the NHL didn't come calling. Again, with Brooks it's hard to tell if he got info from a source or he's making it up. Who knows!

Levitate fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 22, 2015

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Mage_Boy posted:

N: Zack Sill third star in Pens loss tonight.

V: :stare:

He scored a real life goal with a real life shot! It wasn't even a lovely scrum garbage goal, he really shot the hockey puck past the goaltender into the hockey net! And it was past the other team's goaltender into the other teams hockey net! I'm amazed. The media doing the 3 stars were probably just as amazed as I was.

Mustard Plant
Jun 16, 2003

NOBODY DOES GAY LIKE THE COMMONWEALTH OF PA

Look Around You posted:

He scored a real life goal with a real life shot! It wasn't even a lovely scrum garbage goal, he really shot the hockey puck past the goaltender into the hockey net! And it was past the other team's goaltender into the other teams hockey net! I'm amazed. The media doing the 3 stars were probably just as amazed as I was.

Bonus graphic. Also still funny.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'm glad everyone thinks Brian Elliott is a fluke for like 4 years in a row because I'd rather not have him get hurt or lose energy in the stupid ASG.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hoss was so dreamy in OT, crying shame he couldn't bury his chance.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

xzzy posted:

Hoss was so dreamy in OT, crying shame he couldn't bury his chance.

Yeah that was pretty gross. Good gross for what Hossa did and bad gross for what Harrington did at the same time

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I thought Pouliot looked real good

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Ginette Reno posted:

I thought Pouliot looked real good

and the fancy stats agree! He was 61% CF at ES (highest Pen's defenseman) while the Pens were 52%.

e: oh we should probably be in GDT

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shootouts should involve a defenseman.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Man, that empty net goal from Kesler was his first point in like 6 games. Weird since Kyle Palmieri has been ripping it up on his wing.

E: Also, this was like the 22nd straight loss for the Flames at Honda center tonight or something, longest active streak in the NHL and top 5 all-time.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I'm sad Bob got hurt but happy the Jets won. It was no ones fault too. Just a poor motion of movement.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Was the All-Star Game built on an ancient Indian burial ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Heaf posted:

It's going to be fine and will happen. Machinations are in place for Manchester (LA) to Ontario, CA; Norfolk (ANA) to San Diego; Adirondack (CGY) to Stockton; Worcester (SJS) to SJ; and there is the maybe/maybe not of OKC (EDM) to Bakersfield. ECHL teams in those cities are expected to move East. The exception is San Diego, which does not have a team. Bakersfield will move to Norfolk, and Anaheim will most likely keep their ECHL squad in Salt Lake City.

If this actually happens I'm going to have a really difficult time NOT getting a Heatley jersey and becoming a Ducks fan.

No irony - they should give Brodeur the "extra" All Star spot. He's the only guy left who would actually probably want to play.

• Locked thread