Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Zombies' Downfall posted:

A bunch of retards, at least on SA, were mad about the sunbro covenant in Dark Souls 2 because of "memes" or something.

Really? I kept up pretty good with both DS2 threads and don't remember any of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EC posted:

Really? I kept up pretty good with both DS2 threads and don't remember any of this.

I do remember one goon being angry about that. Forget who tho.

Basically everything in DS1 serves the game's narrative or themes coherently, even the hardcore lore nerds can't make Dark Souls 2 make sense without making ridiculous conjectural leaps, and basically the only conclusion that works is that the game is about memory loss and uncertainty and incoherence which is a case you could make for basically any story that doesn't make sense

Both games use the same storytelling devices, just the ones in Dark Souls tell a story that mostly makes sense and the ones in DS2 don't

If you don't think people don't make HUGE conjectural leaps about Dks lore you're kind of dumb. See most everything relating to Priscilla, Velka, some one off poo poo (I remember someone, I think ENB, going off for several minutes on the loving Effigy Shield, one of the shield contest winners) and other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

The only difference is that Dark Souls II likes to state very few things straight out, instead giving multiple possibilities or asking a question (like with the Dull Ember description).

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I can't wait to see people proclaiming that BB is in the Dark Souls universe when the MLGS is revealed to be in the game :allears:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
These games provide a fun foundation for your own imagination to fill in the blanks about what happened and how. There are clues, but few actual answers.

Trying to determine what's "correct" is only a path toward frustration. It's more fun to just assume that a given piece of lore's significance is whatever you would most enjoy it to be.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

I can't wait to see people proclaiming that BB is in the Dark Souls universe when the MLGS is revealed to be in the game :allears:

Just you wait, you'll be wandering around - open a chest and BAM Catarina armor set with tattered rags all over it up in your face. I also foresee a Xanthous Crown somewhere.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
We saw a Demon's reference already in the Bloodborne beta, right?

umbasa

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

superh posted:

We saw a Demon's reference already in the Bloodborne beta, right?

umbasa

That + Evetta Muradasilova doing some sort of voice + the beast theme-ing + working with Sony means there's a decent chance it is a direct sequel to Demon's Souls, set in an age where the Old One has long been dormant, so there's not much magic around.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Demon's Souls was my favorite game of the past like 8 years, though I didn't pick up either Dark Souls title for really no reason at all, other than I don't have the motivation to play video games these days. But I'm very excited to get this game on release day.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

knox posted:

Demon's Souls was my favorite game of the past like 8 years, though I didn't pick up either Dark Souls title for really no reason at all, other than I don't have the motivation to play video games these days. But I'm very excited to get this game on release day.

You really should. Dark Souls at the least does the impossible job of being a worthy follow-up to Demon's Souls.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Space Hamlet posted:

Whenever I look up videos of first-timers playing through Lost Izalith after all the patches came out, they seem to have an okay time - they find the bonfire, they use the telescope to figure out where to go, they usually only have to fight one dragonbutt or so. They don't often make any vocal observation that the area is worse than the others in the game.

I've mentioned it multiple times before, but feel compelled to recount again my new player experience through lost izalith.

I never put on or checked the description of the ring you get from killing the centipede demon.
Yep....

Flash sweat, black iron, red stoneplate (I have no idea if this does anything) and creative platforming until I finally got completely stuck at the long gap between the hidden bonfire and the main area.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
So has anyone else had this issue with DS? My PS3 is really crapping out on me :( nearly every time I load a file, this happens:

And the game hangs on about 50% of load screens. Should I take my PS3 apart and try to clean the laser?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

That blows duder. I'd take it out back and tell it about the rabbits, depending on how much it'd be to repair.

Would it really be so bad if BB takes places in the soulsverse?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I got the impression pretty much all of From's games take place in the tangled skein of the Fromverse. Trusty Patches came from an Armoured Core title, remember.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Armoured Core is set in the farflung spacefuture of Lordran. Just you wait, one of the hidden unlockable parts for a Core will be an onion-shaped head.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I had no idea From (or Atlus, whichever) made the AC titles, it's been years since I played or paid attention to them.

Honestly the idea of a self-contained loreverse strikes me as pretty cool, magic in the dawn and dying out in the twilight and all.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Frankosity posted:

I got the impression pretty much all of From's games take place in the tangled skein of the Fromverse. Trusty Patches came from an Armoured Core title, remember.

Don't forget Otsdarva of Boletaria.

(I think there actually was another but I forget.)

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
if the blood borne game doesn't have a the gloom set somewhere i'm killing a man

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

There's a few cross-references with Otogi too. That and its sequel were some of the best games on the Xbox and were fiendishly difficult.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
To this day, I am still inconsolable that Otogi wasn't playable on X360.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Basically everything in DS1 serves the game's narrative or themes coherently, even the hardcore lore nerds can't make Dark Souls 2 make sense without making ridiculous conjectural leaps, and basically the only conclusion that works is that the game is about memory loss and uncertainty and incoherence which is a case you could make for basically any story that doesn't make sense

Both games use the same storytelling devices, just the ones in Dark Souls tell a story that mostly makes sense and the ones in DS2 don't

Yeah, and the point is none of that has anything to do with Dark Souls 2 being a sequel to Dark Souls 1, was the entire loving point. :doh:

Original = makes sense, but sequel = doesn't make sense? For that matter Dark Souls had elements of Demon's, so whatever! :v:

I'm not saying DS2 has a better story than DS1 dude. I'm saying the original reason you offered as to WHY the story is worse is total bullshit.

Broseph Brostar posted:

How does the Armored Core storyline fit into the Dark Souls canon exactly? :haw:

Brume Tower was on mars? :tinfoil: Ravens are hollows?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 23, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

So what IS Drangleic anyway? I haven't really looked into the story since before the DLC came out. The popular theory at the time the game came out was that it was a distorted mishmash of the past, present and future of Lordran.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So what IS Drangleic anyway? I haven't really looked into the story since before the DLC came out. The popular theory at the time the game came out was that it was a distorted mishmash of the past, present and future of Lordran.

AFAIK Drangleic was a kingdom that was borne from the ashes of Lordran a long time later, assuming the player character from DS1 re-lit the first flame and kept poo poo going.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

the correct theory is that, as is explained in-game, drangleic is a kingdom that existed and fell some short time before you arrived in it, and exists on the ashes and ruins of kingdoms that were in the same spot, one of which probably was lordran

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's a few cross-references with Otogi too. That and its sequel were some of the best games on the Xbox and were fiendishly difficult.

Oh my god I completely forgot about Otogi.

...is it worth playing at this point?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh my god I completely forgot about Otogi.

...is it worth playing at this point?

Absolutely. You need an OG Xbox though. The 360 doesn't support it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

tlarn posted:

Armoured Core is set in the farflung spacefuture of Lordran. Just you wait, one of the hidden unlockable parts for a Core will be an onion-shaped head.

I would do bad things for an Armoured Souls game.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Zaphod42 posted:

I didn't really care for painted world that much? I mean it was really cool how different it was, but... eh? I liked lots of parts of DS1 better. Hell, I liked blighttown better. :shrug:

But no, I agree with you there, DS1's DLC is the best in the souls' series.

DS1 DLC > DS2 DLC > DS1 > DS2

I'm super jazzed for the changes, mostly because of multi. They could do more, but they're at least doing a lot of things that we really need.

I'd agree with this ordering were it not for the monster design in the DS2 DLC, which I generally found to be really annoying to fight and very samey. It's a shame too, 'cause the level design was really quite good and possibly some of the best in the series.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Otogi could use a HD upgrade on the new consoles. The combat in that game is incredibly fun and satisfying.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Brackhar posted:

I'd agree with this ordering were it not for the monster design in the DS2 DLC, which I generally found to be really annoying to fight and very samey. It's a shame too, 'cause the level design was really quite good and possibly some of the best in the series.

you're garbage. you're trash.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
DLC for Bloodborne is just more of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTsjb46ECA

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm okay with that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Metal Wolf Chaos was by From Software?!? How did I not know that?

Oh my god :allears: this changes everything.

Is there a moonbeam somewhere in Metal Wolf Chaos?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think I made a mistake by previously watching most Bloodborne footage on mute. I watched some alpha footage earlier and the combat sounds so nasty and the soundtrack is insanely good. It sounds so menacing and intense.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

The sounds are extremely visceral, I'll give them that. The enemy movement and attacks are crazy ferocious, that courtyard fight against whatever that man turns into looks wild.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/01/23/ps4-exclusive-bloodborne-will-support-2-5-players-online-according-to-playstation-store/

2-5 players? Interesting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Doesn't the Scholar of the First Sin upgrade to DS2 support up to 6? So not all that interesting.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

DS2's support is already at 4 players in a world so that should be expected. More is always welcome for fight clubs...assuming the connections hold up.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Doesn't the Scholar of the First Sin upgrade to DS2 support up to 6? So not all that interesting.

I find it more interesting due to the odd number. Like, how would 5 players work? Just straight 5-player teams, or maybe they'll do some kind of 4v1 thing? Is SotFS going to have 3v3 matches?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'd assume 1 host, 2 co-op players, 2 invaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

I'd assume 1 host, 2 co-op players, 2 invaders.

That's what I would hope. 2 extra people is OP enough, let alone 4.

• Locked thread