Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Neruz posted:

From memory one of the huge issues SC:Ghost ran into was that it just wasn't a very good game. Blizzard basically cancelled it because it just wasn't working and it's not surprising that it took awhile before they were willing to admit that.

Knowing when to step back and say 'okay this was actually a bad idea' is really hard.

It's too bad, because it would probably do okay now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The overall concept of an Sutarukuraftu FPS where you play as a Ghost\Dark Templar\Changeling\Special Operative\Something Awesome could definitely work, it just wasn't working the way the SC: Ghost team was doing it.

I have no idea if Blizzard will ever try something like that again; going outside of your comfort zone to build a game in a genre none of your guys are familiar with is much riskier than building a game in a genre you know and Activision are Activision so :shrug:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Neruz posted:

The overall concept of an Sutarukuraftu FPS where you play as a Ghost\Dark Templar\Changeling\Special Operative\Something Awesome could definitely work, it just wasn't working the way the SC: Ghost team was doing it.

I have no idea if Blizzard will ever try something like that again; going outside of your comfort zone to build a game in a genre none of your guys are familiar with is much riskier than building a game in a genre you know and Activision are Activision so :shrug:

Also remember SC:Ghost was being subbed out to some outside developers, so it really got canned when Blizzard realized they weren't getting what they'd originally asked for.

Blizzard's definitely not averse to doing a thing they've never done before, that's a pretty significant amount of their recent and upcoming work after all.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh yeah I know they're not averse to it, just that the odds of loving up increase when the devs are outside their comfort zone.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Feinne posted:

Also apparently the Battlecruiser is, was, and always has been Metzen which kinda shakes my world because it means he can secretly do at least one other voice.

Do you really want your mind blown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMkRWwYyWd0

This is Chris Metzen.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Metzen has been sneaking his voice into Blizzard games since the start.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean that the surprising part is that he can do voices that don't sound like Thrall.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SirSamVimes posted:

Do you really want your mind blown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMkRWwYyWd0

This is Chris Metzen.

So Metzen is the soulless construct set there by more powerful beings that decides whether the world that you've invested so much time in lives or dies?

Sounds about right.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kurieg posted:

So Metzen is the soulless construct set there by more powerful beings that decides whether the world that you've invested so much time in lives or dies?

Sounds about right.

Yep Metzen is basically the voice of god in the Warcraft universe :v:

tofuwizard
Feb 22, 2013
Mission: The Moebius Factor

Research: Science Vessel

Upgrades: Advanced Medic Facility

Replenishable Magazine

Cerberus Mine

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean that the surprising part is that he can do voices that don't sound like Thrall.

Yeah given that the three voices he's most known for are Thrall, Ragnaros, and Nefarian (who all sound very similar) it's pretty amazing to hear him doing something totally different.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Neruz posted:

Oh yeah I know they're not averse to it, just that the odds of loving up increase when the devs are outside their comfort zone.

Except Hearthstone and Overwatch are nothing like their previous games. Hearthstone is fantastic and is making them money hand over fist; Overwatch is quite promising.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh hey I forgot about Overwatch, well there you go.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Neruz posted:

Oh hey I forgot about Overwatch, well there you go.

It's probably not going to be called that but I'm sure first person team shooter by blizzard will be great.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
:siren:Voting Closed:siren:

Engine of Destruction - 14
Moebius Factor - 11

Science Vessel - 24
Raven - 1

Shaped Blast - 19
AMF - 4
Replenishable Mag - 4
Advanced Construction - 3
Cerberus Mines - 2
Phobos - 1

I expected Science Vessel to win handily, and boy howdy did it ever.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Raldan posted:

It's so much better than the Raven that there is really no contest.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008

Neruz posted:

It's so much better than the Raven that there is really no contest.

Yeah there's a reason why Science Vessels aren't build-able in multi-player , because with the right army a Terran player would be more or less unstoppable.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Science Vessels would basically hard counter Zerg.

Not any specific units, the entire faction.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Neruz posted:

Science Vessels would basically hard counter Zerg.

Not any specific units, the entire faction.

Irradiate on top of Defense Matrix'd MMM would be pretty terrifying.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Healing units that heal other healing units while they heal attacking units. It's insane.

Also science vessels would never have the ability to do that if they were a multiplayer unit. There's a reason why all of the busted units live in the campaign.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Brainbread posted:

Irradiate on top of Defense Matrix'd MMM would be pretty terrifying.

Try irradiated Siege Tanks and Vikings that are all being healed. Zerg has no answer to mech with Science Vessels, none of their units will work against mech supported by flying mechanical unit healing irradiate casting detectors.

Throwing Irradiate onto the Colossi in a deathball and then running away while the Zealots all die would also really piss off a Protoss player.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Since now we have Science Vessels, I take it you will play next mission with mass diamondbacks. In your last video, I heard you saying that you love them so, so much :v:

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT

Raldan posted:

Raven vote represent. :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

GKirby posted:

How does it feel being objectively wrong :v:

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT

Nalesh posted:

How does it feel being objectively wrong :v:

It wouldn't be the first time in this thread. As I said earlier, I'm voting on research options that I didn't pick up on my own play through. So, in a way, I could argue that I am objectively right!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

GKirby posted:

I played an extremely long multiplayer game yesterday against a Terran player who turtled and made many, many ravens. It took over an hour, was obnoxious and irritating, and if we get ravens I may or may not commentate the video where we show them off. :v:

Hunter seeker missile was much improved in Heart of the Swarm, though; it acts quite differently.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Not vouching for the channel or the casters overall (since the last time someone posted their stuff, "stop talking about bad casters" was iirc a recorded comment in one of the videos), but this is still one of the most insane and hilarious SC2 casts I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uICerPqth5Y

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

GunnerJ posted:

Not vouching for the channel or the casters overall (since the last time someone posted their stuff, "stop talking about bad casters" was iirc a recorded comment in one of the videos), but this is still one of the most insane and hilarious SC2 casts I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uICerPqth5Y

Wow, MaximusBlack and Ketroc in the same place. Someone kill me. :negative:

(I've played Ketroc on ladder; it's incredibly obnoxious and frustrating.)

ed: Those casts can be amusing, but MaximusBlack is a terrible person, for posterity.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Yeah, their shtick has gotten stale as hell. I remember finding a lot of their early stuff really funny, but I went back and watched a lot of their videos when this thread was talking about them before, and holy crap, they are awful now. Boring, gross, and 65% of the time they aren't even talking about the game. They remind me of that episode of Family Guy where Stewie and Brian get a radio show because they're witty and insightful, but over time, they're forced to become the lovely, schlocky shock jocks that they replaced. They gave their fans what they wanted until there was no actual substance left.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Synastren posted:

ed: Those casts can be amusing, but MaximusBlack is a terrible person, for posterity.

I don't know anything about him personally, so I'm kinda curious about this.

Also, yeah, I check in on When Cheese Fails now and then to see if there's anything funny, but even on the rare occasions that they post anything, there's a 50-50 shot that they're going to ignore the game and talk about their underwear or lazy unionized UPS drivers or some crap.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Synastren posted:

(I've played Ketroc on ladder; it's incredibly obnoxious and frustrating.)

I've watched his channel a few times, it's a fun time to watch at least and the man's grip on the mechanics of the game is freaking unshakeable. Is this sort of strategy frowned on in the SC2 community?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

SageNytell posted:

I've watched his channel a few times, it's a fun time to watch at least and the man's grip on the mechanics of the game is freaking unshakeable. Is this sort of strategy frowned on in the SC2 community?

I think it's just the certainty that a game that would otherwise be over quickly is going to drag the gently caress out.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

SageNytell posted:

His mechanics aren't very good. I can do the same thing with my otherwise Gold level Terran against Diamond Zergs on the European server reliably. His playstyle is incredibly cheesy and remarkably easy for how frustrating it is to play against, and how inefficient (with respect to time) it is.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Feinne posted:

I think it's just the certainty that a game that would otherwise be over quickly is going to drag the gently caress out.

Yeah that sort of strategy is very likely to make the game take loving forever regardless of outcome, so it tends to piss a lot of players off.

e: Also worth noting that Micro Jackson basically threw the game by constantly plowing face first into planetary fortresses when the correct response to that is to basically expand everywhere in complete safety and tech right past the midgame to the lategame.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 26, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I decided to do some Heart of the Swarm Training things to practice my macro. I was playing as Zerg to get experience for the campaign. How did it go? Let's just say:

What's below "Wood League"?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The first trick is learning what your hotkeys are and creating control groups for your hatcheries and queens.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The first thing to learn is that the Zerg campaign in HotS bears absolutely no resemblance to playing Zerg in multiplayer; ex Swarm Queens cannot inject larvae.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
it's more that swarm queens don't need to inject larvae, Hatcheries can go up to 7 larvae naturally and generate them as fast as a fully microed hatchery with queens.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

It teaches you that macro hatches are a cool but economically unfeasable way to make up for not being able to larva inject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Neruz posted:

The first thing to learn is that the Zerg campaign in HotS bears absolutely no resemblance to playing Zerg in multiplayer; ex :words:

Kurieg posted:

it's more that :words:, and generate them as fast as a :words:.

Tyty posted:

It teaches you that :words::words::words::words:.

I can't wait until the LP hits the point that I'm actually able to understand half of what you nerds post in here. :v:

• Locked thread