Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Ler posted:

Abbott gave Prince Phillip, The Duke of Edinburgh the order of Australia.
Sir Prince Phillip.

Twitter is losing it at the moment.

Does Prince Phillip have pierced genitals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

IslamoNazi posted:

Does Prince Phillip have pierced genitals?

I think that's a Prince Albert.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Chiwie posted:

:catdrugs:

Yep. That's totally normal behaviour and not being an extremist idiot at all. Nothing to see here chaps.

Yeah, hosed up that someone would smoke a cigarette. Worse than ISIS, imo.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

@vanOnselenP posted:

Lib MP: "he combines the judgement of Gillard with the madness of Rudd".

:fry:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And the stupidity of McMahon

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Im gonna stay home and get high maybe play some video game

Fruity Gordo posted:

I wanted Rosalie Kunoth Monks to win Australian of the Year to see her brutal rejection speech. :(

Everyone burn a flag tomorrow. You can get those little flag toothpicks everywhere. Every cigarette I smoked on Invasion Day last year was lit with a little burning flag, and I intend to continue that tradition tomorrow.

You will give yourself double cancer. Who knows whats in those flags.

Chiwie posted:

:catdrugs:

Yep. That's totally normal behaviour and not being an extremist idiot at all. Nothing to see here chaps.

Extremist!! :bahgawd:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

So glad we're knighting British royals

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
This particular invasion day is actually a happy one for me - my wife is getting citizenship.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Happy Australia day everyone *grants knighthood 2 english royal*

Also for some reason I was reading the comments for ray martins flag change-a-thon article on news.com and one reader importantly pointed out that "if we changed the flag it wouldn't be the same" and I feel like this simple yet extraordinarily perceptive statement exhaustively sums up the Australian anti-republican movement

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:dogout:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I guess the Queen is now Knight Rider

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This is obviously one of Tony's pet wet dreams and he couldn't care less if it burns up political capital.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

cpaf posted:

Happy Australia day everyone *grants knighthood 2 english royal*

Also for some reason I was reading the comments for ray martins flag change-a-thon article on news.com and one reader importantly pointed out that "if we changed the flag it wouldn't be the same" and I feel like this simple yet extraordinarily perceptive statement exhaustively sums up the Australian anti-republican movement

I'm not anti-republic, but I can't bring myself to be pro-republic because I have even less respect for our political class than I do the Queen.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

open24hours posted:

I'm not anti-republic, but I can't bring myself to be pro-republic because I have even less respect for our political class than I do the Queen.

Well if we assume the president would be a politically similar figure to the Queen, then we'd have the privilege of electing a disdainer-in-chief, to look aghast at the political class on our behalf.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

open24hours posted:

I abstain from the republic/monarchy debate precisely because while the monarchy is indescribably stupid, irrelevant and archaic, the idea of another layer of government and, by extension, more Australian politicians just galls me so much that I can't vote for it in good conscience.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Either/or. At the moment we're in a ridiculous limbo stage where the Queen is still our Queen and their flag is on our flag, but when we land at Heathrow we have to stand in line with all the other foreigners at passport control. Either become a republic, or go back to having open borders with the UK like we do with NZ. (I would be in favour of including Ireland and Canada too.)

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The list of reasons not to become a republic is a lot longer than the list of reasons to become one, and the latter only really outweighs the former if you care about a lot of things that don't really practically affect anyone. I consider myself a republican but my biggest concern would be the requisite amounts of nationalism that would be stirred up on both sides leading up to a genuine non-hamstrung referendum on the question. Another major problem is, as you said, our present political class is entirely woeful and the prospect of relying upon them to do it right and potentially increasing their power is terrifying. Our constitution would require alteration and I think our constitution is a fine, utilitarian document which was drafted by people much more clever and foresighted than those who inhabit parliament today.

That said, I find the idea of a hereditary ruling class at the top of a supposedly egalitarian liberal democracy entirely abhorrent and offensive, even when completely symbolic

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

cpaf posted:

Our constitution would require alteration and I think our constitution is a fine, utilitarian document which was drafted by people much more clever and foresighted than those who inhabit parliament today.

You really just have to remove the bits about the Queen and insert President, elected/appointed however it may be (and there are arguments for both; IIRC Ireland elects, while India appoints.)

I still remember those ads from '99 which claimed THE FAT CATS WANT TO MAKE OVER 500 CHANGES TO OUR CONSTITUTION!* (*Most of which involve changing the word "Governor-General" to "President".)

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Problem is, if you have an elected President and give him the powers granted to the GG / Queen by the Constitution you have an impractical government unless the President agrees to act on all advice by the PM

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

freebooter posted:

This is obviously one of Tony's pet wet dreams and he couldn't care less if it burns up political capital.

I think you're right. He has a boner for the british class system and this lets him rub up against it in the flesh. Basically he wishes he was one of the queens corgies. Tony abbott would be much happier in a diamond collar doing tricks for treats in buckingham palace than the current arrangement.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quantum Mechanic posted:

This particular invasion day is actually a happy one for me - my wife is getting citizenship.

Congratulations! That's awesome. And now she gets to vote too! (or could she vote before? I've heard something about permanent residents getting to vote in some cases, but never really understood it)

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

cpaf posted:

Problem is, if you have an elected President and give him the powers granted to the GG / Queen by the Constitution you have an impractical government unless the President agrees to act on all advice by the PM

The Governor-General should just be appointed by the Senate.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Bifauxnen posted:

Congratulations! That's awesome. And now she gets to vote too!

Yup, she enrolled to vote (for me!) at a table next to where she signed in.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Finally some decisive leadership from Tones today!

I watched this before getting out of bed today, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_EQGOsz7Oo yay

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Do anglophiles exist in this day and age? Like, are they still gonna be around once Tony and his ilk finally die or are we gonna be stuck with them forever? Doctor Who fans don't count.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Do anglophiles exist in this day and age? Like, are they still gonna be around once Tony and his ilk finally die or are we gonna be stuck with them forever? Doctor Who fans don't count.

Yeah, there's a few of them floating around still. A guy I went to school with has a massive hard on for the monarchy, we're 27.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
We should force all monarchists to play Crusader Kings 2.

I imagine that will change their minds pretty fast.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
lol at people commenting on the knighting with "He's not Australian! Where's the patriotism!"

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Abbott's response "social media is like electronic graffiti, you make a mistake to pay too much attention to it. Far better to listen to talkback ....... Oh poo poo".

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
My SOSE and History teacher in high school had a picture of the queen up in the class room. This was in 2004. He is now the school librarian, a Nationals Member and doesn't own a mobile phone.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://vine.co/v/OTOmv2nTamB

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Even Latika Bourke is all wtf about it.

quote:

@latikambourke I actually had to read PM Abbott’s statement on Knighting Prince Philip 3 times and make someone else read it before posting this morn.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ler posted:

Abbott gave Prince Phillip, The Duke of Edinburgh the order of Australia.
Sir Prince Phillip.

Twitter is losing it at the moment.

It's a fantastic bit of counter-trolling to stop people talking about Invasion Day and Taylor Swift's Hottest 100 chances.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Abbott keeps throwing out these sitting ducks, just ready to be smashed out of the park.

God imagine if someone like Keating was around as opposition leader, the burns would be legendary.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Did my part for Australia day; gave the CEO of one of the worlds biggest humanitarian/refugee resettlement organisations (I won't specify which, since that would in effect give away the exact location of where I live since the event was in my auditorium) an opportunity to publicly profess his views on on the treatment of refugees in Australia in front of a large group of extremely wealthy and influential people. He was diplomatic in his response (not surprising since I'm guessing he gets a fair amount of funding from the Australian government), but stressed the dangers of developed countries regressing in some of the factors which allowed them to be considered developed and civilised. It was quite clear what his views were, even if he wasn't willing to publicly condemn the Australian government for wiping out foreign aid and torturing refugees (I gave him the chance; I used the phrase 'torturing refugees' in my question).

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

katlington posted:

I think you're right. He has a boner for the british class system and this lets him rub up against it in the flesh.

Potted psychoanalysis time. It's a pattern. A hardon for establishing himself in existing class and power structures. Hence the hardon for the military, and the monomaniacal focus on becoming PM in the clear absence of anything he really wanted to do with it. It's the climbing of greasy poles that lots of people who've never sat down and had enough time to introspect sufficiently do to keep themselves occupied and their self esteem up

The only reason we have Knights at the moment is that Tony wants one at some point

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

"As I go around the state, people say to me 'Campbell, we know that the unions and criminal gangs have a close association'," Mr Newman said on Sunday.

"They've seen that and they know that and they also know that bikies are backing the Labor Party and they're saying to me, 'be strong'."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

sidviscous posted:

Potted psychoanalysis time. It's a pattern. A hardon for establishing himself in existing class and power structures. Hence the hardon for the military, and the monomaniacal focus on becoming PM in the clear absence of anything he really wanted to do with it. It's the climbing of greasy poles that lots of people who've never sat down and had enough time to introspect sufficiently do to keep themselves occupied and their self esteem up

The only reason we have Knights at the moment is that Tony wants one at some point

Tony was the face of the monarchist movement during the Republic debate / referendum in the late 90s. I think it's something he's got a genuine belief in.

• Locked thread