Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The things we just talked about will make a lot more sense to you once we get to see how the Zerg build units yes.

You won't understand injecting larvae unless we get a multiplayer video though. In fact the HotS campaign gives a very strange view of the Zerg, it's very fun to play but the Zerg you control in the campaign really don't look or even play much like the Zerg in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Oh what I would give for Corpsers in multiplayer.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kurieg posted:

Oh what I would give for Corpsers in multiplayer.

Or Hunters, or Malignant Creep, or Parasitic Domination, or Zergling Reconstitution, or Noxious Strain, or Carrion Strain :barf:

Like if you thought Terrans were overpowered in Wings of Liberty then just wait until HotS. HotS Campaign Zerg are motherfucking terrifying :stare:

I'm a Protoss player so just thinking about the HotS Campaign Zerg makes me whimper. At least the Terran players can fondly remember WoL, LotV hasn't happened yet so the best we get is Immortals out of Warp Gates and Oracles with Entomb :smith:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 26, 2015

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I can't wait for the inevitable immortal that can shoot up. Gonna make 200 supply of those for every map.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

George posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable immortal that can shoot up. Gonna make 200 supply of those for every map.

I play protoss and even I don't want that poo poo.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Star Man posted:

I play protoss and even I don't want that poo poo.

I want it but I think if I got it I would probably be too guilty\embarrassed to ever actually use it :ohno:

Breaking out the AA Immortals would be a sign that you have admitted the other guy is better than you.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Neruz posted:

I want it but I think if I got it I would probably be too guilty\embarrassed to ever actually use it :ohno:

Breaking out the AA Immortals would be a sign that you have admitted the other guy is better than you.

It would just mean that you have stalkers until you can replace them with immortals that can shoot up. Because unless you need them for blink shenanigans, you would never ever make stalkers again.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Star Man posted:

It would just mean that you have stalkers until you can replace them with immortals that can shoot up. Because unless you need them for blink shenanigans, you would never ever make stalkers again.

Except you would, because the new stalkers do splash damage and can spot up cliffs for your immortals' siege mode.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

George posted:

Except you would, because the new stalkers do splash damage and can spot up cliffs for your immortals' siege mode.

What.

WHAT?!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Stalkers upgrade to Mini-Colossi and can see and traverse up and down cliffs while shooting on the move yessssssss :black101:

God I want LotV to be released so we can find out what Singleplayer Protoss looks like :allears:

George
Nov 27, 2004

Colossi that retract their legs and just turn into flying units.

Motherships with planet crackers.

Warp Prisms that shoot scarabs?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Dark Archons? :unsmigghh:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

my dad posted:

With the normal Archon attack :unsmigghh::unsmigghh:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

my dad posted:

I miss dark archons.

George posted:

Colossi that retract their legs and just turn into flying units.

Nah, they just spin their legs around really fast, turning it into a helicopter :v:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Nalesh posted:

Nah, they just spin their legs around really fast, turning it into a helicopter :v:

Their lasers do crisscrossing lines of air-splash.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dark templars can ride probes into battle, and give them storm and feedback.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Poil posted:

Dark templars can ride probes into battle

Now I want art of Zeratul gallantly astride a Probe leading a huge stampede.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Really just give me back Reavers and :siren: Dragoons :siren: and I'll be happy.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Poil posted:

Dark templars can ride probes into battle, and give them storm and feedback.

Christ no, Dark Templars strap two probes to their feet like rollerskates.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Dark Templars are now unable to cloak or be killed.

Zealots can now move while burrowed.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Reavers that auto-create scarabs, can travel up and down cliffs, and has double range after an upgrade. :getin:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Eeepies posted:

Reavers that auto-create scarabs, can travel up and down cliffs, and has double range after an upgrade. :getin:

So just reavers.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

Now I want art of Zeratul gallantly astride a Probe leading a huge stampede.

I actually like the revisitation of aiur, but most important it gave me an idea.
In the opening sequence he compliments a probe for his "eternal vigilance herp derp it still works" but I would actually like it if that probe went full grey goo on that planet/animatrix where it takes existing tech and makes it REALLY big. I then imagined a giant assembly line vomiting out command center sized probes scorching the planet with their mineral harvesting lightning, gently floating overhead.

Not so original, but it was an awesome daydream.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
After Zeratul dies (because he's definitely going to die, if there is one plot point I think we can say is almost certain it's that) he'll show up again in the last map as the Tassadar/Zeratul GHOST ARCHON SPOOKY!

I mean seriously the last scene of the trailer is him giving a 'My life for Aiur!" he's gonna die.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 26, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Neruz posted:

Or Hunters, or Malignant Creep, or Parasitic Domination, or Zergling Reconstitution, or Noxious Strain, or Carrion Strain :barf:

Like if you thought Terrans were overpowered in Wings of Liberty then just wait until HotS. HotS Campaign Zerg are motherfucking terrifying :stare:

I'm a Protoss player so just thinking about the HotS Campaign Zerg makes me whimper. At least the Terran players can fondly remember WoL, LotV hasn't happened yet so the best we get is Immortals out of Warp Gates and Oracles with Entomb :smith:

Winged Zerglings/Banelings <3

I always had a squad or two of Lings on every mission in the campaign. Which just made me madder at the cutscenes, but I'll complain in detail about those when we get there.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Tyty posted:

It teaches you that macro hatches are a cool but economically unfeasable way to make up for not being able to larva inject.

Macro hatcheries are fine, based on the playstyle you intend to use. Mutalisk/speedling/baneling generally requires 3 bases + a macro hatch. Pure ling/bane can be played on 3 bases with 2 macro hatches.

On the other hand, HotS campaign suggests you have at least one macro hatch per base, so...

I'm going to ask we cut back a little bit on the HotS talk. We'll get there, worry not, but we don't want to ruin the surprise for those who haven't suffered through the story played it!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Agreed, let's leave that trainwreck for when it leaves the station :v:

hots spoiler:
Though I still request that the first mission is to be done with only drones

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nalesh posted:

hots spoiler:
Though I still request that the first mission is to be done with only drones

Aren't you required to build at least six lings to meet an objective and continue the mission?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Next mission is my favorite in WoL so I'm looking forward to it, though the units y'all have available can pretty well break it in half as opposed to if it had come up earlier.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neruz posted:

Aren't you required to build at least six lings to meet an objective and continue the mission?

Yes but if you actually progress with the mission using drones to attack instead of zerglings there's special dialogue.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kurieg posted:

Yes but if you actually progress with the mission using drones to attack instead of zerglings there's special dialogue.

Well now I have a thing I need to try.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cythereal posted:

Next mission is my favorite in WoL so I'm looking forward to it, though the units y'all have available can pretty well break it in half as opposed to if it had come up earlier.

Is there a way or mod or something which lets you play with all units unlocked from the start? I know it'd be comically unbalanced but I'd love to see dumb poo poo like bringing in the top-tier mercs on mission 1 or whatever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Can't you just use cheats?

Are there not cheats in Starcraft? NOT MY STARCRAFT.

e: I am writing a sternly worded letter to Blizzard right now but not really but I am disappointed because destroying single player with cheats on was one of my favorite joys as a kid.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 27, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Starcraft 2 is technically always online so no, not really.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TwoPair posted:

Can't you just use cheats?

Are there not cheats in Starcraft? NOT MY STARCRAFT.

There certainly are cheats, but none that unlock units early.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Psion posted:

Is there a way or mod or something which lets you play with all units unlocked from the start? I know it'd be comically unbalanced but I'd love to see dumb poo poo like bringing in the top-tier mercs on mission 1 or whatever.

well, If you don't mind doing it map by map I'm pretty sure loading them into the editor and doing it yourself would be quick and easy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kurieg posted:

Starcraft 2 is technically always online so no, not really.

You can play the campaign and games against the AI offline. You won't be able to get any achievements, though.

I know this because I had to spend about two months without an Internet connection about six weeks after Wings of Liberty dropped. Turns out that getting Internet service set up in a small college town will get you put on a month-long waitlist.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So Heart of the Swarm is only $20. Is it worth the $20 to just play the campaign, or do you think its not worth it? I remember the missions being pretty fun in WoL even if the story was terrible, and its apparent already that the HOTS story is also amazingly bad. But are the mission designs fun enough to be worth 5 Mochas?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Slaan posted:

So Heart of the Swarm is only $20. Is it worth the $20 to just play the campaign, or do you think its not worth it? I remember the missions being pretty fun in WoL even if the story was terrible, and its apparent already that the HOTS story is also amazingly bad. But are the mission designs fun enough to be worth 5 Mochas?
As someone who doesn't drink coffee, maybe. The story is NOT "also amazingly bad", it is amazingly worse. But a lot of the missions are pretty fun, if too time limited. But unless you're a turtle player it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My dead zeez heart still goes :psyduck: over people not wanting to try multiplayer--even team games where you can do all the goofy poo poo you want and no one cares.

• Locked thread