Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I mean the Blades source is still on the site, so it's not like he's holding back the engine itself, if that's what youre really interested in. It's the Exile engine at it's finished state, as someone who spent a lot of time in Blades editor back in the day, it's more or less Exile 3 from what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel the same way about the original Avernum trilogy vs. 4-6 and the remakes. They're not bad but I preferred the old style. Never played Exile, I was more of a Realmz guy in the 90s.

I feel that Exile is different enough from Avernum (either generation) to warrant its own remake... well, Avernum are remakes, so let's say "modernisation". 6 party members vs. 4 is a big difference, also the more varied and wacky spell selection from Exile is another. Two major differences right there; good start I'd say.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a lot to be said for games that let you just play the drat thing instead of demanding that you sit there and watch things happen. Not that modern RPGs are nothing but cinematics, but they do move a lot more slowly than the Avernum series does.
Yeah. "Okay, time to get out of this dungeon. *click* *bpbpbpbpbpbpbpbpbpbpbpbpbpbpb* *leaving noise*"

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Happy Hedonist posted:

Funny story. I'm about 15 hours into Dragon Age Inquisition after buying it last week, yet all I want to do is play Avernum. WTF is wrong with me?

DA:I combat is terrible?

Just a guess.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are any of the summoning spells worth using? I remember them being kinda lovely in Avernum.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Every Mage Summon prior to Capture Soul/Simulacrum sucks poo poo. Every Priest Summon is great.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
One thing I'll always miss from Exile is making a dedicated Nephilim archer. Being able to attack twice a turn was really useful.

I kinda miss the ammo system, too. Not having to procure ammo is arguably more streamlined now but it also loses the joy of finding a cache of iron arrows and knowing you're ready to wreck some poo poo.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

You could always go for thrown weapons, there are javelins and razordisks all over the place.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I have always wondered why he didn't hire out the process of porting the old games to the new engine. I'd bet it's doable for someone else given the source materials and a finished example. Maybe he looked into it and the math doesn't work out (or just doesn't have the capital for any up-front payment) but seems like faster releases of the remakes plus more time for Vogel to write new games could add up to a profit even after the grunt's cut.

Cost, more than anything else. Vogel talked about the raw numbers for Geneforge 4 a few months after it came out. It cost about $120k to make* and all of the initial rush of sales from his loyal fans basically got him back to break-even. It's certainly turned a profit since then as more casual Spidweb fans have bought it or got it in a Humble Bundle or "Geneforge series GoG sale" or etc, but he's definitely not running some crazy huge profit numbers. It's also not as big of a time commitment for him as you'd think; I don't remember where I saw it, but IIRC he's said it's usually something like 2-3 months of effort to remake an existing game compared with a full year to write a story, design a world, etc for a brand new game.

*If this seems high, remember that this counts salaries too - People's time is the most expensive thing for any business, even if you're the owner.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
What spell am I supposed to get for returning the first soul crystal? I've gone in the editor and set all lore to max just to see what it is and it still wont let me learn anything.

Also for returning the second soul crystal, do you get Haste?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

What spell am I supposed to get for returning the first soul crystal? I've gone in the editor and set all lore to max just to see what it is and it still wont let me learn anything.

Haste 3 is in Almaria.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

To learn spells talk to Wilvron-Bok in the southwest part of the shrine, not to the crystal you returned.

You can return them in any order so "first" is sort of not the most useful description, but it'll be either Blink, Cloak of Blades or Ward of Steel. Also it's a little bugged so you'll need actual Arcane Lore to learn it; Sage Lore doesn't count.

If you want level 3 Haste (you do), go look around in Almaria.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I got level-3 haste way after getting all of my characters to 15 combat skills. It's kind of hard to get excited about a 50% chance at Battle Frenzy when every fight leads off with my party getting three turns in a row. In related news, Adrenaline Rush is still bonkers powerful.

Also, I see this game is continuing the fine tradition Avernum 1 set of having level-3 barriers all over the lategame dungeons with no loving clue where the level-3 Dispel Barrier spell is. I've already Lost Forever some loot because a dungeon imploded and there was a barrier in it I couldn't dispel (in the Ziggurat).

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I got level-3 haste way after getting all of my characters to 15 combat skills. It's kind of hard to get excited about a 50% chance at Battle Frenzy when every fight leads off with my party getting three turns in a row. In related news, Adrenaline Rush is still bonkers powerful.

Wouldn't getting all of your characters 15 combat skills kinda gimp your mages? That's a huge points investment.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

Cost, more than anything else. Vogel talked about the raw numbers for Geneforge 4 a few months after it came out. It cost about $120k to make* and all of the initial rush of sales from his loyal fans basically got him back to break-even. It's certainly turned a profit since then as more casual Spidweb fans have bought it or got it in a Humble Bundle or "Geneforge series GoG sale" or etc, but he's definitely not running some crazy huge profit numbers. It's also not as big of a time commitment for him as you'd think; I don't remember where I saw it, but IIRC he's said it's usually something like 2-3 months of effort to remake an existing game compared with a full year to write a story, design a world, etc for a brand new game.

*If this seems high, remember that this counts salaries too - People's time is the most expensive thing for any business, even if you're the owner.

If it only takes him two or three months to remake a game, why are the Avernum 1-3 remakes spaced out so much? Escape from the Pit came out in late 2011/very early 2012 on the heels of Avadon 1, and Crystal Souls just came out in the opening month of 2015. He did do Avadon 2 in that time, but if a remake is that simple then surely we wouldn't have had to wait 3 years for Avernum 2: The Remake of the Remake. Was the change to the new engine a really daunting task, or did he do other projects in the meantime that I've forgotten? I'm not trolling; I genuinely want to know. Now that 1 and 2 are out, I'm really eager to finish off the trilogy and I would love to see the remake of the remake of 3 by summer if this is accurate. Exile/Avernum 3 is the one game in that original series that I know nothing about.

Also, I just realised that by buying Crystal Souls straight from SWS, I get a Steam key! I had totally forgotten about that; thanks Jeff!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

If it only takes him two or three months to remake a game, why are the Avernum 1-3 remakes spaced out so much?...or did he do other projects in the meantime that I've forgotten?

You forgot about Avadon, which also got a sequel fairly recently. Also, he wants to space things out a bit so he doesn't saturate the market. If you play Avernum 1, and then six weeks after you finish it Avernum 2 comes out, you'll be more likely to think "Nah, I've played enough RPGs for awhile, I'll wait for a sale."

Bold Robot posted:

Wouldn't getting all of your characters 15 combat skills kinda gimp your mages? That's a huge points investment.

Not really. Mages don't have a whole lot to spend points on. Mage/Priest skills, Spellcraft, a little arcane lore (but see also the Sage Lore trait), maybe some Resistance and/or Magical Efficiency.

Also, you don't have to do 15 "hard" skillpoints (though I did). You can get part of the way there with bonuses from items. In fact, there's a sword that gives +2 Melee Weapons and +3 Pole Weapons, specifically to give casters a stat stick that helps them get combat disciplines. It took me a bit to figure out how the hell putting +Pole Weapons on a sword, which can't be dual-wielded with a polearm, could possibly be useful.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, I just realised that by buying Crystal Souls straight from SWS, I get a Steam key! I had totally forgotten about that; thanks Jeff!

Gah, I wasn't aware of this. Oh well. I'll buy direct next time.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Just hit chapter 3, trying to see the council. Is there anyway to get back to regular rear end human avernum? Feeling kind of underlevelled.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

BKPR posted:

Just hit chapter 3, trying to see the council. Is there anyway to get back to regular rear end human avernum? Feeling kind of underlevelled.

You get back there eventually, but not yet. You shouldn't need levels to make progress at this point though; chapter 3 is mostly plot.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

You forgot about Avadon, which also got a sequel fairly recently. Also, he wants to space things out a bit so he doesn't saturate the market. If you play Avernum 1, and then six weeks after you finish it Avernum 2 comes out, you'll be more likely to think "Nah, I've played enough RPGs for awhile, I'll wait for a sale."

Well, I actually did mention Avadon 1 coming out before Escape from the Pit and Avadon 2 being between Escape from the Pit and Crystal Souls, but I see your point about wanting to space things. Plus, I'm sure that it's long hours for months leading up to a major release followed by patches and the like, so I'm sure that he gives his staff and himself some holiday time as well. I'm just OCD and, now that the first two games are out, I really want to put a bow on the trilogy. I normally don't care much about visuals, especially in story- and tactics-heavy games, but I really love the look of Escape from the Pit and Crystal Souls. I know that they are both in the Resurrection engine, but I didn't find Resurrection nearly as visually pleasing as those other two. I think that it's the colours and overall aesthetic, rather than the engine itself.

I've read snippets here and there that Avadon is a trilogy itself, even though it's a new IP and not a remake. Perhaps Avadon 3 is his next project, with the idea of then doing Ruined World and beginning to remake the Geneforge Quintet after that.

Airfoil posted:

Gah, I wasn't aware of this. Oh well. I'll buy direct next time.

I wasn't either, but I happened to glance at the Spiderweb page for Crystal Souls and saw that it came with a Steam key, just like if you buy it from the Humble Store, so I redeemed it. Steam gets up my nose, so I only buy from Valve if there's no GOG version or unaffiliated DRM-free version of whatever I'm keen on. Now I wish that I had saved the Steam key and given it to some friendly goon, but perhaps the intention was for the purchaser to redeem it and not exploit the situation to give a potential customer a free game. Then again, I could copy the DRM-free copy I got and pass it out to an unlimited number of other people, so what the gently caress do I know?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

I wasn't either, but I happened to glance at the Spiderweb page for Crystal Souls and saw that it came with a Steam key, just like if you buy it from the Humble Store, so I redeemed it. Steam gets up my nose, so I only buy from Valve if there's no GOG version or unaffiliated DRM-free version of whatever I'm keen on. Now I wish that I had saved the Steam key and given it to some friendly goon, but perhaps the intention was for the purchaser to redeem it and not exploit the situation to give a potential customer a free game. Then again, I could copy the DRM-free copy I got and pass it out to an unlimited number of other people, so what the gently caress do I know?

He's almost certainly doing things that way to allow people who use Steam as their primary games library to incorporate the game into said library, not so that you have a spare copy to give to a friend.

Re: Avadon, sorry, didn't read your post that carefully :doh:

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Also, I see this game is continuing the fine tradition Avernum 1 set of having level-3 barriers all over the lategame dungeons with no loving clue where the level-3 Dispel Barrier spell is. I've already Lost Forever some loot because a dungeon imploded and there was a barrier in it I couldn't dispel (in the Ziggurat).

It's in the same place as the original, I believe, the quest to get it is still a pain. As far as the Ziggurat, you can actually go right back in and everything is still there including the enemies, just can no longer get back to the balcony. I dont recall any main dungeon being inaccessible after some story event, with the exception of maybe the chapter 2 river dungeons.

You can get part of the way there with bonuses from items. In fact, there's a sword that gives +2 Melee Weapons and +3 Pole Weapons, specifically to give casters a stat stick that helps them get combat disciplines. It took me a bit to figure out how the hell putting +Pole Weapons on a sword, which can't be dual-wielded with a polearm, could possibly be useful.

That sword also has 30% fatigue reduction, which is the highest I saw in my playthrough. Needless to say, I never found a replacement for it and didnt bother even getting base 15 weapon skill points on a primarily melee character. No stats or damage can compare with getting Adrenaline every other turn/every third turn.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

It's in the same place as the original, I believe, the quest to get it is still a pain. As far as the Ziggurat, you can actually go right back in and everything is still there including the enemies, just can no longer get back to the balcony. I dont recall any main dungeon being inaccessible after some story event, with the exception of maybe the chapter 2 river dungeons.

Ah, good to know. I did eventually find the L3 Dispel Barrier, but I can't be arsed to go back and find what I need. It's not like my party needs even more power, and frankly I've run out of trainers to shovel money at, too.

Unrelated, but the weapon Demonslayer is a huge disappointment compared to the Flaming/Frozen Blades. In fact, I'm not even certain it functions properly.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah that sword was never that great even in the original Avernums. The other swords are better, except of course, against Demons. I always dualed it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Not really. Mages don't have a whole lot to spend points on. Mage/Priest skills, Spellcraft, a little arcane lore (but see also the Sage Lore trait), maybe some Resistance and/or Magical Efficiency.

Also, you don't have to do 15 "hard" skillpoints (though I did). You can get part of the way there with bonuses from items. In fact, there's a sword that gives +2 Melee Weapons and +3 Pole Weapons, specifically to give casters a stat stick that helps them get combat disciplines. It took me a bit to figure out how the hell putting +Pole Weapons on a sword, which can't be dual-wielded with a polearm, could possibly be useful.

You can also buy up points of weapon skills from various trainers throughout Avernum to get some of the points you need: the game practically throws money at you, especially if you take Negotiator on everyone, so it shouldn't be too hard to afford this for your casters by the midgame with a combination of moderate skill point investment and a few thousand gold.

Plus, raising either melee or pole isn't too much of a waste even on a full caster, because it lets you invest in Hardiness, which helps a lot with survivability.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

JustJeff88 posted:

I've read snippets here and there that Avadon is a trilogy itself, even though it's a new IP and not a remake. Perhaps Avadon 3 is his next project, with the idea of then doing Ruined World and beginning to remake the Geneforge Quintet after that.

From the final email to the beta testers for Crystal Souls:
"Thanks again! Off to the iPad version and Avadon 3 ..."

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

BKPR posted:

*You won't be there for too long. Much of the stuff outside the main hub of the Vahnatai cave is intended for higher-level groups, as in "by the time you're ready for this you should have Crown Clearance." The first 3 Chapters of A2 are just setting up the story. Chapter 4 is the longest, and the real meat of the game.

*Spoilers ahead: You can skip the trials to see the Olgai Council and visit them directly by doing the following in Chapter 2: Paying your respects to Dahris-Bok, Awakening the Vahnatai in the Coffin Caves, and Discovering the Human Book in the River Fortress.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chinook posted:

From the final email to the beta testers for Crystal Souls:
"Thanks again! Off to the iPad version and Avadon 3 ..."

Groovy pants. Thanks mate.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Right, I've finished the game (on Normal). Did every sidequest I could find, except for one that required me to find a Steel Waveblade when I'd already sold all of them (probably there's a vendor out there who sells one, but I can't be arsed). My megalegendary party can now retire.

I hit level 35-ish by the end, for reference, and for the last 10+ levels I felt like I was massively overpowered. Divine Retribution + Adrenaline Rush is the most brokenly overpowered combination in a game full of broken overpowered combinations. Why yes, I would like to kill 20 units in a single round.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Need some spoiler-y help, may have found a bug but I'm not sure?

A slith in Gnass has given me the quest to recover the Amber Charm

I have cleared the whole area and taken a boat to the shrine

But I'm not 'finding' the Amber Charm that is supposed to be there. I definitely have the quest, I know what I'm looking for, but I'm not 'finding' it.

Am I doing something blitheringly wrong, or have I bugged something out?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cuntpunch posted:

Need some spoiler-y help, may have found a bug but I'm not sure?

A slith in Gnass has given me the quest to recover the Amber Charm

I have cleared the whole area and taken a boat to the shrine

But I'm not 'finding' the Amber Charm that is supposed to be there. I definitely have the quest, I know what I'm looking for, but I'm not 'finding' it.

Am I doing something blitheringly wrong, or have I bugged something out?
Did you make sure to have him teach you the quest flag to actually find it?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Zereth posted:

Did you make sure to have him teach you the quest flag to actually find it?

Welp that was it. You can get the whole quest and such and end a conversation chain and dodge that flag. Thanks!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So I'm doing the quest in A2:Crystal Souls to find the three giant statues. I found the one in the giant cave, the one in the village north of that, and I THOUGHT I found one in the fort but I'm only showing 2 statues in quest items. Did I miss one somewhere or am I bugged?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

So I'm doing the quest in A2:Crystal Souls to find the three giant statues. I found the one in the giant cave, the one in the village north of that, and I THOUGHT I found one in the fort but I'm only showing 2 statues in quest items. Did I miss one somewhere or am I bugged?

The one in the giant fort is in the southwest where the demon was, so double-check that. And if it's not there, then double-check the other two locations as well; maybe you only got it in an alternate universe that you load-save'd out of.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The one in the giant fort is in the southwest where the demon was, so double-check that. And if it's not there, then double-check the other two locations as well; maybe you only got it in an alternate universe that you load-save'd out of.

I already sanctified both of those altars :(

Edit: Oh! It was in a chest, not on an altar. weird.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 27, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How the hell do I get into the Brigand's Madhouse?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bold Robot posted:

How the hell do I get into the Brigand's Madhouse?

Enter through the east side, look for secret switches, and keep an eye on the map; stepping on certain tiles will silently close walls, forcing you to leave and re-enter.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Enter through the east side, look for secret switches, and keep an eye on the map; stepping on certain tiles will silently close walls, forcing you to leave and re-enter.

This may or may not answer your question, it's a good hint though.

Full Answer, peeled back layer-by-layer:

Enter on the east side.

Look for hidden walls

Consider what these walls enable you to do

The path you created helps you skip the teleporters that were otherwise blocking you

But the middle section is 2-tiles wide

Meaning if you step on the southern tiles of the middle section, you'll teleport somewhere different compared to the northern tiles you have been stepping on

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cuntpunch posted:

This may or may not answer your question, it's a good hint though.

Full Answer, peeled back layer-by-layer:

Enter on the east side.

Look for hidden walls

Consider what these walls enable you to do

The path you created helps you skip the teleporters that were otherwise blocking you

But the middle section is 2-tiles wide

Meaning if you step on the southern tiles of the middle section, you'll teleport somewhere different compared to the northern tiles you have been stepping on

I'm getting stuck later than that. I made it past that part and fought past the archers, but I can't figure out where to go next. There are a few passages and portals that eventually lead back outside, and a couple of secret switches that don't seem to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Okay, I figured out how to get into most of the Brigand's Madhouse and killed the eyebeast, but does anyone know how to get into this part in the center here?

http://puu.sh/faBqJ/e7991d8198.png (linked cause I can't figure out how to properly spoil a timg)

There's no entry to the room at the north except from the unexplored center area. The path to the northwest leads to a platform that can't be accessed, it's across a chasm from the main path. I don't see any switches nearby.