Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:goonsay: Part of her boob is showing, it's my constitutional right as an American citizen to touch them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Len posted:

I want to believe they can understand the basic principle of "don't be creepy" :smith:

You poor, deluded soul.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"The Open-Source Boob Project" should have been nerdom's 9/11.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

moths posted:

"The Open-Source Boob Project" should have been nerdom's 9/11.

Oh god I forgot that was a thing. :negative:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Len posted:

Oh god I forgot that was a thing. :negative:

Dare I ask?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Error 404 posted:

Dare I ask?

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Open_Source_Boob_Project

Nerds decided there should be a system for letting you touch boobs at conventions.

http://theferrett.livejournal.com/1087686.html

Len fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 26, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Len posted:

Nerds decided there should be a system for letting you touch boobs at conventions.

Ewwwwwww whyyyyyyyy?! :cry:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

Let me just remind everyone that this is an event that had to be held at Gencon. I'm still unsure how this needed to be a mediated discussion.

I do get a chuckle out of the fact the Cosplay Deviants sponsored the panel. So the creepy nerds that just listened to a seminar about respecting the boundaries of cosplayers can go and buy nudes of them in the vendor hall.
The "why" has already been covered, but the Cosplay Deviants are extremely sensitive to these issues for perhaps very obvious reasons. Also they are awesome people and anyone into Nerd Playboy should investigate. I am not a paid representative of Cosplay Deviants(tm)

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, it's been around for a few years now, but some (terrible) people see it as infringing on their rights or "then why are they dressed like that?" or NOT ALL MEN.
And the reason I personally find the fact that the whole movement is needed so upsetting is because the only gamer I have ever hung out with who is both right-wing and legendarily lecherous and who is pretty unsympathetic in general to women's issues was genuinely upset to find out that some people think touching cosplayers is O.K. He might stare at them all day long in the meantime, but he once threatened to punch a dude who was trying to put his camera up someone's skirt. So what I am saying is that the people for whom "Cosplay is not consent" is targeted are amazingly worrying.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Len posted:

Let me just remind everyone that this is an event that had to be held at Gencon.

I'm still unsure how this needed to be a mediated discussion.

I do get a chuckle out of the fact the Cosplay Deviants sponsored the panel. So the creepy nerds that just listened to a seminar about respecting the boundaries of cosplayers can go and buy nudes of them in the vendor hall.

Honestly I think they're the best people to do this. I'm sure they're deeply familiar with the sort of harassment the panel is meant to deal with, and any nude model will tell you that their work is not universal consent. The photos they sell are disseminated by their choice, and just because nude pictures of them are out there doesn't mean it's suddenly open season on their bodies. It's like if someone took a creepy picture of a nude model in the bathroom, it suddenly doesn't become okay because "everyone's seen it already"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just committed the original OSBP post to G.TXT and I need to go boil my typing fingers now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Len posted:

I find myself doubting the veracity of this man's story.

quote:

By the end of the evening, women were coming up to us. "My breasts," they asked shyly, having heard about the project. "Are they... are they good enough to be touched?" And lo, we showed them how beautiful their bodies were without turning it into something tawdry.

I mean, I don't know why, but it's just as though there's something faintly unbelievable about hordes of women charging up to a bunch of unshaven nerds and begging to have their breasts groped.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ha ha ha, I completely forgot about this, and the fact that that douchebag's nickname was "the ferret".

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, I don't know why, but it's just as though there's something faintly unbelievable about hordes of women charging up to a bunch of unshaven nerds and begging to have their breasts groped.
Oh god. I am glad I stopped reading by then. Though that also means I am unglad that you did not :(

I actually had no problem believing that the first part of his story happened, as I have heard that quote almost verbatim more than once. But to say that the women who say things like that are outliers is an understatement--and needless to say, this is still contextual, and like "I am comfortable enough with you that this would not faze me" not "OH! MY SEXUAL LIBERATION HAS FINALLY OCCURRED!" which is the straight-up sinister tone I get from that dude's quotes. Vjhsvhkjvaljkar

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PurpleXVI posted:

I find myself doubting the veracity of this man's story.

As torn from the pages of fanfiction.net.

DalaranJ posted:

Ha ha ha, I completely forgot about this, and the fact that that douchebag's nickname was "the ferret".

The Pauly Shore of Gaming.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

General Ironicus posted:

To be fair, they don't have a woman working in a gaming company. I'm sure they have at least one woman, since the tweet came from one.

I got it wrong, then; mea culpa

Lightning Lord posted:

Honestly I think they're the best people to do this. I'm sure they're deeply familiar with the sort of harassment the panel is meant to deal with, and any nude model will tell you that their work is not universal consent. The photos they sell are disseminated by their choice, and just because nude pictures of them are out there doesn't mean it's suddenly open season on their bodies. It's like if someone took a creepy picture of a nude model in the bathroom, it suddenly doesn't become okay because "everyone's seen it already"

Yeah pretty much. For a lot of people - not just nerds! - the idea of "other people don't belong to you" is something they need to be taught.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

gradenko_2000 posted:

A campaign set in the Fantasy Weimar Republic where you try to stop putschs and kick Freikorps rear end and get enough trade going to improve the economy and improve the general peace and order of things enough so that President Hindendwarf doesn't have to resort to appointing Adelf Hitler sounds like a good idea and an inversion of the "everything sucks and is grimdark" trope.

We had a 5E D&D one shot that was pretty much fantasy Weimar Republic. There are notes about the setting in the comments: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2014/11/genre/fantasy/5e-dungeons-and-dragons-the-dissidents-of-darland/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

quote:

By the end of the evening, women were coming up to us. "My breasts," they asked shyly, having heard about the project. "Are they... are they good enough to be touched?" And lo, we showed them how beautiful their bodies were without turning it into something tawdry.

A dated reference, but this is literally:

"Dear Penthouse Forums, I never thought it would happen to me..."

Meaning it is likely complete fabrication.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Helical Nightmares posted:

A dated reference, but this is literally:

"Dear Penthouse Forums, I never thought it would happen to me..."

Meaning it is likely complete fabrication.
Hahaha. Yeah, you have to be a certain kind of person for those kinds of stories to be true, and someone so oblivious as to have put this whole thing together in the first place is likely not such a person. Though I suppose we should not discount the idea that these "women" were all the same woman wearing different cosplay outfits.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
It's still okay to discuss non-cringe inducing RPG related stuff in this thread, right? :ohdear:

Seeing the news of the kickstarter for a reprint of the GrimTooth's Traps books got me nostalgic enough to dig mine out of the box they were in. Re-reading them promptly made me remember why they were in storage - way, way too over the top and 4th wall breaking for my usual tastes. Since I only rarely run funhouse dungeons anyway, no big loss. I do think I'll use a few of them in a Superhero game sometime though, since deathtraps are a genre staple and I've always wanted to use Arcade as a villain in a Marvel game.

Also it turns out a new co-worker is also a horror movie buff and I was explaining why I didn't like the Saw movies; the sadism, but also that I can't take the logistics or the "poetic justice" of the traps seriously. Mentally I made a connection to the sort of bizarre, out of context, hard to believe traps you'd see in some older modules. I think I'm going to run with this and have "the dungeon was built by a masked gnome serial killer" as the in-universe excuse the next time I want to throw an overly baroque deathtrap at them.

That aside, has anybody read Lethal Legacies from Goodman Games? They've got it on sale right now and it looks like it has a more toned down approach than Grimtooth's - I like Indiana Jones style traps and got some good ideas from the 3E Book of Challenges and was hoping for something similar.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
There's actually one super sexually liberal woman who goes around making all these stories that literally have always been spread around as if they're real things people do, like Johnny Appleseed, Jenny Wankyseed I guess.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Len posted:

:negative:

Let's, uh, rewind back to Blue Rose chat for a second. The reason people say they hate the "magic deer" is apparently because it's an objectively Good power that guides the setting (I suspect the actual reason is "it's girly and girls are gross"). But there are some pretty nuanced ways to treat an objective good that don't devolve into something like DnD alignment i.e The One Ring has a neat mechanic for moral degradation if otherwise-decent characters succumb to greed or blood-lust.

Basically I'm asking about systems where there's a solid mechanism for "compromising on your ideals", because that seems like the best way to approach characters that are heroic as a rule.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 26, 2015

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Bendigeidfran posted:

Let's, uh, rewind back to Blue Rose chat for a second. The reason people say they hate the "magic deer" is apparently because it's an objectively Good power that guides the setting (I suspect the actual reason is "it's girly and girls are gross"). But there are some pretty nuanced ways to treat an objective good that don't devolve into something like DnD alignment i.e The One Ring has a neat mechanic for moral degradation if otherwise-decent characters succumb to greed or blood-lust.

Basically I'm asking about systems where there's a solid mechanism for "compromising on your ideals", because that seems like the best way to approach characters that are heroic as a rule.

I think the Madness Meters from Unknown Armies would adapt very nicely, just replace 'these four axes of stress/terror/messedupedness' with your core virtues, and every time you transgress on those virtues, you take a hardened/failed notch for that virtue -- I could see something like a 'failed' notch for a virtue being stepping away from it, so failing to uphold 'defend the weak' means you're just a little more callous about it, and 'hardened' representing a lip-service to that virtue or an internal twisting of it, so you think you're still big on defending the weak, you just redefine it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Bendigeidfran posted:

I did something like that in Ęternal Legends: you write down your character's beliefs, and you get a pool of Conviction that you can use to do improbable stunts as long as you're acting in accordance with your beliefs. Contradict those beliefs, you get a point of Degeneration, which you can spend on similar stunts around the belief you've contravened. If you contravene all your beliefs, you fall to the Dark.

Your total magic pool is equal to Conviction + Degeneration. So going against what you believe in brings you closer to falling, but gives you a rush of power that you might need to turbo-charge your shotgun of dragonlslaying.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Back to creep talk for a second, individual women who are ok with dudes of their own choosing fondling them at an anime con afterparty if it's the sort of environment where that can happen or whatever is way different than some dude handing out "please harass me" badges at a convention en masse and that really should be all the explanation anyone needs for why this so called "open source project" was just the worst idea.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Bendigeidfran posted:

The Smallville RPG kind of does what you're looking for. It has two main stats, your values (Justice, Love, stuff like that) and your relationships. They're all rated on a scale to d4 to d12 and have a statement about how your character feels about it, so you end up with "Love is a waste of time d4" and "Damien is far too irresponsible d8". Now, if you're rolling for something and what you're doing doesn't line up with one of your statements, you have two choices. Either you just don't use that stat, or you challenge your statement. For example, say you have "Power must be used responsibly d10" and you're trying to mind control someone into being good. That clearly isn't a responsible use of your powers but you really want that d10, so you challenge your statement on Power. This lets you add three d10s to your dice pool for this roll instead of just one, but it also lowers your Power to d8 for the rest of the session because you just challenged a big part of your world-view and you need to think about that. Once the game session is over, you have a choice to make. Either you raise the stat you challenged back up to it's original value but rewrite your statement about it (so now your have "I must make sure others use their Power responsibly d10") or you keep it at it's lowered state and raise a different stat up because if you really cared that much about using power responsibly you wouldn't have mind-controlled that guy in the first place.

It's not exactly what you want, since it's made to model soap opera character development and not a hero's slow side to villainy, but it can do that.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There's actually one super sexually liberal woman who goes around making all these stories that literally have always been spread around as if they're real things people do, like Johnny Appleseed, Jenny Wankyseed I guess.

Is she the same woman who gave John Wick that lap dance and made him promise to be true to his now ex-wife or however that story goes?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
God dammit grogs.txt can be an entertaining and interesting thread. Why do people keep loving it up?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lack of a grog tax turns it into 5% grog, 15% people agreeing that the grog is lovely, 80% chat thread for terrible people.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

You'd think that terrible people would notice that the thread exists for exposing their terribleness and mocking them and would consequently stay away.

I guess this ia part of the reason why they're terrible.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I didn't lock that thread but it seems like a great idea, so g.txt is closed for now.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So who's dropped $1000 on Pathfinder Online so far?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Cassa posted:

That's chump change! I'm all in on $5,000 for a tavern!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Cassa posted:

Those $5,000 taverns must be in high demand to make a comeback from the KS.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 27, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Cassa posted:

Wait, this is a joke, right?

Somebody tell me this is a joke.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

There are people in the year 2015 that drop more than that at a time on MUDs so I can believe they'll do it for PFO.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I don't even begrudge anyone with the means to drop that kind of cash. But it's not enough to actually cover meaningfully unique assets being created, as hinted at by the product description. It would look like less of a wasteful consumerist splurge if you paid more to get something really super cool.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd actually forgotten all about PFO. Are they still trying to release this year?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Supposedly people are already playing and if you're willing to spend 100 bucks you too can buy into early-early access and have more XP than anyone else will ever have because that's not a terrible idea for an open world PVP game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Everything about PFO just makes me think Goblinworks/Paizo looked at Star Citizen and went, "Well, they got away with it..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pathfinder fans seem like a pretty rabid and exploitable bunch too. I'd milk them for every dime I could.

• Locked thread