Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Starfleet cadet Picard gritted his teeth, spread his cheeks, and became a disciple of Mr. Boothby. From then on, he was part of an elite network of groomed leaders looking out for each other, all with impeccable credentials and sore assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Frogisis posted:

Everyone else was even worse. Think how many hosed up or abandoned or destroyed ships the Enterprise is always stumbling on or rushing to bail out. Most other crews don't even survive their first encounter with crazy space poo poo, but Picard and the gang are like teflon.

Exactly, Picard and his crew had just about the most dangerous job in Starfleet. Losing three ships under those conditions isn't a sign of incompetence, it's three times he was lucky to be alive.

Which, naturally, leads one to wonder what the hell Starfleet was thinking letting the crew bring their kids along for the ride.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I thought he only lost one ship, the Enterprise D, and he wasn't even on it when it crashed. The Enterprise E was badly damaged several times but I don't recall it ever being destroyed. Or are we referring to the Stargazer too? But he didn't really lose that ship either. He got it back.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

im pretty sure they got locked in a time loop that one episode, so he lost the ship like 100 times then

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

He kept his ship alive longer than most of Starfleet's ships, which were all exploded by Borg or computer sentient viruses of the week. Or the Dominion. Or time vortices.

The real question is why Troi always was the top officer when the Enterprise crashes into planets and ships!

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Dely Apple posted:

He kept his ship alive longer than most of Starfleet's ships, which were all exploded by Borg or computer sentient viruses of the week. Or the Dominion. Or time vortices.

The real question is why Troi always was the top officer when the Enterprise crashes into planets and ships!

Yeah, a.social worker in.charge. sounds.cool

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Dely Apple posted:

Damnit Jean-Luc, I'm a guidance counselor not a helmsman!

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Her captain's license test was to send Geordi to his death. And it was proctored by her bff. I uh don't think that's very safe Starfleet :spergin:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Dely Apple posted:

Her captain's license test was to send Geordi to his death. And it was proctored by her bff. I uh don't think that's very safe Starfleet :spergin:

They knew no one would pass if the test involved killing a white guy. That's why Picard's decision to sacrifice Wesley's dad weighed so heavily on him.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Picard blew up Hella ships as Locutus of Borg. Like seriously. Gave Sisko some edge and hate. Sisko is the best Captain. Lead fleets, won wars, and always able to make hard choices.

Outside of that he busted up the Stargazer, technically the Enterprise D was busted thanks to Riker and Troi but there were so many instances of the Enterprise D being hosed and alternate versions, and he nearly lost the E and then later crashed it into Tom Hardys Reman poo poo.

Janeway was the most hosed poo poo. She got out clean and promoted for her bullshit.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

tv show op he was the lead actor

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
He's boytoy for that JAG Admiral from 'Measure of a Man' - she was pulling strings behind the scenes.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Gatts posted:

Picard blew up Hella ships as Locutus of Borg. Like seriously. Gave Sisko some edge and hate. Sisko is the best Captain. Lead fleets, won wars, and always able to make hard choices.

Outside of that he busted up the Stargazer, technically the Enterprise D was busted thanks to Riker and Troi but there were so many instances of the Enterprise D being hosed and alternate versions, and he nearly lost the E and then later crashed it into Tom Hardys Reman poo poo.

Janeway was the most hosed poo poo. She got out clean and promoted for her bullshit.
Kirk is the best captain because of that episode where this civilization has a simulated war between the two major powers but people are selected by computers on both sides to die and have to report to disintegration chambers and in order to stop this madness from happening he tells the Enterprise to glass the planet from orbit unless they agree to a peace treaty. Kirk gets what Kirk wants.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

david... posted:

tv show op he was the lead actor

actually its a documentary from the future so this theory doesnt hold any water

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
They still gave Kirk more, and he blew up like five with the self destruct.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this is why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

thathonkey posted:

is there a singular topic more insufferable to listen to people talk about than star trek? i figure this is the right thread to ask

Its difficult to top people discussing the artistic merits of the Star Wars prequels. They set the bar so low almost anything being discussed seems palatable in comparison.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

numberoneposter posted:

Kirk is the best captain because of that episode where this civilization has a simulated war between the two major powers but people are selected by computers on both sides to die and have to report to disintegration chambers and in order to stop this madness from happening he tells the Enterprise to glass the planet from orbit unless they agree to a peace treaty. Kirk gets what Kirk wants.

Incidentally this is the best episode of TOS ever. The set design is proper ridic too.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Hector Beerlioz posted:

They actually hate Picard, that is why they filled his ship with kids when he hates kids.

Glad someone involved with Star Trek hates kids, IYKWIM.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Because he could be trusted to keep his hands off troi's arse when she was being all "I am sensing...things."

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

ahh yes captain picard, the restrained and thoughtful captain.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Who is the real criminal here, Picard, or Kirk who wrote all those TekWar novels

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

ahh yes captain picard, the restrained and thoughtful captain.

Put some Borg in front of him and he goes Gangsta on dey asses. Tommy machine gun buddha buddha bam bam

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
mods?? MoDs??? i thought pedophilia was bannable on sa. gas this thread.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
I think the post-scarcity society meant all the cool spaceships startfeet could want, and so many people were just like "man in this great utopia nothing would bring me more satisfaction than building enterprises for troi to blow up" so jean luc got carte blanche in the ship department but I haven't read the series bible in a few months so let me get back to you when I have sources

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
The Enterprise E wasn't lost though. So he's really only guilty of two counts of disastrous incompetence.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

THE PENETRATOR posted:

mods?? MoDs??? i thought pedophilia was bannable on sa. gas this thread.

cat ghost please drop in REM

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

A more in universe explanation is that the Federation doesn't seem to have a shortage of ships, they have a shortage of crews.

Like when the Defiant from DS9 gets destroyed, even though the Federation was getting it's rear end kicked in the war they were still able to replace it in a matter of weeks.

Crews however are a different story. Just to get into Starfleet Academy you need a high IQ or the equivalent of a masters degree. Then passing the tests and getting through the training in the Academy is ridiculous and weeds out even more people. After all that, you are still likely to end up on a lovely assignment s like cataloging asteroids. and can only dream of being a captain of something important.

There's also the "enlisted" route of Miles O'Brian, where you start off as an red shirt who's given a phaser rifle and given the orders to fight (get slaughtered) by the enemies of the federation. But even then the only way up is by doing stuff like "transporter officer" for years.

So sure Picard trashed some ships, but he stayed alive, kept his crew alive, so he meets all the requirements for getting a new ship.

naem
May 29, 2011

Pretty sure I'm a red shirt irl

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Dely Apple posted:

cat ghost please drop in REM

cat ghost is descended dungeon... sorry mother fucker

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

naem posted:

Pretty sure I'm a red shirt irl

did you died

naem
May 29, 2011

Lucky Guy posted:

did you died

I'm the one you see just standing around with nice shoulders in the background pretending to talk

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shadoer posted:

A more in universe explanation is that the Federation doesn't seem to

Crews however are a different story. Just to get into Starfleet Academy you need a high IQ or the equivalent of a masters degree. Then passing the tests and getting through the training in the Academy is ridiculous and weeds out even more people. After all that, you are still likely to end up on a lovely assignment s like cataloging asteroids. and can only dream of being a captain of something important.

Wesley Crusher mentions that being the helmsman of the Enterprise, the FLAGSHIP, gets him credits which allow him to enter the academy, lmao.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Picard was a lovely captain but a good diplomat. They should have taken the Enterprise away and put him at an embassy somewhere on bumfucknowhere IV.

edit: Remember when Picard and Crusher were training for special ops poo poo? That was not even remotely believable.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

opus111 posted:

Wesley Crusher mentions that being the helmsman of the Enterprise, the FLAGSHIP, gets him credits which allow him to enter the academy, lmao.

Yeah? The boy is portrayed as a super genius. Also, being allowed to do poo poo on a flagship while incredibly stupid should be a case in favor of being let into the academy.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

Picard was a lovely captain but a good diplomat. They should have taken the Enterprise away and put him at an embassy somewhere on bumfucknowhere IV.

edit: Remember when Picard and Crusher were training for special ops poo poo? That was not even remotely believable.
one of the recurring problems of star trek. strike mission? yah ill go, im the blind chief engineer of a space ship, sure fine.

DS9 was a little better, but even then Kira is fending off Klingon raiders and Sisko takes out a dude with a one hit double fist punch to the back. So Klingons are just paper tigers basically and Warf is a big glass jawed baby.

This is getting hella nerdy but whatever.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Don't they learn calculus in 4th grade?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

one of the recurring problems of star trek. strike mission? yah ill go, im the blind chief engineer of a space ship, sure fine.

DS9 was a little better, but even then Kira is fending off Klingon raiders and Sisko takes out a dude with a one hit double fist punch to the back. So Klingons are just paper tigers basically and Warf is a big glass jawed baby.

This is getting hella nerdy but whatever.

On a tangent, that's one of the things I really loved about Stargate. The best weapons weren't the super advanced laser weapons that were just "weapons of terror". They were the good ol primative assault rifles which fired reliable led slugs. :)

None of this bs with people charging in with "bat'leths" or firing ineffective phasers that require you to be out of cover for a few moments to hit nothing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
TNG had lame rear end Worf getting his rear end kicked. DS9 had Worf as a sufficient badass and some good moments. Like when he snapped Weyon's neck, another Weyoun clone comes out and the Cardassian Damarr makes a crack poking fun at him for being killed and go try talking to Worf again.

Some Kanar with Damarr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i loving love star trek

gently caress the haters

• Locked thread