Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

No, the military made him pick up cigarette butts from a parking lot for hours at a time in between periods of mandatory classroom instruction but with literally no other alternative beyond "do it well" and "do it so impossibly badly you get assigned to something even more garbage instead", so I'm not really sure how the story ends well for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

quote:

Only about 15 per cent of ‘doctors’ in Chinese hospitals have an MD,

Hmm!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

haljordan posted:

I had to look up the milk powder part:

I'm not familiar with melamine but apparently you ain't supposed to drink it.

In Hong Kong like every store has a bunch of powdered baby formula out front- you're allowed to take a certain amount of it over the border back into China.

So I guess people still don't really trust the baby formula, despite the executions.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Bluemillion posted:

Not advisable for a tourist to visit the canals at night...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wja0RWvSOqY

this post hit me hard in the nostalgia

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hailthefish posted:

No, the military made him pick up cigarette butts from a parking lot for hours at a time in between periods of mandatory classroom instruction but with literally no other alternative beyond "do it well" and "do it so impossibly badly you get assigned to something even more garbage instead", so I'm not really sure how the story ends well for him.

If you feel that you work better in a freeform environment without standardised testing, joining the military would have to count as one of the stupidest things you could do.

It's like me saying I'm a hippy vegan pacifist, therefore I will join this tribe of atomic cannibal mutants who eat stranded travellers in the wastelands. We'll get on swell.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Monkey Fracas posted:

In Hong Kong like every store has a bunch of powdered baby formula out front- you're allowed to take a certain amount of it over the border back into China.

So I guess people still don't really trust the baby formula, despite the executions.

Many Asian supermarkets in American Chinatowns have a small rented spaces near the exit. Usually one of these spaces will be occupied by a business that sells, packages and ships certain items in bulk to China and chief among these are baby formula and vitamins because Chinese customers rightly question whether anything made in China is genuine or not. So it's sort of like a Western Union but for sensitive consumables. They do a brisk business, and you can tell when another contaminated food story is making the rounds in the motherland because the guy running the place will look all haggard and exhausted.

raton fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 5, 2015

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

saucerman posted:

Thanks for those insights! Not to go too much off topic from china.jpg but would you say your school was unusual compared to others? It does seem kinda extreme...

Korea is the most extreme of the Asian countries when it comes to "Brute-Force style" education, but there are tons of schools that are pretty much the exact same all over Korea, China, and most likely Japan (someone can probably confirm). Most of the private dormitory style schools were pretty much the same as this school, but this one might have been one of the more extreme cases when it came to sleep deprivation as it was an experimental public school that was trying to score the highest scores in the province. (more studying=higher marks) :rolleye:

When I was working there I did a thread about the experience and posted pics of the "study jail" (that's what the kids called the library)

Phlegmish posted:

blistex is the, um,_dead poets'society of korea

I've never seen it, but I get the reference.

I did some similar stuff when I was teaching at two High Schools in China, but didn't have the opportunity to take them on "field trips'. I'd say 75% of my classes were pretty traditional (western style classes) and 25% were what you would call alternative lessons. The typical English class in Korea/China that they would get from the regular teacher would be mass memorizing of vocab and key phrases, with no multimedia input whatsoever. Just firing up power point or loading a video on the projector was enough to get everyone to wake up and become super attentive.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Lol. Even places here have Chinese folks in doctor jackets peddling supplements but they never try hard or tell people things this outrageous. One supplement has a picture of Ryu and Chun-Li from street fighter that's meant to help with sexual desire. I'll have to take a picture of it.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
If firing up powerpoint made them wake up, what happened when you showed them Southpark?

Btw, you could excavate the pics of the concentration camp?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The Twinkie Czar posted:

And how does this story end? Did the military let him skip the traditional academic environment and self teach? America might be a lot better but you're still in trouble if you don't get in line with the academic system.

He became Chris Kyle

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

i'm guessing that it takes 10sec with google to find several modern studies showing the relation between sleep deprivation, regular breaks and concentration/learning ability.

so, what's going on with the school management? brain damage from melamine during childhood?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Does "googling" in China even work?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

JaucheCharly posted:

If firing up powerpoint made them wake up, what happened when you showed them Southpark?

I'd usually pick the tamest ones that has some sort of theme or message that they would get and could talk about. About once a month we had to re-watch the Warcraft one because a lot of their older brothers who were in University played that. When we watched out first one the kids would talk about it forever, and the two catch-phrases became instantly popular overnight. The "you killed kenny" one was used whenever someone made a mistake (dropped something, answered a question wrong, tripped, etc.). The "screw you guys I'm going home" one was used in an ironic manner whenever someone would say they wanted to escape school.

Kids were so desperate to get out of class for a few days that whenever a kid got pink eye, they would intentionally catch it from him/her so they could be excused from classes for a day or two. It got to the point that the school started a "pinkeye class" so kids didn't miss lessons, and overnight the new cases stopped.

JaucheCharly posted:

Btw, you could excavate the pics of the concentration camp?

I've got a ton on my Onedrive, here are pics from the Concentration Camp

Typical Classroom:

Study Jail:

Passed out student: (those are English phrase recordings he was listening to)

Roof of the Girl's dormitory where we snuck up to have an afternoon nap: (roof of the 8th floor)

There was a computer lab that I could sign out to take students to when we needed to type something or use the net. One night I used 5 USB drives and installed Starcraft on all 40 PCs so that once a month (day after their monthly tests) they could celebrate.

waitwhatno posted:

i'm guessing that it takes 10sec with google to find several modern studies showing the relation between sleep deprivation, regular breaks and concentration/learning ability.

so, what's going on with the school management? brain damage from melamine during childhood?

Even if the principal wanted to try letting them sleep longer (he didn't) the parents would cause an uproar over any shortening of their kids study time. You have to remember that this is the same country that had to enact schooling laws to try and keep parents from literally keeping their kids in school for 90% of their lives from age 4-University.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
You must've been an angel in disguise for those pupils.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

waitwhatno posted:

Why do doctors make interns work 100 hour weeks in hospitals even though it puts patents' lives at risk? Because if I did it, they have to, too. Made me the man I am today. *spit*

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why do doctors make interns work 100 hour weeks in hospitals even though it puts patents' lives at risk? Because if I did it, they have to, too. Made me the man I am today. *spit*

i have seriously no idea. maybe to see if they can keep their poo poo together under extreme conditions? a lot of people are great at things under optimal conditions, but fall apart under stress and make huge mistakes.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

Horatius Bonar posted:

I taught English in Taiwan.

The worst question you could ask a kid is "why?". Complete incomprehension.

"No why."

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

waitwhatno posted:

i have seriously no idea. maybe to see if they can keep their poo poo together under extreme conditions? a lot of people are great at things under optimal conditions, but fall apart under stress and make huge mistakes.

Do you let truckers drive 100h a week?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

waitwhatno posted:

i have seriously no idea.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Because if I did it, they have to, too. Made me the man I am today. *spit*

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Gorilla Salad posted:

This concept is explored in the book Disciplined Minds
http://www.amazon.com/Disciplined-Minds-Critical-Professionals-Soul-battering/dp/0742516857

His position is these stressful systems 1. select for candidates capable and willing to devote a lot of time and energy to Institutions' arbitrary tasks, and 2. generate shared experiences and a sense of accomplishment in those who get through which continues the cycle (like you said with Doctors).

The book also covers "cooling out" systems for letting misfits down without them going postal, usually by internalizing their "failure against fair standards" and providing stuff to ease the transition into other careers. Seems like these schools pretend it's impossible and let those kids fail out of society to save institutional face.

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 6, 2015

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Gorilla Salad posted:

Haha. The amount of clinical time for even low medical positions in America is astronomical.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
Not quite accurate anymore, I'm pretty sure they're over a billion now.
The driver part is spot on tho ....

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/argentine-presidents-tweet-causes-uproar/story-fnjwmwrh-1227209250180

quote:

ARGENTINA’S President Cristina Fernandez has been slammed for tweeting a racist joke about Chinese people while in the country for trade talks.

After holding bilateral talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping to gain investment for her embattled economy, Mrs Fernandez sent a tweet in Spanish to her 3.5 million followers where she switched the letter ‘r’ with ‘l’ to say: “Did they only come for lice and petloleum”.

A few minutes later, she added: “Sorry, the levels of ridiculousness and absurdity are so high they can only be digested with humour.”

Even presidents can't keep their cool when dealing with the Chinese.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Analytic Engine posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0742516857/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/179-8642693-2779548

His position is these stressful systems 1. select for candidates capable and willing to devote a lot of time and energy to Institutions' arbitrary tasks, and 2. generate shared experiences and a sense of accomplishment in those who get through which continues the cycle (like you said with Doctors).

The book also covers "cooling out" systems for letting misfits down without them going postal, usually by internalizing their "failure against fair standards" and providing stuff to ease the transition into other careers. Seems like these schools pretend it's impossible and let those kids fail out of society to save institutional face.

So bootcamp, basically?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Frosted Flake posted:

So bootcamp, basically?

Yes except without the "building back up" part of the process, instead you just develop anxiety disorders or narcotics addictions

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure I got more sleep at basic training than 4 hours

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think I'd probably just go back to the fields.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

FORGET ABOUT SLEEP WHEN DO WE GET THE GUNS?????!!!!!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hey, I told you that you don't get a gun until you tell me your name!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Analytic Engine posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0742516857/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/179-8642693-2779548

They need a counter-culture escape hatch so the pressure will drive away a critical mass of students and break the dynamic.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

this owns, isn't argentina in an economic freefall?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm sure the executions were just a show of force to prove that the government actually does care about scandal and corruption with only some of the individuals responsible getting caught/killed since the others could bribe or flee the country before getting caught in the net. Given what this thread has said about China's justice system, the trial may have been a farce too and even if some were guilty, the lack of any sort of due process makes it feel sort of hollow.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
The trials are a farce, it's a political purge. Xi wasn't so stupid that he didn't know every Chinese official was corrupt to the core. So all he has to do to solidify his power base is to pick his enemies for searches and audits, and some solid will inevitably come up without having to plant false evidence.

This also applies to those that create public scandals, both to reinforce the myth of the Party providing order and to regulate the industry in a manner that they'll actually obey.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 6, 2015

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Business Gorillas posted:

not really but the president may or may not have had a prosecutor murdered for finding out a secret plot to protect iranian agents

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

They aren't doing great and I think a big part of this trip was to get the Chinese to fill in the gap left by american investors.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

they've been a cartoonish failure for decades. i think the government has gone bankrupt, like actually defaulting on bonds bankrupt, like three times in the last 50 years. they can't get credit anywhere, and just a few months ago an American court basically barred them from ever doing business in the US again until they pay back decades of interest on loans to American banks, which will never happen. it's not really entirely their fault but lol anyways

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

JaucheCharly posted:

Do you let truckers drive 100h a week?

yes

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

*goes to china in desperate bid to open trade deals for ailing economy*
*accidentally does the "chinese, japanese, dirty knees" joke at a major function*

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

They're also not so fond of the Jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Has China discovered the wonders of Ritalin&co yet? Looking at the "vitamin" fortified milk powder craze I think they are ready to take that poo poo to the next level.

"Sir, I think we can get these children to only 2h32m of regular down-time per day, with minimal cardiovascular damage. Losses should be minimal."

• Locked thread