Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Morter posted:

That's awesome but I missed the part that has to do with the pope. :confuoot:

Pope Francis put his official support for bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Pope Francis put his official support for bill

:catstare: What the gently caress Francis, I thought you were cool? What happened to all the "love and tolerance" towards gay people?

I mean yeah I get that Francis/the Catholic Church aren't exactly in favor of gay marriage, but I thought that he was trying to get the leaders of the Church to stop being judgmental assholes and focus more on that whole "love, compassion, charity, and helping your fellow humans" thing that some dude named Jesus preached about.

Why the gently caress would he throw all that goodwill way? And especially on something that had a serious risk of backfiring on him like this?

fade5 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 8, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The Catholic Pope is a hardline Catholic?

Oh my stars and garters...

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If they want to get married though, I am totally the guy to judge. gently caress them.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This law would have not only banned gay marriage but also adoption

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

fade5 posted:

:catstare: What the gently caress Francis, I thought you were cool?

Ok yeah I can understand having to be the "company guy" for the Vatican or what the gently caress ever, but to hell with all of this. +1 on the "gently caress Pope Francis" train.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

fade5 posted:

:catstare: What the gently caress Francis, I thought you were cool

Pope Francis isn't all that different from his predecessors doctrinally speaking. He's just emphasizing different aspects that are more palatable.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This law would have not only banned gay marriage but also adoption

Yeah okay, gently caress him for completely supporting this then.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Also the option for parents to opt out of sex education for their kids, I think. Just an all around great idea.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Not sure why you guys think "I won't judge gay people's actions" is anywhere close to the same thing as "I and the Church now support gay rights or widespread, global acceptance." He's still not a fan of gay marriage or homosexuality in general. That he'd support a law against such things isn't shocking in the slightest. Especially since it's still the church's position.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

We're not shocked, we're irked. I don't know why you think we're shocked. Having people in a marriage equality thread saying "gently caress you" to someone who's gaining fame for misleading others into thinking he's an accepting, kind soul, despite the influence he has on making others do the opposite (with things like that Slovak law) isn't surprising in the least.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Video from Alabama rally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQgRUo2eZw8

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't really get the Catholic opposition to gay adoption.

Like yeah okay, even if you did believe that stable gay parents are somehow less fit or the children turn out less well than children in a stable two-parent household (against all evidence, of course but still even granting it for the sake of argument), it's not like there's a shortage of unwanted children and gay people are stealing them from loving straight people. Surely it's better for a kid to be adopted into a less-than-ideal situation than to stay an orphan.

Also of course, the opposition to letting a gay person adopt their partner's child is just senselessly cruel. It doesn't reduce the number of children raised by gay couples (obviously), but it can and does result in children being taken away from their primary caregiver if the biological parent dies.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
If they're adopted by gay couples then kids will grow up seeing that seduced into believing there's nothing wrong with being gay and then Satan wins.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

VitalSigns posted:

They're as much interested in actually helping children as Mother Teresa was in helping the sick. They want to moralize, and they want to use their religion as a weapon against undesirables. This has been a constant throughout history. The specific issues at hand have changed, but the overall thinking really hasn't.

They view a society condoning abortion and birth control, with more abortions/dead mothers, as being a greater sin than living in a society that doesn't even if that leads to more abortions/dead women. Similarly they view living in a society that does not condone being gay as a greater blessing even if that leads to more suicides/broken families/etc.

They do not take these positions from a utilitarian point of view. These are idealistic statements about the way they think the world ought to be. They do not care if people are happy if those happy people are living in a way they believe is sinful. They perceive the socially-induced negative impacts on gay people and gay families as righteous punishment for sinners.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 9, 2015

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

VitalSigns posted:

Well, blessing gay adoption more or less brings with it acknowledgement that a gay partnership is functional and healthy, and that a gay couple is perfectly capable of raising children just like a heterosexual couple. You can't really make an argument against gay marriage while simultaneously saying it's okay for gays to adopt. You also have to remember that a lot of these people think that homosexuality is a choice that those dastardly homos are trying to spread like some kind of cult, and probably assume gay parents will "teach" their adopted children to be gay as well.

In other words, it's the same blend of hysteria and theological doctrine that causes them to oppose gay marriage.

fade5 posted:

:catstare: What the gently caress Francis, I thought you were cool? What happened to all the "love and tolerance" towards gay people?

Pope Francis has gotten a lot of cred for taking a fairly liberal stance as far as Catholicism goes - particularly considering his position - , but he's still backed a number of hardline conservative issues within the church including the ban on teaching & using birth control, the ban on gay marriage, and affirming that women cannot be members of the clergy. Also, his earlier remarks about not judging homosexuals was exaggerated like crazy. "It's okay for gays to strive to be good Catholics" does not equal "I support marriage and equal rights for gays."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah basically Francis was taking the doctrine that the Church has had for a while, "It's not a sin to be gay, as long as you never act on those feelings and live a life of celibacy so that you don't sin." He did say that helping the poor is more important than other issues, but that doesn't mean he doesn't think things like gay marriage are unimportant issues. On top of that, he wasn't out there constantly talking about "the gay menace" like Huckabee and people from NOM and other organizations are. He put out support for the bill, but he didn't devote all his time to talking about how it needed to pass or the like (at least not as far as I know).

It's a bit better than the US fundamentalists who claim that being gay is a sin by itself, even if you don't ever act on it, so it's easy to see why it was exaggerated into "Francis completely supports gay people!"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sydin posted:

Pope Francis has gotten a lot of cred for taking a fairly liberal stance as far as Catholicism goes - particularly considering his position - , but he's still backed a number of hardline conservative issues within the church including the ban on teaching & using birth control, the ban on gay marriage, and affirming that women cannot be members of the clergy. Also, his earlier remarks about not judging homosexuals was exaggerated like crazy. "It's okay for gays to strive to be good Catholics" does not equal "I support marriage and equal rights for gays."

There was another one last year where he said it was OK for priests to be openly gay, and that he had no right to judge a priest negatively for being gay, and not a single news source that I saw pointed out the clear context that the Catholic Church's position on being gay is that being gay is not a choice (and therefore is not a sin) but that having gay sex is (and is sinful, just like all non-procreative sex), and that the reason Francis was saying he had no right to judge a gay priest was because priests are celibate, and so a gay priest is no different from a straight priest, because they aren't commiting the sinful act of having gay sex.

Instead it was all "Pope says he can't judge gays" and "Pope says gays are the same as straight people". It was clear very early on in Francis' term as pope that any time he was in the news, what the pope said and what the article quoting him said he said were often completely different.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

He did say that helping the poor is more important than other issues, but that doesn't mean he doesn't think things like gay marriage are unimportant issues.

It's a goddamned shame that it's such a hurdle to realize that some of the poor being helped by allowing gays to adopt are those kids that are up for adoption. :argh:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Every time I miss the solemnity of mass, the majesty of the church of rome, the connection to the community I felt as being part of the community of believers, the rich artistic history...I remember how weird catholicism is about sex.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

If they're adopted by gay couples then kids will grow up seeing that seduced into believing there's nothing wrong with being gay and then Satan wins.

It sounds awfully Manichean to suggest that Satan can win and not God...you heretic :catholic:

Sydin posted:

Well, blessing gay adoption more or less brings with it acknowledgement that a gay partnership is functional and healthy, and that a gay couple is perfectly capable of raising children just like a heterosexual couple. You can't really make an argument against gay marriage while simultaneously saying it's okay for gays to adopt. You also have to remember that a lot of these people think that homosexuality is a choice that those dastardly homos are trying to spread like some kind of cult, and probably assume gay parents will "teach" their adopted children to be gay as well.

I know that consistency isn't exactly the strong point of people who believe this, but it would seem like on these grounds you'd have to oppose the legality of Jewish or Muslim adoption as well, because those parents are obviously going to raise their child to be Jewish or Muslim (way more successful than the attempt to raise your child to be straight or gay, might I add) and then they're at a critical risk that any sins they commit won't be forgiven since their children aren't coming to God through Christ.

Anyway, I'm obviously not asking you to defend it but the logic that children are better off unwanted than being raised by a generous and loving couple of sinners (uh aren't we all sinners) or even that they're less likely to be saved if they're raised by a gay Christian couple than a straight Hindu couple seems really bizarre and antithetical to Christian doctrine.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 9, 2015

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Every time I miss the solemnity of mass, the majesty of the church of rome, the connection to the community I felt as being part of the community of believers, the rich artistic history...I remember how weird catholicism is about sex.

What about Orthodox churches? I don't hear nearly as much about everyday life issues with them, for better or worse.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Y'all, what the gently caress. (link)

quote:

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore late Sunday ordered all probate judges and employees in Alabama to follow existing state law and not issue or recognize same-sex marriages.

AL.com reports the order from Moore outlines his role as the state’s chief judicial officer and says that he is empowered to block any move that will bring chaos and confusion into the system, regardless of federal court orders.

Alabama on Monday will becomes the 37th state where same-sex couple can legally wed unless the U.S. Supreme Court orders a last-minute stay of a federal judge’s decision overturning the state’s gay marriage ban.

Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to put aside the judge’s order since justices are expected to decide the issue of gay marriage on a nationwide basis later this year. As of Sunday evening, the high court had not ruled on the request.

Moore has repeatedly urged probate judges to refuse to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, but the order issued Sunday comes in direct conflict with the federal court’s ruling.

It is unclear whether judges will comply with Moore’s order, or the federal court ruling that the ban is unconstitutional.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

discoukulele posted:

Everyone's looking for their last stand in the schoolhouse door without realizing that whole thing was basically staged.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Fuschia tude posted:

What about Orthodox churches? I don't hear nearly as much about everyday life issues with them, for better or worse.

Are you joking or have you not paid attention to Russia at all for the past 4ish years

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

discoukulele posted:

Yeah its about to loving go down.

-George Wallace

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

discoukulele posted:

Reminder that if it's morning and the Supreme Court still has done nothing to continue the stay, technically by doing this they're disobeying the Supreme Court of the entire country.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

discoukulele posted:

Moore was thrown out once before for ignoring court orders, but Alabama is one of the many states that elect judges and, well, this

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Chris James 2 posted:

Reminder that if it's morning and the Supreme Court still has done nothing to continue the stay, technically by doing this they're disobeying the Supreme Court of the entire country.

What would be the punishment for doing so?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Maybe thrown off the bench again*

*until next election when the overwhelming number of shitheads in Alabama elect him back...again

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Fuschia tude posted:

The Orthodox church is one of the reasons why Russia is such a dusgusting backwards shithole.

Source: I live here and I get to listen to those bloated old schizophrenics screech about GAWD and MORALITY and TRADITIONS on tv.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

hangedman1984 posted:

Maybe thrown off the bench again*

*until next election when the overwhelming number of shitheads in Alabama elect him back...again
He won with 52% of the vote.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The same thing that happens to any employee that refuses to do their job. First they get yelled at by their boss (in this case the Alabama state government or, if they don't feel like yelling, the federal government) to do their drat job, and if they still refuse then they're fired and replaced by somebody who will do the job.

As mentioned above, Moore has a history of this poo poo anyway, so I can't imagine he's expecting any less than what happened last time.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
On one hand, I don't like to see anything going down that would feed into these idiots' persecution complex. OTOH, the idea of the National Guard getting called in to marry the gays is pretty goddamn funny.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Roy Moore takes 85 cents for every dollar donated to his Foundation for Moral Law as salary so he won't be hurting financially. It dwarfs his day job.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

He won with 52% of the vote.

His opposition candidate wasn't really into the idea of running. He put out like one commercial?

Wanna know something funny? The reason he ran was that the democratic candidate got disqualified after several insane rants against gays and lesbians.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

LLJKSiLk posted:

Roy Moore takes 85 cents for every dollar donated to his Foundation for Moral Law as salary so he won't be hurting financially. It dwarfs his day job.

It's kinda amazing how blatant they are about fleecing those morons.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Man, a lot of people in Alabama are being exposed as assholes right now. A lot of our probate judges are refusing to marry same-sex couples or something stupid, pretty sure that's going to cause problems for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I appreciate the rationalization for refusing to do their job, and this hasn't been limited to Alabama, is that they don't want to introduce confusion and chaos into the system, despite the fact the most effective way to do just that is to refuse to do their job.

• Locked thread