Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Benjamin Franklin talked up a lot of poo poo about the subhuman status of Native Americans and black people, to the point where it was notable in the environment of the 1700's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

What's the first Dumb as gently caress thing that we have an American politician saying? Like politicians are saying Dumb as gently caress things seemingly all the time today but was there some Whig going on about "Ye Exifential Threat Pofed by the Moorish Mohhammedman to Our Blesfed Nation".

We call him Shakespeare.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Fried Chicken posted:

Funny thing, this sort of attack was predicted by Cory Doctorow in 2012. It would be really nice if these assholes would start trying to create the cool parts of science fiction, instead of just the dsytopian elements

It's cool as gently caress if you're an infosec nerd :awesome:

"Oh the server has a virus"
"I'll wipe it and restore..."
"No, we actually have to shred it and get a new one"

Boon posted:

This article is making my recent decision to move to Minneapolis for an MBA retroactively a great decision...

http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/the-miracle-of-minneapolis/384975/

I've been saying for years that it's a great place to live if you can stand the winters which, thanks to climate change, are only going to get milder.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 17, 2015

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
On a related note, Schoolhouse Rock's "Elbow Room" popped up in my head yesterday and dear god what a horrible song that was.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

So you probably heard on the news about the report from Kaspersky about how a munch of banks were robbed by hackers. This is clearly very important because while no individuals were effected, it will impact the quarterly reports for those banks and cost their finance guys a few points off their huge bonuses. Truly, a tragic event like no other.

What you probably didn't hear about was Kaspersky's other report, on what they termed the "Equation Group" and their engagement in cyber warfare. These guys have cranked out a whole suite of new malware applications which "exceeds anything we have ever seen before," per the report. Of course cyber warefare is not a precision art, like Stuxnet and Flame these things got out into the wild where Kaspersky found them. Kaspersky didn't know who it was that was building them, but did identify a signature - they targeted firmware and could spread to air-gapped computers (ones that aren't connected to the internet) via USB or were set so the attacker could install new features remotely, using control servers set up across the world. These are pretty insidious programs; here's a highlight

This is stuff that you do not get rid of; Kaspersky's recommendation is that if you get infected your only response is to destroy the machine

If you are waiting for the punchline (or why this belongs in the USA thread), here it is: per Reuter's reports, the Equation Group is the NSA.

Funny thing, this sort of attack was predicted by Cory Doctorow in 2012. It would be really nice if these assholes would start trying to create the cool parts of science fiction, instead of just the dsytopian elements

Spy agency does targeted spying, more at 11 on our totally new dystopia.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

An Angry Bug posted:

On a related note, Schoolhouse Rock's "Elbow Room" popped up in my head yesterday and dear god what a horrible song that was.

One thing you will discover
When you get next to one another
Is everybody needs some lebensraum, lebensraum

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's cool and all but job growth in Minneapolis is still dwarfed by Denver or Austin. Also, Minneapolis is pretty much hell for a huge chunk of the year unless you love snow that you can't ski in.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dallas actually has way more money and job opportunities than Austin, but then you'd be living in Dallas.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Munkeymon posted:

I've been saying for years that it's a great place to live if you can stand the winters which, thanks to climate change, are only going to get milder.
I specifically remember my Physical Environment (very basic geo-graphy/logy) teacher saying that our winters are supposed to get colder and our summers hotter, going forward, but I have little memory of even the past year (which I am okay with) for comparison.
I proudly describe The Cities as "one of the least terrible places to live in the U.S., even factoring in winter."

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Radbot posted:

That's cool and all but job growth in Minneapolis is still dwarfed by Denver or Austin. Also, Minneapolis is pretty much hell for a huge chunk of the year unless you love snow that you can't ski in.

Denver also has great weather and legalized recreational weed

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Denver also has great weather and legalized recreational weed

Isn't Denver a frozen hellscape in winter?

Otoh, I'm from Nola so my definition of Frozen Hellscape is expansive

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DemeaninDemon posted:

"We the people..."?

:drat:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Rygar201 posted:

Nope. I just rode my motorcycle from Denver to Nederland, CO (in the mountains) this Saturday. No ice or snow on the roads at all.

Obviously it does snow here, but the amounts are far, far lower than Boston, Buffalo, Minneapolis, etc.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

I specifically remember my Physical Environment (very basic geo-graphy/logy) teacher saying that our winters are supposed to get colder and our summers hotter, going forward, but I have little memory of even the past year (which I am okay with) for comparison.
I proudly describe The Cities as "one of the least terrible places to live in the U.S., even factoring in winter."

Yeah, winters in coastal climates may be milder, but continental winters are going to be much worse. Is what I recall from my learning anyhow.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'm from the Bay and go to school in Orange County, so I'm really not used to humid summers; even when it hits 100F here I'm grateful that it's single-digit humidity when it happens.

How humid does it get in Denver or Minneapolis during the summer?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Wait, there's such a thing as single digit humidity?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Yeah, when it's like 85 or higher here. Then again when the Santa Ana winds come, it'll make your skin dry like a mummy.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It's bad in Minneapolis, and usually involves large swarms of mosquitoes. I still love it here though, I used to want to move but then I found out that Minneapolis is one of the few cities that's pretty cool yet doesn't have stupidly high rent.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

US Politics February, where D&D discusses the weather. :D

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Hell, I'm just happy when the humidity is lower than the temperature in the summer.

Only 96 degrees and 80% humidity? What a relief!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

"Yes". Never mind the 70 degree weekend we just had in the first week of February.

Also, Colorado is full, the 300 days of sunshine a year have already been parceled out to the existing populace.

Just forget I said that last part.

Also also, I'm very glad that I was able to purchase a home close to the Denver metro area last year. Real estate prices on the front range have gone from "Downtown Austin" to "Manhattan" and I expect them to approach "Waterfront San Francisco" at some point in 2016.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 17, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

E: ^ yeah, Denver is really attractive as a place to live, but I'd have had to have gotten in a few years ago to make it attractive to pay for. I mean, ditto for NY but decades instead of years

Tubgoat posted:

I saw/heard somewhere that average days below 10 F has fallen (in half?) since the beginning of the 1900s or something like that, which indicates winters are getting milder overall.

Radbot posted:

Nope. I just rode my motorcycle from Denver to Nederland, CO (in the mountains) this Saturday. No ice or snow on the roads at all.

Obviously it does snow here, but the amounts are far, far lower than Boston, Buffalo, Minneapolis, etc.

It snows way more in the NE because of the great lakes. As far as I can tell, we don't get nearly as many massive, crippling blizzards - just a couple weeks a year where ~7 F is the warmest day. Or "just" depending on your cold tolerance. Mine is unusually good, luckily.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It's the midwest, so we get a few days of 90%+ but it's generally ~60-80%. I've heard Denver is pretty dry all the time.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 17, 2015

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Denver doesn't get nearly the snow of the northeast. Last week was near 70 all week and we've had an exceptionally mild winter this year. We have snow on the ground now and more coming this weekend but in all, there's other places with much worse winters. However, we have no loving clue how to deal with snow when we get it. The city is terrible about getting ahead of storms and the drivers are even worse about dealing with it.

As for moisture, summers are dry. Hell, winters are dry. We're a high altitude desert.

At this point though, living in the city unless you already own means you need serious money. Almost every neighbourhood is exceptionally overpriced. Expect slightly less than New York prices for vastly less than New York prestige. But hey, if you listen to a lot of residents, we're the only state with mountains.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My wife and I had half-seriously talked about relocating out of the midwest, but if weather is just going to get more extreme as global warming increases we may want to more seriously start looking. Earlier today I actually polled random places in the world looking for any place that was as cold as Iowa is right now. The only place I could find was a town in the extreme north of siberia, even McMurdo in Antarctica was warmer than us.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Not to continue Denverchat, but there are many cheap, decent places to live as long as you don't need to worry about good schools. Like any neighborhood that feeds in to Denver West High School, reduced price lunch percentage of 87%.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 17, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Radbot posted:

Not to continue Denverchat, but there are many cheap, decent places to live as long as you don't need to worry about good schools. Like any neighborhood that feeds in to Denver West High School, reduced price lunch percentage of 87%.

Well there's the rub isn't there. They're probably still better than Metro Baton Rouge schools. How's the state University system?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rygar201 posted:

Most of the snowfall in Denver is in March and April, and even then it disappears within a few days to a week. poo poo, it's true for a lot of the Rocky Mountain region. I'm from central Wyoming and there's no difference between the two in climate to me.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
So what's the outlook for the court injunction against Obama's immigration orders? Seems like another cheap King-esque farce but I'm not well versed enough to know.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
On the Kaspersky/NSA super virus chat, BadBios was a thing being talked about a year and a half ago but everyone thought it was either a hoax or the ramblings of a schizophrenic.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/meet-badbios-the-mysterious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Byolante posted:

On the Kaspersky/NSA super virus chat, BadBios was a thing being talked about a year and a half ago but everyone thought it was either a hoax or the ramblings of a schizophrenic.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/meet-badbios-the-mysterious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/

Because it is the rambling of a schizophrenic. Malware can't spread itself via speakers and based on the recent Kaspersky release if the dude was having an issue with something that really was NSA malware, it's something placed into the install media itself.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The Rise of Homeschooling Among Black Families

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/02/the-rise-of-homeschooling-among-black-families/385543/

So depressing (in more ways than one).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Because it is the rambling of a schizophrenic. Malware can't spread itself via speakers and based on the recent Kaspersky release if the dude was having an issue with something that really was NSA malware, it's something placed into the install media itself.

Yeah, the new malware bridges air gaps with a USB key/Windows Explorer exploit and stored state on each side. Speakers have nothing to do with it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So stupid question, but are we about to have another shutdown because republicans don't want a immigration bill to pass?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

pengun101 posted:

So stupid question, but are we about to have another shutdown because republicans don't want a immigration bill to pass?

Limited shutdown, but looks like, yes. Boehner's anger at the senate is entertaining at least.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

What do Afghanistan, Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Benin, Cameroon, Canada, Chad, Denmark, Eqypt, France, Germany, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Lebannon, Libya, Morocco, Netherlands, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Syria, Turkey, UAE, United Kingdom, United States and Yemen have in common?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

What do Afghanistan, Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Benin, Cameroon, Canada, Chad, Denmark, Eqypt, France, Germany, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Lebannon, Libya, Morocco, Netherlands, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Syria, Turkey, UAE, United Kingdom, United States and Yemen have in common?

Are these countries in which Ludacris has hoes?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

We've killed a citizen of each with a drone?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

In open conflict against ISIS?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Boon posted:

In open conflict against ISIS?

Isis chopped off a citizen's head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Rygar201 posted:

Well there's the rub isn't there. They're probably still better than Metro Baton Rouge schools. How's the state University system?

It's... OK. CU Boulder is a decent school, Colorado State University less so, and then it's pretty much downhill from there.

• Locked thread