Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

anotherblownsave posted:

Wouldn't an item like this do better in a traditional auction house?
Probably...but that costs the seller more in fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Probably...but that costs the seller more in fees.

Doubt it. Big item pieces generally have fees reduced or removed (if they're special enough) as they're used to market the auction.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Anyone know of any good books for schedules and/or tickets? The one that I've been using is kind of...

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
What is wrong with a wildly inappropriate book as a storage device? I keep my game tickets in a copy of the Book of Mormon I swiped from a hotel in Chicago when I saw Liriano throw his no-hitter.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Fleer made some extra long cards in 1994 or 95 and you can still get top loaders for them that will fit game tickets nicely.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Photo albums work great and they fit on a shelf. From what I've read modern photo album paper won't damage things. If you want to show off your tickets, panoramic albums are good. For a nice border you can use construction paper

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I got one of these as a gift this year over the holidays. Kind of narrow for the souveneir style tickets but it's been a nice holder.

It sucks that so many sports teams are eliminating physical tickets. Half the Chicago teams are digital only unless you want to print them off your computer.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Niwrad posted:

It sucks that so many sports teams are eliminating physical tickets. Half the Chicago teams are digital only unless you want to print them off your computer.

And even then, what's the point. I save tickets from everything but printouts just get tossed.

I have my great uncle's unused ticket to the 1934 Rose Bowl, it's gorgeous. Are there even legitimate nice looking paper tickets for like, the World Series any more?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

And even then, what's the point. I save tickets from everything but printouts just get tossed.

I have my great uncle's unused ticket to the 1934 Rose Bowl, it's gorgeous. Are there even legitimate nice looking paper tickets for like, the World Series any more?

Yes.

I collect tickets, and the way most teams do it is beautiful tickets for season ticket holders, and emailed tickets for everyone else. The generic, Ticketmaster-style printed ticket is going away, except for retail and one-off purchases.

To answer the direct question, MLB issues the same kind of generic tickets for all season ticket holders of playoff-eligible teams. The only difference in tickets is a different color scheme and team logos used, although this year's World Series tickets were kicked up some. Every team had the same pattern of inside ballpark, outside ballpark, home uniform, and trophy (for AL only, in case of Game 7).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I've had season tickets to the Chicago Bulls for like 9 years and they always mailed out a nice souvenir style ticket. I always saved them, they make a great keepsake.

This year they got rid of them though and went digital only. I'm hoping they give the option next year to get them back though. It seems like they tried this with the White Sox and enough people complained that they'll let you buy the souvenir tickets for $20 if you want.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Niwrad posted:

I've had season tickets to the Chicago Bulls for like 9 years and they always mailed out a nice souvenir style ticket. I always saved them, they make a great keepsake.

This year they got rid of them though and went digital only. I'm hoping they give the option next year to get them back though. It seems like they tried this with the White Sox and enough people complained that they'll let you buy the souvenir tickets for $20 if you want.

From what I can remember, every Detroit team has always had souvenir-style tickets in some way. The Red Wings put photos on the tickets for the first time in 1995-96 (70th anniversary) and has had some sort of decorative design since, for example.

Among Chicago teams, the Cubs had beautiful tickets (and scorecards, and programs) for Wrigley's 100th anniversary this year, the Bears had a generic player shot, and the Blackhawks have a generic design that changes each season.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah it'll be interesting to see if the other Chicago teams follow suit. Here was an article on it that talked about our local teams. Kind of made it seem like the other teams might follow suit soon.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-sports-tickets-spt-1202-20141125-story.html

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

theacox posted:

A couple guys in Milwaukee are trying to start a National Bobblehead HOF. Link to kickstarter. I like the idea.

fake edit: Link to their site.

This is from awhile back but they didn't meet their goal. $250k was a lot of money and I'm surprised they even pulled in the $50k. It's a cool concept although I don't know how sustainable it is. Or how much interest it would really draw. The cynical side of me thinks it was an idea for a diehard collector to get a lot of free bobbleheads in his collection.

I've been collecting bobbleheads for years now and it's a fun hobby.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

What should I do with all these holograms?????!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Strong Sauce posted:

What should I do with all these holograms?????!

Honestly? Head over to https://reddit.com/r/baseballcards - there are collectors for these things popping up frequently.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Oh my god I loved those. I would wallpaper my card albums with them and was just as excited to get them as the cards themselves.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Holograms are underrated and I wish they'd make a comeback. I'd be way more excited to pull a cool looking hologram than another stupid solid white event used jersey card.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Those Upper Deck team holograms were cooler than Fleer's team stickers, but all stickers are cool.

Did anyone else ever put together a Donruss Diamond Kings puzzle?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Boinks posted:

Holograms are underrated and I wish they'd make a comeback. I'd be way more excited to pull a cool looking hologram than another stupid solid white event used jersey card.

Holograms are awesome, we need an updated set of team logo holograms.

The Tigers did a huge giveaway of Tiger Stadium hologram cards at Blockbuster Video in 1994...I still see lots of these come up around Detroit, as they apparently came out right before the season got cancelled.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I still have the first 2 full sets of Denny's "Grand Slam" holograms.

As some of you have said, way cooler than most of today's inserts/parallels .

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Those Upper Deck team holograms were cooler than Fleer's team stickers, but all stickers are cool.

A few... 88, 89 and 90 I believe.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I did one, I think it was 86. Hank Aaron was the guy

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Speaking of tickets, along with collecting ticket stubs for every game I go to, I also have a list in an excel spreadsheet of every single professional and collegiate sporting event I have ever attended. I started it about 15 years ago when I was in middle school (using old ticket stubs and programs, along with microfilm to piece together everything from my birth up until that point) and have kept it up to date ever since. Am I the only one who does this? It's kind of anal, but it's cool to pull it up and see that I've gone to 143 MLB games and have every one listed out with the final score. It's like instant nostalgia.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

OctoberBlues posted:

Speaking of tickets, along with collecting ticket stubs for every game I go to, I also have a list in an excel spreadsheet of every single professional and collegiate sporting event I have ever attended. I started it about 15 years ago when I was in middle school (using old ticket stubs and programs, along with microfilm to piece together everything from my birth up until that point) and have kept it up to date ever since. Am I the only one who does this? It's kind of anal, but it's cool to pull it up and see that I've gone to 143 MLB games and have every one listed out with the final score. It's like instant nostalgia.

I also have this, and it's gotten very hard with a sports-related job. That being said, have you seen hardballpassport.com? It's amazing, and would be right up your alley.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I thought this was an interesting article on autograph forgery - http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=36888

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

OctoberBlues posted:

Yeah I do this too, I have a scrap book for ticket stubs as well. I also try to find one cool thing about the game to note. Like a Bruins game I went to I saw Zdeno Chara's 300th career point. Also the NBA finals where the Lakers (almost) had the largest comeback in NBA finals history against the Celtics, or the ALDS where Jed Lowrie hit a walk off single to win the series against the Angels.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I wouldn't even touch anything supposedly signed by Shoeless Joe unless it's a legal document. Even then it's possible his wife signed it. As that article mentions, even experts can't agree on what is or is not a real Shoeless Joe signature.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

OctoberBlues posted:

I have been to nine MLB games, which is a number I can pretty easily track since I live in the middle of Canada and have to make a special trip to catch big league ball. I have a few of the stubs kicking around, but the only one I make a point to keep is from a no-hitter. My typical artifact of choice is a shot glass from each of the stadiums I visit.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Deathlove posted:

I thought this was an interesting article on autograph forgery - http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=36888

The related article about the 100 biggest verification screw ups is a goldmine.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=26228

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

The related article about the 100 biggest verification screw ups is a goldmine.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=26228

That's always my favorite all-time screw up.

Anyone go to spring training this year? I ended up meeting several big names and getting autographs. Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan, Tom Glavine, Bobby Cox, Max Scherzer, etc.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but:

For Record Store Day this year (which was yesterday) Microfiche Records put out a game played on a multi-grooved record called RPM Turntable Baseball. The idea seems to be that when you drop the needle, the separate grooves are close enough that you're not able to tell whether you got a hit, an out, or any other result until after the announcer says so. Inside the record sleeve are even little scorecards, which is awesome. Games like this apparently used to be relatively common, but I'd never heard of such a thing and some hobbyist game designer friends and I decided we needed to have it. The "B-Side" game is a mascot race of different food products.

I haven't actually gotten the chance to play it yet ("actually owning a record player" is the second part of this mission) but I thought you guys might appreciate it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I found some MLB 2015 Chipz last night at Target.

Am I the only loser who collects these things? :smith:

I think they're neat because they're different.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Farchanter posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but:

For Record Store Day this year (which was yesterday) Microfiche Records put out a game played on a multi-grooved record called RPM Turntable Baseball. The idea seems to be that when you drop the needle, the separate grooves are close enough that you're not able to tell whether you got a hit, an out, or any other result until after the announcer says so. Inside the record sleeve are even little scorecards, which is awesome. Games like this apparently used to be relatively common, but I'd never heard of such a thing and some hobbyist game designer friends and I decided we needed to have it. The "B-Side" game is a mascot race of different food products.

I haven't actually gotten the chance to play it yet ("actually owning a record player" is the second part of this mission) but I thought you guys might appreciate it.

I will say, I've never heard of this.

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

Red posted:

I found some MLB 2015 Chipz last night at Target.

Am I the only loser who collects these things? :smith:

I think they're neat because they're different.

I like these a lot! I can't say no when I'm at Target. Are they doing magnet chips again this year?

Bunch of recent pickups. Going to sell one of the Aaron rookies, likely the 3. The 2 has a very light crease but displays better.

Love these Blues.

Took me way too long to track one of these down. This is a high school set from '92. Some of the other pictures are incredibly derpy.

Love me some Rendon. Can't wait to see him back.
/5

/66

/1

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

WillBBC3 posted:

I like these a lot! I can't say no when I'm at Target. Are they doing magnet chips again this year?

- They are doing magnet chips (they're easy to pick out)
- It looks like they've stopped doing stickers
- They have rare chipz in various colors other than red and white
- More mascots than EVER!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I was at a flea market today and the guy was selling 1990 and 1995 topps complete sets for $5. I decided against it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Imma get me a set of 1986 Topps. That was the first year my brother and I started spending all our spare change on baseball cards, and each pack came with one thin panel of the only bubble gum capable of scratching diamonds. Those are still the cards that I think of when someone says "Baseball cards."

Now, for my stupid question: is there such a thing as just regular baseball cards anymore? Everything now seems to be some special edition or another. I remember this starting to happen back in the 90s, when brands like Score and Upper Deck popped up. (Before then, there were 3 brands: Topps, Donruss, and Fleer. And Topps was by far the most commonly available.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

tarlibone posted:

Now, for my stupid question: is there such a thing as just regular baseball cards anymore? Everything now seems to be some special edition or another. I remember this starting to happen back in the 90s, when brands like Score and Upper Deck popped up. (Before then, there were 3 brands: Topps, Donruss, and Fleer. And Topps was by far the most commonly available.

Topps Series 1, 2 and Update for a given season are what I think of when I think of regular cards with no gimmicks.

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/2015-topps-series-1-baseball-cards

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 20, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes, also Topps Heritage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Don't the majority of people now just keep inserts and toss the regular cards? Like when there are box breaks, they don't usually even ship non-inserts to the people, do they?

• Locked thread