Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Bishop posted:

There's so many combos of bands and watch face colors, plus any really classy guy owns a few true automatics. gently caress Rolex give me a Patek or an iwc. My iwc Portuguese automatic is my most pro watch

rolex is a bit tricky, on one hand they make utter disgusting pig poo poo trash with gold and whatnot that only a brain damaged russian kleptocrat would want, the cyclops they put on a lot of their offerings is also poo poo and gay, but then they makes nice stuff like the milgauss, the explorer I, the no date sub, the air king

does your iwc have the 3-9 subdial layout or the 6-12, im not sure im a fan of how it eats into the numbers on the 6-12, but all in all a great looking watch

iwc is turning to poo poo before out very eyes though, vintage will be the way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Dave Concepcion posted:

rolex is a bit tricky, on one hand they make utter disgusting pig poo poo trash with gold and whatnot that only a brain damaged russian kleptocrat would want, the cyclops they put on a lot of their offerings is also poo poo and gay, but then they makes nice stuff like the milgauss, the explorer I, the no date sub, the air king

does your iwc have the 3-9 subdial layout or the 6-12, im not sure im a fan of how it eats into the numbers on the 6-12, but all in all a great looking watch

iwc is turning to poo poo before out very eyes though, vintage will be the way to go

same

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

wwatch my balls op!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

my tiny, womanly wrists prevent me from using most men's watch faces it's a real serious problem

yeah I'm really disliking the current trend that the face of the watch needs to be as big as your face.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Volume posted:

yeah I'm really disliking the current trend that the face of the watch needs to be as big as your face.

gooooooooo viiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnntaaaaaaaaageeeeeeeeee

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I wear nice watches because I'm not pulling out my Obamaphone to check the time like a ghetto reprobate.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
expensive watches can also tell you at a glance if someone is a trashy retard you can safely ignore (hint: diamonds, gold bracelet, two-tone, anything made by hublot or panerai)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i couldnt justify getting a nice watch because my swinging ape-like arms mean i end up scuffing my watch on walls semi-frequently

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

XMNN posted:

i couldnt justify getting a nice watch because my swinging ape-like arms mean i end up scuffing my watch on walls semi-frequently

that just adds character

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

watches are stupid and for gays. well thats my opinion on watches thanks for skipping over thise post

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i didnt skip over it i read the entire thing

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
My dad has a rolex. It is very old, looks like all the other classic old watches. Itcost 500€ and is now worth 5 times that. Myself i have bought a watch for 2.99 at a discounter and it looks pretty much like all classic watches. Nobody would ever notice unless they are into watches. Ofc i don't wear it, i have a mobilphone. But if some turd is showing me their stupid watch and telling me how good it is i tell em i bought a watch for 2.99 at a discounter. That makes all the dudes fuckoff, well worth 2.99. I never had to pretend yet, i even enjoyed telling that stupid rolex dude i know for ages now (he has 3 real rolex watches costing 3x 200k+ with all diamonds on the display etc) that i own a 2.99 watch. I still do business with him.

What i am saying is, if you feel the need for a real good watch then you should get old used ones in top quality. They need a tiny bit of maintenance but increase in value and are totally affordable.

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 21, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

lmao if you think pulling out your smartphone is more convenient than moving your wrist

My phone is almost always in my bag or jacket when I'm at work, and it takes me exactly 1 second to look at my wrist and figure out what time it is on my beater Timex, and as someone said: if you look at your phone people assume you're just checking out your facebook or texts and you look like an rear end in a top hat.

Adults wear watches, you can get Seikos for less than $125 and modded Seikos that are homages to expensive brands for $200

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Bishop posted:

There's so many combos of bands and watch face colors, plus any really classy guy owns a few true automatics. gently caress Rolex give me a Patek or an iwc. My iwc Portuguese automatic is my most pro watch

I've only ever bought watches which cost at the most $100-$200 range (some pretty good watches), but I'm thinking of buying a fancy watch mainly so that if I get robbed while travelling, I can pawn it for a nice sum to get a few nights in a hotel/a few days living expenses and call money to friends/family to arrange bailing me out. (I'd unpawn it after money came through, obviously.)

I'll be looking I think in the $5,000-$10,000 range. Haven't started looking seriously yet. I'd thought 'gold Rolex', I have to say only because the great Hunter S. Thompson (R.I.P, {sigh}) wore one.

I'm curious as to why you say 'gently caress Rolex', Bishop, why, are they overpriced for what you get? And do they make excellent watches or not?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i have a watch but i dont wear it b/c i always forget to put it back on after a shower an then it just sits on my bedside table for a few weeks

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

BigBadSteve posted:

I'm curious as to why you say 'gently caress Rolex', Bishop, why, are they overpriced for what you get? And do they make excellent watches or not?

they're probably quality watches but IMO they're just butt ugly. hunter gets a pass b/c his thing was basically to look as ridiculous as possible

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

BigBadSteve posted:

Standard watches at a premium. I don't even think they have in-house-movements. Grande Seikos cost roughly the same cost, but in their case you get what you're paying for (50 jewels looks way better than you'd think it would over Rolex's 42).

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Dave Concepcion posted:

i have the subdials at 3 and 9 and I love it. I was eying a Portuguese for about 6 years before I sprang for one. The finish on it is so nice random people I talk with that aren't even into watches will comment on it and ask me to take it off so they can get a closer look at it

BigBadSteve posted:

they aren't bad watches. Their movements are generic but still good, it's just that you can get a lot more watch for the same price elsewhere. They also make some atrocious models. I don't even like the submariner.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 21, 2015

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

BigBadSteve posted:

I've only ever bought watches which cost at the most $100-$200 range (some pretty good watches), but I'm thinking of buying a fancy watch mainly so that if I get robbed while travelling, I can pawn it for a nice sum to get a few nights in a hotel/a few days living expenses and call money to friends/family to arrange bailing me out. (I'd unpawn it after money came through, obviously.)

I'll be looking I think in the $5,000-$10,000 range. Haven't started looking seriously yet. I'd thought 'gold Rolex', I have to say only because the great Hunter S. Thompson (R.I.P, {sigh}) wore one.

firstly Hunter S Thompson wore a GMT master II, if you want that in gold you'll have to pony up $30k, secondly that's a loving robbery beacon so it wouldn't exactly work as well in that scenario, thirdly gold watches are gaudy as all gently caress (exception for subtle dress watches on leather straps)

Professor Shark posted:

Standard watches at a premium. I don't even think they have in-house-movements. Grande Seikos cost roughly the same cost, but in their case you get what you're paying for (50 jewels looks way better than you'd think it would over Rolex's 42).

they have in house movements and they don't make display back models so you'll never see the difference between number of jewels (which in any case isn't what makes a movement beautiful)

I agree that GS is overall a much better deal, though

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

they're probably quality watches but IMO they're just butt ugly. hunter gets a pass b/c his thing was basically to look as ridiculous as possible

they make a lot of different models, a lot look like absolute poo poo, but how is it possible to call this ugly?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Bishop posted:

i have the subdials at 3 and 9 and I love it. I was eying a Portuguese for about 6 years before I sprang for one. The finish on it is so nice random people I talk with that aren't even into watches will comment on it and ask me to take it off so they can get a closer look at it

alright, that's one beautiful watch

black or brown leather?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
This is my wrist-pal I love it

For some reason I'm right handed but I wear it on my right wrist. Im also told I write like I'm left handed but in my right hand. Someone help

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Its interesting to see how the good posters wear watches whereas the poo poo loser posters don't. I don't currently own a watch but want one and I will get one asap so I can jump the posting ravine.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
I have the coolest watch

is your watch a marine chronometer? oh too bad, mine is, I'll just be over here astronavigating while you cry

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i have tiny hands that are only good for pumping mens buttholes

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Zzulu posted:

i have tiny hands that are only good for pumping mens buttholes

the giant watch thing is a dumb dying fad, the world of vintage awaits you with all kinds of awesome in smaller sizes

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I do. Have a few g shocks, a pulsar, a couple invictas, probably another one or two i am forgetting

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I wear a cheap Timex ironman because I tend to run into things a lot and beat up watches. The face is kinda screwed up from when I sprayed Off bug repellant on it.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Dave Concepcion posted:

the giant watch thing is a dumb dying fad, the world of vintage awaits you with all kinds of awesome in smaller sizes

Thank Ghod the giant watch fad is dying. When I bought a watch a year or two ago the rather large department store timepiece dept didn't have any decent-looking man's watch in the $100-$200 range with hands that wasn't ridiculously large. I bought the best of the bunch, but it was still so big the winder kept abrading against the back of my wrist when I was physically active, causing bleeding. This watch ended up getting stolen in the Philippines last month after I left it next to a hotel pool. I was glad of this (and it'll probably feed a developing world family for a month) since I managed to buy a less large and fairly decent watch there for a lower price:

I love the cage over the face, as I'm chronic at banging the watch glass against doorframes etc. while rushing past them, and yay, it's a small enough size to not cause me injury. Negatives: Not fully waterproof, glow-in-the-dark hands poorly designed with more phosphorescent paint on the second hand than on the hour hand, no 'light-up-the-dial' button like the stolen Timex had (it was great for use in cinemas when the movie was boring). You get what you pay for I guess, I think this one was around $100. Changed the sweaty plastic band for a woven black nylon one at the first opportunity, I can't wear metal either 'cause it slips when I sweat and I don't buy leather, being a vegetarian.

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!
lol @ people who wear watches

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
what a worthless diagram without mid level swiss

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

does that retard lump g-shock in with "modern quartz digital"

loving astronauts and poo poo wear g-shock

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

and rappers

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
it has the faggy smell of le reddit all over it

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dave Concepcion posted:

they make a lot of different models, a lot look like absolute poo poo, but how is it possible to call this ugly?

well that is a really basic but good looking watch. not the rolex ppl think when they think rolex, tho?

brotato
May 14, 2013
I used to be apprenticed under a watchmaker but I don't wear a watch. In theory it's nice to be able to know what time it is at a glance but in practice I'd rather claw out my own eyes than be noticed by and sucked into a conversation w one of those serious watch guys.

Like Christ no I dont wanna talk about your omega I'm at the fuckin grocery store on my day off, drat.

Quitting that job was good. Watch people are like the rich version of train autists.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sweet Tea posted:

why the gently caress would i wear a watch when i have a smartphone. lol

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

brotato posted:

I used to be apprenticed under a watchmaker but I don't wear a watch. In theory it's nice to be able to know what time it is at a glance but in practice I'd rather claw out my own eyes than be noticed by and sucked into a conversation w one of those serious watch guys.

Like Christ no I dont wanna talk about your omega I'm at the fuckin grocery store on my day off, drat.

Quitting that job was good. Watch people are like the rich version of train autists.

pot reciting train tables to kettle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I used to wear a watch but I took it off 'cuz it was a gift from a girl that I needed to get over (didn't work, it's been years and I'd still do anything to see her again).

My phone is a 10$ flip phone that I rarely have on my person so I don't usually get the time from that either.

There are many clocks on the wall at my job, and there's a clock display in my car. Those are the only places I really care what time it is, when I'm in literally any other place I don't much care what time it is beyond what I can tell from looking out the window.

• Locked thread