Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Code Jockey posted:

Kanji is so great. :allears:

Persona 3 was just overflowing with style. I don't know how better to express that - P3 is just insanely stylish. The music, the UI, the characters, all of it feels so unique and well done and coherent.

P4 is still good, and largely continues the trend, but it's just... different. But yeah, both games had ridiculous soundtracks, that are permanently stuck in my head.

I really should stop playing other things and just go finish P4...

Persona 5 looks even more stylish than 3 from what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh.

Code Jockey posted:

Persona 3 was just overflowing with style. I don't know how better to express that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RKF6gqCXiM

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 20, 2015

Bachus
May 31, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Mother Brain wasn't intending to kill humanity from the start, though. Her entire point was 'welp, humanity's hosed, at least I can save a ton of other planets from the same fate'.

I never believed Mother Brain about that. I always took it as a lame justification for annihilating humanity. Besides, I don't see how it even makes sense if true.

As for Robo, it's possible (probably likely) that humans were in that dome post Lavos. They either died afterward or were wiped out by robots. Could be Robo was one of those robots sent to kill them. Pure speculation, of course, but there's enough left unexplained surrounding Robo, Mother Brain, etc that there's a lot of room to work with.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

R-66Y :colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Silegna posted:

The plot of Chrono Trigger DOES bring up an interesting question. If you found out about a preventable apocalypse and had the means to stop it, would you?

only if I had a time machine

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe I'm jaded and cynical but I think a personal motivation is the only real type of motivation. It's why Magus was the best character. He was the only one with a legitimate (to me) reason to constantly pursue and fight Lavos.

I mean, Marle's character is also setup as someone who is craving to DO something in her life or to be something more than a figure head princess. I always felt like that was why she was so insistent that things had to be done to save the world, it was kind of important to her in figuring out who she was, but also kind of a romanticized "I get to do something important!". That said it's still a SNES RPG so it's not THAT deep or anything. Crono and Lucca are just kinda like "sure, we got nothin' else to do on a Sunday"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Isn't "this world we like will get loving ruined by a hedgehog" good motivation? It's kept Robotnik going.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Isn't there a But Thou Must dialogue option when you see the first video of Lavos where you can have Crono say no to saving the world?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

R66-Y :colbert:

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Prometheus :colbert:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Man, when I first heard this song I was like...what, then I was like this is an awesome fight track.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Pierzak posted:

On the one hand, you'd save mankind. On the other hand, you'd save mankind. Hard choice.

It's not so much a "should you do it" so much as "when should you do it."

If you kill off Lavos in the earliest time period possible you actually gently caress over humanity, in that you cause it to never exist. Lavos was manipulating evolution, and getting rid of that gives you an Earth filled with dinosaurs and apes.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Persona 5 looks even more stylish than 3 from what I've seen.

Those shop interfaces from the trailer were perhaps the coolest shop interfaces I've ever seen. Also the HP and SP stats that the characters gesture at when it's their turn were really good.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Jueg01 posted:

If you kill off Lavos in the earliest time period possible you actually gently caress over humanity, in that you cause it to never exist. Lavos was manipulating evolution, and getting rid of that gives you an Earth filled with dinosaurs and apes.
That sound different than what I remember. It would have to be "spoiling a decades old game" before he crashed into the planet. He caused the Ice Age and the Reptites knew it would kill them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Jueg01 posted:

That's not quite right. Lavos doesn't crash into the planet until after you have people at least as advanced as Ayla, who are clearly not "apes" despite what the Reptites call them. The first time you can even kill Lavos is in 12,000 BC, at which point people are already as advanced as in Zeal (which don't seem any different from "modern" humans. The whole "Lavos was manipulating evolution" thing never gets very well explained, and it's not at all clear how much impact, if any, he really had on the development of the planet's species.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never understood CT Humanity. I mean, they've been around for 65 million years? I used to think Ayla was that whole Missing Link thing since she seemed part-animal with the tail and running on all fours. But apparently the tail is fake so.... Then again, I don't know if humans evolved from animals with tails.

Point is, even if the entire human race got a reset button in 12,000 BC, they were around for millions of years.I don't think the writers understand time very well.

Also Chrono Cross does go into more detail on how Lavos manipulated evolution and all that.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

NikkolasKing posted:

I never understood CT Humanity. I mean, they've been around for 65 million years? I used to think Ayla was that whole Missing Link thing since she seemed part-animal with the tail and running on all fours. But apparently the tail is fake so.... Then again, I don't know if humans evolved from animals with tails.

The vast majority of mammals have tails, including non-ape primates, so almost certainly. Although I couldn't tell you how far back tails were lost.

quote:

Point is, even if the entire human race got a reset button in 12,000 BC, they were around for millions of years.I don't think the writers understand time very well.

Also Chrono Cross does go into more detail on how Lavos manipulated evolution and all that.

For a given definition of detail of course.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

We still have a vestigal tail remnant, actually. At the very end of your spine, opposite the pelvis, there's a big lump of bone that we assume used to be the base of a tail.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
On the other hand there's only like one black dude in Chrono Trigger, and the first humans certainly weren't white and blonde in actual history.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
chrono trigger is a cartoon
It has cartoon heros and cartoon cavement fighting cartoon dinosaur men in cartoon history periods, everything is colorful and somewhat silly but pretty. There's exceptions like the lavos evolution thing, Lucas's mom sideplot, etc, but they are kind of the exception imo.

If you're worried about evolution in a jrpg you're being kind of silly, more so with chrono trigger.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
I think it's largely that the little rat-things our ancestors actually were when The Scaly (Feathered?) Man was keeping them down wouldn't have made for the most relatable characters or party members (no offense to Freya from FF9). Though Frog is a frog and Robo is a robot, so what do I know?

But yeah, it's just sort of cartoon versions of all the different mythic "beats" of human history, like the KT Impact, lost Atlantis-esque civilizations, sword & sorcery Middle Ages, etc. They had the first one happen 65 million years ago because everyone knows that's when it happened, and put cavemen in it so they could hit the caveman beat.

I'm more just left wondering what was up with Nu.

Frogisis fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 21, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Frogisis posted:

I'm more just left wondering what was up with Nu.

All things begin and end with Nu. This is my belief, at least for now.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
I heard it all began when humanity's ancestors picked up a strange red rock. In time, love and hate were born. Only time will see how it all ends. Though I guess how it ends would be Nu, wouldn't it?

Nu is one of my favorite things in Chrono Trigger because he's so mysterious and apparently powerful but he's never explained, and that's fine because it's so peripheral to the rest of the story, but the fact that there are tons of them hanging around Zeal only makes me more curious. He adds so much to the atmosphere and mood of the game. During that campfire conversation scene, when I was a kid I thought maybe Nu was the "entity" they were referring to.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

V. Illych L. posted:

We still have a vestigal tail remnant, actually. At the very end of your spine, opposite the pelvis, there's a big lump of bone that we assume used to be the base of a tail.

That's where the progenitors mounted you to the fuel system actually :tinfoil:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Frogisis posted:

I heard it all began when humanity's ancestors picked up a strange red rock. In time, love and hate were born. Only time will see how it all ends. Though I guess how it ends would be Nu, wouldn't it?

Nu is one of my favorite things in Chrono Trigger because he's so mysterious and apparently powerful but he's never explained, and that's fine because it's so peripheral to the rest of the story, but the fact that there are tons of them hanging around Zeal only makes me more curious. He adds so much to the atmosphere and mood of the game. During that campfire conversation scene, when I was a kid I thought maybe Nu was the "entity" they were referring to.

In the future he becomes a beach bum, and is entirely worthless and uninteresting. :negative:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

V. Illych L. posted:

We still have the genes for tails and there are cases where a human infant is born with a small tail. They're very very rare, but they do happen.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Schwartzcough posted:

That's not quite right. Lavos doesn't crash into the planet until after you have people at least as advanced as Ayla, who are clearly not "apes" despite what the Reptites call them. The first time you can even kill Lavos is in 12,000 BC, at which point people are already as advanced as in Zeal (which don't seem any different from "modern" humans. The whole "Lavos was manipulating evolution" thing never gets very well explained, and it's not at all clear how much impact, if any, he really had on the development of the planet's species.

It's also dependent on which boss fights you have(n't) done. Apparently the ending I'm thinking of is the one where there are no humans but instead lizardmen, which occurs when you beat Lavos after fighting Magus but before Azala. I don't know what I was thinking when I said apes, though. In regards to Lavos, I believe they handwaved it as "he manipulates evolution so that he can absorb the best genetics and pass them on to his offspring."

I"m just playing it safe with the spoilers, but is it agreed that we need them for a decade-plus-old game?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

counterfeitsaint posted:

In the future he becomes a beach bum, and is entirely worthless and uninteresting. :negative:

Maybe that's a side effect of having Belthesar's brain uploaded into him. Guru just wanted to chill out

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jueg01 posted:

It's also dependent on which boss fights you have(n't) done. Apparently the ending I'm thinking of is the one where there are no humans but instead lizardmen, which occurs when you beat Lavos after fighting Magus but before Azala. I don't know what I was thinking when I said apes, though. In regards to Lavos, I believe they handwaved it as "he manipulates evolution so that he can absorb the best genetics and pass them on to his offspring."

I"m just playing it safe with the spoilers, but is it agreed that we need them for a decade-plus-old game?

That manipulating evolution thing was just made up by poor translation of CT - it's not in the original.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's in the DS version though. That's the one I played.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

It's in the DS version though. That's the one I played.

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Translation_Differences.html#Magus_Evolution_Statement

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Holy cow that image's aspect ratio looks way off.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

quote:

It's slept underground and kept on making the evolution of all life on this planet its own since ancient eras......?

So instead of explicitly saying lavos controlled evolution, it ambiguously says it. Cool! That's far from a debunking of any kind. And that's even taking the validity of one particular translation from Japanese over another.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
No, instead of saying Lavos guided the evolution of life on the planet, it says that Lavos watched the evolution of life on the planet, and used it to guide his own evolution.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well there's also the thing about Lavos apparently intentionally killing the Reptiles. Azala says something to that effect. It wanted humans.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Well there's also the thing about Lavos apparently intentionally killing the Reptiles. Azala says something to that effect. It wanted humans.
I think that was more that, Reptites being a technologically-advanced species, Azala understood that a collision with an object of that size would usher in a deep freeze ice age, which is obviously bad news for any animal with cold blood. Up to that point, Lavos was just hurtling through space and didn't give a gently caress.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

No, instead of saying Lavos guided the evolution of life on the planet, it says that Lavos watched the evolution of life on the planet, and used it to guide his own evolution.

I get that you want to read it that way, but that's just, like, your opinion, man. I'd go so far as to say that your reading doesn't even make a lot of sense compared to the reading where Lavos is controlling human evolution.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Prop Wash posted:

I get that you want to read it that way, but that's just, like, your opinion, man. I'd go so far as to say that your reading doesn't even make a lot of sense compared to the reading where Lavos is controlling human evolution.

I agree, it's likely that the traditional reading is correct. Especially if you look at the stories these guys have been telling since.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

George posted:

I agree, it's likely that the traditional reading is correct. Especially if you look at the stories these guys have been telling since.
Yeah, Deus from Xenogears also does this, even going as far as directly meddling with human development with proxies.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Prop Wash posted:

Here's the thing I have with that: aside from crashing into the planet and changing the environment, the closest thing Lavos has done to manipulation is with Zeal and Zeal alone. Any messing with genomes due to magic is something I attribute to the Zeal people doing it to themselves than Lavos forcing them to do so. IE 'sitting there being a crazy good source of energy' doesn't seem like a conscious actions to me. Especially when it's only conscious action tends to be 'rearrange the world with sub-orbital space laser-needle rain so I can go back to leeching until this planet cracks in two.'
Thus to me it always made sense that part of Lavos leeching energy from the planet also include leeching evolutionary things to fuel it's growth and to fortify it's spawn for when they go into space to crash into planets and start the process over again.

tld;r: Lavos isn't shown to be manipulating evolution so I don't believe he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Isn't Lavos responsible for magic in CT? Ayla doesn't have magic because she is pre-Lavos, while Robo does not because Robot. Zeal digging into Lavos was an attempt to tap into the source so to speak.

• Locked thread