Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have a 360 controller, but I wonder how the PC controls are for this since it isn't a super serious fighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eonwe posted:

ginyu force rules

My only issue is Ginyu still isn't giving me he's second quest and I'm like level 30 :argh:

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Hi. Decided to pick this up for some reason. Please add me to the nerd group, thanks http://steamcommunity.com/id/thegreencalx/

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

goonyu force is amazing and pleasing, but also strong.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

My only issue is Ginyu still isn't giving me he's second quest and I'm like level 30 :argh:

Sorry kid, gotta work on your posture if you want to learn some more poses.

Maybe The Great Saiyaman can give you some tips.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RickDaedalus posted:

Sorry kid, gotta work on your posture if you want to learn some more poses.

Maybe The Great Saiyaman can give you some tips.

Listen rear end in a top hat, no one in this game respect the art of dance fighting more than the noble Majin race.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think you have to actually use the moves they give you? Unless the level requirements are set really weirdly. I got my last skill from Krillen at 41 or thereabouts, rather than a nice round 40.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I've been a student of Cell for at least 20 levels now and he won't give me his 3rd quest. Although I noticed the little bar next to his name is about 3/4 full so maybe I'm about to fulfill whatever dumb requirement I'm supposed to be doing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I think you have to actually use the moves they give you? Unless the level requirements are set really weirdly. I got my last skill from Krillen at 41 or thereabouts, rather than a nice round 40.

I suppose I could be using his move more but I've been styling on basically everyone I fight pretty hard with sick Ginyu poses.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just got this game and I'm not sure why

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Listen rear end in a top hat, no one in this game respect the art of dance fighting more than the noble Majin race.

If you didn't eat so many sweets, maybe you'd be limber enough to pose like a champ, you walking gumball.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I had his Orin combo as a super from pretty much level 17 onwards and spammed the gently caress out of it in every fight.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just got this game and I'm not sure why

it's a good game. Take it from me, a guy who plays some video games sometimes and thinks most of them are dumb. This one is Good, as long as you've enjoyed dragonball z at some point in your life.

Karate Sluts
Nov 21, 2010

Welp, I just spent money on a Dragonball Z game.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972658936/

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bubba Smith posted:

I've been a student of Cell for at least 20 levels now and he won't give me his 3rd quest. Although I noticed the little bar next to his name is about 3/4 full so maybe I'm about to fulfill whatever dumb requirement I'm supposed to be doing.

Ooooh poo poo that Kame house symbol next to your mentor is a bar! It goes from grey to red! I literally just found this out. That makes sense.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KingsPawn posted:

So, do you think an arcade stick would work well with this game? I'm on the fence to get this game because I don't have a PC controller. I feel so silly coming back to DBZ after all these years. Reminds me of the time in high school when my friend told me he wanted to do weightlifting classes because he wanted to get ripped like Goku.

Don't arcade sticks usually only have a single stick and buttons?

This game requires twin sticks, so... yeah just get a controller dude. This isn't street fighter or blazblue or tekken. This is Dragonball loving Z. Even if your fight stick had 2 sticks, you need to be able to press L3 and R3 and poo poo that fighting games don't really use.

Its more about flying around and mashing buttons and less about specific combos. There's still lots of depth but its not that kind of fighter.

Get a cheap USB 360 controller already what are you doing?

Bubba Smith posted:

Its cool you can train under villains, but do they bother explaining why cell is helping you out, or do they just gloss over it or something?

For that matter, do they explain why a freiza-clan is traveling through time to save Goku and not trying to like, kill him? Its gotta look weird to see Freiza's brother save Goku and beat up on Freiza himself.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 26, 2015

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is there a Goonyu Force steam group yet

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Goku vs Freeza takes 8 episodes. 4 hours. If you start watching it now, Namek will explode just as the game unlocks.

so youre saying the game will unlock in 5 minutes

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Ooooh poo poo that Kame house symbol next to your mentor is a bar! It goes from grey to red! I literally just found this out. That makes sense.

Yep. There's so much stuff in this game that supposed to help you but none of it is explained. If they removed everything from Trunks in the game and instead had detailed tutorials in his place this game would have been the greatest game ever made

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
http://steamcommunity.com/id/athropos/

Fight me nerds!

Add me to the group

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its cool you can train under villains, but do they bother explaining why cell is helping you out, or do they just gloss over it or something?

Nope, don't think so. I think Cell is just bored after you beat him and would like to prove how "perfect" he is. He isn't necessarily helping you out cause he could give a gently caress about Time Patrollin' (which is the correct belief to have), he just wants to show off and if you beat him he teaches you his skills.

I could totally be wrong because I skip half the dialogue in this game and you will too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Vegeta is all "I AM THE PRINCE OF SAIYANS but I guess you're pretty cool I'll train you if you don't piss me off" and I think I saw Freiza being all "Ya hosed me up, kid, good job, here's my beams" in a video so I think everyone does have their own rationale they just casually toss out.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is kinda conjecture, but seemingly a way to boost your relation(and thus get moves/quests) with your mentor is to fight alongside them in battles. Vegeta wouldn't give me poo poo for the longest time and then I did some offline battles using him as one of my partners and then he finally opened up and finished the questline.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bubba Smith posted:

Nope, don't think so. I think Cell is just bored after you beat him and would like to prove how "perfect" he is. He isn't necessarily helping you out cause he could give a gently caress about Time Patrollin' (which is the correct belief to have), he just wants to show off and if you beat him he teaches you his skills.

I could totally be wrong because I skip half the dialogue in this game and you will too.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Vegeta is all "I AM THE PRINCE OF SAIYANS but I guess you're pretty cool I'll train you if you don't piss me off" and I think I saw Freiza being all "Ya hosed me up, kid, good job, here's my beams" in a video so I think everyone does have their own rationale they just casually toss out.

Well considering after they get beat all the villains are just kinda chilling in HELL re-thinking their lives, that isn't too hard to understand.

Still its weird to train under Freiza while going back in time to beat up on Freiza. :stare: Uh... sorry master?

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
How much longer?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Canadian posted:

This is kinda conjecture, but seemingly a way to boost your relation(and thus get moves/quests) with your mentor is to fight alongside them in battles. Vegeta wouldn't give me poo poo for the longest time and then I did some offline battles using him as one of my partners and then he finally opened up and finished the questline.

No I think you're right, I've been farming PQs for dragonballs and started bringing Ginyu along and it looks like the bar is filling up pretty fast now, I'm spamming Milky Cannon as much as possible and he's cheering me on.

It's honestly kinda cool, like yea as a mechanic I wish it was explained, but it does kinda add to the 'mentoring experience' to have your boss being all 'yea shoot those fuckers, good work'.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The villains do have rationale. Ginyu is accepting applications for a new Ginyu Force member, Freeza wants you as part of his army, and Cell is using it as a game to pass the time.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Athropos posted:

How much longer?

Steam says 2 hours.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Firstborn posted:

Steam says 2 hours.

It rounds up, so probably at 6 EST

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Evil Canadian posted:

If I had to take a guess it's because they designed it so you're not just supposed to use your mentor's moves, but you have to use them in specific scenarios. So if you fight with your mentor in battle it multiplies the possibilities that you'll meet the conditions.

Also Vegeta's mastery battle owns loving bones. That may have been my favorite fight in the game so far. The single player story/boss battles should have been more like that instead of half the weirdo stuff they do.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RE: Dragonball farming. PQ 12 (should be the first ginyu force attacks earth one) right infront of you at the starting area is sometimes a random cpu guy. Check the scouter to be certain there'll be a silhouette of a dude over in the near distance.

If not, retry the mission until they are there.

Talk to them and fight them, after the fight you should see you get material and then a second pop up. If the second one says material, retry the mission and do it over.

If the second pop up says key item, that's a dragonball, now go ahead and finish the mission. I picked up 3 in ~30 minutes.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 26, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I think I've caught up on group invites. Let me know on steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/testekill/) if I've missed out on you.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Please add me to the Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/id/contestwinner

If not I will start comparing people to Yajirobe in this thread

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Since Team Four Star basically stole my idea for a character (thanks guys) I have to fall back on doing a freeza dude or Plan Omega

which is where I make my dragonball pen and paper rpg character

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There's a dragonball tabletop game???

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Looking forward to using my anime mans to blast other anime mans

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

RE: Dragonball farming. PQ 12 (should be the first ginyu force attacks earth one) right infront of you at the starting area is sometimes a random cpu guy. Check the scouter to be certain there'll be a silhouette of a dude over in the near distance.

If not, retry the mission until they are there.

Talk to them and fight them, after the fight you should see you get material and then a second pop up. If the second one says material, retry the mission and do it over.

If the second pop up says key item, that's a dragonball, now go ahead and finish the mission. I picked up 3 in ~30 minutes.

Even faster, the Prepare for the Sayan Attack one has one too (any mission where an NPC time patrol pops works) and since it's one star you just smash through the scrubs. You can really easily just reset the mission when you don't get a ball (it'll say Key Item received instead of 2 Material Item messages)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

jivjov posted:

yes

it's also unplayably bad

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/lynx-winters/dragonball-z-the-anime-adventure-game/

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

jivjov posted:

Yeah. The one I played had really contrived and totally crunchy ways to determine power level that completely fell apart after you were out of Saiyan Saga levels. So just like the show. :v:

It's really weird to construct a dungeon or any sort of adventure where the players can just go "I teleport on the other side of the planet", or "I just fly over it", that sort of thing. I think there's probably similar difficulties in super hero pencil & papers, but not nearly as bad. It'd be like if everyone played Superman, I guess. You also get to experience Toriyama-like thrills where enemies at the level/stronger than the party show up with no way to explain how you didn't sense them or something before. It's a goddamn mess.

You may want to learn towards a kind of organized setting (like a tourney) for fights so that your threat isn't just instantly dealt with when the entire party murders him, but that just means the rest of your friends are just watching as you roll an obscene amount of dice and explain how this punch is totally different than the last one.

I remember the character sheet being a half sheet of paper, kind of like when you ask for a job application at a mall and it's the most basic information.

One thing I remember that is cool is looking a what is essentially their list of techniques and reading all the weird things about them, like how it feels to be hit with a Kamehameha.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Even faster, the Prepare for the Sayan Attack one has one too (any mission where an NPC time patrol pops works) and since it's one star you just smash through the scrubs. You can really easily just reset the mission when you don't get a ball (it'll say Key Item received instead of 2 Material Item messages)

Where does it show up in that mission?

• Locked thread