Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Dutymode posted:

I'm thinking about selling the SV and getting a TW200

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/4902627122.html

Is this the best or worst idea ever?

I dunno, I'm considering getting one (lol $) in addition to my SV down the line. It's like the perfect duallie for me. If I could only loving find one from the 90s in the area :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

slidebite posted:

A buddy at work is looking to get back into bikes and is seriously looking at a kawi 1600 Vulcan Nomad a guy has locally. I know little about these metric cruisers.

Thoughts about them?

I originally started riding cruisers with a Honda VT1100, I found that it was a lot less reliable than I expected. I know that is anecdotal and I don't know anything about the Kawi, but I still had small reliability issues with my first Honda. Ultimately, I switched to Harley because it's a loving Harley Davidson what more do you need to know? there was very little aftermarket for the VT1100 at the time. I wanted new exhaust, I had three pipes to choose from. I wanted saddlebags, I could only get generic one size fits all that rubbed the suspension. I wanted to add a passenger seat backrest, it could not be done. I wanted to add a tachometer or a fuel gauge, both were impossible. So long as I am willing to open my wallet and pay the HD tax I can literally customize every last bolt on the Harley.

But if he wants to always keep his bike stock, the Kawi is probably a great bike. I will agree with Dutymode that at 700lbs it would be a big bike for someone new to riding. That said, I have met people who just skipped straight to Goldwings/Ultra Classics and it worked out for them, I cant say it's a smart decision. When I ride my Dad's Ultra Classic I can control the weight but it is still obvious that is a heavy, unforgiving bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Cycle Asylum: where everybody is new to riding.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

A buddy at work is looking to get back into bikes and is seriously looking at a kawi 1600 Vulcan Nomad a guy has locally. I know little about these metric cruisers.

Thoughts about them?

My coworker has one of these. I'm counting the days until he has to layerdan and I can buy it for pennies off him. Because he's kind of an idiot.

Minus the guy riding it, it's a pretty solid bike. I looked at a couple before I bought my VTX1300, more because the price was too good to pass up on the VTX. Like Dutymode said, it's going to be heavy but since it's not their first bike, as long as they take it easy the first couple weeks/months on it to get a feel for it, I think they should be fine. I've only had shaft drive bikes besides my first Shadow 600 and haven't had any problems with them, but ymmv. How much is the asking price for the bike, and where is your coworker located?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

He hasn't ridden for, if I had to guess, 20+ years and will actually have to re-qualify for his license as he said he no longer has his bike class. He is planing on taking an MSF too and decided that on his own.

I've cautioned him about the weight but he's a big boy and if he wants his re-exposure to be a big heavy cruiser it's his problem if/when he dumps it. I'm less willing to give him a hard time just because it is a cruiser and not missile and if he isn't an rear end he'll probably be fine.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like the bike has fairly high miles, so as long as it's maintained and he can get it for a good deal (P.O. going to a Harley :haw:) it's probably reasonable. I'll likely take a look at it with him.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I'm looking for a second bike to complement my shiny FZ6. The FZ6 is nice and all but it won't go off road. And during the winter months it's usually to salty and muddy to take the nice bike out, so I want something fun that I won't mind getting dirty. I would probably use it 90% street commuting, but in the worst possible street conditions (wet, cold, mud, salt).

So what about a KLR 250? I found a -91 in good condition with low KMs that seems to fit the profile. It probably needs new tires and maybe a good carb cleaning from hardly moving in 24 years, but other than that it seems to fit the profile. It's cheap, light and offroad capable. From reading the KLR 250 thread on advrider they seem to be great little bikes.

650 dual sport are a lot more common here but the weight and size puts me off from off-roading and tight city traffic (we lane split here).

Some dude riding on the street https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EOt5H0DhZU&t=308s
Some other dude riding trails https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1ZKtOi46Ls&t=262s
Crazy dude riding a MX track (probably modded bike though) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_sKwGFT6rc&t=35s

Sounds like a good idea?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've been on a huge duallie kick lately for the same reason you are, so I might be a bit biased buuuut: gently caress yea!

Dirt bikes/duallies are so loving expensive here though :smith:

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
I skipped the R6 and got a GSXR 750 instead.

Also I've ridden those lil 200's and you'll get bored of them pretty fast. Even by dirtbike standards they're pretty doggish.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

I've been on a huge duallie kick lately for the same reason you are, so I might be a bit biased buuuut: gently caress yea!

Dirt bikes/duallies are so loving expensive here though :smith:

Same for the Seattle area. 30 year old dual sport with 40,000 miles that hasn't been started in 10 years? $2500... actually make that $3500 :(.

Edit: It's so bad that a local dealer is currently running a deal for a brand new 2014 DRZ-400 SM for $6400 + 60 month 0% APR from Suzuki. However, if you look in their pre-owned inventory they have another 2014 DRZ-400 SM with only 800 miles ridden on it, the price? $6600 :psyduck:

HappyHelmet fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 27, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HappyHelmet posted:

Same for the Seattle area. 30 year old dual sport with 40,000 miles that hasn't been started in 10 years? $2500... actually make that $3500 :(.

Yep! My master plan is to bring my 40 year old dualsport down to Ballard for Backfire and sell it for 3x what I'm into it for. It only has 3600 miles though.

Want to buy it?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 27, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks amazing and frightening to ride.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't know what it is about running an ancient 2 smoke enduro on the street but it's like a switch flips in my brain, suddenly the bike turns red, and I am wheelieing it across pedestrian bridges. It's the damnedest thing.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

Yep! My master plan is to bring my 40 year old dualsport down to Ballard for Backfire and sell it for 3x what I'm into it for. It only has 3600 miles though.

Want to buy it?

It's tempting! I need something a bit more suited to running up and down I-5 though :(.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's not this. It gets up to 40mph pretty good but then the feeble drum brakes require faith in God to not kill you.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
It reminds me of my old KTR

It did have a front disk, but it was such a heavy son-of-a-bitch that stopping was almost an art sometimes. Probably the only motorcycle I've ridden best described as "rides like a truck."

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
How is my DT less rusty than that? I think it spent at least a decade outside in Wenatchee.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
It was an '03 I believe too, so a lot younger haha. I'd say the cheap Taiwanese construction is probably mostly to blame, but I rode that thing almost daily through all the weather Taiwan could throw at it as well. Also all the concrete dust floating around everywhere probably didn't help much either. I try not to think about what inhaling all that poo poo did to my lungs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HappyHelmet posted:

It's tempting! I need something a bit more suited to running up and down I-5 though :(.

About 70 bhp do you?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He said he wants to go up and down I-5. That implies more than one trip before breakdown.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

He said he wants to go up and down I-5. That implies more than one trip before breakdown.

Service intervals on the XVs are measured in hours, not miles, so just go as fast as possible at all times.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

About 70 bhp do you?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Change Pistons every 9k km? :wtc:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I wonder if anyone's ever ridden them far enough to get to that service.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

yeah but the KTM's not road legal. Also those service intervals are particularly brutal considering the RS250 had 4k km service intervals (and 12k piston replacements) for the same amount of power out of less than half the ccs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

yeah but the KTM's not road legal. Also those service intervals are particularly brutal considering the RS250 had 4k km service intervals (and 12k piston replacements) for the same amount of power out of less than half the ccs.

Yeah cause the RS250 cheated by having a suzuki engine.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

yeah but the KTM's not road legal

...? Because it's so fun it's criminal?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also, 550cc twin with 70hp is actually a more relaxed specific output than a 1000cc rotax with 140hp, made by the same company at the same bloody time, so I don't really understand why it wears out so fast.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Doesn't it weigh something silly like 250lbs?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marxalot posted:

Doesn't it weigh something silly like 250lbs?

Yeah, it's super light. Cylinders are part of the bottom end.

I have a buddy who had about 6k on one. An SXV chassis with a ninja 650 engine swapped in is about the ideal supermoto, imo.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n posted:

An SXV chassis with a ninja 650 engine swapped in is about the ideal supermoto, imo.

How hard would that be to do, out of curiosity? I don't know much about engine swaps.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That is a pretty horrible engine choice though. SV650, NT650? Come on, something else.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That is a pretty horrible engine choice though. SV650, NT650? Come on, something else.

Chevy small block? :downsrim:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

How hard would that be to do, out of curiosity? I don't know much about engine swaps.

It'd take welding in new engine mounts to the frame, custom wiring, figuring out how to handle the fuel pump, custom exhaust, and all the assorted tuning to go along with it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You ever seen an SXV frame? No way anything but a custom built tiny v-twin or a p-twin is going to fit. It's tiny.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I never really looked at the engine, but Ninja 650 bikes do not look that small at all. NT650 on the other hand really is small.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Why not just put a 690 engine in a SXV frame then?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

You'd need to find a 690 donor bike first, I hear the waiting list is around ten years nowadays.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Cylinder head won't fit between the frame spars. If you search YouTube for SXV er6i engine swap you can see how narrow the frame is and how the Ninja engine basically sits below the frame. You might be able to make thw 690 engine fit, but you'd only lose a few pounds of weight and you'd lose significant freeway usability. Plus you have to drop the engine to do maintenance with a swap like that, so the 15k valve checks on the 650 engine are nice.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
This just popped up nearby, a 92 Seca II.

http://boone.craigslist.org/mcy/4914657269.html

I've dismissed them in the past because getting a 600cc inline 4 before I know what the hell I'm doing sounds like a bad idea, but after looking around a bit, apparently they aren't as high-strung as other sport bikes? My riding experience is pretty much nonexistent, maybe a few minutes on my brother's heavy-rear end vulcan nomad.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Get it if you like it, the 600cc I4 = death trend only started happening in the 2000's. Old 600 fours are pretty tame, especially that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I have a dumb question; how are you supposed to transport a bike you've bought back to your home? (UK)

Say I bought a bike private rather than a dealer, you can't ride it back home unless you have it insured and taxed right? Are you supposed to pack it up in a van? Rely on the goodness of the seller to drive it to your house?

I'm tried/bored of my scooter and want to move to a 125 geared bike until the day I have the dosh to do my licence and afford a larger bike, and the two bikes I've had were delivered from the dealer by a van giving me time to do the paperwork etc.