Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Cops should just use airsoft guns and maybe tranquilizer darts in extreme cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

you might as well wish upon a star that every military recruit is an idealogue/historian who finds nationalism distasteful but just sort of signs up anyway

nowadays they're mostly worthless fucks who cant find other work so

BossRighteous posted:

Cops should just use airsoft guns and maybe tranquilizer darts in extreme cases.

gently caress you this aint canada

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

good luck with that

you might as well wish upon a star that every military recruit is an idealogue/historian who finds nationalism distasteful but just sort of signs up anyway

that's why you gotta start killing the bad ones

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Blue Train posted:

dunno what's so complicated about this

if you cant be a violent petty abuser of your power then whats the point of becoming a cop in the first place

theyre not even legally required to protect or serve the communities they police, so it comes down to coercing them

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

nutranurse posted:

i think it'd be more likely that homeless people dont matter than a race thing. homeless people get beat up on by cops all the time and there's not much uproar b/c gently caress poor people

And this is why all my Portland friends are scumbag hypocrites.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

huskarl_marx posted:

same reason there shouldnt be robot stock traders, an overnight rounding error results in billions lost (money, lives)

maybe if we put a human finely tuned to justice in a robot body...

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

And this is why all my Portland friends are scumbag hypocrites.

portland, like austin, is filled with yuppie white liberals who are more concerned with looking like theyre doing the right thing than doing the right thing, yeah

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I love the way a police officer's bicep stretches out the material of his shirt

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

nutranurse posted:

once i was detained and taken to the police station b/c i matched the description for the guy they were looking for

the description in question? black male between 5"7 and 6"3 with dreadlocks

i was in dc

You picked the wrong day to be black, son.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nutranurse posted:

if you cant be a violent petty abuser of your power then whats the point of becoming a cop in the first place

theyre not even legally required to protect or serve the communities they police, so it comes down to coercing them

that's true but hey a guy can dream

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
the wrong day to be black was any day after the concept of whiteness was developed

greg sexyvibes
May 7, 2007
IF I EVER FIRST POST AGAIN SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN TO ME
I love how there's no way in hell in some people's minds that this guy grabbed a gun after spinning around like a loving Dynamo and fighting a bunch of police. The gently caress would any of you do?

I have never been hassled by police. Any tickets I've received, I've deserved. I once got pulled over on foot for jogging in a high crime area at 2 am. Nobody started beating the poo poo out of me. Nobody pinned a local murder on me. They talked to me for a couple of minutes, ran a wants and warrants check on me, and let me be on my way. Being black in America doesn't make me a target in the least. Keep in mind, I don't live in LA or the Deep South, I'm willing to believe things are different in different parts of the country.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
hey greg nobody cares about your white anecdotes

e: oh greg maintains he's black, black anecdotes hold just as much water as white ones to me

huskarl_marx fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 2, 2015

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

DaveSplitter posted:

You picked the wrong day to be black, son.

i mean, DC is called Chocolate City colloquially. sure that wont be the case in like a decade thanks to gentrification (i mean ffs theyre trying to gentrify anacostia, good luck with that) but, like, im sure there were hundreds of dudes they could've pulled off the street that fit that broad description

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

greg sexyvibes posted:

ran a wants and warrants check on me

What a great society we live in.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

good luck with that

I believe that there are cops, probably even most of them, who genuinely want to do good, but it's the brutal, unscrupulous apes who grab power and get their way. With a short enough leash, the bastard cops could absolutely be kept in line, although it's obviously too late to expect anything like that at this point.

Basically, if cops want to beat people down, there's no reason that they shouldn't be beaten down twice as hard until they break or quit. There's no hope for it in the foreseeable future, but I wish that we had an institutional culture like that.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

yeah because they dont do that for everybody they stop its obviously a black thing :jerkbag:

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Some of the cops were wearing body cameras. I wonder how many years before those videos get released to the public.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
good cops who stay quiet arent good cops and good cops who dont get serpico'd

citizens reform of american policing now!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

I bet I can find five Black guys in my office who have never once had a negative interaction with the police.

You got binders full of n*****s?

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

In the video it almost looks like that cop is shooting someone to death

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Please explain to me again why I need to empathize and give the benefit of the doubt to someone who chose to take a position of power and authority with the ability to legally use lethal force and not say, the unarmed guy he shot dead while others held him down.

The thing that really gets to me is people who think its not OK for people in the position of a police office to actually have more accountability. You're god drat right every single time a cop is involved in an incident where he ends up killing someone that poo poo should be treated as guilty before proven innocent for the cop. Especially if that person was unarmed. Their position of power means they should have more consequences for making mistakes when it results in someone being harmed or killed, not less. If you don't think thats fair then don't become a cop or take a job where peoples lives are in your hands like that.

Hey I agree, man (except with the "guilty until innocent" thing).
IMO, police shouldn't even be allowed to carry lethal weapons on patrol (only if called in for special cases), and should spend as much if not more of their time making positive contributions to the local community (as opposed to merely punitive ones).
But I still appreciate the good work that most police do in keeping us safe.
Yes, it sucks and is bad when a cop kills an innocent, but such incidents are the exception, not the rule.
Criminals hurt the innocent almost exclusively (when they're not hurting each other) and I definitely know who I'd turn to first in a time of need.

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You got binders full of n*****s?

hahahahahaha "i got a whole binder full of negros i paid to tell liberal faggots i aint bigoted"

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

Yes, it sucks and is bad when a cop kills an innocent, but such incidents are the exception, not the rule.

hmmm not sure about this one

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

blackpeopleloveworkingfor.us

greg sexyvibes
May 7, 2007
IF I EVER FIRST POST AGAIN SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN TO ME

Having the ability to make sure your random traffic stop isn't a wanted killer or fleeing rapist is a good thing.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

I bet I can find five Black guys in my office who have never once had a negative interaction with the police.

Your cherrypicking examples only help you to feel smug, they dont actually relate to the issue at hand: mentally ill need treatment and often don't realize they are starting a "ruckus" until they get beat dead. The issue is people who are too mentally i to do the thinga you suggest will keep all people out of trouble with the law.

Applying your own personal experience to every other person is a horribly immature and narrow way to go through life.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

Your cherrypicking examples only help you to feel smug, they dont actually relate to the issue at hand: mentally ill need treatment and often don't realize they are starting a "ruckus" until they get beat dead. The issue is people who are too mentally i to do the thinga you suggest will keep all people out of trouble with the law.

Applying your own personal experience to every other person is a horribly immature and narrow way to go through life.

If you are so mentally ill that you can't stop yourself from being violent you belong in a secure facility anyway.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Applewhite posted:

If you are so mentally ill that you can't stop yourself from being violent you belong in a secure facility anyway.

which is why you don't want too many black people around

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Applewhite posted:

Yeah, let's put the mentally ill in a prison. What could possibly go wrong?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

greg sexyvibes posted:

Having the ability to make sure your random traffic stop isn't a wanted killer or fleeing rapist is a good thing.

And that's why every black guy gets pulled over. Got it. :thumbsup:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

Agreed but about cops

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hobohemian posted:

Yeah, let's put the mentally ill in a prison. What could possibly go wrong?

Well nominally they would go in a special prison for the mentally ill.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am shocked and appalled, but not really.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
hey waiter there's a d&d in my gibbis

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Applewhite posted:

Hey I agree, man (except with the "guilty until innocent" thing).
IMO, police shouldn't even be allowed to carry lethal weapons on patrol (only if called in for special cases), and should spend as much if not more of their time making positive contributions to the local community (as opposed to merely punitive ones).
But I still appreciate the good work that most police do in keeping us safe.
Criminals hurt the innocent almost exclusively (when they're not hurting each other) and I definitely know who I'd turn to first in a time of need.

Most school's have the policy of "guilty until proven innocent", why can't our cops?

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Flurg, floft. Pentletoots. Drent, coalckest Trendymeter.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Agreed but about cops

Who would put them there? Paradox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
okay but when a british police officer takes down a dangerous patient, there's no chance that the patient will grab for a gun necessitating deadly force

• Locked thread