Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Its fringe playable by itself, but it wouldn't go in a deck that doesn't already have Stormbreath Dragon in it.

Whether this is actually better than Ashcloud Pheonix or not depends on what your average value is from Ashcloud. Most of the time for me I'd say Ashcloud dies, then never flips.

So you got a 4/1 flier that leaves behind a 2/2 token when it dies.

That's pretty good value for a red 4 drop.

E:

Symphonie posted:

now argue about this one

Sick sideboard removal, I don't think it hits enough to slam it into the main though.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Symphonie posted:

now argue about this one

As good, but probably not better than existing sideboard options.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Symphonie posted:

now argue about this one

i think art is pretty

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Symphonie posted:

now argue about this one
What are you killing with this that Valorous Stance doesn't hit?

I guess Mantis Rider, Rakshasa Deathdealer, and Fleecemane Lion.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 3, 2015

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Entropic posted:

Jeskai Ascendancy and Sidisi, Fleecemane/Deathdealer

Symphonie fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 3, 2015

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Entropic posted:

judge's familiar

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

uggy posted:

judge's familiar

That's a lie, let me just tap out

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Gods too, but no one's playing any of the multicolor ones except the odd Pharika here and there.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Highspire Mantis, also

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Gods too, but no one's playing any of the multicolor ones except the odd Pharika here and there.

Keranos is in a couple Jeskai Control lists, isn't he?

I know I run him in my Temur Midrange list in the sideboard for when I want to play Control

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

Yeah, probably a meta call as to whether you sideboard that, based on how much Abzan/Jeskai Aggro you see.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Entropic posted:

I guess Mantis Rider, Rakshasa Deathdealer, and Fleecemane Lion.

It's also more reliable than Stance because of (opposing) Stances.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Is anyone else... unexcited about the flavour of this set? Not necessarily about Neckbeard the Dragonspeaker searching for his waifu that he met the one time, but about the set as a whole. Since the conclusion of the story-arc concerning Ugin already happened, what story is there left to tell? We're just going to see dumb dragons and the idiots serving the dumb dragons; there's no conflict left to keep me interested especially considering we can assume that the status quo has been upheld for 1200 years.

I realize that I shouldn't be expecting compelling drama from my children's cardgame, but I'm feeling a lack of it considering any narrative the block had has already been told.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

So you got a 4/1 flier that leaves behind a 2/2 token when it dies.

That's pretty good value for a red 4 drop.

The question is whether that's better than a 4/4 that bolts someone when it dies. By itself I'd say no, but combined?

As for the new card, I feel like for a rare it should be"exile target multicolored permanent."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I kind of like how all the removal in Standard these days is pretty efficient, but pretty specific, so you really have to make a meta call on what combination of Hero's Downfalls, Bile Blights, Lightning Strikes, Valorous Stances, Banishing Lights, Suspension Fields, Murderous Cuts, etc. you run with.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

STiL. posted:

Is anyone else... unexcited about the flavour of this set? Not necessarily about Neckbeard the Dragonspeaker searching for his waifu that he met the one time, but about the set as a whole. Since the conclusion of the story-arc concerning Ugin already happened, what story is there left to tell? We're just going to see dumb dragons and the idiots serving the dumb dragons; there's no conflict left to keep me interested especially considering we can assume that the status quo has been upheld for 1200 years.

I realize that I shouldn't be expecting compelling drama from my children's cardgame, but I'm feeling a lack of it considering any narrative the block had has already been told.

The conflict is supposed to be that Sarkhan's created new problems that he now has to fix with Ugin's help. On the other hand we also only have this set to wrap that all up.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

I kind of like how all the removal in Standard these days is pretty efficient, but pretty specific, so you really have to make a meta call on what combination of Hero's Downfalls, Bile Blights, Lightning Strikes, Valorous Stances, Banishing Lights, Murderous Cuts, etc. you run with.

Hero's Downfall is the most generic removal spell I can think of that isn't Vindicate.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

STiL. posted:

Personally I'm hoping for/expecting some sort of revolution.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

STiL. posted:

Don't worry there will be more flavor articles to advance Sarkhan's big dragon adventure.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm gonna laugh when Planeswalker Narset turns out to be Grixis and super evil as gently caress.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm disappointed as poo poo that the second planeswalker's looking like a new Sarkhan.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Hero's Downfall is the most generic removal spell I can think of that isn't Vindicate.

It's not as efficient as some of the others though. There's a reason some decks run Murderous Cut instead. They're trading the ability to straight up murder a planeswalker for the ability to kill a creature for 1 or 2 mana less. Not to mention the BB in the cost if you're a Mardu deck or something. It's not a no-brainer to shove four Hero's Downfall in any black deck.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 3, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm gonna laugh when Planeswalker Narset turns out to be Grixis and super evil as gently caress.
I think she's going to be an anti-draconian heretic and hate Sarkhan, but it would be sort of nice if Sarkhan got a happy ending to this chapter of his life before boarding the SS gently caress Bolas with Ugin.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm disappointed as poo poo that the second planeswalker's looking like a new Sarkhan.

I was hoping for a new Bolas, but they would have been hyping his part in the story way more by this point if that was the case.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
It is a second Ugin.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

its ugin fighting bolas as a planeswalker card

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Symphonie posted:

now argue about this one

I'm intrigued that they were this concerned with avoiding the relatively rare cases of this being able to move multicolored artifacts or multicolored planeswalkers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Symphonie posted:

now argue about this one

Really like the art even if this is just basically sideboard padding.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

They're setting up a three way fight between Ugin and fifty billion dragons vs. Bolas and his Eldrazi pals vs. Elesh Norn and the entire plane of Mirrodin; they all happen to be invading Dominaria at the exact same time. Also there's time-travel involved and they show up during the Brother's War.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Did Renounce the Guilds even see play the first time around? Because I can't see Renounce the Guilds 2: Dragon Boogaloo being much better.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

STiL. posted:

They're setting up a three way fight between Ugin and fifty billion dragons vs. Bolas and his Eldrazi pals vs. Elesh Norn and the entire plane of Mirrodin; they all happen to be invading Dominaria at the exact same time. Also there's time-travel involved and they show up during the Brother's War.

There also may or may not be a ridiculous Mary-Sue sliver princess that has an inexplicably rocking set of titties.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

JerryLee posted:

I'm intrigued that they were this concerned with avoiding the relatively rare cases of this being able to move multicolored artifacts or multicolored planeswalkers.

It does suggest that a multicoloured planeswalker is going to turn up.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mikujin posted:

Did Renounce the Guilds even see play the first time around? Because I can't see Renounce the Guilds 2: Dragon Boogaloo being much better.

Not really. But that one was symmetric.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Symphonie posted:

now argue about this one

..... my chromanticore deck .....

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

I was told by others that its because White is not allowed to remove Planeswalkers. Despite the fact that Banishing Light totally lets you do that.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Elyv posted:

Personally I'm hoping for/expecting some sort of revolution.
I know, right? Who wants to work for an overgrown lizard, anyway? And it seems like Wizards is going out of its way to completely poo poo all over the clans, with the khans being scrubs now and the clan names being dragon names instead. We got exactly one and a half sets of coolness, and now it's solidly over and no one better dare try to bring it back.

I just want Jeskai and Abzan back, they were so cool.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Meatbag Esq. posted:

..... my chromanticore deck .....

If it's any consolation you can't kill what never lived

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Symphonie posted:

now argue about this one

This card's about as good as the multicolored counterspell.

Will never be played in Standard or even Limited maindecks.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mikujin posted:

Renounce the Guilds was a super fringe sideboard card in U/W control when Obzedat was at peak popularity because U/W Control had literally zero answers to that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Veyrall posted:

I know, right? Who wants to work for an overgrown lizard, anyway? And it seems like Wizards is going out of its way to completely poo poo all over the clans, with the khans being scrubs now and the clan names being dragon names instead. We got exactly one and a half sets of coolness, and now it's solidly over and no one better dare try to bring it back.

I just want Jeskai and Abzan back, they were so cool.

I guess it'd be like if the first Ravnica block introduced the guilds but then by the third set they removed all the guilds and now there are only five monocolored factions that are only kinda related to the guilds. Also two Jaces in the same block.

• Locked thread