Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

It'll be okay. :unsmith:

I want to frame this post for posterity three weeks from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Orv posted:

I want to frame this post for posterity three weeks from now.

Oh don't worry, if there's anything wrong with this game at all, we're going to tear it to shreds and post all the quotes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As someone whose interest in city sims like this rather than production stuff like Anno/Stronghold etc has always been pretty casual, you people are loving crazy about this stuff. It's scary.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

mackintosh posted:

Oh don't worry, if there's anything wrong with this game at all, we're going to tear it to shreds and post all the quotes.

That's what I'm waiting for. Not a penny spent until I'm sure it's worth it.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Orv posted:

As someone whose interest in city sims like this rather than production stuff like Anno/Stronghold etc has always been pretty casual, you people are loving crazy about this stuff. It's scary.

God forbid people used hyperbole in a comedy forum.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Orv posted:

Would you like to see the sculpture of Will Wright I made out of used gum? All I need is a lock of his hair and a sample of his blood and it shall be complete.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Orv posted:

Yeah lots of shameful nerds on a videogame forum, go figure.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just mean in the sense that when I played SC4 I didn't clue in to half of the more granular stuff and just built barely functional cities, that sort of thing.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

JonBolds posted:

All correct. For some loving reason I felt the need to discard my carefully managed and shepherded budget and spend like $200k on loving weird-rear end bridges. It was the pressure to keep the stream interesting and moving.

Hilariously they work(ish) for solving the problem I wanted them to solve... but I'll probably demolish them sooner or later. Or make it worse.

Oh, hello Escapist streamer. I spent far too long watching your stream today. I think I saw the answer to this but I had the stream in a small popup box with no sound because I was at work. When you buy new map tiles does your existing money/happiness/abilities carry over to the new "map" or is it something you have to build over again?

Basically, I'm planning on moving my industry out to the furthest point down river in later game and trying to find a suitable highway or mass transit solution.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Nothing needs to carry over - you expand your playing area, you don't move to a different map so everything you already had just has a larger area to work in. Services only affect the areas they "patrol" though, so if you make an industry area on the other side of your now 2 tile map then your fire service in town probably won't cover it.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
If I can't create a dystopian cyberpunk city there's really no reason to get the game. I want to have smog everywhere and a raised plate where all the rich people live blocking out the sun for all the poor people under it.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K9AlLo1KZs

This guy has some nice videos about the game.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I thought back on SC4 a bit and realized I could clarify what my sizing issue with Skylines was.

In SC4 your maximum lot to road ratio is 3:1 for normal roads. In Skylines it is 2:1. This makes the roads feel too large compared to buildings.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
I'm going to go ahead and say that it's not such a bad thing since this game seems to excel at road building, and just be generally good at city building.

Which has me VERY excited. March 10th, here we come.

Also JonBolds, so sad you did not cave in to the elevated roundabout over another roundabout request during your stream.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Population (self.CitiesSkylines)

I am probably the only one, but the population versus city size is bothering me. It is hard to believe I only have 50k people in a city full high rise buildings. I live in a city of 60k and we don't have a single three story or taller building.

beep bop fatal error: video game not like real life

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Watched someone stream the tame. Built the most insane highway system. Traffic seems to work. 10/10

No but honestly, what is the consent on the game right now? Traffic and streets is what will make and break the game for me.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Last night I watched a bearded man play this on Twitch while eating what he called 'breakfast', which consisted of him shovelling processed ham from a packet and cubes of cheese into his floating head at the bottom of the screen. Despite how badly he was playing it , the game actually looked promising on his disgusting cheese and ham smeared computer.

It's a shame though with these games that despite buildings taking up most of your screen there is so little attention paid to different styles of architecture. hopefully this will come later as supposedly this game will be supported for ten years. Perhaps they can also correct the error of not including some kind of procedural wall to wall building system when there are curved roads.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Metrication posted:

Last night I watched a bearded man play this on Twitch while eating what he called 'breakfast', which consisted of him shovelling processed ham from a packet and cubes of cheese into his floating head at the bottom of the screen. Despite how badly he was playing it , the game actually looked promising on his disgusting cheese and ham smeared computer.

It's a shame though with these games that despite buildings taking up most of your screen there is so little attention paid to different styles of architecture. hopefully this will come later as supposedly this game will be supported for ten years. Perhaps they can also correct the error of not including some kind of procedural wall to wall building system when there are curved roads.
European buildings and tunnels are the two things the devs talked about adding in the immediate future. For free.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Inverness posted:

European buildings and tunnels are the two things the devs talked about adding in the immediate future. For free.

That is good news :)

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am really curious if Paradox as a publisher will manage to get them to go for a DLC model like EU4, every major DLC comes with a free patch. Idiots like me can buy all the DLC and finance the devs work while everyone still gets basic improvements for free.

All in all this looks like a fun game that could live for a while.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

madstrike posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K9AlLo1KZs

This guy has some nice videos about the game.

One thing in not happy about is that this game's marketing has introduced me to the term "youtuber".

Just shut up and play ffs!

Metrication posted:

Its funny but European style wall to wall buildings have never really interested me at all. I guess we all just want to build cities like the ones we live in.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

MonoAus posted:

Its funny but European style wall to wall buildings have never really interested me at all. I guess we all just want to build cities like the ones we live in.

Places outside of Europe have wall to wall buildings. Consider Boston, New York, San Francisco, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Melbourne etc. Yes that is true, which is why there should be more focus on architecture, particularly of different eras. In SC4 there were 4 different eras of architecture included in Rush Hour. Obviously this is difficult at launch, but I hope having built a solid game (I assume) they will concentrate on stuff like this later.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 4, 2015

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Watching a few lets play's and traffic looks like one of the major factors. Any good guides on traffic engineering?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Watching a few lets play's and traffic looks like one of the major factors. Any good guides on traffic engineering?
Spread out resources and avoid having only one road leading to important stuff, like a highway entrance/exit or a cargo depot. That seems key, from the Youtube stuff thus far.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ofaloaf posted:

Spread out resources and avoid having only one road leading to important stuff, like a highway entrance/exit or a cargo depot. That seems key, from the Youtube stuff thus far.

I'm curious if a lot of one ways is ideal, or rotaries, etc.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I want to import my city into Euro Truck Simulator and make deliveries in my own hosed up traffic

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

rt4 posted:

I want to import my city into Euro Truck Simulator and make deliveries in my own hosed up traffic

This. Simtrucker.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Also JonBolds, so sad you did not cave in to the elevated roundabout over another roundabout request during your stream.

Oh god are you going to love what I'm doing with my goofy-rear end highway roundabout next week.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm seeing a promo from GMG for $21.49 for pre-purchase, but nothing lower. Does anyone know of additional coupons that bring it under $20 (as mentioned earlier in the thread)?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

I'm curious if a lot of one ways is ideal, or rotaries, etc.

Probably won't know for sure until the basement dwelling nerds get a hold of the game and spend a week testing every single configuration. By April there will be no more mystery.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Only complaints are that it starts out just like SC2013 in that your city is an offramp on a highway, instead of letting you build the entire highway system as you see fit, and it looks like you earn buildings and road types as your city progresses instead of having the option to lay out your massive grid of avenues and such all at once.

How is the mass transit in the game? Is there as many options as SC4? I like using Monorail/Shinkansen for long distance stuff and light rail for inner city travel so that way freight is the only thing using heavy rail.

The rail going east/west is Shinkansen that links to every major city I have in my region, while the rail going north/south cuts through the centre of a loop I build farther out from the city centre so that way my Sims can get anywhere they want

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 4, 2015

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Tusen Takk posted:

Only complaints are that it starts out just like SC2013 in that your city is an offramp on a highway, instead of letting you build the entire highway system as you see fit, and it looks like you earn buildings and road types as your city progresses instead of having the option to lay out your massive grid of avenues and such all at once.

How is the mass transit in the game? Is there as many options as SC4? I like using Monorail/Shinkansen for long distance stuff and light rail for inner city travel so that way freight is the only thing using heavy rail.

Your city only *starts* as an offramp. Once you start unlocking other chunks of the map you can (and will need to) edit and reroute the existing highway to fit your needs and get people between your population centers.

Mass transit is okay. Buses are a godsend but a pain in the rear end to set up unless you actually know a lot about loving buses. Subways are magical. Civilian rail and heavy rail are stuck using the same tracks so you have to take care with how you set up the rail system to make sure they're not sharing the same tracks very often and your freight traffic doesn't use your transport rail system.

For now though you have:
1)Buses
2)Subway
3)Trains

You can set up routes for those. Subway and train routes stop at stations you place and travel along tunnels or tracks you place but the routes you create will only stop at the stations you choose. Buses can, obviously, stop anywhere there's a road on either side of the road.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Tusen Takk posted:

and it looks like you earn buildings and road types as your city progresses instead of having the option to lay out your massive grid of avenues and such all at once.
You can unlock everything before starting the game.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Ofaloaf posted:

Good job, Quill, you did it. You built a cloverleaf.

loving sold. I hope somebody posted this in the A/T traffic engineering thread.

I've been watching Quill's videos and streams and the game looks okay, the only thing I saw that I didn't like was the dumb tiny farm zones, everything else I think I can handle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm still intently curious if you can actually build a sort of "urbanist" city where most don't drive. The game seems super super car-centric and all the roads are big and nasty looking, like something that would run through a suburban strip-mall district, not a beautiful city core. Hope we get more aesthetically pleasing roads with cobble streets and mosaic sidewalks. Everyone's building their cities in these long super-blocks or maze of suburban roads, which are the absolute worst for pedestrians. I've yet to see anyone with any interest in real world urban planning take on the game. For instance can you make a "fused grid" layout with the pedestrian paths? Do the CiMs take advantage of it?

The type of poo poo that gets me hard is opening up a mode-share graph, building some mid-block pedestrian walkways through the city, then checking that mode share tab and seeing the car share down and pedestrian share up. Uhhgg yes.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 4, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

JonBolds posted:

Your city only *starts* as an offramp. Once you start unlocking other chunks of the map you can (and will need to) edit and reroute the existing highway to fit your needs and get people between your population centers.

Mass transit is okay. Buses are a godsend but a pain in the rear end to set up unless you actually know a lot about loving buses. Subways are magical. Civilian rail and heavy rail are stuck using the same tracks so you have to take care with how you set up the rail system to make sure they're not sharing the same tracks very often and your freight traffic doesn't use your transport rail system.

For now though you have:
1)Buses
2)Subway
3)Trains

You can set up routes for those. Subway and train routes stop at stations you place and travel along tunnels or tracks you place but the routes you create will only stop at the stations you choose. Buses can, obviously, stop anywhere there's a road on either side of the road.
Welp now to decide if I should use my $50 best buy gift card to buy a Steam card or put it towards buying a New 3DS

Yaos posted:

You can unlock everything before starting the game.

Nice!!!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You can't do a non-car city. You can probably keep the roads to the minimum possible size by going nuts on bus stops though to reduce the amount of people driving.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Well hopefully I can dig into the game and increase the max time/distance people are willing to walk up to a more reasonable level. I'd really enjoy a more realistic looking city where there's maybe 2-3 roads per tile over 2 lanes, the rest nice pleasant little streets. My dream game would actually model "pedestrian attractiveness" or something and take into account how safe and convenient walking is for people. A busy stroad with fast traffic and narrow sidewalks and parking lots, not so pleasant. A quiet slow road with trees, nice street furniture, pedestrian priority crossings, "human scale" buildings and storefronts, very pleasant. A successful retail area would need to be very attractive to local pedestrians. Add in a few new road types like limited-access roads that only allow residents and delivery trucks to use and you're golden.

I know for a lot of people the selling point of the game is dealing with motor vehicle traffic, building big complex car infrastructure. But for me an idea city has the least amount of space dedicated to cars as possible, that's the goal I want to chase after.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 4, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pedestrian only or pedestrian-favoring roads would be a nice addition to the game. As would be parking garages/lots which allow people to use their car for part of the trip and then walk the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Since their modding setup is supposedly so flexible, it should be possible to figure out a way to make new infrastructure, vehicles, and behaviors for a carfree city or district. The main question will be finding people skilled and dedicated enough to pull it off. I'm inclined to do it myself since transportation has fascinated me for years and I program computers for a living anyway, but the time commitment may be too much...

• Locked thread