Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Cerv posted:

Do you people really think Craig Charles should be banned from
TV forever for taking coke? Cos then you might be in for a nasty surprise about how many other people are going too.
Or is it just cos it was crack aka poor people's coke, not the nice middle clas stuff ?

Once you've had one controversial front page you shouldn't be on TV anymore until there's nothing but slightly orange rent-a-yanks who can be chopped and changed without anyone noticing.

Then everyone can complain about it not being like the old days when people had personalities on TV don't you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Farage has gone full swivel-eyed racist loon.

quote:

Pressed on which discrimination laws he would get rid of, the Ukip leader said: “Much of it. I think the employer should be much freer to make decisions on who he or she employs.”

Asked whether there would be a law against discrimination on the grounds of race or colour under Ukip, Farage added: “No … because we take the view, we are colour-blind. We as a party are colour-blind.”

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

OwlFancier posted:

If you're axing a show because of a problematic host, I'm not sure Robot Wars is what you should replace it with.

Scrapheap challenge though, that'd be pretty great. Actually robot wars would be too if you could also go into the past and let Craig Charles be able to host it again.

Phillipa Forrester: history's greatest monster.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Robot Wars was just remote control biscuit tins slowly avoiding each other. Garbage.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/ukip-may-be-a-bit-racist-2015022395620

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My mate says she saw Craig Charles at a train station once. He yelled at her, demanding that she got in a cab with him, and then called her a oval office when she told him to gently caress off and stop being creepy.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Craig Charles is a good dj and his all star jazz band stuff is an awesome good time and coke is fun and you're a square if you've never been offered crack.

He was acquitted of rape so if you think that everyone charged of rape is guilty then he's a rapist but he was proven innocent by a jury of his peers.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

i had a few beers with craig charles once, he was a fun guy

Pissflaps posted:

Robot Wars was just remote control biscuit tins slowly avoiding each other. Garbage.

it was great live

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Robot wars wanted to be awesome and everyone kind of publicly bought into the idea that it was this amazing deathmatch of cold iron and plucky British engineering. But everyone who took part, and everyone who watched it, knew deep down that it was basically anticlimactic and more than a little bit sad. They could see it in each others' eyes.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm not excepting this robot wars revisionism. I liked it when the nerds from cambridge spent 30 grand on theirs and it was shite

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'm not excepting this robot wars revisionism. I liked it when the nerds from cambridge spent 30 grand on theirs and it was shite

It's not revisionism. I understood it was garbage when I first saw it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Depends how clever you get. Fancy single board computers that could keep the robot doing something in absence of a control signal are a lot more widely available now than they were when it originally aired.
At least then they'd have to build actual robots rather than

Pissflaps posted:

just remote control biscuit tins slowly avoiding each other.
Although I suspect real autonomous bots would in large part not come up with very interesting strategies, it might be worth it for the few that did something really unexpected or stupid. Also you could have flying ones these days.

e: lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ivFpsmEVQ

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 12, 2015

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

"Things We Won't Say About Race That Are True"? :confused: Though if a former human rights commissioner is presenting it I hope it's just a provocative title and not some dogwhistle UKIP promotion.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stottie Kyek posted:

"Things We Won't Say About Race That Are True"? :confused: Though if a former human rights commissioner is presenting it I hope it's just a provocative title and not some dogwhistle UKIP promotion.

quote:

Phillips said he made the programme because he had come to the conclusion that, while much of the equality movement in Britain had changed it for the better, it might also have led to serious and unwanted consequences that could undermine what had been achieved.

Yeah, it's gonna be racist.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

CTRL-F
Find What: muslims
Replace With: jews

Uh oh

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

:siren: :frogsiren: BREAKING (though not really) :frogsiren: :siren:

Producer in Top Gear PUNCH-UP row says "Clarkson DIDN'T hit me"

quote:

Oisin Tymon Ⓜ️ @TymonOisin · 10h 10 hours ago
Big day tomorrow and I promise all the #BringBackClarkson fans I will tell the enquiry team that Jeremy did not hit me and this will be ok

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Is there a sector of the UK economy or job position where a UK employer HAS to take on a johnny foreigner over a pure patriotic white english person?
They are back tracking on his statements saying 'he meant nation not color', but for the life of me I cannot think of a job where an employer is forced to take lesser trained foreigners over local applicants.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tooterfish posted:

Here you go!

Basically: right to buy + inflated housing market + housing benefit = rich landlord subsidy.

tony benn tried to warn you, but you did not heed him! you did not deserve tony benn

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Zephro posted:

:siren: :frogsiren: BREAKING (though not really) :frogsiren: :siren:

Producer in Top Gear PUNCH-UP row says "Clarkson DIDN'T hit me"

Last I heard was that a punch was thrown but didn't necessarily connect (i.e. someone with more sense got between them). That producer has been retweeting #bringbackclarkson stuff quite a lot so I'm guessing his job is also on the line.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Dabir posted:

Hate to interrupt Deathbot Killfest 9000 chat, but there's something that's been bugging me for a while. Right to Buy. The tories love it and keep saying Labour will take it away, so I know it must be some kind of horribly regressive poo poo given a palatable name like how Right to Work in the States actually means 'you can be fired for no reason at any time'. But I just can't work out how. Could someone explain it to me?

Right to Buy is brilliant for the people living in a council flat with enough money to put down a deposit (and the right kind of income to get a mortgage) but it is terrible for the people on the council waiting list as there's now one less home available for them. It is horrible too as so many properties purchased through buy to let end up being rented out for twice the cost of the social housing beside it, badly maintained and with a big sign in the window saying 'No DSS'.

If the proceeds from Right to Buy had been ringfenced and invested purely in building more homes for social housing then it might have been a nice thing.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

happyhippy posted:

Is there a sector of the UK economy or job position where a UK employer HAS to take on a johnny foreigner over a pure patriotic white english person?
They are back tracking on his statements saying 'he meant nation not color', but for the life of me I cannot think of a job where an employer is forced to take lesser trained foreigners over local applicants.

I don't think he's arguing that businesses are forced to take foreigners on, rather that they're not allowed to discriminate against them. I.e. he wants businesses to be free to pick a Briton over a foreigner, even when they're equally qualified - I believe that sort of discrimination is forbidden at the moment.

He did explicitly rule out discriminating on race - is it really much more than an 'employ British' campaign? Do his comments about previous integration of Huguenots, Jews and Ugandan Asians compared to the non-integration of certain parts of the Muslim community carry any historical weight or is it bullshit?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Kegluneq posted:

Last I heard was that a punch was thrown but didn't necessarily connect (i.e. someone with more sense got between them). That producer has been retweeting #bringbackclarkson stuff quite a lot so I'm guessing his job is also on the line.
Why would his job be on the line, though?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Zephro posted:

Presumably if Top Gear goes under a lot of the people working on it are going to be looking for new jobs as well. Even if they're just moved onto other shows, it's not going to be something of a similar status (bearing in mind TG is broadcast in 200 countries and has a global audience of 350 million).

Dakha
Feb 18, 2002

Fun Shoe
Hahaha go Telegraph comments:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zephro posted:

Because of this, I imagine. This was a very expensive disciplinary action.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Zephro posted:

If they were both kicking off they should both get sacked

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Recyclopse was always the best because of how cheap it was

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Kegluneq posted:

Presumably if Top Gear goes under a lot of the people working on it are going to be looking for new jobs as well. Even if they're just moved onto other shows, it's not going to be something of a similar status (bearing in mind TG is broadcast in 200 countries and has a global audience of 350 million).
Ah OK. I thought you meant the BBC might be firing him. Although:

quote:

If they were both kicking off they should both get sacked
Is a good point.

edit:

quote:

Because of this, I imagine. This was a very expensive disciplinary action.
Oisin says on his Twitter feed that he didn't make the complaint. His "duty manager" did.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

It was fun until everyone realised the way to win was to have a flipper bot but i liked the one that split into 2 smaller robots and owned n00blords. Also when they tightened the rules on weapons after a blade went through the protective screen and that was the last of things like Hypnodisc.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I guess if you did it again you'd probably have a couple of people with quadcopters which would result in me immediately building one called swatter

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Now I need video of Hypnodisc ripping bots apart in eye-watering ways. Ah, nostalgia. :allears:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I guess if you did it again you'd probably have a couple of people with quadcopters which would result in me immediately building one called swatter

I'm imagining a biscuit tin with a spring-loaded snow shovel mounted to the top.

Also, Diotior catching fire in every match it was in for life :allears:

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 12, 2015

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
UKIP is very concerned that we are going to run out of carbon dioxide.

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/ukip-mep-claims-decarbonising-europe-will-mean-less-carbon-dioxide-for-plants/

quote:

Mr Pitella are you aware that if you succeed in decarbonising europe our crops will have no natural gas to grow from. We have to have carbon dioxide. This is madness, absolute madness what you are suggesting and our industry, our Agricultural industry is going to suffer heavily if we attempt to bury carbon dioxide in the ground. It is absolutely mad.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

What happens when we run out of renewable energy?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

That is loving hilarious

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Prince John posted:

I don't think he's arguing that businesses are forced to take foreigners on, rather that they're not allowed to discriminate against them. I.e. he wants businesses to be free to pick a Briton over a foreigner, even when they're equally qualified - I believe that sort of discrimination is forbidden at the moment.

He did explicitly rule out discriminating on race - is it really much more than an 'employ British' campaign? Do his comments about previous integration of Huguenots, Jews and Ugandan Asians compared to the non-integration of certain parts of the Muslim community carry any historical weight or is it bullshit?

This would be more convincing if he'd picked Belgian or Dutch nationals to discriminate against rather than Polish ones. I'd still disagree with it, but at least we wouldn't have people saying "there's totally not any racism against Eastern Europeans" in a way that allows for some more racism against Eastern Europeans.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Holy poo poo lmao

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Jippa posted:

What happens when we run out of renewable energy?

This is just being disingenuous and petty - you know for a fact, good sir, that she was referring to subsidies

Now - let me tell you how the gays cause floods.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
floods of cum from ym gay dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Prince John posted:

I thought the usual kipper line was that Poles were doing the same work for less pay, thereby undercutting British workers (i.e. salary dumping, which is not a pretty phenomenon)- "bloody Poles coming over here and nicking all the jobs etc". Surely they should be in favour of anti-workplace discrimination laws.

• Locked thread