Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Appropriate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pQUKV9MuM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The BBC are facing a multi million pound bill for cancelling the last 3 episodes of Top Gear from all the people they've sold the series too worldwide.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

serious gaylord posted:

The BBC are facing a multi million pound bill for cancelling the last 3 episodes of Top Gear from all the people they've sold the series too worldwide.

Well maybe this will teach them to fire people who have long-standing records of bigotry.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Well maybe this will teach them to fire people who have long-standing records of bigotry.

does anyone other than this thread take jeremy clarkson at face value

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

People who agree with the things he says do.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

It's amazing, to me, that people in this thread genuinely think he's the scumbag the daily mail tells everyone he is.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Malcolm XML posted:

Every "bloke" in England?

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Regarding Terry Pratchett, Going Postal's main theme is that capitalism does not provide the best product at the cheapest price, but the worst product and highest price the government is going to allow it to get away with. This is shortly followed up by Making Money, which explicitly states that value is derived from labour and not precious metals. These two books alone might do something to repair the damage done to young readers (or sci-fi/fantasy enthusiasts, autists or IT workers) by Atlas Shrugged, and for that alone TP is not Literally Hitler.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
it's not like atlas shrugged is on school reading lists or read by anybody other than libertarian turbonerds who think wearing bow ties makes them look sophisticated, i don't really think it's doing a whole lot of damage to the world

also, raising steam is full of praise for entrepreneurial capitalism and aspirational thinking

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It's amazing, to me, that people in this thread genuinely think he's the scumbag the daily mail tells everyone he is.

It's amazing to me that they can't tell he's a character he plays as its made him a millionaire.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jeremy Clarkson is probably the best wind up merchant...in the world.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

LemonDrizzle posted:

it's not like atlas shrugged is on school reading lists or read by anybody other than libertarian turbonerds who think wearing bow ties makes them look sophisticated, i don't really think it's doing a whole lot of damage to the world

also the finance minister of norway has it as her favourite book so y'know

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LemonDrizzle posted:

I gather it is, or at least was, in parts of the USA because ~American Author~ :swoon: (possibly also because Rand was a Russian ex-pat outspoken on her hatred for the USSR)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
The Terry Pratchett thing has hit me harder than I thought it would, given that I knew it would be coming. It's time to re-read Night Watch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

It's amazing to me that they can't tell he's a character he plays as its made him a millionaire.

Is there a difference between espousing backwards publicly for money as an act, and espousing backwards ideas publicly because you know no better and getting paid for it?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Malcolm XML posted:

stickyfngrdboy posted:

serious gaylord posted:

When someone says "Jeremy Clarkson is a bigoted prick" or "Jeremy Clarkson is a hero who says what everyone is thinking", they are talking about the well known character of TV and newspaper columns, Jeremy Clarkson, as presented to the world by the actor, Jeremy Clarkson. The actor, Jeremy Clarkson, may well be a different man in private. But the majority of people will never meet him or experience any aspect of him other than his public persona, Jeremy Clarkson. In public, on TV, in his books and columns Jeremy Clarkson is as far as I can tell unfailingly in character as Jeremy Clarkson. Unless he is keeping a LiveJournal under a pseudonym somewhere we've really no way of knowing what the private Jeremy Clarkson is like or how to distinguish him from the Jeremy Clarkson we all know and have strong feelings about. Therefore for the purposes of this and most other conversations I don't see any useful reason to distinguish between Jeremy Clarkson and Jeremy Clarkson.

Jeremy Clarkson is, in effect, Jeremy Clarkson.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Boogoose posted:

Regarding Terry Pratchett, Going Postal's main theme is that capitalism does not provide the best product at the cheapest price, but the worst product and highest price the government is going to allow it to get away with. This is shortly followed up by Making Money, which explicitly states that value is derived from labour and not precious metals. These two books alone might do something to repair the damage done to young readers (or sci-fi/fantasy enthusiasts, autists or IT workers) by Atlas Shrugged, and for that alone TP is not Literally Hitler.
Going Postal contains an explicit parody the John Galt figure, so it deserves mention for that.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

LemonDrizzle posted:

Political viewpoints aside, is it actually worth reading? Aka well written?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Prince John posted:

Atlas Shrugged? A miserable, endless screed of 100-page speeches by boring fuckwits, by all accounts.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Oberleutnant posted:

Atlas Shrugged? A miserable, endless screed of 100-page speeches by boring fuckwits, by all accounts.

They made a book of this thread?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

They made a book of this thread?

just ur posts

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

Everything I've heard suggests that Rand is an absolutely atrocious writer, a perfect blend of interminably long winded and agonizingly boring.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013
serious gaylord

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Haha, I laughed. Thanks everyone, I shall continue to steer well clear.

Edit: Ooh, question time on iplayer with Natalie Bennett. Let's see how she does...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 12, 2015

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

OwlFancier posted:

Everything I've heard suggests that Rand is an absolutely atrocious writer, a perfect blend of interminably long winded and agonizingly boring.

lmao u can't understand how poo poo rand is until you've read through pages and pages of john galt's logorrhea

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I feel like I should try atlas shrugged, so i can look people in the eye when I talk about what an awful poo poo ayn rand was and how morally and ethically bankrupt her philosophy was, but I've seen people quote parts of that speech into gbs threads and it just takes up loving pages and pages.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Well, there's always http://galtse.cx/

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What ever happened to that Web page that was just a plaintext dump of John Galt's final speech?

e/ haha, gently caress my timing :goatsecx:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Prince John posted:

Haha, I laughed. Thanks everyone, I shall continue to steer well clear.

Edit: Ooh, question time on iplayer with Natalie Bennett. Let's see how she does...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone

So far she's not doing very well at all. She's just getting lost in the crowd a bit.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you can read the first two or three pages of atlas shrugged and get a feel for it - apart from galt's absurd speech, it's basically the same all the way, with no pacing or anything to speak of. i don't mind rand's prose, tbh, it works for what she wants it to even if she sounds evil and incredibly angry all the time. it is a mediocre novel apart from That Speech, which makes it bad.

it's better than, like, fifty shades of grey, which is so shoddily written sentence-wise that i had to force myself to finish even the tiny bit i decided to read

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Haha there's an audiobook version on YouTube, in 94 parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjOkw8tSij0

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

When someone says "Jeremy Clarkson is a bigoted prick" or "Jeremy Clarkson is a hero who says what everyone is thinking"

I dont know that anyone says these things in real life, ever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Malcolm XML posted:

lmao u can't understand how poo poo rand is until you've read through pages and pages of john galt's logorrhea

As that is not something I ever wish to understand I will continue to not suffer through that and be happier for it.

That sort of thing is what english teachers are for, they read boring things so I don't have to. Unless you're a student, in which case they make you read them too.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I dont know that anyone says these things in real life, ever.

They were just examples.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Jeremy Clarkson is a close personal friend of David Cameron and Rebeca Brooks and he cried at Thatcher's funeral. His character is him just with the volume turned up.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

They were just examples.

Examples... Of things people say, about Jeremy Clarkson?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Has anyone ever seen Clarkson out of character, though? When did he drop the mask and start expressing actual decent opinions? Certainly, a lot of the racism and general unpleasantness he's been pilloried for wasn't on-camera in front of a studio audience, and there seems to be little evidence that him taking a swing at a producer for serving him cold food was an elaborate publicity stunt.

Sometimes, people really are the absurd, ghastly caricatures they seem to be. We're on Something Awful. We should know this.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

So far she's not doing very well at all. She's just getting lost in the crowd a bit.

Ian Hislop is giving her quite a hard time repeatedly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Prince John posted:

Ian Hislop is giving her quite a hard time repeatedly.

She just manages to come across as even less of a leader than Ed does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Has anyone ever seen Clarkson out of character, though? When did he drop the mask and start expressing actual decent opinions? Certainly, a lot of the racism and general unpleasantness he's been pilloried for wasn't on-camera in front of a studio audience, and there seems to be little evidence that him taking a swing at a producer for serving him cold food was an elaborate publicity stunt.

Sometimes, people really are the absurd, ghastly caricatures they seem to be. We're on Something Awful. We should know this.

no, jeremy clarkson is such a good actor that he feels compelled to pretend to be a knobhead for years at a time, sometimes even when no one is watching!

• Locked thread