Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yeah this is not fun.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, drat. Goodnight, Pterry, you will be missed.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Alzheimer's is the worst. gently caress Alzheimer's.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd just started getting back into my Pratchett collection after not touching them for like four years, too.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

:rip: :smith:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Terrible news. Pratchett was a huge inspiration and an excellent writer. Ankh-Morpork has always been one of my favorite fantasy locations. I'm gonna miss him a lot.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Woke up to this news. :(

I read his "A Slip of the Keyboard" a few months ago and I highly recommend it for anyone grieving for Sir Terry.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

gently caress all the things

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

PurpleXVI posted:

The pitch for Exalted is wonderful, if only the reality could be as good.

Well we'll always have the time honored tradition of running X in Y ruleset.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't want to drag the argument here but... if you visit the 3E thread, that's not exactly something everyone agrees on. My personal opinion is that it's neither a step forward or a step backward, still poo poo, still roughly as poo poo, but poo poo of a slightly different flavour and texture, which is a shame, a drat shame, because as just about everyone can attest to: The pitch for Exalted is wonderful, if only the reality could be as good.
I just wanna know if combat is still a nonsensical pile of overcomplicated bullshit or not.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Yawgmoth posted:

I just wanna know if combat is still a nonsensical pile of overcomplicated bullshit or not.

It is. It's a shame.

Brian Clevinger (Atomic Robo comic and Fate RPG) wrote an open letter a while back to the Ex3 developers hoping that they'd take a less complex, more intuitive approach to the rules; something more akin to Fate. Their response on rpg.net was basically "Nah, we love overcomplicated bullshit."

EDIT: Here's the letter

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 13, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Simian_Prime posted:

It is. It's a shame.

Brian Clevinger (Atomic Robo comic and Fate RPG) wrote an open letter a while back to the Ex3 developers hoping that they'd take a less complex, more intuitive approach to the rules; something more akin to Fate or *World. Their response was basically "Nah, we love overcomplicated bullshit."
Welp. Guess I can enjoy not having any desire to play Exalted still. Why can't they just add a sidebar/section for simpler combat like nWoD 2e did? In there you can have your powers with discrete effects and defenses and weapons etc ad infinitum if you like. Or you can just have everyone roll one time, make everything that might help/hider into a bonus/penalty for one side or the other, and move on with the game. I would probably pay for the books on principle if they had a "so here's how you use nWoD mechanics for Exalted combat" section.

Edit: "The main problem with EX3, as I see it from my admittedly distant post, is that no one told its developers that it’s not 2001 anymore." But then that's always been the problem, hasn't it.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 13, 2015

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

TheTatteredKing posted:

Well we'll always have the time honored tradition of running X in Y ruleset.

The few times I've tried suggesting that to Exalted fans I've been told that it's impossible to separate the crunch and the fluff of Exalted, and that if I wanted to do that, I obviously simply didn't like Exalted and should simply go play something else.

I took their advice and it turned out to be an excellent suggestion.

Simian_Prime posted:

It is. It's a shame.

Brian Clevinger (Atomic Robo comic and Fate RPG) wrote an open letter a while back to the Ex3 developers hoping that they'd take a less complex, more intuitive approach to the rules; something more akin to Fate. Their response on rpg.net was basically "Nah, we love overcomplicated bullshit."

EDIT: Here's the letter

When Holden was in the 3E Exalted thread, people gave him constructive critique on Abyssals(it was related to the creepy as gently caress rape ghost charm tree they had, and I think still have), and his response was that he was legally barred from taking suggestions from people. I think trying to negotiate with the 3E Exalted devs is a lost cause.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
:smith:
I gotta find a game, something to take my mind off this.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drat I'm sure the EX3 guys would have a lot of good advice from the guy who invented the epic meme "SWORD-CHUCKS YO" and others from great comic 8-bit theater.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sword-chucks would probably fit into exalted perfectly though

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Simian_Prime posted:

It is. It's a shame.

So far as I've been reading today, here are the things that seemed better:

Combat Lethality
Mounted Combat
Mass Combat
Anima Effects

And here are the things that felt like they still had problems to me:

Character Creation
Experience Costs
Experience Gains
Training Times
Death Spirals
Brawl vs. Martial Arts
Character Balance
Combat Complexity
Charm Bloat
Mutations
Merits / Flaws
System Mastery
Mote Economy
Penalties vs. Difficulty
Stunt Mechanics

Honorable Mention For A Mechanic That Makes My Eyes Do A Barrel Roll:

Selective Pregnancy

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well those are quite the definitively final Tweets. Though obviously not made by him. Hardly impacts their effectiveness though.

This must be a good time to ask if any of the Discworld-related games were any good. Also for someone to make a cracking new licensed game.

Oooooo!!!

Oooooo!!!

Well, all my problems are now solved.

Covok posted:

Seems you're right. I just assumed Shannon was a girl's name.
The American South has some interesting influences on male designers' names. Between Shannon and Shane Lacy Hensley. I mean, I know as many women as men named "Shane," and "Lacy" speaks for itself. Though sometimes I wonder if there is any way to delineate male and female names that is not generally just infantilizing to women.

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm now realizing that none of my D&D campaigns have ever featured violent union disputes. That's a shame.
A player once decided his character arc required him to kill this one public figure even though it was nominally a good-aligned game, the gamemaster decided to roll with it and just have the assassin's guild come after him for an unsanctioned public killing (hilariously, at first just by leaving a bill in his sleeping bag without alerting him one night, and then when he refused to pay his dues they predictably did try to kill him, but still).

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Welp. Guess I can enjoy not having any desire to play Exalted still. Why can't they just add a sidebar/section for simpler combat like nWoD 2e did? In there you can have your powers with discrete effects and defenses and weapons etc ad infinitum if you like. Or you can just have everyone roll one time, make everything that might help/hider into a bonus/penalty for one side or the other, and move on with the game. I would probably pay for the books on principle if they had a "so here's how you use nWoD mechanics for Exalted combat" section.

Edit: "The main problem with EX3, as I see it from my admittedly distant post, is that no one told its developers that it’s not 2001 anymore." But then that's always been the problem, hasn't it.

It might be best to just snatch the leak and come up with your own opinions on it, given that PurpleXVI unironically believes Exalted 2E's tick combat is good, rather than bad.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Bedlamdan posted:

It might be best to just snatch the leak and come up with your own opinions on it, given that PurpleXVI unironically believes Exalted 2E's tick combat is good, rather than bad.

Exalted 2E had its fair share of issues, plenty of them in combat, but I actually liked the tick mechanic. I always felt like it was one of the more natural ways to handle initiative.

So yes, please, attempt to state that all my opinions are irrelevant because I like one single mechanic.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Exalted 2E had its fair share of issues, plenty of them in combat, but I actually liked the tick mechanic. I always felt like it was one of the more natural ways to handle initiative.

So yes, please, attempt to state that all my opinions are irrelevant because I like one single mechanic.

Yes but what a mechanic.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Honorable Mention For A Mechanic That Makes My Eyes Do A Barrel Roll:

Selective Pregnancy

Well I think I learned all I need to know about the game

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

TheTatteredKing posted:

But come now, then you'd miss out on the anti-fiat currency rant and the city where they produce superbabies via gangbangs, including accidental mega-CHUD's that they for some reason flushed into the sewers rather than kill.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PurpleXVI posted:

I would rather roll around naked in a nest of ticks than put up with combat ticks. They're right next to weapon speeds in the "poo poo mechanics that are always poo poo" bucket.

Honorable mention goes to having multiple kinds of "I move out of the way" stats.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

But come now, then you'd miss out on the anti-fiat currency rant and the city where they produce superbabies via gangbangs, including accidental mega-CHUD's that they for some reason flushed into the sewers rather than kill.

But, Purple, they don't have that.

EDIT: Ok the fiat currency thing I'll give you, Grabowski was very big on that or something.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

When Holden was in the 3E Exalted thread, people gave him constructive critique on Abyssals(it was related to the creepy as gently caress rape ghost charm tree they had, and I think still have), and his response was that he was legally barred from taking suggestions from people. I think trying to negotiate with the 3E Exalted devs is a lost cause.
Being legally barred from taking suggestions is actually fairly standard. The point is that if you take suggestions on some upcoming product, then there's apparently a legal gray area where those who made the suggestions have grounds for claiming a share of revenues/profits. This is why playtesting services will put up a boilerplate disclaimer disowning you of any right to make money based on having put in feedback, and why late night talk shows would either tell people to not send in their jokes or else they'd be property of that particular show.

Though what was going on with the anti-fiat currency rant? This sounds wonderful in the stupidest possible way. :allears:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

TheTatteredKing posted:

It was very much "Really? You need a merit to say your character doesn't spawn? Isn't that like, something you can't just work out around the table? Is that a preview of the new Sexual Combat rules, or what?"

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

Being legally barred from taking suggestions is actually fairly standard. The point is that if you take suggestions on some upcoming product, then there's apparently a legal gray area where those who made the suggestions have grounds for claiming a share of revenues/profits. This is why playtesting services will put up a boilerplate disclaimer disowning you of any right to make money based on having put in feedback, and why late night talk shows would either tell people to not send in their jokes or else they'd be property of that particular show.

Though what was going on with the anti-fiat currency rant? This sounds wonderful in the stupidest possible way. :allears:

More boring than anything else.

quote:

In the case of most Threshold states, the central authority of the nation, or perhaps their provincial governors in the case of a fractious state, are the operator of the mints. A well- operated mint is a source of social stability and economic power. A mint striking coins made mostly of base metals, and forcing the currency into the economy by force of legal authority, is a sign of spendthrift or rapacious leadership. Debased coinage progressively strip-mines the wealth out of society to pad the budget of its owner.

The Empress did not like debased coinage, as she knew it was a gateway to political instability, which was ultimately her problem as Queen of Everything. It was also in any case hard to account for, as every debased coin has a separate real value. Threshold princes were accordingly held to minting at 95% purity or better by Imperial fiat. Assaying was done by a fearsome array of bound demons and Dragon-Blooded inspectors, and punishment was swift and horrible. As a result, the Threshold during the reign of the Empress featured a wide array of easily exchangeable, stable currencies, all easily counted and laid at the Empress’s feet. This standard was also accepted and promulgated by the Guild, who enforced it in the Scavenger Lands and throughout Creation.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It was very much "Really? You need a merit to say your character doesn't spawn? Isn't that like, something you can't just work out around the table? Is that a preview of the new Sexual Combat rules, or what?"

This dovetails with the perception of that group of players that the rules can't be divorced from the setting in a funny way.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
The tick mechanic was taken from Feng Shui (a lot of Exalted mechanics were basically a clumsy attempt to graft Feng Shui's innovations onto the Storyteller system). It worked ok for FS because the system didn't really have much in the way of moving parts, but once you started being able to manipulate the battle wheel with extra action Charms and weapon speeds it became a total clusterfuck.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Simian_Prime posted:

The tick mechanic was taken from Feng Shui (a lot of Exalted mechanics were basically a clumsy attempt to graft Feng Shui's innovations onto the Storyteller system). It worked ok for FS because the system didn't really have much in the way of moving parts, but once you started being able to manipulate the battle wheel with extra action Charms and weapon speeds it became a total clusterfuck.

Wait. So Exalted was basically an attempt to remake Feng Shui in Storyteller? That explains a hell of a lot about its reputation.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ticks and the Battle Wheel would be an interesting mechanic in a good game that used it well, but Exalted 2e is not that game.
i mean it had ticks and flurries like some frankenstein game monster

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Wait. So Exalted was basically an attempt to remake Feng Shui in Storyteller? That explains a hell of a lot about its reputation.

Maybe 2E was, 1E used a turn system.

Which is what normal people would prefer. :colbert:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

I would rather roll around naked in a nest of ticks than put up with combat ticks. They're right next to weapon speeds in the "poo poo mechanics that are always poo poo" bucket.

Honorable mention goes to having multiple kinds of "I move out of the way" stats.

Hey now, combat ticks are an excellent rule in a highly granular tactical combat system. Having them in an anime flavored game like Exalted is terrible.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Feng Shui's combat ticks were a terrible mechanic too, mind. They don't work well in a highly freeform narrative heavy fighting system. Nor did most of the other combat rules!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Geoff Grabowski, the 1e developer, was a writer for later FS books like Golden Comeback. The main influences he took from FS were the mook rules, stunt bonuses, and the trees for Fu Schticks that evolved into Charm trees.

Grabowski was gone by the time 2e rolled in, and the developers mistakenly thought "if *these* mechanics from FS work, then surely the battle wheel will!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Simian_Prime posted:

Geoff Grabowski, the 1e developer, was a writer for later FS books like Golden Comeback. The main influences he took from FS were the mook rules, stunt bonuses, and the trees for Fu Schticks that evolved into Charm trees.

Grabowski was gone by the time 2e rolled in, and the developers mistakenly thought "if *these* mechanics from FS work, then surely the battle wheel will!"

Things have gone much better now that they've ripped off Dissidia instead

• Locked thread