Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Andy Clarkson in a wrestling match, yeah yeah yeah yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I thought this grauniad article was interesting:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/11/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-nigel-farage

quote:

Clarkson’s genius lies in his skill at styling himself as the maverick, the unfairly maligned, say-it-like-it-is outsider, when the only way he could be more inside is if he gave himself a proctology exam. He is the Nigel Farage of TV presenters: just as Farage (public-school educated former banker married to a German) presents himself as the man of the European Union-loathing people, so Clarkson styles himself as the decent geezer who has the terrible misfortune to work for the Thought Police – I mean the BBC – who keep trying to tamp him down.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a difference between espousing backwards publicly for money as an act, and espousing backwards ideas publicly because you know no better and getting paid for it?

"We are what were pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be", to quote another cool dead guy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dear so-called BBC....

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

That was interesting, thanks.

It also reminded me - did anyone else somehow magically learn the racist version of eeny meeny miny moe in their childhood? I grew up saying it that way without ever particularly realising what it meant, and as far as I can remember that was true across the various schools I attended in my childhood. A straw poll of some of my friends (albeit not ones in the South-East) showed similar experiences. I had some sympathy with Clarkson on that particular issue, because I've started out with the rhyme once or twice and ended up having to clumsily abort halfway through when my brain caught up.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 13, 2015

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Prince John posted:

It also reminded me - did anyone else somehow magically learn the racist version of eeny meeny miny moe in their childhood? I grew up saying it that way without ever particularly realising what it meant, and as far as I can remember that was true across the various schools I attended in my childhood. A straw poll of some of my friends (albeit not ones in the South-East) showed similar experiences. I had some sympathy with Clarkson on that particular issue, because I've started out with the rhyme once or twice and ended up having to clumsily abort halfway through when my brain caught up.

Yep, that was the only version I ever really used, and I grew up exclusively in the south east. Though in my defence, it was the '70s.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I only recall known the "tiger" version growing up in the South, I probably heard the racist lyrics by the time I was mid-teens but don't specifically remember when i became aware of them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I got 'tinker'. So, potentially racist, but not obviously so.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

While walk the corridors of The BBC offices Clarkson will raise his eyes when passing You to avoid making eye contact with lowly staff

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My posh aunt was on holiday with her bessie when Jeremy Clarkson showed up and nicked her mate for some shagging. They apparently got married but I don't know if that was his first or second wife.

Apparently he's a dick but my aunt could just be butthurt about having a lovely holiday.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Ed Milliband was on some audience interview show on BBC 3. You can watch it here. He was pretty good I thought, took on the audience questions well and managed to fit it all into a narrative. Not much political weaseling until a drugs question came up, and he was pretty forthright on most things. Maybe I'm naive but he does come across as one of the more sincere politicans.

Also worth watchign to play spot the Tory. For reasons unknown a group fo them appear to be wearing matching suit jackets and lapel buttons.

]

Also worth watching for the Kosovan guy who inspires an audience-wide "shut up".

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Prince John posted:

I remember it being 'nicker', not sure if that was deliberate or i just heard it wrong.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Darth Walrus posted:

Has anyone ever seen Clarkson out of character, though? When did he drop the mask and start expressing actual decent opinions? Certainly, a lot of the racism and general unpleasantness he's been pilloried for wasn't on-camera in front of a studio audience, and there seems to be little evidence that him taking a swing at a producer for serving him cold food was an elaborate publicity stunt.

Sometimes, people really are the absurd, ghastly caricatures they seem to be. We're on Something Awful. We should know this.
His Brunel documentary was p good

quote:

I remember it being 'nicker', not sure if that was deliberate or i just heard it wrong.
I only ever learned "tiger" and I am a grizzled old man by the standards of this thread (I'm in my mid-thirties)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Kitchengate (?)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/12/kitchen-miliband-photo-backfires-bbc-labour

Don't you love british politics.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Why would you even need a second kitchen

unless it's for the help to heat their gruel in i guess

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sometimes you get the urge to bake at the same time someone else is trying to get dinner ready. :shrug:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
You might have made a mess of your main kitchen and need to cook something before your cleaner next comes.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
If your house is more than 60 or 70 years old there's probably a fairly good chance it'll have odd extra rooms for functions that required a dedicated space before modern household appliances were ubiquitous - pantries, washrooms, etc.
The old cottage I was in had a second kitchen installed in an old washroom, for example.

I don't think it's excessive to make conversions like that cause what else are you going to use a space of that size for? A loving micro-lounge?

Tabloids are gonna have a field day though.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
We went for nipper. It probably got bastardised somewhere because no one knew what the real word meant :3:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

No, sure, I can see using the space for something like a utility room or a downstairs loo or something. I just can't imagine circumstances in which you'd need to be using two different kitchens simultaneously. It just seems an odd use of the space.

As for the tabloids, ehh. It is pretty pointless for Ed Miliband to do his "man of the people" shtick when he lives in a house that 99% of the people couldn't afford and he was grandfathered in to the Labour party at least partly because of his dad's good name. It's as dumb as Jeremy Clarkson's "man of the people" shtick. Not saying he can't be a left-wing politician or stand up for people who have less than him but it's just pointless and a bit condescending for him to pretend he's keepin' it real in his Hampstead mansion.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

That kitchen is the same size as mine. Can't really begrudge him for it though, how people arrange their homes is their business and houses of a particular age and size have any number of extraneous rooms and architectural quirks.

I think my wife would happily murder me for a second kitchen though.

Edit: When I was growing up we had a weird bastardised version of the rhyme that went 'eeny meenie miny moe, it shall not be Y-O-Z you.' I've no idea.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 13, 2015

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Zephro posted:

Why would you even need a second kitchen

unless it's for the help to heat their gruel in i guess

... he's Jewish.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
It was 'catch a tigger' when I was young.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Rolled Cabbage posted:

... he's Jewish.

Pretty sure he's not observant (whatever the relevance of this is).

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Kegluneq posted:

http://m.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/82667/jewish/Koshering-Your-Kitchen.htm

Seems like it'd be the kind of thing you'd do to keep granny happy at passover even if you're non-practicing. Also I don't think its that unusual, even my uni flat had two sinks, ovens, double cupboards etc so people could keep things separate if they wanted.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

Miliband is the physical expression of the irreconcilability of class conflict.

In this harrowing image he attempts to maintain the dignity of the bourgeoise statesman while pandering to the proletariat via crass bacon-sarnie populism.

This circle cannot be squared.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Rolled Cabbage posted:

http://m.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/82667/jewish/Koshering-Your-Kitchen.htm

Seems like it'd be the kind of thing you'd do to keep granny happy at passover even if you're non-practicing. Also I don't think its that unusual, even my uni flat had two sinks, ovens, double cupboards etc so people could keep things separate if they wanted.

Uni flats are a bit different as you'd expect people to be preparing multiple meals as a matter of course.

I didn't know about the kosher kitchen stuff, but that does make sense.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Why is being Jewish relevant to having two kitchens? Is this another "wrestle some hoary old lifehacker tip from 4,000 years ago into a modern context because it's in a holy book" type deal?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Personally I think the best thing about Atlas Shrugged is the delicious irony of the films being complete and utter flops in the FREEEEE MAARKET.

Edit: I think they're on Netflix if you want to only spend a few hours of your life learning what utter wank it is instead of wasting your time with the book.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Zephro posted:

Why is being Jewish relevant to having two kitchens? Is this another "wrestle some hoary old lifehacker tip from 4,000 years ago into a modern context because it's in a holy book" type deal?

Basically yeah. There are rules over what kind of foods you can prepare together - meat and dairy are a big no apparently. The link posted shows that having a second kitchen is the simplest solution if you have a large enough house.

I've no idea if that's the actual reason secular Jew Ed Miliband has one but it's plausible.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Maybe the previous owners of his house converted part of it into a granny annex or something and they never bothered to tear out the spare kitchen.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Kegluneq posted:

secular Jew

Is that a contradiction in terms?

Huh, apparently not.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 13, 2015

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Prince John posted:

Is that a contradiction in terms?

You can be Jewish ethnicity without being Jewish in religion.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Maybe the previous owners of his house converted part of it into a granny annex or something and they never bothered to tear out the spare kitchen.

The larger point really is who cares what some one does with their house. It's trivial and shows how british politics can get caught up in this meaningless slap fighting. Nobody is going to change their vote over some thing like this.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zephro posted:

I only ever learned "tiger" and I am a grizzled old man by the standards of this thread (I'm in my mid-thirties)

Same here in Glasgow (though I'm only in my late 20s), I wasn't even aware there was a racist version until Clarkson got in trouble for it.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I got 'tinker'. So, potentially racist, but not obviously so.

I got tinker as well. I'm part Irish, so it definitely qualifies as, well, if not racist, then bigoted in some way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord of the Llamas posted:

You can be Jewish ethnicity without being Jewish in religion.
Like how Bosniaks are culturally Muslim even if they're non-practicing? Or how Dick Dawkins describes himself as a cultural Christian despite being :spergin:ist? Does that make all British people who aren't explicitly other religions 'culturally Christian'?

Reveilled posted:

I wasn't even aware there was a racist version until Clarkson got in trouble for it.
Has he tried the argument that they say it all the time in rap music? I like that one.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
in the grim pinko lefty feminazi future the thought police will root out counter-revolutionaries by having them sing the eenie-meenie-miney-mo song.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

mfcrocker posted:

We went for nipper. It probably got bastardised somewhere because no one knew what the real word meant :3:

I sometimes heard fenian at my school :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm almost certain we used to say 'goblin' at my school though tinker rings a bell too.

• Locked thread