Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Shnag posted:

Great memories of battle tanks. That tumbling tank was the best one. Saving your Goliath tank for last. And the fact you were killing each other over women was sweet too. The objective was to kidnap the other teams woman to use as your brood sow.

the 90s truly an advanced time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the tank that could roll sideways, but nobody else ever pressed the c buttons so they thought you were a loving tank wizard

Effsix
Aug 5, 2011

Keep it moving, chicken people! These knockoff purses ain't gonna make themselves!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, It was something like Infinite ammo, THE cheat everyone wanted to have. However, after about 5-10 minutes of a standoff in the library, I was regretting it. Then, everything came down to when to reload.

I didn't mind Dr Doak being in different spots, since the entire (successful) run only lasted 2:05 anyway. It'd be worse if it was something like 'Beat Control in 11 minutes', and you had to deal with a randomly-placed scientist at the end of the level. Not there? Your run is hosed.

Actually, just thinking of that is starting to give me some sort of eye-twitch. Ugh, Control.

Control was a nasty bastard. I seem to remember prepping the room with proximity mines found somewhere that took out the first attackers which also helped blow out some of the glass to give you a heads up to new dudes running into positon.

Nonviolent J posted:

Invincibility you nuggets

Oh ya, I thought it was more interesting than that. Maybe I'm spoiled.

Who needs memory, we have internets. Here's the list of challenges: http://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/197462-goldeneye-007/faqs/3220

All guns was a beaut, but it was necessary to learn the cycle-backwards-through-guns technique.

Cheat: Infinite ammo
World: Control center
Time: 10:00
Difficulty level: secret agent
Difficulty: ****
Coolness: ****
Comments: Very hard to get, but very cool. Watch out for drone guns and keep
Natalya alive.

I recall that challenge being quite balls.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the gamefaqs "cheat" that lets you beat people to death with your own severed arm

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Shnag posted:

Great memories of battle tanks. That tumbling tank was the best one. Saving your Goliath tank for last. And the fact you were killing each other over women was sweet too. The objective was to kidnap the other teams woman to use as your brood sow.

hosed up if true

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

A multiplayer blast corps sequel not existing is one of the great travesties of video game history

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Improbable Lobster posted:

hosed up if true

It is! It was like capture the flag, but instead of flags they were 2d sprites of women, and your base was a actual base and it was protected by a house sized tank. :black101:

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Are y'all talking about battletanx 2? Bc that's where I remember all these cool things from (including nukes and blowing up parliament)

I remember b.t.1 was a little lame and by-the-numbers

2 blew my drat mind tho

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

ProperCoochie posted:

Are y'all talking about battletanx 2? Bc that's where I remember all these cool things from (including nukes and blowing up parliament)

I remember b.t.1 was a little lame and by-the-numbers

2 blew my drat mind tho

BT 1 we rented once (from Blockbuster!) and didn't like much.
But BT2 we still pop in sometimes, though I'm pretty sure we got it used from whatever the local GameStop used to be before it got bought up by the national chain. It is a good game.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah i was talking about Battle tanks global assault. The nuke was great, you had to run from it after launching it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

When/if I finally run out of platinum games to play on the Wii U I'm so dusting off the xbox to get the PD remake cause gently caress you all for reminding how awesome that game is.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i want the old internet back.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shnag posted:

ugh, gross.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
get the remake now, complex against simulants is the best thing ever

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
On Goldeneye and Perfect Dark we used to set no score limit and no time limit and play 4 player literally all night, into morning. I kind of look back on that in awe, these days about 3 hrs at a time is the most I can game it up.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

The Time Dissolver posted:

On Goldeneye and Perfect Dark we used to set no score limit and no time limit and play 4 player literally all night, into morning. I kind of look back on that in awe, these days about 3 hrs at a time is the most I can game it up.

We used to do 'unlimited' Goldeneye when we had parties with our school friends over - when you died you gave up your controller and went and played something else until you wanted to get back in line for another turn.

One time my brother, who is a goon, racked up 200 kills over the course of an afternoon, no deaths.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
License to Kill / Pistols Only (or just Pistols Only) ruled because I could circle-strafe and screen-watch anticipate like a mf and no one would stand a chance. Also if you weren't playing LtK then I'd make a quick jaunt for the body armor while you spawned to kill any hope you may have had.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I'm doing that thing in Goldeneye where you push the c-direction buttons a bunch to make your character wave his arms around like a spaz.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

The Time Dissolver posted:

same but we also used to plow through games like ICO, too.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Always License to Kill, too, what a bitch of a learning curve.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
-10 Health > Licence to Kill cuz body armour saves you and you also survive shots to the foot / hand etc

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Homestar Runner posted:

-10 Health > Licence to Kill cuz body armour saves you and you also survive shots to the foot / hand etc

In LtK, with body armour on, you can survive one shot from the Klobb, it's THAT terrible.

Effsix
Aug 5, 2011

Keep it moving, chicken people! These knockoff purses ain't gonna make themselves!
The Perfect Dark port to the 360 is one of my most played xbox games ever although I don't think I've got as many combat sim kills under my belt as my n64 cart stats show, I should hook that up and see how killy I used to be.
I had a go on the xbox 360 reimagining of Perfect Dark (I think it was one of the few launch titles), I don't recall much about it but I know they kept the facility level in multiplayer (and they made it look pretty good). That map oughta be in more games.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
anyone here remember Vigilante 8? That game owned

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

In LtK, with body armour on, you can survive one shot from the Klobb, it's THAT terrible.
lol

Effsix
Aug 5, 2011

6 minute video of facility level evolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngf2HAP18j0
The Perfect Dark Zero version looks a bit like an aliens vs predator game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Homestar Runner posted:

poo poo yeah it did. I ended up tracking it down on Ebay a year or two ago.

Still owns.

Jet Force Gemini kicked rear end for multiplayer, too. I think it had a racing mode you could do multiplayer, but that may be my brain spitting out a buncha bullshit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Effsix posted:

6 minute video of facility level evolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngf2HAP18j0
The Perfect Dark Zero version looks a bit like an aliens vs predator game.

I realize that the player may have turned down their X-sensitivity a lot, but holy poo poo, that engine just looks like it feels horrible. Full disclosure, I played about 5 minutes of PDZ.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

license to kill, slappers only, one player was it and had to hover around on their knee to tag someone. poo poo owned

friends brother says 'I stayed up the last 2 days practicing and I'm going to kick your rear end!' KLOBBered him, no deaths. Had to turn radar off because I could tell exactly where others were without having to screen look.

a golden age of gaming

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

As a Millennial I posted:

also, battletanx

gently caress i was gonna bring this one up

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Turok 2 and 3 were real fun to play split-screen

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015

Homestar Runner posted:

Had the gameboy version with a rumble pack. Used to link cable battle people at school.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Turok 2 and 3 were real fun to play split-screen

Turok 2 was the game to show me the holy light that is 1.2 control scheme in Goldeneye/Perfect Dark (aiming with the stick, moving with the c-buttons).

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Time Splitters really tried to be as good as perfect dark and it shows. If only they had like twice the budget.

You could have a head that was literally a whale with fish swimming around it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Turok 2 was the game to show me the holy light that is 1.2 control scheme in Goldeneye/Perfect Dark (aiming with the stick, moving with the c-buttons).

it was the only way to play with that controller

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shnag posted:

flip-e was good but hovertank was the best. if you were engaging at any sort of distance the projectiles took too drat long to hit and i dont think there were hitscan weapons other than the lazer on the missile super weapon

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Bought the xbox re-release of perfect dark cuzza this thread. Am havin fun, doing pretty well.

perfect dark really is the high point of guns in video games. Nothing since then has even come close to how cool some of the poo poo in PD is. Done with your lovely gun? Toss it to the ground and it can become a proximity mine! Feel like camping? Chuck yo gun at the wall and it stick and becomes a goddamn auto turret! Can't aim for poo poo, just use the follow-lock-on mode and let your gun do it for you!

The farsight is still an unwieldy piece of poo poo, though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

gannyGrabber posted:

Bought the xbox re-release of perfect dark cuzza this thread. Am havin fun, doing pretty well.

perfect dark really is the high point of guns in video games. Nothing since then has even come close to how cool some of the poo poo in PD is. Done with your lovely gun? Toss it to the ground and it can become a proximity mine! Feel like camping? Chuck yo gun at the wall and it stick and becomes a goddamn auto turret! Can't aim for poo poo, just use the follow-lock-on mode and let your gun do it for you!

The farsight is still an unwieldy piece of poo poo, though.

you're a loving moron.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
pinball grenade spam was so loving funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

flip-e was good but hovertank was the best. if you were engaging at any sort of distance the projectiles took too drat long to hit and i dont think there were hitscan weapons other than the lazer on the missile super weapon

I guess I forgot about the hover tank, but the flip-e tank was more fun to use, and probably more common. I think the lazer was a consumable weapon too, but probably was the only hit scan weapon. There was also a cheat or feature when could use the whole stack of selected weapon at once when you pressed two buttons at once. If used it with the turret selected you would drop a group of different sized turrets. Sucks they never made an other battle tanks.

• Locked thread