Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Comstar posted:

I magically fixed all my traffic issues by killing ALL THE BUSSES.

How do I make a bus route that does not fill my roads with huge packs of roving traffic dispensers?

Yeah, there's something dumb going on with buses. I frequently see a line of them clogging poo poo up with only one or 2 passengers inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
this might be the dumbes question in the thread and im sorry guys

but how do use the power lines ? ive read some guide and I cant figure it out can you use them with turbines or what is the overall purpose since they don tseem to connect w/ anythin directly

I feel so dumb asking this :ohdear:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Meowbot posted:

this might be the dumbes question in the thread and im sorry guys

but how do use the power lines ? ive read some guide and I cant figure it out can you use them with turbines or what is the overall purpose since they don tseem to connect w/ anythin directly

I feel so dumb asking this :ohdear:

put a power line on the blue highlight of a power producing thing, then string them to a buildings blue highlight. power will transfer from building to building, so you only have to build the original power line string.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Decided to make a city using only those fused grid templates for everything but industrial. It's working extremely well actually. Next step is adding the busways.

Yes it looks like a penis and a pooping butt.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Roobanguy posted:

put a power line on the blue highlight of a power producing thing, then string them to a buildings blue highlight. power will transfer from building to building, so you only have to build the original power line string.

thank you

Google Butt posted:

Decided to make a city using only those fused grid templates for everything but industrial. It's working extremely well actually. Next step is adding the busways.

Yes it looks like a penis and a pooping butt.

ur town looks great keep up the good work
i would live there

Meowbot fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 16, 2015

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah, there's something dumb going on with buses. I frequently see a line of them clogging poo poo up with only one or 2 passengers inside.

This usually means another traffic problem when I see it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Meowbot posted:

thank you

ur town looks great keep up the good work
i would live there

All are welcome in Penisula De Culo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So what's the deal with resource depletion. I have a mining-only industrial zone that seems to have depleted the ore, but it also seems to still be chugging along fine.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Traffic is still pretty bad but things are looking a lot better in Inchun. I didn't think to get any shots but it's my most populous city (I think) with nearly 70k inhabitants. Lovely!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MikeJF posted:

So what's the deal with resource depletion. I have a mining-only industrial zone that seems to have depleted the ore, but it also seems to still be chugging along fine.

Thy could be getting ore from outside your city.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408156634&searchtext=combine+citadel

:stare:

Pick up that can.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Cities: Skylines - You have chosen, or have been chosen to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers.

I like this shot more:

Now needs large video walls of Dr Breen, random locations that have half life symbols on out of the way places, and head crabs scuttling around.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Can't wait for the full soviet cube "neukkukuutio" collection: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407011788

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Reveilled posted:

I tried making a heightmap of Glasgow using the Ordinance Survey Terrain50 data, but couldn't find a way to convert the .asc files to a png of the right size without losing the resolution down to 8-bit, which just created a ghastly mess I couldn't summon the effort to fix.

If you're not afraid of the command prompt, yout might be able to do something with Imagemagick. Just download a Q16 version to make 16-bit pngs.

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.
Seniors keep moving into my best neighborhoods and then plummeting the property value/happiness with their dead bodies.

We need an enterprising modder to create a Logan's Run city policy that gives the crematoriums a second and even more useful purpose.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Considering how hosed most public transport systems are in the real world, I'd keep it as-is and call it realism.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Is there a way to mark buildings 'historic'? I liked that feature in SC4. I have a row of riverside houses I don't want upgraded because they look cool, aswell as some lovely looking neibourhoods.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hello I've encountered a quite serious bug where I start playing and then can't stop. Please fix asap.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
The only thing that royally pisses me off thus far is emergency services responding from the other side of the city. Just recently I observed an ambulance going literally from north end of the city to the south, while there was an almost empty hospital just two blocks down from the household affected and at least another two hospitals and a couple of clinics in between. I seem to remember SC5 having a similar issue. I suppose this is a behaviour inherent to agents, but this should really be handled better by the AI. Surely it shouldn't be that difficult for the simulation to check where the closest emergency service is and dispatch accordingly.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Ihmemies posted:

Can't wait for the full soviet cube "neukkukuutio" collection: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407011788

That dude also has Soviet schools and hospitals. I have subbed to them all. loving hell this game. Also he has a UK pub building, modding...modding never stops.

I made a collection on Steam, where do I go to find it? I can only find 'my uploads'?

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 16, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Finally got a shitburg to 80k. Traffic is manageable, even. :marc:

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Hello I've encountered a quite serious bug where I start playing and then can't stop. Please fix asap.

Hmm, there's nothing listed about that bug in the first Official Progress Update that they just put out. Maybe there's a mod for that?

quote:

Greetings Chirpies!

Let me take a moment and update you on the status of things, what's going on behind the scenes and what to expect the coming time.

Bugs and issues

This has been an incredibly smooth launch, not only with sales and pickup but also technically. That doesn't mean there aren't problems at hand! We have identified a couple of core issues users are experiencing and are working on solving them ASAP. Please note that we do not promise all these issues will be fixed in the first patch, even though this is our GOAL.

These are the widest, most pressing problems. This is by no means our complete list of bugs/issues, it's simply the ones that are most widespread and important to fix. Please appreciate that we are a small team and need to prioritize, even though we of course aim to fix the smaller bugs too. CO and PDX QA closely monitor our bug forums. If you have posted in there your issue has been noted, even if there's no official response in your thread.
Black screen on start-up
Grey Load/New Game button
Save issues (corrupted saves, saves not saving, cloud not working properly)
Poor performance on high end computers (mostly Linux)

If you're experiencing any of these, please check the Release FAQ Known Issues list, as there are several workarounds posted there. If nothing works either wait for our first patch or contact support.

We're also keeping a close eye on discussions on gameplay related issues. Specifically...
Commercial demand possibly being "killed" by parks and rec.
Potential traffic AI issues/improvements
Cause/effect for workers getting to their jobs

If there are bugs causing these issues, we will of course strive to fix them. In case they are design decisions from CO that the players disagree with; we monitor the discussion and take the feedback into consideration going forward. We understand there's a lot of passion for this game and many of you want to see it grow in the best possible direction - your feedback is highly appreciated - but this does not mean we will "blindly" do everything people ask for. CO are very collected, down to earth developers. Do not expect knee-jerk balance/gameplay changes due to active feedback on a specific topic.

Bugfixing / issues patch ETA

As there have been no extremely pressing issues that need instant hotfixing (as in affecting a majority of players) we have chosen to take our time with the first patch to ensure it doesn't break more than it fixes (so proper QA time). There's currently no ETA for this patch, I will most likely get that today, but you should expect it in a not distant future.

CO are currently fully focusing on solving the core technical issues before we switch to working on the first major content update.

Official mod collections (Workshop) now live!

I've started my official curated mod lists on the workshop. They are currently bare bones in content but will be updated pretty much daily. If you want custom content for the game but have no wish to sift through the endless pages of workshop that are already there, please consider subscribing.

Official Collection: I Want It All
For users who want as much as possible (still all high quality stuff) when it comes to custom assets. Please ensure you have at least 4gb+ RAM free for the game and generous amounts of HDD space.

Official Collection: Mods & Functionality
This is the official mod collection for users that want gameplay/UI/experience altering mods.

Official Collection: Crème de la Crème
For players that only want the best, high quality, good looking assets and mods available in the workshop.

Subreddit is going STRONG

We passed 45,000 subscribers this weekend and are now ranked 850 globally on reddit, being the fastest growing non-default subreddit pretty much every day since launch.

Please consider joining this community for an easily digestable news-feed and updates on the goings-on of the other fans.

Other, misc, news / things
  • We sold 500k+ copies!
  • We'll be looking for at least one support agent (paid position) from the Cities community this week - more info on this later
  • There are several competitions going on in the subreddit, check the top bar for more info and prizes!
Thank you so much, everyone, for helping us make this happen. You're awesome.

Cheers,
John

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I love that they're calling players 'Chirpies'. :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You know, why bother with interchanges? Surely I could replace them with roundabouts?!

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Ofaloaf posted:

I love that they're calling players 'Chirpies'. :allears:

I don't. I'm not 12. He can go Chirp himself.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mackintosh posted:

While I agree with you I can't help but to appreciate a good trolling.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

mackintosh posted:

A literal :goonsay:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

quote:

We sold 500k+ copies!

drat! :stare: Already half of SimCity 2013's two week numbers, and it's been not quite a week yet. Here's hoping they keep it up and at least get close to the 1.1 million next Tuesday.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

cthulhoo posted:

A literal :goonsay:

You do realise that post was in jest I hope. I never know with you people any more.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Vire posted:

Can someone explain to me why you would ever want to use a highway ramp instead of a 2 lane one way road or something even bigger? The ramp is a single lane road I can't see any upsides to it. Or even just use straight highway to connect with the street?

Highway ramps have the advantage of letting you go twice as fast as 2-lane one ways (80 versus 40).

flightlessdog
Apr 22, 2013

Well that was dumb

SynthOrange posted:

You know, why bother with interchanges? Surely I could replace them with roundabouts?!

How's that working out for you?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

squeakyneb posted:

How's that working out for you?

Well, you realise the image is animated?

As far as buses clogging things up, you can reduce their funding globally to reduce the number of buses per route.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Highway ramps have the advantage of letting you go twice as fast as 2-lane one ways (80 versus 40).

Also, I'm not sure Cims will use both lanes of a 2-lane pseudo-onramp.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
Highway ramps own. Cars drive extremely fast and observe wildly dangerous merging. On a 3-lane interstate, with how much merging in and out I have, there always seems to be a section where all the Cims want to be in the middle lane, and it creates a terrible merge problem. Well that 3-lane interstate can be turned into 2 dedicated highway ramps, and you can spread the merge points out. The traffic will flow very fast under this configuration, and you can make a bunch of exits from your highway ramp road. If you plan it out right, you will have a highway system that never clogs.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:3:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Needs to be in the OP.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I do kinda wish that there were at least some way to customize roads/intersections. I'm not talking about light timers, but making one or two lanes right/left turn only, removing lights in favor of yield signs etc. Only being able to manage traffic on a macro level is a bit clunky at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Yeah, and adding train signals would be nice. Coming from TTD, the lack of signaling and deliciously complex rail setups and routes is killing me sometimes. You mean I can't specify an entrance and exit to the station with signals to keep the trains' paths as efficient as possible? I can't have more than one platform for a station that can allow me to service more than one train at once? Gah :gonk:

That said, that issue really only comes up whenever I'm making train routes and that's not very often at all. I haven't had issues with railway congestion despite the large number of trains that come into the city, but sparse tools to deal with the rails and roads when the options for bus routes are so excellent is a little painful.

• Locked thread