Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

LemonDrizzle posted:

UK Visas & Immigration is a good organisation staffed by smart people with excellent judgment

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-31988216

UK immigration policy is moronic, news at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Malcolm XML posted:

UK immigration policy is moronic, news at 11.

Don't worry, it's only going to get worse in the next parliament as our parties race to the bottom.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Don't worry, it's only going to get worse in the next parliament as our parties race to the bottom.
If it does I hope they bring the BNP's repatriation fund thing in and I can get money to go somewhere else.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

quote:

Ms Hirono said she was in "utter shock", adding she had spent the time at conferences in Asia and Africa.

Ms Hirono spent 270 days outside the UK in 2009-10 and 202 days outside the UK in 2010-11.

I've been in academia and that sounds like an extremely generous conference schedule. Like how is Nottingham even covering her expenses at that point? How does she have any kind of teaching load?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Fatty posted:

I've been in academia and that sounds like an extremely generous conference schedule. Like how is Nottingham even covering her expenses at that point? How does she have any kind of teaching load?

It's long, but IIRC the limit is 300 days, consecutively.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Fatty posted:

maybe she was visiting? Over 200 days absence/conference/whatever seems a huge amount for a home contracted lecturer. Even our old semi-retired profs/lecturers on the way out do more than that.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Fatty posted:

She studies china's foreign policy - specifically the way it approaches humanitarian and peacekeeping activities - so I daresay she does a lot of fieldwork in countries where China's making interventions of that sort. The article mentions trips to Cambodia, Liberia, and Indonesia in addition to the usual conference trips.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

cam'rons britane

:britain: we're number one! we're poo poo! :britain:

"East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire" is a stupid NUTS region that no-one really thinks should exist except bureaucrats during the seventies. :colbert:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

So it looks like Cameron's basically got what he wanted then? No empty chairing, he's getting his special Q&A session where there's nobody in the room to argue with him, so it's basically just a series of interviews. Good thing they changed the format especially for him, letting him back out of his own accord would have looked like bowing to political interests!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

There's no head to head with Labour but there's a Question time with David, Ed and Nick which will be bizarre.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I really have to doubt any infographic where Groningen is one of the richest regions in europe unless they included the value of the gas extracted there because the people sure aren' t rich.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

NihilismNow posted:

I really have to doubt any infographic where Groningen is one of the richest regions in europe unless they included the value of the gas extracted there because the people sure aren' t rich.

If that's the case, then why isn't Aberdeen on the rich list?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

There's no head to head with Labour but there's a Question time with David, Ed and Nick which will be bizarre.

Right but "the three leaders will answer questions separately from a studio audience but not debate directly" which makes me think of people who are in the same room but making a big show of refusing to talk to each other. I mean QT is already pretty much the standard political debate format as it is - politicians take turns answering questions and addressing things the others said, so if they're saying they won't 'debate directly' then that kinda sounds like Cameron's only agreed to do it if he gets some Alan Partridge-style contractual power over what takes place

I was going to say at least they can't ignore the audience, but they'll probably cherry pick that too so Cameron doesn't get booed to gently caress like Osborne at the olympics

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I don't know if his one was cherry picked, but Tony Blair did a Q&A thing back when he was PM and got absolutely destroyed on it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I was thinking about that one, that was a Paxo roast though, and pretty much all about Blair's unpopular warmongering - he can't really claim bias when he's the only person there. QT involves Dimbleby moving focus on to the other guests, and by its nature this will be open to arguments about uneven support in the audience and demands for guaranteed representation and the like

Can't wait for some softball questions setting Cameron up for his vapid waffling and empty cliches, met with audible applause. I bet they won't even have anyone shouting!

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

They've done that QT Q&A thing with the leaders being on separately one at a time before. I mostly remember it because it was watching it was the only Higher Modern Studies lesson I attended (I self-studied) and on the way out I slagged off Michael Howard, only for someone who had sat through the whole show to ask "Who's Michael Howard?"

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Donkey Kong? He'd get my vote.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

That's ridiculous.

Which leader would have been best suited to lead at the battle of Ypres?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Right but "the three leaders will answer questions separately from a studio audience but not debate directly" which makes me think of people who are in the same room but making a big show of refusing to talk to each other. I mean QT is already pretty much the standard political debate format as it is - politicians take turns answering questions and addressing things the others said, so if they're saying they won't 'debate directly' then that kinda sounds like Cameron's only agreed to do it if he gets some Alan Partridge-style contractual power over what takes place

I was going to say at least they can't ignore the audience, but they'll probably cherry pick that too so Cameron doesn't get booed to gently caress like Osborne at the olympics

As Milliband said on the BBC article

quote:

David Cameron is now in the ridiculous position where he'll go to the same studio as me, on the same night as me, with the same audience as me but he won't debate me head to head

It's loving absurd. The media shouldn't wield disproportionate power over the government, but this isn't some principled stand Cameron's taking, it's weaseling because he knows he'd lose in a 1-on-1 debate. I hope they pull a bait and switch and he walks onto a stage with Ed Milliband already there.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its even funnier when Cameron was the one that heavily pushed the idea of debates in the last election because he thought he could easily walk it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Send Farage back to 1415. A good chart.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

namesake posted:

That's ridiculous.

Farage dying of sepsis in a muddy hole in Belgium?

I can get behind it.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

winegums posted:

it's weaseling because he knows he'd lose in a 1-on-1 debate
Why do you think that?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
maybe they confused agincourt with the charge of the light brigade

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

Why do you think that?

Firstly because he's avoiding it. He wouldn't be dodging the debate so hard if he thought it would help him.

Secondly because I don't think he's very good at all. Even in PMQs he falls back on blustering or just saying "something something mess Labour left us" . He's a prime minster who couldn't scrape a majority together on the back of overwhelming media support, almost 2 decades of being in opposition against a tired out Labour government with an unpopular prime minister. He's a crap politician.

Thirdly, because Ed Miliband is a decent debater. The Tories and their pals in the media have worked hard to paint this caricature of Miliband as a weird nerd and whatever germ of truth there may or may not be to that, it's still fairly removed from reality and would be really challenged by seeing him debate on a show watched by millions of people. He talks to people and addresses what they're saying directly. Even the simple things he does like asking people their names, or relating questions to previous questions, is a really effective and personalising way of talking to an audience. Cameron can flick on a smile and hug a prole for a camera, but I doubt he could maintain anything resembling human empathy for a whole debate.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Longbows had a draw of 100-200lb, so you'd need a reasonably strong back to use one. Spineless men thus need not apply, which rules out Clegg, and having seen Miliband's feeble noodle arms, I can't imagine he'd be much use either. Cameron's a hopeless fatbody, so maybe Farage wins by default.

Also:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So, remember Karie Murphy, the candidate at the centre of the Falkirk vote-rigging selection scandal? She's embroiled in another scandal, this time in Halifax. This time, she failed to make the AWS.

The Halifax selection is rather interesting; Riordan's very late announcement that she's retiring was initially perceived as a snub towards local councillors Tim Swift and Barry Collins, who between them infamously lost Labour control of the council last year despite being one seat short of a majority. From the leaked emails in the Indy, that may not be far off the mark.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't remember Karie Murphy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
But which of our leaders would be best suited to take on the Moon Nazis when they return in 2018?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

But which of our leaders would be best suited to take on the Moon Nazis when they return in 2018?

Thatch

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
There's a thing on BBC Parliament right now called "Ed Milliband Event". He's giving a speech but there seems to be something wrong with the sound and I can't hear him for shite :silent:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I didn't mean take on as in invite to team up.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

namesake posted:

That's ridiculous.

That's easy, it's the rich white former public schoolboy obviously.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gonzo McFee posted:

Blair of course, Iraq was good practice and now he doesn't even have to pretend to be apologetic!

UKKKIP did have that invading EU space disc in a campaign video though... hmmm so many heroes to choose from

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Kegluneq posted:

That's easy, it's the rich white former public schoolboy obviously.

So, any of Nick Clegg, Nigel Farage or David Cameron? :)

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

LemonDrizzle posted:

Longbows had a draw of 100-200lb, so you'd need a reasonably strong back to use one. Spineless men thus need not apply, which rules out Clegg, and having seen Miliband's feeble noodle arms, I can't imagine he'd be much use either. Cameron's a hopeless fatbody, so maybe Farage wins by default.

Also:

Twitter Tories are having a go at Sayeeda Warsi over this, asking her to comment. Can someone explain the connection to Amin other than 'also Asian and is a woman we don't like because she quit over Isreal?'

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Prince John posted:

So, any of Nick Clegg, Nigel Farage or David Cameron? :)
:thejoke: (Edit: I did actually forget Miliband went to a comprehensive though.)

Actually I think they might all be too old to be the posh junior officers who did go out and get horribly slaughtered.

EvilGenius posted:

Twitter Tories are having a go at Sayeeda Warsi over this, asking her to comment. Can someone explain the connection to Amin other than 'also Asian and is a woman we don't like because she quit over Isreal?'
Well obviously only a dirty fascist would disapprove of Israel publicly. (I've no idea.)

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 22, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

EvilGenius posted:

She's really not liked in some segments of the party - seen as well out of her depth and promoted beyond her abilities. She's also had the community cohesion and faith and communities portfolios for most of her career, so I suppose if any Conservative has an informed opinion on the topic, it's likely to be her.

Personally I thought she was pretty straight talking on many of the divisive cultural and religious issues facing our country.

Edit:

Kegluneq posted:

:thejoke: (Edit: I did actually forget Miliband went to a comprehensive though.)

If you're willing to allow schoolgirls, Natalie Bennett went to an independent school as well. Don't know if she's rich though.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

If you're willing to allow schoolgirls,
How else do you expect us to beat ISIS?

• Locked thread