Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
There was once a really awesome thread with this retard defending chiropracty and then it turned out he was in school for it and couldn't identify the problem with an xray of a spine (it was a dog spine). That was a great great thread. Also it is funny when people use babies as kettlebells.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

From waaaay back, but this is pretty much all that needs to be said!

Doctors are now coming out and telling people to stop bombarding anti-vaxxers and alternative health nutters with facts, science and reason because it has the exact opposite effect. The more proven facts you tell these people, the more convinced that they are right and big pharma is out to get them. You literally cannot reason with these people, and if a chiropractor took his/her thumb and pressed down on the baby's soft spot until they damaged the brain enough to become retarded, the parent (having witnessed this) will instead blame gluten or chemtrails instead of their alternative medicine. Hell, there are people who willingly die of cancer, and will take a loving root-juice smoothie every day, and watch themselves waste away, and will still sing the praises of their witch-doctor on their deathbed.

These people cannot be reasoned with.

I mean I believe and have personally witnessed this effect but what the gently caress are you supposed to do with these weirdos then?

Zzulu posted:

first of all, chiropractors are just glorified massage people, they dont have medical licenses

also, all they do is poke the baby a bunch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrBQfjGRaiQ

you are already dead

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Blistex posted:

I'm a teacher, and got into the industry about a year after everyone realized that there are too many teachers and the number of students are shirinking (everywhere except native reserves because teen pregnancy X10).
That makes sense. I would love to hear more tales of stupidity from these guys and also I hope that you do this:

olylifter posted:

Cheap smokes on the reserve. You pick up a case of those every day and sell them off-site, you can make some real bank.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012
Sometimes we must purge something from this world because it should not exist, even if it means destroying the ones you love.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Monkey Fracas posted:

I mean I believe and have personally witnessed this effect but what the gently caress are you supposed to do with these weirdos then?

You don't do anything with them. Mother nature/Darwin does it all.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Blistex posted:

From waaaay back, but this is pretty much all that needs to be said!

Doctors are now coming out and telling people to stop bombarding anti-vaxxers and alternative health nutters with facts, science and reason because it has the exact opposite effect. The more proven facts you tell these people, the more convinced that they are right and big pharma is out to get them. You literally cannot reason with these people, and if a chiropractor took his/her thumb and pressed down on the baby's soft spot until they damaged the brain enough to become retarded, the parent (having witnessed this) will instead blame gluten or chemtrails instead of their alternative medicine. Hell, there are people who willingly die of cancer, and will take a loving root-juice smoothie every day, and watch themselves waste away, and will still sing the praises of their witch-doctor on their deathbed.

These people cannot be reasoned with.

In :canada: we just had a First Nations girl die after her parents decided to seek traditional medicine in the States (TM= vegan diet, vitamins, etc... NOT traditional First Nations medicine). Her parents blame the loving chemotherapy that she received before they took her off of it as having caused her death :psyduck:

Edit: It was actually the girl herself who chose to go off the chemo, according to the parents, but it was the parents who were into the alternative treatment.

Edit Edit: Beaten 2 posts after yours, that's what I get for posting w/o finishing the thread. Mine was PC at least.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 5, 2015

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
CPS the bitch.

Also, if she really suffered from her fairytale disease, how could she was able to pop out a live baby?

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Blistex posted:

Dead loving serious.

The principal wasn't First Nations, so he managed to "lose that part" from my permanent record before I left to go to my current School. The writeup was something really damning like, "Blistex was subjecting students to ideas that were intolerant and counter to teachings of a culturally sensitive teacher". This is also the same school where during the talent show a student went up on stage, and for his talent yelled, "friend of the family" 15 times. He was not punished and this prompted the board to release a statement saying that First Nations students and people were incapable of being racists, as racism was a trait only exhibited by European culture and people of European descent.

This was also the same school that had an elder come in to share life experiences with students and he posed the question, "Do you know why Asians and Jews are successful and First Nations people are not? . . . . because we're honest!"

My current school has mandatory, "blame sessions" where all of FN's problems are blamed on colonialism (sort of true) and during each pause of damning "facts" the staff and students will give me sideways glances. But it's ok because one of the elders said, "Blistex, it's ok, you're one of the good ones!"

Tell us more about Canada, your country is fascinating

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Blistex posted:

Dead loving serious.

The principal wasn't First Nations, so he managed to "lose that part" from my permanent record before I left to go to my current School. The writeup was something really damning like, "Blistex was subjecting students to ideas that were intolerant and counter to teachings of a culturally sensitive teacher". This is also the same school where during the talent show a student went up on stage, and for his talent yelled, "friend of the family" 15 times. He was not punished and this prompted the board to release a statement saying that First Nations students and people were incapable of being racists, as racism was a trait only exhibited by European culture and people of European descent.

This was also the same school that had an elder come in to share life experiences with students and he posed the question, "Do you know why Asians and Jews are successful and First Nations people are not? . . . . because we're honest!"

My current school has mandatory, "blame sessions" where all of FN's problems are blamed on colonialism (sort of true) and during each pause of damning "facts" the staff and students will give me sideways glances. But it's ok because one of the elders said, "Blistex, it's ok, you're one of the good ones!"

Oh poo poo, I remember you and I talking about racism in First Nations before, I hadn't heard about that stuff before, though

sexy young infidel posted:

this all rules so hard. Canada is loving stupid

it is posted:

Tell us more about Canada, your country is fascinating

These schools are run by First Nations Bands, they are exactly like Private Schools that teach their own curriculum.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Also, they are opening a third First Nations school in my board (assuming a vote goes through) because the Band doesn't think that the First Nations students are learning enough about their culture, despite the Board bending over backwards to implement a curriculum that is very inclusive and took into account the complaints of the Bands at nearby schools in an effort to have them send their kids to the provincial schools.

Anyway, it turns out that the Bands really just want to control curriculum. The two schools that have already been established have very low attendance and from what I've heard are where First Nations students who have been kicked out of the nearby Board schools go.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

donkey salami posted:

In California seen chiropractors get busted for writing prescription s for steroids. I guess they're popular for that

They shouldn't be writing prescriptions at all! They aren't doctors!

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
So how much if Trailer Park Boys is real?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Manifest posted:

So how much if Trailer Park Boys is real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxiZGlixVjc

six outta ten

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Blistex posted:

Dead loving serious.

Hahahahahahaha

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Idiootti posted:

Sometimes we must purge something from this world because it should not exist, even if it means destroying the ones you love.

OKAY, ZACH!?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Blistex posted:

You don't do anything with them. Mother nature/Darwin does it all.

See you think this but you're wrong. Look at the US and look at your point about FN birth rates.

Intelligent people are holding off longer and longer to have children, or choosing not to at all. It's the fucktard backwards trash that are breeding in droves. Darwin's theory is that the affluence of genetic superiority will beat out the inferior to breed. Due to societal safety nets and social engineering/evolution, the population as a whole MUST BE decreasing in overall intelligence.

I'm not a Libertarian, but that policy is really the only way to maintain Darwin's theory of natural selection. Otherwise we're going to have a super class and a sub class of people. Super class will rule until Sub class eventually rises up and kills us all.

:tinfoil:

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3251475&pagenumber=7&perpage=40

This is my all time favorite SA thread

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Oh wow. I live in Toronto and whenever I meet a native person they're invariably hosed up in the head in one way or another. I'm finally understanding why.

More native stories please.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

can threads be retroactively goldmined?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Monkey Knife Fight posted:

Should I report to CPS or murder all involved? tia.

No. You shouldn't because CPS will not get involved nor will they care.

Chiropractic is actually not that bad. It certainly has helped me with my spine. A lot less suffering. Its actually not such a bad idea to follow one (if you can afford it) if you have spine problems that could be fixed by it. And some of it can.

However, I personally would not recommend a week old baby to go see one. I would be way too scared. Even if it was 100% safe (and it is not), the idea of having a baby's neck adjusted just feels... horrible. Hell I don't think i'd bring a baby at all. Older child? Yeah, if it might help.

One thing to note tho: Some Chiropractors like to claim that all problems stems from a bad spine.. This is just insane bullshit on their part and anyone who has a medical issue would do well to go see a doctor before they go see a Chiropractor.

I don't know about the US or other countries, but in Canada Chiropractors have to do something like 7 years of medical school (most of it, the same classes as real doctors) to be allowed to practice their craft. Its very well regulated. I think they were even given the right to pose a diagnostic. (which they were not allowed just a few years ago)

They are not all quacks is my point.

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic_in_Canada

Dalael fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 22, 2015

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dalael posted:

Chiropractic is actually not that bad. It certainly has helped me with my spine. A lot less suffering. Its actually not such a bad idea to follow one (if you can afford it) if you have spine problems that could be fixed by it. And some of it can.

However, I personally would not recommend a week old baby to go see one. I would be way too scared. Even if it was 100% safe (and it is not), the idea of having a baby's neck adjusted just feels... horrible. Hell I don't think i'd bring a baby at all. Older child? Yeah, if it might help.

One thing to note tho: Some Chiropractors like to claim that all problems stems from a bad spine.. This is just insane bullshit on their part and anyone who has a medical issue would do well to go see a doctor before they go see a Chiropractor.

I don't know about the US or other countries, but in Canada Chiropractors have to do something like 7 years of medical school (most of it, the same classes as real doctors) to be allowed to practice their craft. Its very well regulated. I think they were even given the right to pose a diagnostic. (which they were not allowed just a few years ago)

lol

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Dalael posted:

I don't understand how someone can study the biological sciences for 7 years and not once actually research the evidence base for their own practice. Like, is it denial or something else? When you really look into the journals associated with chiropractic medicine you find that they have a vastly different standard for peer review and evidence before publication which should be a red flag to anyone studying the topic and that chiropractic theory and practice are not based on much of anything that is widely accepted in the scientific community. If it was a 2 year diploma or something, fine, but this is apparently a 7 year stream of education which presumably includes courses in basic scientific literacy. What do people actually sitting in year 4 or 5 of this 7 year course tell themselves about the efficacy of their therapy? How can someone sit so long to complete a graduate stream of education in something of such dubious scientific merit?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Present posted:

Oh wow. I live in Toronto and whenever I meet a native person they're invariably hosed up in the head in one way or another. I'm finally understanding why.

More native stories please.

"Native" is what they call themselves, it's not what non-First Nations call them.

You live in Toronto man...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dalael posted:

lol what a loving idiot.

What you're looking for is a Massage Therapist. They make you feel good and won't gently caress up your body.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Serrath posted:

I don't understand how someone can study the biological sciences for 7 years and not once actually research the evidence base for their own practice. Like, is it denial or something else? When you really look into the journals associated with chiropractic medicine you find that they have a vastly different standard for peer review and evidence before publication which should be a red flag to anyone studying the topic and that chiropractic theory and practice are not based on much of anything that is widely accepted in the scientific community. If it was a 2 year diploma or something, fine, but this is apparently a 7 year stream of education which presumably includes courses in basic scientific literacy. What do people actually sitting in year 4 or 5 of this 7 year course tell themselves about the efficacy of their therapy? How can someone sit so long to complete a graduate stream of education in something of such dubious scientific merit?

I really wouldn't know..

Like I said, I don't believe their claim that adjustment cure everything.. In my experience, it helps with back pain and that's about it. Which is why I strongly urge that people go see doctors first for any issue.

Professor Shark posted:

lol what a loving idiot.

What you're looking for is a Massage Therapist. They make you feel good and won't gently caress up your body.

I take it you have never seen one. I used to suffer awful migraines all the time (for years) and had serious lower back pains. The migraines have almost stopped within weeks of following one. Some of my vertabrae's were seriously compressed and Chiropractors helped with that at least. They can do /some/ good.

Just not as much as they claim.

E: X-rays of my spine before and after clearly show a difference.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 22, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bet a good Massage Therapist wouldn't even mind if you brought your iPod and listened to a custom-mix of bones cracking if that's what you want to hear.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dalael posted:

ahahaha you loving idiot

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Dave Concepcion posted:

ahahaha you loving idiot

I'd rather be an idiot with a lot less back pain, than a smart guy who can barely move due to mis-aligned vertabrae.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dalael posted:

This wasn't because of the chiropractor.

lol if the chiropractor examined the x ray with you

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

To answer your question, I have never been to a Witch Doctor that can potentially paralyze me

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dalael posted:

I'd rather be an idiot with a lot less back pain, than a smart guy who can barely move due to mis-aligned vertabrae.

be whatever the gently caress you want but if your retard chiropractor quack tells you he can make evaluations on spinal nerve compression using x-rays, he's a fraud and you're a sucker subjecting yourself to ionizing radiation for no purpose whatsoever

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Dave Concepcion posted:

be whatever the gently caress you want but if your retard chiropractor quack tells you he can make evaluations on spinal nerve compression using x-rays, he's a fraud and you're a sucker subjecting yourself to ionizing radiation for no purpose whatsoever

For that, I would have needed a MRI.

What it did show, was that my spinal cord was clearly not as it should be. And it was exactly in the areas that used to hurt. After a few weeks of adjustment, the pain was mostly gone. A few months after we took another X-ray and I could see that some of the vertabrae seemed less out of alignment.

As I said earlier, I really think it can help with back-pain problems. I do not believe however that it is the root of all diseases like they claim.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dalael posted:

What it did show, was that my spinal cord was clearly not as it should be.

I rest my case

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Dalael posted:

And it was exactly in the areas that used to hurt. After a few weeks of adjustment, the pain was mostly gone.
"mostly gone"? so you're still in pain then? since pain is subjective, a placebo can cause you to experience less of it if you've been lead to believe that you should.

Dalael posted:

A few months after we took another X-ray and I could see that some of the vertabrae seemed less out of alignment.

i suppose it was the chiropractor who told you what the x-rays "seem" to show?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
hey, you know what else helps with back pain and isn't drenched in worthless quack bullshit? physiotherapy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think that the guy with the "Terrible Poster" av is juts having a go at us, guys.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Lol at yet another 'chiropractic is mostly bullshit but this one guy isn't a quack and totally helped me!'

You got a good massage at best, and that was probably coincidence. You could get the same thing from people with real qualifications for less money and significantly less chance of ending up paralysed or having a stroke.

Also chiropractors aren't qualified x ray technicians. Any diagnosis you got was made up whole cloth.

I'm glad you feel better but please don't go around telling people that this poo poo actually works because you're literally putting people's lives in danger.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
When Dian Fossey was studying apes in the Congo, she noticed a distrubing thing would happen every now and then where several of the high-status females would go up to a low-status female with an infant and try to convince her to let them hold her baby. In every instance that the low-status female did, the others would take the baby by its feet and smash its head into the ground until it was dead, all while laughing and pointing at the mother. Seems relevant, imo.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Ork of Fiction posted:

When Dian Fossey was studying apes in the Congo, she noticed a distrubing thing would happen every now and then where several of the high-status females would go up to a low-status female with an infant and try to convince her to let them hold her baby. In every instance that the low-status female did, the others would take the baby by its feet and smash its head into the ground until it was dead, all while laughing and pointing at the mother. Seems relevant, imo.

lol drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

Lol at yet another 'chiropractic is mostly bullshit but this one guy isn't a quack and totally helped me!'

You got a good massage at best, and that was probably coincidence. You could get the same thing from people with real qualifications for less money and significantly less chance of ending up paralysed or having a stroke.

Also chiropractors aren't qualified x ray technicians. Any diagnosis you got was made up whole cloth.

I'm glad you feel better but please don't go around telling people that this poo poo actually works because you're literally putting people's lives in danger.

Not quite what I said. I'm not saying a specific Chiropractor isn't a wack. I'm saying that it helped with my particular case, which was misaligned disk which were initially diagnosed in a hospital. After years of pain, I gave Chiropractors a try. It was that, or pain killers for the rest of my life.

As for them not being qualified X-ray tech, its quite possible.. But here is what I found at a glance (This applies in Canada, I have no idea about other countries)

quote:

The UQTR and CMCC programs both include courses in anatomy, biochemistry, embryology, immunology, microbiology, neurology, clinical nutrition, pathology, physiology, principles of chiropractic, radiology, and other basic and clinical medical sciences.

I do feel better, and I do NOT recommend chiropractors. Why? Simple: Its not because it helped me that it will help others. What I do recommend, and have stated 2 or 3 times already, is that anyone with a medical issue should go see a doctor.
Chiropractic associations like to claim that Chiropractic solves everything, something I do not believe for one second.

For those of you that suggests Chiro's equate to a good massage, have you experienced either? A massage is much more relaxing and pleasurable. Chiro's are stressful as gently caress. Having the back adjusted is one thing.. Having your neck adjusted is scary as gently caress. I stopped going as soon as I felt my pain was more manageable. It does't hurt when they do it.. but its not a comfortable experience.

Seriously, you guys are right to be doubters. Unless you absolutely have no recourse, don't go to one. Its not fun.

• Locked thread