Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

I'm triggered by hair splitting.

Hah! See it's funny because you're mocking people who've had traumatic experiences with rape or abuse and don't want to be reminded of them. You card you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mfcrocker posted:

Sure, but not all to the same degree and to some enough to constitute a disability. Are you saying that it's funny that the NUS are making themselves more accessible to people with anxiety issues? Because yeah, that seems like a pretty decent thing to do.

We can all have a good giggle at the Tumblrite otherkin special snowflakes triggered by depictions of cheese but this seems like an entirely reasonable action to take to help people with serious anxiety problems.

I'm having a good giggle at the NUS asking a bunch of grown women to do jazzhands to pander to some people who apparently can't handle clapping, but can handle being in a big room packed with other people waving their hands like a bunch of yourformerusernames.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

You're laughing in basically the same way Nigel Farage does when he chuckles about political correctness gone mad. It's just pride, ignorance and insecurity. This goes doubly for trigger warnings too, which are the most commonplace poo poo imaginable but gently caress it, the reactionaries of the future need things to define themselves against.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Laughter is fascism.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Have people never been to a live performance or witnessed any sort of performing art anywhere?

Applause is pretty common. It's also pretty predictable. It usually comes at the end of a performance.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Ddraig posted:

Have people never been to a live performance or witnessed any sort of performing art anywhere?

Applause is pretty common. It's also pretty predictable. It usually comes at the end of a performance.

This isn't a performance though and applause at political conferences can be spontaneous and unexpected.

Pissflaps posted:

Laughter is fascism.

Ha ha, look at those people with mental health issues! HILARIOUS!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mfcrocker posted:

This isn't a performance though and applause at political conferences can be spontaneous and unexpected.

Then you should expect it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've noticed the word "trigger" has the same effect as the word "privilege", in that it sets some people off into being absolute arseholes who can just switch off their empathy when they think a person's issues are just too small to consider.

So yeah, it's essentially like Kippers getting angry about the "PC Brigade".

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Fans posted:

People don't get to pick what makes them anxious.

Society gets to pick how it responds though.

Take any sufficiently large group of people and there'll be a few people with weird issues like this. The answer isn't to replace the globally accepted way of showing appreciation with bizarre hand wobbling.

If you don't want to be applauded on a stage, then don't get up on stage and give a speech. The person (or society) won't benefit in the long run by being mollycoddled to extremes - the moment they step out of the protective NUS bubble, they'll be in for a rude shock.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Laughter is fascism.

Who'd have thought you'd be the biggest antifascist in the thread.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Who'd have thought you'd be the biggest antifascist in the thread.

I've been meaning to say - your posts have become a lot more enjoyable recently. *does the jazzhands*

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Prince John posted:

If you don't want to be applauded on a stage, then don't get up on stage and give a speech. The person (or society) won't benefit in the long run by being mollycoddled to extremes - the moment they step out of the protective NUS bubble, they'll be in for a rude shock.

I find politely requesting people not do a thing that bothers me works in real life too. Maybe Wales is just soft and I wouldn't survive outside its borders.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

nuzak posted:

Is it all content warnings that you guys don't like, or is just the ones where people ask you politely not to do the thing without you telling them first so they can help themselves

When I was little my mother used to beat me pretty regularly with a meter-stick. Leaving aside the issue of corporal punishment (it's controversial, but common enough previously to not be exceptional) the most damaging thing to me personally was not that she did it, but that she took an active pleasure in hitting me. Physical and emotional abuse were a regular occurrence in my life until social services put me into care.

Now as an adult I can't see a meter stick without associating those memories*, and "trigger" is almost exactly the right word for the reaction I get - it's a gunshot like involuntary association of that object with the emotional pain I felt as a child. Usually am able to healthily process those memories, and cope with it to the point that (I hope) nobody even realises that anything has happened.
Sometimes when I'm at home, or in any other private space and I'm not worried about making other people uncomfortable, I can have a distinct physical reaction to memories like this - I flinch, clench my fists, my muscles contract, sometimes I bare my teeth. I used to make verbal sounds - like a grunt. Its exactly the sort of reaction you'd get if you really physically hurt somebody.

And yet I still manage to navigate through daily life and working in an office where rulers are extremely common without demanding a loving trigger warning on every desk drawer. You can't hide from the world. Even if you can convince literally everybody you meet to enact your special snowflake provisions they're not going to help you get well. What could be more calculate to remind me of my own mental issues than a big label on every drawer warning me about the rulers inside? It's deeply, sickeningly self-indulgent.

*this is just a specific example, but lots of things I see and hear every day give me little involuntary pauses for reflection.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 25, 2015

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Prince John posted:

Society gets to pick how it responds though.

Take any sufficiently large group of people and there'll be a few people with weird issues like this. The answer isn't to replace the globally accepted way of showing appreciation with bizarre hand wobbling.

If you ask Seaside Loafer nicely, you could share an envelope and send all your strategic advice to the NUS at once, where they're sure to appreciate it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

nuzak posted:

gonna enjoy an intricate forensic report of the gun's quantum superposition of in mark duggan's hands and in the car and over a fence somewhere. Has the IPCC recommended that cops not be allowed to collude on their reports for days after the murder?

That would be the same IPCC that was telling the media that duggan came out guns blazing during those said days where the police were all getting their story straight. You know, leaking stories to the same press that was claiming duggan was actually don corleone.

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012
Moer like jizz hands

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

josh04 posted:

If you ask Seaside Loafer nicely, you could share an envelope and send all your strategic advice to the NUS at once, where they're sure to appreciate it.

No doubt straight into the bin I'm sure. :)

Ober, thanks for a very thoughtful post.

Edit: haha, also totally this:

Larry_Mullet posted:

Moer like jizz hands

Edit 2: Let's not just pick on clapping. Whooping is "super inaccessible" too, and jazz hands work just as well. Which they don't, because a whoop is a step up from a clap.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 25, 2015

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Students Do Something Well-Meaning If A Bit Naive: A Sign Of The Impending Collapse Of Civilisation? Continued on page 11.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Well hopefully you can see that it's quite lovely for people who don't have extreme reactions to things like that to say 'Nah your issue isn't important, we're going to keep on doing things our way no matter the impact on you.'

Since it seems to have been requested, why not agree to the request? What harm is done? I don't think the fact that other groups won't be so considerate isn't an excuse for them not to be considerate either.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aren't the jazz hands called twinkling? The only time I've been exposed to them was at an attempted vote of no confidence at Edinburgh SU, and everybody was too busy laughing at the cooked up personal vendetta on display to laugh at all the wiggling fingers.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Please could you twerk instead of clapping hands.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

namesake posted:

Well hopefully you can see that it's quite lovely for people who don't have extreme reactions to things like that to say 'Nah your issue isn't important, we're going to keep on doing things our way no matter the impact on you.'

That's how the rest of their life will run, because random members of the public won't make allowances for whatever invisible triggers there might be. They might as well suck it up now and get used to it - it'll stand them in good stead if they do presentations or conferences in their working life.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
it's kind of weird that we're six weeks away from a general election and the most interesting thing to talk about is people waving their hands around rather than clapping

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Gum posted:

Back when I was a NUS delegate (Few years ago) we were advised to do it for exactly that reason, as the NUS will quite often receive deaf delegates. I wouldn't be surprised if this was still the reason and some wires just got crossed somewhere.
This is explained quite clearly here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi8jk-lxTHg

The statements by NUS bods doesn't suggest that was the case here though. It's not really clear if the request was made by people speaking or not, but I think it's fair enough to make that sort of request known if so - these things are loving stressful to begin with so any little helps.

Basically if your conference is meant to include people with mental health issues, then asking for concessions to be made is to be expected. They're not calling for a ban on clapping anywhere outside the conference, or even within if I'm reading it right, so it's not really worth discussing outside that context.

Prince John posted:

That's how the rest of their life will run, because random members of the public won't make allowances for whatever invisible triggers there might be. They might as well suck it up now and get used to it - it'll stand them in good stead if they do presentations or conferences in their working life.
People with mental health issues should be invisible? I think you might have this back to front slightly. Why complain about an opportunity to present that does take their anxiety into account?

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 25, 2015

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fans posted:

Hah! See it's funny because you're mocking people who've had traumatic experiences with rape or abuse and don't want to be reminded of them. You card you.

If they are actually so fragile they should get off the internet and into therapy. Not go into places full of people who may not care or simply do not know about whatever triggers and foolishly attempting to garner sympathy from strangers. As with all things you either win or lose. A lot of people put effort into losing. It's a real shame.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The world can be an insensitive and uncaring place which is why I deny my family, friends and coworkers any form of emotional or logistical support in their lives because I'm not everyone in the world.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I won't say anything against the people who agreed to this request - well-meaning, if naive, seems to cover that.
The person that requested it, though?
I would never suggest doing anything actively harmful or malicious to provoke that person or make them feel bad, but here's a thing: the reason a lot of these mental issues are so completely debilitating is that they're set off by such innocuous and commonplace things, sounds, events, or objects - like me and my rulers.
We have to learn to confront these things, resolve these issues, and live healthy lives. Asking everybody to stop clapping does nothing to resolve the issues you have there; at best you're it's hiding and refusing to confront your pain. At worst you're reveling in your own sickness and using it to control others.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I refuse to install a lift at my workplace because that guy with a limp? He's just revelling in his condition. There won't always be lifts in the world and he needs to work to resolve his problem rather than have others accommodate him.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'll install a lift, but I'll make sure it doesn't go to floor 2 because that number may trigger somebody.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Well, my real world comparison has certainly been made ridiculous by your made up one.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The ridiculous comparison was you comparing a lift to people clapping at a conference.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Clarkson is sacked.

Pissflaps posted:

I'll install a lift, but I'll make sure it doesn't go to floor 2 because that number may trigger somebody.

Yeah, missing out buttons in an elevator so as not to hurt people's feelings is ridiculous and would never happen in the real world.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

josh04 posted:

I refuse to install a lift at my workplace because that guy with a limp? He's just revelling in his condition. There won't always be lifts in the world and he needs to work to resolve his problem rather than have others accommodate him.

Installing a lift doesn't force anyone else to change their behaviour. If you like taking the stairs you're still free to without triggering limp guy.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

josh04 posted:

A more apt comparison would be a person in a wheelchair demand everybody else use wheelchairs to make it fair.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kegluneq posted:

Yeah, missing out buttons in an elevator so as not to hurt people's feelings is ridiculous and would never happen in the real world.

Why would the lift have a button for a floor that doesn't exist?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
People making ridiculous comparisons is triggering to me, so could you all politely stop it so that I don't feel anxious about posting in this thread.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Why would the lift have a button for a floor that doesn't exist?
So you'll get butthurt over waving but accept a number sequence that goes 12-M-14 without question?

Edit: FWIW Chinese elevators don't have a floor 4 precisely because it triggers people, which was almost exactly the scenario you described. :allears:

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 25, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kegluneq posted:

So you'll get butthurt over waving but accept a number sequence that goes 12-M-14 without question?

Does the M prevent people from going to floor 13 or is it just a different label? They're not saying do jazz hands if you want to, they're saying 'NO CLAPPING AS ITS GOING TO HURT SOMEONES FEELINGS SO EVERYONE DO JAZZ HANDS OR ELSE'.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

If you are at the point of anxiety where predictable clapping causes you to have a mental breakdown, you shouldn't be at a conference, you should be at a hospital seeking medication. Do they also poo poo themselves when a loud car goes by outside the window? Or when someone drops a heavy box in the next room? If clapping is enough to set you off then how on earth do you make it through everyday life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kegluneq posted:

I'm not 'butthurt' about the jazz hands i think it's hilarious.

I also think it's daft to miss out the 13th floor on a building - i'm not superstitious.

• Locked thread