Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

serious gaylord posted:

Does the M prevent people from going to floor 13 or is it just a different label?

Does Jazz Hands prevent people from showing their approval or is it just a different way of doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

wish you'd all do jazz hands instead of typing all these words

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fans posted:

Does Jazz Hands prevent people from showing their approval or is it just a different way of doing it?

They can do that if they like, I believe the issue has arisen because they want to prevent people clapping, which is ridiculous.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
This is me next time i'm at an NUS woman's conference and I'm told I can only do jazz hands

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Whats next? 'We feel that people wearing coloured t-shirts may cause anxiety in some of our members, so could everyone please only wear neutral grey.'

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Does the M prevent people from going to floor 13 or is it just a different label? They're not saying do jazz hands if you want to, they're saying 'NO CLAPPING AS ITS GOING TO HURT SOMEONES FEELINGS SO EVERYONE DO JAZZ HANDS OR ELSE'.

Walk away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself, kid.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Walk away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself, kid.

Calling me a kid is a trigger for me, could you please not do it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

serious gaylord posted:

They can do that if they like, I believe the issue has arisen because they want to prevent people clapping, which is ridiculous.

No, they requested people don't clap. No one was actually stopped from doing it if they really wanted to.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

serious gaylord posted:

Whats next? 'We feel that people wearing coloured t-shirts may cause anxiety in some of our members, so could everyone please only wear neutral grey.'

T-shirts....bare....arms....oh ... god....

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Kegluneq posted:

So you'll get butthurt over waving but accept a number sequence that goes 12-M-14 without question?

It's almost as if the instinctual reaction is affirming that no, I'm not silly like this new thing which looks silly, and then everything after that is piss-weak sophistry trying to make this out to be a question of intelligence, maturity or strategy instead. The world's full of goofy poo poo for good and bad reasons and people's reaction to them is pretty much never rational in any consistent way.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

This is me next time i'm at an NUS woman's conference and I'm told I can only do jazz hands

how was it the first time?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

serious gaylord posted:

They've asked people not to, out of consideration for their speakers. And it seems to have worked out okay.

Pissflaps posted:

I also think it's daft to miss out the 13th floor on a building - i'm not superstitious.
It' s also an actual concession made to people's phobias in the 'real world' that doesn't make logical sense to other people.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Clarky Cat!!!!

30-second physical assault after a 20-minute verbal assault eh

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm glad we honored Clarkson's dismissal by having an argument about how Political Correctness has gone mad.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cerv posted:

how was it the first time?

They had a good buffet.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kegluneq posted:

They've asked people not to, out of consideration for their speakers. And it seems to have worked out okay.

So they've tried to prevent people clapping. At a conference.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

serious gaylord posted:

So they've tried to prevent people clapping. At a conference.

No, as I said they asked them to change how they applauded. AFAIK no-one has been taken out behind the chemical sheds for golfclapping.

Edit: I assume the NUS delegates are relatively sympathetic to this sort of request, so it's not an unreasonable demand.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Kegluneq posted:

No, as I said they asked them to change how they applauded. AFAIK no-one has been taken out behind the chemical sheds for golfclapping.

That's stage two.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kegluneq posted:

Edit: I assume the NUS delegates are relatively sympathetic to this sort of request, so it's not an unreasonable demand.

By asking them not to clap. Come on man its not rocket science. 'Please don't do this'.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

By asking them not to clap. Come on man its not rocket science. 'Please don't do this'.

'Or else...'?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

baka kaba posted:

Clarky Cat!!!!

30-second physical assault after a 20-minute verbal assault eh

Hmm yeah that must have been horrible to go through, good on the BBC for being able to ignore commercial concerns and ensuring safe work environments for their staff even when the cost and public backlash would be high. I give them poo poo over a lot of their coverage but it seems like they've still got a good internal attitude to this sort of thing.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

serious gaylord posted:

Sorry if you're trigged by people making polite requests

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kegluneq posted:

'Or else...'?

Well nothing. Which highlights the absurdity of the request.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

namesake posted:

Hmm yeah that must have been horrible to go through, good on the BBC for being able to ignore commercial concerns and ensuring safe work environments for their staff even when the cost and public backlash would be high. I give them poo poo over a lot of their coverage but it seems like they've still got a good internal attitude to this sort of thing.

They really don't. I'll be shocked if that guy Clarkson punched works again, or if the guy who reported it on his behalf doesn't also find themselves unemployed.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Is this like Van Halen's rider where all the brown M&Ms have to be taken out to make sure people read the whole thing and complied?

If I ever get a public speaking engagement I'm going to make everyone close their left eye throughout the duration as symmetric gaze is very disturbing to me.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gonzo McFee posted:

They really don't. I'll be shocked if that guy Clarkson punched works again, or if the guy who reported it on his behalf doesn't also find themselves unemployed.

Clarkson reported it himself. But more to the point, if the guy Clarkson punched hit him back, he should have been sacked as well.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

serious gaylord posted:

Plenty of people respond to "please don't be a jerk" without a threat of repercussions. It's called not being a shitlord.

Fans posted:

I'm glad we honored Clarkson's dismissal by having an argument about how Political Correctness has gone mad.

It does seem somewhat fitting. Got loads of people moaning about PC going mad... because someone punched a colleague at work and got fired for it :confused:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Politeness is absurd? I don't get this, do you think if you're going to ask people to do something out of appreciation for others you should always back it up with threats?

I mean, you will look like That rear end in a top hat if you're the only person in the room loudly clapping. Does that help?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Clarkson reported it himself. But more to the point, if the guy Clarkson punched hit him back, he should have been sacked as well.

Self defence is no ground for dismissal.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbf i'd really appreciate it if people would stop bloody applauding at political conferences all the time, it is really tiresome

jazz hands seems like a good way to make "spontaneous" applause too awkward to engage in

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

You have an odd attitude to self defence.

Anyway Clarkson only reported it days later. Probably knew it was going to come out somehow.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

If we ban clapping at political speaches we'll never again see the likes of when the WI slow clapped Blair.
Really want to miss out on that?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mfcrocker posted:

Plenty of people respond to "please don't be a jerk" without a threat of repercussions. It's called not being a shitlord.

Are people who clap really 'shithead jerks'?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also you'll note that they haven't actually had the balls to fire him. They're just choosing not to renew his contract on 1 April. They should have sacked the fucker for gross misconduct - that might have had an impact on his entitlement to ongoing financial benefit from the job - e.g. pension contributions for the year.

Edit: vv He probably has about 50. :( It would have been a nice statement that it was unacceptable behaviour, if nothing else.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 25, 2015

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Probably has his own private pension though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cerv posted:

You have an odd attitude to self defence.

Anyway Clarkson only reported it days later. Probably knew it was going to come out somehow.

He reported it that evening according to the papers. And since no-one actually knows what happened who's to say Clarkson didn't hit him after getting a shove? Fighting in the workplace gets all participants sacked for gross misconduct. All the reports i've read say they had a bit of a dust up with both of them scrapping.

Prince John posted:

Also you'll note that they haven't actually had the balls to fire him. They're just choosing not to renew his contract on 1 April. They should have sacked the fucker for gross misconduct - that might have had an impact on his entitlement to ongoing financial benefit from the job - e.g. pension contributions for the year.

Edit: vv He probably has about 50. It would have been a nice statement that it was unacceptable behaviour, if nothing else.

Yes, he should have been sacked for gross misconduct if he was fighting. Not renewing his contract is a yellow belly move.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pissflaps posted:

Are people who clap really 'shithead jerks'?

If you've previously been asked politely to show some consideration then yeah? This didn't happen though because people showed some decency and understanding

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

Yeah, although I think this being so high profile probably made it something they couldn't easily sweep away. There've been a lot of stories about people being quietly sidelined, and even Cameron's daughter has that producer marked. (I liked that quote he came out with, "Nancy has threatened to go on hunger strike unless Jeremy Clarkson is restored". I like it because even his daughter knows he'll abuse his power and interfere with the BBC to get what he wants)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

for real, though, there's a tendency towards people wanting acceptance and accommodation for weakness rather than trying to overcome it in general, and i don't know how i feel about that

like, i'm all about fixing structural issues so people have a fair shake, but getting upset about completely innocuous, everyday phenomena is seriously your own problem. i'm terrified of heights, but this doesn't mean i get to demand that any conference i take part in be on the ground floor or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'd applaud their decency and compassion but, well, you know...

• Locked thread