Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

nuzak posted:

if i say no, will you make sure to kick my door in and nod in my face to prove a point?

No but I might suggest that sage nodding conventions aren't the best place for you to go until you've sorted yourself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fluo posted:

Have you ever been on suicide watch

Past three months, yes. Generalised anxiety disorder can be a hell of a thing, especially when there's probably something more fundametal backing it up.

It's loving exhausting. :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Which is funny considering they teach infant school children to do jazz hands instead of clap these days.

Why?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Past three months, yes. Generalised anxiety disorder can be a hell of a thing, especially when there's probably something more fundametal backing it up.

Well I hope you didn't have to spend that time, like I did, with exbroadmoor types.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-16524108

Been 3 years now and I'm much better, hold in there.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

It's loving exhausting. :smith:

:( just keep at it and you'll get better. :(

Fluo fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 25, 2015

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

No but I might suggest that sage nodding conventions aren't the best place for you to go until you've sorted yourself out.

Can we have basil nodding, instead of sage?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Prince John posted:

I really struggle to follow the intricacies of LGBT politics, but isn't this similar to the transexual debate we had a while back, where one sex identifies as another, while others stand by and claim they're only pretending? It looks like a double standard.

Unlike gender which is more complicated than our chromosomes would have us believe race is an entirely fictional creation. You can maintain that you're literally a black woman trapped in a white man's body but the only part of it that would have any basis in anything even approaching reality would be the trans issue. I'm guessing that the issues surrounding the belief that you're another race, when race does not actually exist, is more to do with internalised issues than anything resembling anything biological.

You might aswell claim you're an orc.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

It's quiet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually a good reason.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

So Chris Evans says he is not interested in replacing JC on Top Gear. A good move as I doubt he wants to be grumpy racist 13 times a year.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

So Chris Evans says he is not interested in replacing JC on Top Gear. A good move as I doubt he wants to be grumpy racist 13 times a year.

They should get Alan Partridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YllyBr_4Kxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpgA3Mttx1M

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

re: race and gender:

gender is a high-level ideological concept based off of sex, which is a Real Biological Thing - both "man" and "woman" are unquestionably valid categories (they may or may not be the only valid sexual categories, but they are valid)

so, gender roles are built on objective realities. some people genuinely don't see themselves as belonging to the gender corresponding to their sex, and so should probably be met with measures helping this out. there's a lot of biological weirdness around transgenderism, but there are at least some neurological indications that some people literally have central nervous systems with gender-dimorphic features belonging to the opposite sex to which they are born.

race is pure identity. it's something we make up and then construct our definitions to justify after the fact. it is a rubbish concept. so when someone claims to be another race, it's purely grabbing another identity

this is also why it's totally ok to make fun of super-weird paraphilias and otherkin etc and not, like, gay people

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Sickle cell anemia is a social construct

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

V. Illych L. posted:

this is also why it's totally ok to make fun of super-weird paraphilias and otherkin etc

This is all I was waiting to hear, now where was that person claiming to be a dragon.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
black people and white people are actually the same colour and it's just that white gold / blue black dress thing what causes us to see people as different colours

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

African AIDS cum posted:

Actually it's a mutated gene which can be carried by anyone but only has an effect when both parents pass it on, thus making it predominantly appear in African and Carribbean people due to genetics and maths.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

StoneOfShame posted:

This is all I was waiting to hear, now where was that person claiming to be a dragon.

*raises claw*

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

namesake posted:

Actually it's a mutated gene which can be carried by anyone but only has an effect when both parents pass it on, thus making it predominantly appear in African and Carribbean people due to genetics and maths.

What about Tay-Sachs

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

V. Illych L. posted:

race is pure identity. it's something we make up and then construct our definitions to justify after the fact. it is a rubbish concept. so when someone claims to be another race, it's purely grabbing another identity

If it's entirely made up and purely a matter of personal identity why is it less valid for some people to identify as black than others? How do we decide who is authentically black (and what gives us the authority to legitimately do so)?

Most importantly, is Coohoolin a True Scotsman or not?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

StoneOfShame posted:

That's all of you, you're dragon this discussion out.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

African AIDS cum posted:

see, this is what i'm talking about by constructing the definition of race after the fact

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Clarkson chat: had the BBC terminated their contract with him, would they have to pay him a severance package? If so, I can see why the BBC wants to simply run the clock out on the contract (especially considering it's only a week).

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I can't wait to see a Filipino win the 100 meter sprint at the olympics. Mathematically we are due.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

racial realism itt

what would you say is the general biological definition of "race", forums poster african aids cum

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

big scary monsters posted:

Most importantly, is Coohoolin a True Scotsman or not?

No, he's Anglo-Swiss-American.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Delusibeta posted:

Clarkson chat: had the BBC terminated their contract with him, would they have to pay him a severance package? If so, I can see why the BBC wants to simply run the clock out on the contract (especially considering it's only a week).

I don't think they terminated his contract they're just not renewing it

edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32052736 Jeremy Clarkson's contract will not be renewed after an "unprovoked physical attack" on a Top Gear producer, the BBC's director general has confirmed.

So no severance package!

Fluo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 25, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

like, is "black" a race? is "caribbean black" a race?

are sephardic jews and arabs racially different? what about slavs, are they a distinct race from roumanians

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

like, is "black" a race? is "caribbean black" a race?

are sephardic jews and arabs racially different? what about slavs, are they a distinct race from roumanians

Yes, no, yes, yes

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

African AIDS cum posted:

Yes, no, yes, yes

so ethiopians and xhosa people are the same race, i assume

my point is it's very difficult to construct a biological definition of "race" that is consistent with your answers here which is not explicitly made up in order to conform with the basically arbitrary racial categories we're already operating with (type phrenology, skin colour whatever)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
As a white male I'd find it problematic to dismiss race as a construct because in doing so i'm also dismissing racism.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pissflaps posted:

As a white male I'd find it problematic to dismiss race as a construct because in doing so i'm also dismissing racism.

much like ur posting

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Delusibeta posted:

not if they terminated him for gross misconduct.

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

racial realism itt

what would you say is the general biological definition of "race", forums poster african aids cum

A population within a species that is distinct in some way.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

so ethiopians and xhosa people are the same race, i assume

my point is it's very difficult to construct a biological definition of "race" that is consistent with your answers here which is not explicitly made up in order to conform with the basically arbitrary racial categories we're already operating with (type phrenology, skin colour whatever)

It isn't really difficult

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

nah you're ok pissflaps.
saying racism is based on a construct doesn't mean it doesn't exist or is less of a problem.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

V. Illych L. posted:

much like ur posting

Problematic to dismiss?

Can't argue with that.

Cerv posted:

nah you're ok
saying racism is based on a contstruct doesn't mean it doesn't exist

If race isn't real then how can experience of race - upon which racism for both perpetrator and victim rests - be anything other than deligitimised?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

African AIDS cum posted:

It isn't really difficult

oh ok

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

V. Illych L. posted:

racial realism itt

Lets play a game. Do you think that name was genuinely their choice, or perhaps a name change by an admin and said forums user doesnt want to give them money to change it to something else?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Just because something is hard to do doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. If we all had that attitude Germany would rule the world and those brave Americans would have never landed on the moon, and I wouldn't have beat Metroid on NES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2klX-puUU

• Locked thread