Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maybe they could start calling The Monarch "Dr Mrs The Monarch's Husband"? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

tarlibone posted:

Combine this with the fact that the word "men" neither contains a short "a" sound nor ends with the "d" sound but the word Dr. Girlfriend says does, and it's pretty obvious: she doesn't drive mad.

This is silly - whatever the word actually is, it's not a coincidence that it's confused. "short a" doesn't mean much - the actual sound in mad is "æ" which sounds a lot like "e". d is very close to n phonetically as well, the difference is mainly whether you push air through your nose or not, combined with Dr. Girlfriend's accent and the fact that it's said very quickly means it's easy to say them in an ambiguous fashion.

peak goon yet?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yup pretty much.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is silly - whatever the word actually is, it's not a coincidence that it's confused. "short a" doesn't mean much - the actual sound in mad is "æ" which sounds a lot like "e". d is very close to n phonetically as well, the difference is mainly whether you push air through your nose or not, combined with Dr. Girlfriend's accent and the fact that it's said very quickly means it's easy to say them in an ambiguous fashion.

peak goon yet?

You make me ashamed to call myself an adult fan of a cartoon.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Jfc, it's "drive mad"

The show is not set in Saudi Arabia so Sheila driving around with a man she's not related to shouldn't be an issue.

She's not that conservative.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Are you our mommy?
I'm not your loving mommy Dean!!!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Its definitely "men" and the Netflix subtitler agrees.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
When in US history has "not driving men" been a cultural thing? I'm not being snarky, I'm being serious. I have never heard of that before and it makes no sense.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
Also there is that episode where she drives (flies????) the Monarchmobile with The Monarch and 21 to that meeting and she can't land it on the helipad so they have to jump out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ithaqua posted:

When in US history has "not driving men" been a cultural thing? I'm not being snarky, I'm being serious. I have never heard of that before and it makes no sense.

Several decades ago, men did everything.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ithaqua posted:

I've literally never heard "I never drive men" before this thread. "I never drive mad" is one of those things like "don't go to sleep fighting" or whatever that I've been hearing almost my whole life.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

Its definitely "men" and the Netflix subtitler agrees.

I got "man" from the sound of the word she said. It's not men. But if you really need some proof, you can look at the screengrab I posted earlier which came from the actual DVD. Who knows what lunatic is subtitling the Netflix version. It could be Brainulo, trying to cause trouble by getting goons to argue about something on the Internet.

Really, I don't get how people think it's "men." I mean, not driving while angry is a thing. It makes sense. Not driving men has never been a thing, as Ithaqua noted. And even if it were a thing, Dr. Girlfriend has driven men. She does it in the Season 3 finale, when she is taking her best men and the Monarch is taking his... men... to storm the Venture compound. She also flies it when they go to see Monstroso, and that's sort-of driving. And I think she's the one who drove to the homeschool prom, too.

If her character adamantly doesn't drive men, then why is she constantly driving men around?

"Maybe she just said it and they decided to let it go," some might say. To that, I ask, does Venture Bros. strike anyone as the kind of show that would just let a random, offhanded comment made by a character in an early season go ignored and unheeded because of the impracticality of actually using that comment to define a character trait of some kind later on?

C'mon. This show creates entire characters based on throwaway jokes. She doesn't drive mad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ithaqua posted:

My Great Grandmother, when she still had a license, refused to drive men places if it wasn't like to the hospital or something.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Anybody who's seen Metalocalypse on Netflix will tell you how useless relying on Netflix subtitles is. Some episodes are impeccable, while others appear to have been subtitled by somebody who doesn't watch the show trying to transcribe what he's hearing and never going back to double check.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 29, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
This show has lots of goofy poo poo that's in it just for the sake of humor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm the person who brought it up and I'll be the first to admit "men" is mistaken. As Tarlibone pointed out she drives in other episodes. Let's drop it.

The point I was trying to make is that Sheila has long been relegated to being a supporting character to men for most of this show because of the fact that she's a woman, and that still holds true even if the "mad" thing was wrong. And it was interesting that this show finally decided to tackle that and put her in a more dominant role.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

twistedmentat posted:

Are you our mommy?
I'm not your loving mommy Dean!!!

What??? :confused:

He clearly says "Are you our mummy?". The Hank and Dean in that episode are still trapped in the time-loop from Escape to the House of Mummies Part II, and Dean confused her with Mummy Mum Muggy, the good mummy Hank befriended. How could you not get this??? :psyduck:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tarlibone posted:

I got "man" from the sound of the word she said. It's not men. But if you really need some proof, you can look at the screengrab I posted earlier which came from the actual DVD. Who knows what lunatic is subtitling the Netflix version. It could be Brainulo, trying to cause trouble by getting goons to argue about something on the Internet.

Really, I don't get how people think it's "men." I mean, not driving while angry is a thing. It makes sense. Not driving men has never been a thing, as Ithaqua noted. And even if it were a thing, Dr. Girlfriend has driven men. She does it in the Season 3 finale, when she is taking her best men and the Monarch is taking his... men... to storm the Venture compound. She also flies it when they go to see Monstroso, and that's sort-of driving. And I think she's the one who drove to the homeschool prom, too.

If her character adamantly doesn't drive men, then why is she constantly driving men around?

"Maybe she just said it and they decided to let it go," some might say. To that, I ask, does Venture Bros. strike anyone as the kind of show that would just let a random, offhanded comment made by a character in an early season go ignored and unheeded because of the impracticality of actually using that comment to define a character trait of some kind later on?

C'mon. This show creates entire characters based on throwaway jokes. She doesn't drive mad.

And for the record, Brock was getting the boys' clothes so he could get their IDs. It's why the IDs are all charred when they get them in "Hate Floats."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I prefer my head canon that rusty was too cheap to buy new clothes while the old ones were still mostly intact.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

And for the record, Brock was getting the boys' clothes so he could get their IDs. It's why the IDs are all charred when they get them in "Hate Floats."

That is exactly right. And great avatar, by the way. I love Psych.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I prefer my head canon that rusty was too cheap to buy new clothes while the old ones were still mostly intact.

haha I think that's part of the reason, too. After all, you know Hank has to have 10 of those Fred costumes in his possession; he'd probably notice if one vanished.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hell, this was my answer, as I never considered he was getting their IDs from the bodies. I just assumed the fire damage was just due to a lifetime of them being killed, not that one death in particular.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Most of the VB's deaths were due to non-fire events.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Hank and Dean will never know that everyone's free to feel good.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe they could start calling The Monarch "Dr Mrs The Monarch's Husband"? :shobon:

Mr. Dr. Mrs. The Monarch.

I could see it.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
For those who've bought the season 5 bluray or DVD : what's the situation on the region locking? I know season 4 was all regions, what about season 5?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pope Guilty posted:

Anybody who's seen Metalocalypse on Netflix will tell you how useless relying on Netflix subtitles is. Some episodes are impeccable, while others appear to have been subtitled by somebody who doesn't watch the show trying to transcribe what he's hearing and never going back to double check.

That's what happens when you get sued for not providing subtitles because the subtitles are a separate license that some studios refuse to give you.

Morozko
Dec 21, 2010

Shrek is love
Shrek is life

theflyingexecutive posted:

Who cares, they got Kate McKinnon back!

Yeah it makes me wonder if Nikki, Thalia, or Dermott's grandma are going to be back or if she's simply their go to for female voices now, kinda like actress who voices Molotov and Sally Impossible used to be.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Morozko posted:

Yeah it makes me wonder if Nikki, Thalia, or Dermott's grandma are going to be back or if she's simply their go to for female voices now, kinda like actress who voices Molotov and Sally Impossible used to be.
In any case, Dermott's family certainly seems to be a safer bet than Thalia, what with Dermott himself being a regular in the show now. Thalia will probably remain a one-off character.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Morozko posted:

They desperately need female VAs anyway. I love Doc Hammer, but he should know when to give up on voicing female characters. Billy's mom was particularly awful.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

fspades posted:

They desperately need female VAs anyway. I love Doc Hammer, but he should know when to give up on voicing female characters. Billy's mom was particularly awful.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I always thought Billy's mom was voiced by a woman who was straight up doing a Billy impersonation and hitting way too close to the mark.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

fspades posted:

Hey, Hammer does female voices when they want them to be particularly gimmicky : Dr Ms The Monarch's deep voice (which must be a strain on Hammer's voice by the way, considering his natural voice) or Billy's mom voice, which is meant to sound like her son's, so I don't really have a problem with it. But yeah, another female VA would be cool. Maybe they should just kill Brock and use the money to hire a lady to voice a new regular character?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

X_Toad posted:

Hey, Hammer does female voices when they want them to be particularly gimmicky : Dr Ms The Monarch's deep voice (which must be a strain on Hammer's voice by the way, considering his natural voice) or Billy's mom voice, which is meant to sound like her son's, so I don't really have a problem with it. But yeah, another female VA would be cool. Maybe they should just kill Brock and use the money to hire a lady to voice a new regular character?

gently caress you

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

gently caress you
They could also kill Doc or Dean too. Would that be more to your liking?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

it is very clearly "mad"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_qpMoWzlBU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I was 100% sure she said "men" until i read in this thread that it was mad and went back and checked and it's clearly mad.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Men literally makes no sense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ChairMaster posted:

I was 100% sure she said "men" until i read in this thread that it was mad and went back and checked and it's clearly mad.

I agree.

TontoCorazon posted:

Men literally makes no sense.

I don't know that it does, but it just sounded like that and I never thought to question it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If anything, not driving men would be the character being less traditional, refusing to be the housewife/mom figure from the 50s who is subservient to the males around her. But it isn't men because that makes no sense.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

holy poo poo lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It was Mike's voice.