Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Zeitgueist posted:

Pulled her over for DWB and then gaslighted her and called her hysterical when she justifiably got upset.

So many layers of hosed up. :staredog:

Also don't they usually commit the police whistleblowers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Schoolcraft

quote:

After voicing his concerns, Schoolcraft was reportedly harassed and reassigned to a desk job. After he left work early one day, an ESU unit illegally entered his apartment, physically abducted him and forcibly admitted him to a psychiatric facility, where he was held against his will for six days.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/nyregion/whistle-blower-police-officer-had-backup-secret-recordings.html?_r=0

quote:

The decision to take him to the hospital was made solely by armed men who happened to be his superior officers in the Police Department with a vested interest in shutting him up.

For more than a year, Officer Schoolcraft had been collecting information about what appeared to be illegal arrests and manipulation of crime statistics in the 81st Precinct, in Brooklyn. Along the way, he secretly recorded orders from supervisors to lock up people without cause. He also documented cases in which armed robberies were classified as “lost property” cases. A few weeks before he was seized in his home, he met with investigators for the Internal Affairs Bureau and told them about what he had uncovered. He began recording after his bosses accused him of loafing because he was not meeting their goals for arrests and summonses.

To date, neither Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg nor Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly have publicly discussed why Officer Schoolcraft was thrown into a psychiatric ward.

“Recording devices, and everything else,” Chief Marino said. “So he’s playing a game here. Cute.”

In fact, another recorder, on a bookshelf, was still running. “It didn’t have to be like this,” Chief Marino is heard saying.

At that moment, the lawsuit charges, the chief had his boot on Officer Schoolcraft’s face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
User your imagination! For example, a taser can be useful if you want to claim you forgot which holster it was in after you execute a handcuffed suspect.

(reminder that the person who did this is already out of prison)

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Woozy posted:

User your imagination! For example, a taser can be useful if you want to claim you forgot which holster it was in after you execute a handcuffed suspect.

Yeah well prone handcuffed suspects can be very dangerous. Tasering is the only way to be sure.

I mean there's several instances I can remember where they were totally going for a guys gun and ended up dead.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Every year the same apologists run and hide when we shift from philosophy and highschool gotcha debate to actual videos, images, and recent history.

And people wonder why cops hate cameras.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Zeitgueist posted:

I still don't understand what scenario you're supposed to use a taser, in practice(not theory). Almost every situation I would have used a taser ends up being used to justify a shooting, and it looks an awful lot like they are mainly used to punish people who are no real threat.

Well, the Taser was originally developed to be an alternative to lethal force, but most police departments seem to deploy it as a compliance tool - and, sadly, Taser themselves provide no guidance on its intended use (going so far as to say that LEAs should come up with their own guidelines on its acceptable applications).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zeitgueist posted:

I still don't understand what scenario you're supposed to use a taser, in practice(not theory). Almost every situation I would have used a taser ends up being used to justify a shooting, and it looks an awful lot like they are mainly used to punish people who are no real threat.

Well um, reality seems to be a pretty good indicator. They are obviously used as step one in the escalation of force. With step zero being "initiate the encounter."

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zeitgueist posted:

I think the reasonable place for the Taser in practice would be against someone violently resisting without a weapon or someone with a blade in a standoff situation.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think the reasonable place for the Taser in practice would be against someone violently resisting without a weapon or someone with a blade in a standoff situation.

Yes in theory.

In practice, a philips head gets you shot. Being on the ground, immobile, and handcuffed also gets you shot gets you potentially tased.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Are there any big differences between this shooting and the one where the cop shot a facedown guy in the back at the BART station several years ago? Other than the fact that this time, the guy they shot was white, of course. That guy just got Involuntary Manslaughter

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blunt for century posted:

Are there any big differences between this shooting and the one where the cop shot a facedown guy in the back at the BART station several years ago? Other than the fact that this time, the guy they shot was white, of course. That guy just got Involuntary Manslaughter

In this case, there is no accident claim. If this was CA, short of an NG, the lightest she could probably get in vol man. An NG is possible though because she's a cop, as Kelly Thomas taught us.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Different jurisdiction.

Apparently the population of Hummelstown, PA gives more of a poo poo about the police murdering people.

nm posted:

In this case, there is no accident claim. If this was CA, short of an NG, the lightest she could probably get in vol man. An NG is possible though because she's a cop, as Kelly Thomas taught us.
Killing a black guy in a black neighborhood and then getting a jury with no black people on it helps a lot too.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 25, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah well prone handcuffed suspects can be very dangerous. Tasering is the only way to be sure.

I think it was established earlier in this thread that anyone in taser range is too dangerous to be tasered and should be shot.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Killing a black guy in a black neighborhood and then getting a jury with no black people on it helps a lot too.

They literally moved the trial hundreds of miles away.

Also getting an all-white anything in LA, outside of maybe Beverly Hills, is a feat.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Speaking of NYPD, I came upon this gem from an officer while browsing the NYC subreddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comments/305xna/philadelphia_cops_shoot_and_kill_people_at_6/

Fast05GT posted:

Exactly. 99% of police shootings are justified. Pointing a firearm at a cop or another person, shooting at the police or another person, coming at a cop with a knife or a baseball bat or hammer, assaulting then to the point of rendering then unconscious, trying to run them over with a car, etc. All lawful reasons to get shot by the police. You cannot expect to do any of these things and not get shot.

Even the 1% of shootings which may not "look good" the someone not trained in law enforcement, are still justified. There comes a point where it's either the cops life or the guy trying to kill the cop. Everyone is extremely critical sitting at home on their computer or watching the news, probably because they have never had to experience those moments of sheer terror. No one wants to take a life, but if you're gonna try to take mine, you're going down first.

:allears:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

They literally moved the trial hundreds of miles away.

Also getting an all-white anything in LA, outside of maybe Beverly Hills, is a feat.
Let us not forget the old standby Simi Valley. (For when you desperately need a just-out-of-LA all white jury.)

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Lucca Blight posted:

Speaking of NYPD, I came upon this gem from an officer while browsing the NYC subreddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comments/305xna/philadelphia_cops_shoot_and_kill_people_at_6/

:allears:

I don't understand why people who are so terrified of being hurt sign up for the only job they can get where you might realistically get shot at while you are at work. If you don't want to be in a dangerous situation and would rather shoot up a room full of people than die for the common good, why are you offering to protect and serve?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nm posted:

My "favorite" part of excessive force cases is when the officer keeps tasing and tasing a person because they won't comply. I'm not sure they understand how the nervous system works and how a big jolt of electricity can prevent someone from doing what you're yelling as you tase him.

you would think being tazed as part of their tazer training would make this clear, but obviously not. maybe cops should be tazed, then yelled at to do a pushup and tazed again when they fail to comply to get it through their skulls

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I don't understand why people who are so terrified of being hurt sign up for the only job they can get where you might realistically get shot at while you are at work. If you don't want to be in a dangerous situation and would rather shoot up a room full of people than die for the common good, why are you offering to protect and serve?

I think police training and culture does a decent amount of this after they join. There's a lot of reinforced notions that everyone is out to kill them and working in that environment it becomes reality that they have to be thankful for every day they make it home alive.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Condiv posted:

you would think being tazed as part of their tazer training would make this clear, but obviously not. maybe cops should be tazed, then yelled at to do a pushup and tazed again when they fail to comply to get it through their skulls

There are plenty of places where you get maced and tazered and then you have to fight against others, obey orders and hop through obstacles.

It usually doesn't go well.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I imagine it's harder to claim that you totally intended to draw your taser, no, seriously, when it's already in your hand and in use. If that's not an option there aren't really any excuses left that you can give.

Unless he was secretly a disguised sectoid commander. She must have run out of arc thrower uses and was forced to shoot him to prevent him from mind controlling anyone. She deserves a medal.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Larch posted:

I imagine it's harder to claim that you totally intended to draw your taser, no, seriously, when it's already in your hand and in use. If that's not an option there aren't really any excuses left that you can give.

Unless he was secretly a disguised sectoid commander. She must have run out of arc thrower uses and was forced to shoot him to prevent him from mind controlling anyone. She deserves a medal.

Far as America is concerned "I am a police officer and decided that person should die" is more than enough. The reason could be "I didn't sleep well last night and was having a bad day so I literally murdered somebody" and America would be like "Ok, thanks for your service!"

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

The Larch posted:

This is tangential to your point, but here's an interesting thing about Tasers: they're typically holstered on the opposite hip from the handgun, and they're also ~1/3 as heavy as a loaded Glock 17! :engleft:

Y'all probably already knew that though

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

This is tangential to your point, but here's an interesting thing about Tasers: they're typically holstered on the opposite hip from the handgun, and they're also ~1/3 as heavy as a loaded Glock 17! :engleft:

Y'all probably already knew that though

Generally an entirely different grip as well, and sometimes colored extremely brightly.

All things to prevent precisely that kind of mistake.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
And they have a manual safety, which by definition means if you make it ready to fire, you know you are not using a Glock.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

So, pretty much any cop who shoots an unarmed, possibly restrained, person and claims they "thought they were using their taser" is either straight up lying and expects everyone to believe it because it came from a cop, or the police are so poorly trained they can't even be bothered to look at/feel the device before using it on someone, which would explain the abysmal accuracy rate that police are known for.

I'm inclined to believe both :smith:

blunt for century fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 31, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm inclined to believe that any lawyer will advise their client to come up with an explanation other than "I don't know what happened" when being investigated for a shooting.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

So, pretty much any cop who shoots an unarmed, possibly restrained, person and claims they "thought they were using their taser" is either straight up lying and expects everyone to believe it because it came from a cop, or the police are so poorly trained they can't even be bothered to look at/feel the device before using it on someone, which would explain the abysmal accuracy rate that police are known for.

A lot of the time? Probably. But mistakes are still very much a possibility. All these things about different colored handles and so on are true but here's the thing- the science of psychology tells us that in these situations the brain isn't really "thinking". Just look at how lovely eyewitness reports are to understand this. It's also very hard to train for these things, it's just too hard to replicate the psychology and there's too many slightly different ways a situation can occur. The military has some success in this area but it takes incredible amounts of time and money.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The simplest solution is to disarm the police, or segregate between arresting officers and armed officers.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

"In the heat of the moment sometimes it's you or the guy handcuffed on the ground and sometimes mistakes are made you don't understand!" :negative:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
One good thing about RT is that they delight in covering things US media likes to skimp on. Their propagandist drive is a decent counterbalance to ours with some of these stories.

http://rt.com/usa/245725-philadelphia-racketeering-conspiracy-trial-begins/

quote:

In the trial for six ex-Pennsylvania narcotics officers accused of conspiracy, robbery, extortion, kidnapping and drug dealing during a six-year racketeering scheme, opening statements began with a verbal sparring match between the lawyers.

The former Philadelphia police officers were charged with committing a variety of crimes between February 2006 and November 2012, among them beatings, threatening to shoot suspects, busting into homes without warrants to steal drugs and money, and the distribution of narcotics.

The case began when the FBI started to investigate Philadelphia’s Narcotics Field Unit and conducted two undercover sting operations, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported. Walker was nabbed during the second sting, and began to cooperate with the federal investigators, telling them of cases where he and the other officers stole money or drugs, physically abused suspects or committed other crimes.

In one instance, the officers allegedly held a drug suspect over a balcony railing of an 18th-floor apartment during an interrogation. In another case, the six officers kidnapped a drug suspect and held him in a hotel room for days while making threats to his family, federal prosecutors said, adding that the officers often attempted to cover their activities by falsifying police reports.

The six men are also the subjects of at least 81 federal lawsuits filed between November 2011 and August 2014, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

Team cop-defense has a really good story though:

quote:

McMahon lambasted the government’s 19 primary witnesses, calling them "trashy," "disreputable," "greedy," "sociopathic" and "odoriferous," among other descriptions.

"If you have 19 bags of trash," he told jurors, "you don't have better trash. You just have a pile of trash."

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
It's amazing how the mugshots are basically pigs.jpg.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

tsa posted:

A lot of the time? Probably. But mistakes are still very much a possibility. All these things about different colored handles and so on are true but here's the thing- the science of psychology tells us that in these situations the brain isn't really "thinking". Just look at how lovely eyewitness reports are to understand this. It's also very hard to train for these things, it's just too hard to replicate the psychology and there's too many slightly different ways a situation can occur. The military has some success in this area but it takes incredible amounts of time and money.

Then take the time and spend the money. We are giving someone a gun and the authority to decide if it's justifiable to kill someone. If they can't be trained to be able to react to situations other than 'poo poo pants, pull trigger' they get a desk job or get to be a traffic cop.

There will always be errors in judgement or over reactions but 'it's hard' is not an excuse to give a gun to people like that cop who ventilated the kid with the toy gun (I can't even remember his name right now there's been so loving many of these). The fucker actually cried at the gun range and had multple supervisors report he can't handle stressful situations but someone still armed him and sent him out into the public. Or that fatass cop at the earlier Ferguson demonstrations that was waving his rifle around anyone who looked at him even though all they were doing was walking past him (at least he got suspended if memory serves) People whine about how dangerous and hard it is to be a cop but rarely if ever seem to be outraged that were putting people who can't handle that danger out there anyway.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
:ohdear: "I was stressed and trying to get to work and doing 50 in a 45."

:cop: "No problem! Accidents happen and I certainly dont want to take two days pay from you!"

A thing that no one expects to happen.

But shoot a restrained kid in the back of the head because "WOOPS!" ... Hey man we feel bad for you now. Killing restrained kids is rough! Here have a tax-funded vacation.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FRINGE posted:

:ohdear: "I was stressed and trying to get to work and doing 50 in a 45."

:cop: "No problem! Accidents happen and I certainly dont want to take two days pay from you!"

A thing that no one expects to happen.

Actually if the speeding guy is a cop it does.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Toasticle posted:

Then take the time and spend the money. We are giving someone a gun and the authority to decide if it's justifiable to kill someone. If they can't be trained to be able to react to situations other than 'poo poo pants, pull trigger' they get a desk job or get to be a traffic cop.

Who is going to pay for it? Regular force-on-force classes aren't cheap, and are going to difficult to justify in the context of limited budgets when most police will never fire their guns outside the range.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Who is going to pay for it? Regular force-on-force classes aren't cheap, and are going to difficult to justify in the context of limited budgets when most police will never fire their guns outside the range.

Well, if proper training is too expensive and most officers will never fire their weapons, then the solution is obvious - we should disarm patrolmen so that they only carry nonlethal weapons (such as a taser) and restrict firearms to special armed response units that can be called in as backup if required. This way we won't have to worry about under-trained officers mishandling their equipment and killing people, and the training budget for firearm response can be focused on the special units, allowing them to reach a much higher level of training than anyone currently achieves.

There will probably be additional savings because not every officer will need to be armed or receive range time with a gun, communities will be more comfortable with officers knowing they aren't a bad-training-incident away from death, and the officers receiving weapons training will be more competent and effective when deployed against armed threats instead of children. A solid improvement.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Figure out how many officers you CAN afford to train, and sell the guns of all the officers you can't. If they aren't properly trained they really shouldn't have them in the first place, especially if most officers never fire their gun outside the range. Win/win?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Dead Reckoning posted:

Maybe they could sell some of their Homeland Security toys? Seems like there is always money for that bullshit.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
So officers would be allowed to keep and bear arms as private citizens, but not while on duty? Do you think that officers having less capacity for force than the people they are supposed to police might be a problem? If faced with a school shooter or armed robber, would officers need to wait for the firearms unit, even though rapid action can often save lives?

Spun Dog posted:

Maybe they could sell some of their Homeland Security toys? Seems like there is always money for that bullshit.
It wouldn't be much money. All the homeland security stuff is provided at little cost, having been already bought, paid for and used by the federal government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Dead Reckoning posted:

It wouldn't be much money. All the homeland security stuff is provided at little cost, having been already bought, paid for and used by the federal government.

I know. There's never money for anything that they don't want to do, is there? Body cameras, rape kits, ethics classes...no problem on the MRAP though, it's a bargain.

• Locked thread