Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

What is the best way to knock off shields? Ultra strikes on top of the portal?

Low level bursters work if you are out of ultra strikes. I have friends who always have about 200 or more ultras and I'm lucky if I can get 10 after farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Barrista posted:

Low level bursters work if you are out of ultra strikes.

My whole item loadout is out of whack. I'm less than 100k to L8 and have a decent chunk of L8 gear waiting for me, as well as lower tier stuff. But because lower-tier stuff doesn't pack as much punch, you need to keep more of it around. Which means I tend to run into that 2000 item limit a lot.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Item storage characters are common. A lot of people won't admit it, but they're a thing.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Heh, yeah. If you do cross faction meet up, and want to start a bunch of drama and possibly a war, ask folks to log out, and show you what other accounts they have logged in. Holy poo poo what a mess.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Honestly stuff like that deepens my immersion. All that cyberpunk hack jockey playing-both-sides bullshit is so neuromancer it's awesome to experience "IRL"

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

godzirraRAWR posted:

Heh, yeah. If you do cross faction meet up, and want to start a bunch of drama and possibly a war, ask folks to log out, and show you what other accounts they have logged in. Holy poo poo what a mess.

iOS users, go to the Gmail app and clear your alt accounts from "Manage Accounts" before going to a big meetup. They'll also be cleared from Ingress and save you from all of this drama.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The best thing I ever did in my relatively short time playing Ingress was totally gently caress up a local op (for my side). The guy that was planning the op was a total douche bag that is primarily the reason I quit playing. He spent roughly 3 weeks planning a massive op, and the linchpin of his op was a park called Geezer Park that has about 10 to 12 pretty clustered portals. I had friends on the Resistance side and I told him "You should get some people and go to Geezer Park Friday night at 7pm." The comms were hilarious because everyone was too busy accusing each other of being moles that I (a well respected Enlightened member) was not ever suspected. But this is the reason why people are so paranoid about who they let into their groups, I played the long game and it was totally loving worth it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SalTheBard posted:

The best thing I ever did in my relatively short time playing Ingress was totally gently caress up a local op (for my side). The guy that was planning the op was a total douche bag that is primarily the reason I quit playing. He spent roughly 3 weeks planning a massive op, and the linchpin of his op was a park called Geezer Park that has about 10 to 12 pretty clustered portals. I had friends on the Resistance side and I told him "You should get some people and go to Geezer Park Friday night at 7pm." The comms were hilarious because everyone was too busy accusing each other of being moles that I (a well respected Enlightened member) was not ever suspected. But this is the reason why people are so paranoid about who they let into their groups, I played the long game and it was totally loving worth it.

Green is more fun on the other side of the stateline.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

eddiewalker posted:

Green is more fun on the other side of the stateline.

That sounds positive, because 2 years ago in KC it was horrible.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SalTheBard posted:

That sounds positive, because 2 years ago in KC it was horrible.

We outnumbered, but rag-tag and scrappy.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Don't know if it's Australia's notoriously lovely technological infrastructure or what, but I tried to hack a bus stop today while sitting at that bus stop and it kept telling me I was out of range. Samsung Galaxy S5 on Telstra, if that makes a difference.

I pretty much expected that to happen before I even downloaded the app, so I'm not exactly heartbroken.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That's entirely down to your phone's GPS capabilities, actually, unless Australia has figured out how to gently caress that up too.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Javid posted:

That's entirely down to your phone's GPS capabilities, actually, unless Australia has figured out how to gently caress that up too.

I would have thought an S5 would be more capable than most phones, but I guess not.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It isn't always logical. My ancient iphone (4) is dead on for locations, even indoors.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have the oddest issue when it comes to Ingress and GPS: it perfectly finds my location, but it sucks at determining my direction. It means using the app as a crude hands-off map is generally out of the question, and on-foot it makes me look like I'm reenacting the "You had it upside-down this whole time?! bit from Galaxy Quest.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Recently, we had a green player power up three portals that are well known to have no service at all (and have in one case never been captured before ever) and throw a really annoying field that nobody can take down. We're not sure if he rented a sat phone, found some wifi, or straight up spoofed. The "gently caress you" manner in which it was done is kind of hilarious, though: It's not enough MU to matter, it's just covering our main farm so we can't link it up.

:

I can't help but admire the effort that must've went into that plan.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

From hells heart I stab at thee!

Scipio Africanus
Dec 4, 2005

Enslave the Elephants!

Javid posted:

Recently, we had a green player power up three portals that are well known to have no service at all (and have in one case never been captured before ever) and throw a really annoying field that nobody can take down. We're not sure if he rented a sat phone, found some wifi, or straight up spoofed. The "gently caress you" manner in which it was done is kind of hilarious, though: It's not enough MU to matter, it's just covering our main farm so we can't link it up.

I can't help but admire the effort that must've went into that plan.

How long has that been up? All of the "impossible" fields I have seen have come down within a day. A player annoyed with the field always has a sat phone, a boat, a security clearance or at least knows someone who does.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Get some people and daisy chain a wi-fi connection to places like that? Maybe throw in some pringles can antennas for greater distance. Depending on the area, you might just need a laptop and a pringles can for the signal.

I could see the guy that did it renting a sat phone over spoofing. Might have been able to get it from his work. I thought he did some networking type stuff.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Scipio Africanus posted:

How long has that been up? All of the "impossible" fields I have seen have come down within a day. A player annoyed with the field always has a sat phone, a boat, a security clearance or at least knows someone who does.

It's a few days old now.

chemosh6969 posted:

Get some people and daisy chain a wi-fi connection to places like that? Maybe throw in some pringles can antennas for greater distance. Depending on the area, you might just need a laptop and a pringles can for the signal.

ios doesn't do this, but the android players tell me you can go to a spot, turn off the GPS, then rush to somewhere you get service and do your thing before ingress realizes it isn't getting location data. Something like that wouldn't surprise me (or particularly bother me since they still went to the place)

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Javid posted:

ios doesn't do this, but the android players tell me you can go to a spot, turn off the GPS, then rush to somewhere you get service and do your thing before ingress realizes it isn't getting location data. Something like that wouldn't surprise me (or particularly bother me since they still went to the place)
Yes, you can freeze your location by disabling the GPS, however it only lasts for about ten minutes before the scanner figures it out and puts you where you should be. I don't think it would do much good for capturing portals in the middle of nowhere with no WiFi signals around. It's useful if you're on the road and didn't get a particular portal key, tho!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Seems also weird that two of those portals are "Post Offices" even though from satellite view they're absolute nothingness on rural dirt roads.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A lot of post offices were automatically added based on records so the addresses may or may not be correct. The staff are also poo poo-awful at acting on invalid portal reports.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know how the game tracks the Trekker badge? I'm beginning to suspect that my number of miles traveled is low (87km or so) because I don't leave the app front-and-center and the phone screen on when I'm walking between portals. Am I right? Or does the game still count it if the game is idling in the background?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Yes, you must have the scanner open in order to track traveled distance. Android disables Location services for any idling applications after a few minutes for power-saving reasons. Maybe there's a way to work around this using a rooted device?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pentaro posted:

Android disables Location services for any idling applications after a few minutes for power-saving reasons. Maybe there's a way to work around this using a rooted device?

No, it has to be an app thing, not an Android thing. I use Strava to GPS-track my bike rides, and it works just fine even with the screen off, or with another application in the foreground. Ingress could do the same thing, but it isn't set up to. (Probably because people would leave it on accidentally, and completely drain their batteries in only a few hours.)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

You have to actually do stuff too. Like if you leave the app running for a long bike ride (which counts too) but don't hack anything, it won't count.

I know on iOS there are jailbreak tweaks to keep the app active even if you minimize it to do something else. This will wreck your battery as you might expect, though.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Is there a consensus on the optimal way to mod a portal for mitigation/damage against the opposing players?

Two turrets and a FA on a single shielded portal seems to sacrifice some defense unless clustered with other turreted portals.

I like to save AXAs unless I'm deploying in the boonies and can potentially recharge it over a few volleys. Otherwise they seem to attract ADA/Jarvis too much.

How do you guys mod while solo?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Is there a consensus on the optimal way to mod a portal for mitigation/damage against the opposing players?

Two turrets and a FA on a single shielded portal seems to sacrifice some defense unless clustered with other turreted portals.

I like to save AXAs unless I'm deploying in the boonies and can potentially recharge it over a few volleys. Otherwise they seem to attract ADA/Jarvis too much.

How do you guys mod while solo?

You're not going to prevent a portal from being taken when its by its lonesome but you can make it less attractive. High level (7+), full mods (basic shields are fine for this) and links. Links add to a portal's defense rating as well. High dollar mods such as AXA's, VR shields, turrets and FA's are more effective in portal clusters as the attacker takes damage from multiple sources making a nuke and pave a much more intensive ordeal. Portals in the boonies are best used as anchor points for kiting clusters and higher MU counts for populated areas you're kiting. It's trivial to strip the mods from a lone portal with ultra strikes and a cube or two.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The optimal defensive loadout in my opinion is two rare shields, a force amp, and a turret. A linked-up farm of this is a bitch to take down, though nothing is invulnerable.

Putting four AXAs on something would be pretty hilarious, but too expensive unless an event win hinged on it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Javid posted:

The optimal defensive loadout in my opinion is two rare shields, a force amp, and a turret. A linked-up farm of this is a bitch to take down, though nothing is invulnerable.

Putting four AXAs on something would be pretty hilarious, but too expensive unless an event win hinged on it.

At that point it's just going to get virus traded every hour.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

At that point it's just going to get virus traded every hour.

There was a portal near me, a mural of a moon and stars which is now a blank wall, and at one point there were four axas on it. Held for a week of constant daily assaults several times a day. While the portals around it would be levelled by x8-fire, our mighty fortress and its links preventing them from hooking up their conquests.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I just started playing and I've got some nodes that I'd like to link, but before I walk out in the rain to capture them I wanted to know if your link lines could intersect friendly link lines and still form an MC field.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

squidflakes posted:

I just started playing and I've got some nodes that I'd like to link, but before I walk out in the rain to capture them I wanted to know if your link lines could intersect friendly link lines and still form an MC field.

No, links cannot cross other links.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No, links cannot cross other links.

Amusingly enough, a player in my town did just that today. Obviously some kind of weird bug, but it was so surreal to see

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 10, 2015

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It can happen if two people throw at the same time but it's unlikely.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

We got one of those locally yesterday. Something was going on with the servers.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Brawnfire posted:

Amusingly enough, a player in my town did just that today. Obviously some kind of weird bug, but it was so surreal to see

Around here they're called ghost links, and I'm given to understand it's normally a client/server desync thing? Like if two players are both standing in the same spot, one might see crossing links and one might not.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Possibly. Here's what it looked like on Intel, which is stranger still because this shows no formed fields whereas scanner does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

This is what the nearby one looks like. The link has been up for almost 24 hours I believe. Not just a ghost link.

• Locked thread