Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Is it just me or is the soundtrack really reminiscent of the music in TES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Gridlocked posted:

Why is it so hard to choose between Kolsc and Raedric?

Kolsc seems like a bastard who is getting me to toss Raedric out using his recent actions as justification so he can claim the throne

But Raedric is at least a man who knows the stakes and is trying to save his land, though the cost is great he bares it willingly
The short answer is that it doesn't matter! The long answer is that Raedric isn't trying to save his land, he's psychotic and is lynching random people until he finds a golden ticket that doesn't exist

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Tabletops posted:

I'm not sure how anyone can read / see Raedric's actions and deem him anything but a paranoid bloodthirsty tyrant.

Yeah, he's loving bonkers.

Is there any way to kill Raedric's ghost/zombie/whatever and put another new guy in his place? The ending slides made it sound like I could've maybe found a successor.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Gridlocked posted:

Kolsc seems like a bastard who is getting me to toss Raedric out using his recent actions as justification so he can claim the throne

But Raedric is at least a man who knows the stakes and is trying to save his land, though the cost is great he bares it willingly

Gilded Vale's hanging tree is pretty much all the argument you need, IMO.

Tabletops posted:

I'm not sure how anyone can read / see Raedric's actions and deem him anything but a paranoid bloodthirsty tyrant.

Yup, exactly.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Gridlocked posted:

I found the choice to be pretty easy since one slit his wife's throat and sits on his throne clutching the bloody dagger while leaving her in his bed because he's loving crazy and paranoid.

Edit: Wow, that's a lot of people with well developed decision making skills.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Raedric: Not that it matters in the end, seeing as they both end up dead (UNDEAD UNDEAD UNDEAD)

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Twin Elms, Berath quest, is there any way to kill the Dwarf without aggroing all of Blood Sands? From the options available I'm guessing no.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Davoren posted:

Twin Elms, Berath quest, is there any way to kill the Dwarf without aggroing all of Blood Sands? From the options available I'm guessing no.

Nah, not that I could find. It won't piss off the rest of the Elms, though, they're a separate reputation faction.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I found the choice to be pretty easy since one slit his wife's throat and sits on his throne clutching the bloody dagger while leaving her in his bed because he's loving crazy and paranoid.
A look at Gilded Vale's prominent hanging tree should probably be enough to convince anyone that Raedric is not a cool guy, but then he just piles on more. Religious zealotry, employing the really bad kind of animancer that has mercenaries snatch people off the road to experiment on (partly redeemed by zombie cat), murdering his own wife and newborn child, overall insanity, employing that rear end in a top hat that welcomes you to Gilded Vale... Kolsc can't be any worse than this.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Are paladins okay for trying that solo achievement or is the damage output going to be too low?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wizard Styles posted:

A look at Gilded Vale's prominent hanging tree should probably be enough to convince anyone that Raedric is not a cool guy, but then he just piles on more. Religious zealotry, employing the really bad kind of animancer that has mercenaries snatch people off the road to experiment on (partly redeemed by zombie cat), murdering his own wife and newborn child, overall insanity, employing that rear end in a top hat that welcomes you to Gilded Vale... Kolsc can't be any worse than this.
I'd rather have a greedy rear end in a top hat than someone who kills people just because, viva la corporatism

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Vehementi posted:

Depends on the context really. "I won't let you help me because you helped those other guys with an unrelated non conflicting thing already" is lazy. Branching content like "you nuked this city so you can't go there" would be in line with what you're saying though.

Lmfao. No.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

LibbyM posted:

Are paladins okay for trying that solo achievement or is the damage output going to be too low?

early on someone said they managed to get to the last boss doing triple crown with a paladin. I don't know if it was true, but the relative invulnerability of a paladin with a shield and high defenses from close alignment with his order seems reasonable.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why is it lazy. If they already wrote the quest, and something organically prevents you from doing it then that's not lazy at all. Nuking a city is a funny example because it's like shallow bioware moustache twirling evil crap that made Fallout 3 the Definitive Fallout 3D experience.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
What's the best way to build an offensive paladin?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So, Twin Elms, Sacrificial Legacy

Is there a way to complete this quest and get it out of my quest log without doing what this guy wants? Because gently caress him.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
So I got a thing happening in my keep on turn 13. How do you advance turns in your keep? Spent plenty of time dying "adventuring" in the endless paths and kept building poo poo in my keep but im still on the same turn.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

So, Twin Elms, Sacrificial Legacy

Is there a way to complete this quest and get it out of my quest log without doing what this guy wants? Because gently caress him.

Try walking out of the tent and his son should offer you an alternative.

lalaland posted:

So I got a thing happening in my keep on turn 13. How do you advance turns in your keep? Spent plenty of time dying "adventuring" in the endless paths and kept building poo poo in my keep but im still on the same turn.

Do quests. Each stage in a quest advances you a turn.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

lalaland posted:

I'm not 100% sure of this myself but other people have mentioned that getting quest progress advances the turn counter. I'm not sure if it matters what quest, but try advancing something in that way.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Rookersh posted:

The difficulty feels uneven, and it's really bugging me.

I started on Normal, and while it started alright, by the time I hit the Temple of Eothas, I was just autoattacking my way through every fight it was so easy. It felt like an Easy mode.

So then I restarted on Hard, and that was good till about Raedrics Keep, where again, I could get away with basic buffs/auto attack for most fight, and I never felt in any sort of danger. It felt about what Normal would be in a game like this.

Then I started on PotD and got my poo poo kicked in because those loving ghosts can jump past the front line if they interrupt, and they spam that poo poo on Eder. And none of my CC ever touched enemies, because their defensive stats were so high I'd whiff 6 Knockdown's in a row, forcing me to blow my proverbial CC load on every battle in the hopes a single CC would hit so I could mitigate some damage. It's a challenge mode, which is fine, but I wasn't looking for one, I was looking for the games actual Hard mode.

It feels like there is a missing difficulty mode here somewhere between Hard and PotD where you have all the enemies of PotD/they have their higher damage, but they don't have defenses high enough to remove CC from the equation.

And christ, what is Easy like. Can you just solo the entire game without any problems?

I'm on level 10 of the paths on my easy mode save. I started the paths right after they opened and I only have 5 in my squad. Tanking as a barb.

The difference between easy and normal is huge btw. Between being able to solo the bear and wolf encounters have like 4 less wolves max.

That said, I feel like act 1 is not balanced around having a full party. I believe different classes and class combinations make the game way easier too. Even just switching the ranger dwarf with the chanter was a huge difference.

Also, why are people arguing about how a game makes numbers go up? You know they're going up regardless.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Here are all the prisoners I know about. Locations before the dash, specifics afterward.

In Copperlane - Nyrid the mage, who is impersonating Purnisc, some jackass drug dealer.
In the Defiance Bay Catacombs - Eorn, a fugitive from the law who killed a Crucible Knight in self-defense. You can imprison him instead of turning him over or giving him money to leave town.
In Ondra's Gift - Aefre, the woman who's trying to squeeze the Salty Mast brothel. Fight her instead of negotiating and you can take her prisoner.
In Magran's Fork - Gramrfel, the leader of a group of bandits.
In Stormwall Gorge in Act 3 - Naelde, the leader of the Leaden Key assassins that try to take you out.
In Twin Elms - Captain Esmer, if you choose not to have him killed you can keep him prisoner yourself.

I haven't finished the game yet, so there might be more. In most cases, the money you get from capturing and ransoming them off seems to be more than you'd get by selling the stuff they had on them, so the loot is only a concern if you have low security or if they're carrying something you want to keep instead of selling. (Or, in at least two cases, you could not take them prisoner because you aren't an INHUMAN MONSTER.)

lalaland posted:

Turns advance as you complete quests, because you get tax money on the turn timer and they want to make sure you can't get infinite money by just bouncing around the map using up time all day.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Wait, people are complaining that doing quests for the mafia means that the police and the vigilantes don't want to do business with you? Jesus christ. The game shouldn't have to tell you that, it's common sense.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I cannot get over the realization that Durance is literally D&D Daniel Plainview

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Basic Chunnel posted:

I cannot get over the realization that Durance is literally D&D Daniel Plainview

Well poo poo now I wish he simply had a kicking rad moustache.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

idonotlikepeas posted:

Here are all the prisoners I know about. Locations before the dash, specifics afterward.

In Copperlane - Nyrid the mage, who is impersonating Purnisc, some jackass drug dealer.
In the Defiance Bay Catacombs - Eorn, a fugitive from the law who killed a Crucible Knight in self-defense. You can imprison him instead of turning him over or giving him money to leave town.
In Ondra's Gift - Aefre, the woman who's trying to squeeze the Salty Mast brothel. Fight her instead of negotiating and you can take her prisoner.
In Magran's Fork - Gramrfel, the leader of a group of bandits.
In Stormwall Gorge in Act 3 - Naelde, the leader of the Leaden Key assassins that try to take you out.
In Twin Elms - Captain Esmer, if you choose not to have him killed you can keep him prisoner yourself.

I haven't finished the game yet, so there might be more. In most cases, the money you get from capturing and ransoming them off seems to be more than you'd get by selling the stuff they had on them, so the loot is only a concern if you have low security or if they're carrying something you want to keep instead of selling. (Or, in at least two cases, you could not take them prisoner because you aren't an INHUMAN MONSTER.)
Endless Paths level 12 - Kestorik, a Vithrack and all around jerk.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

There's at least one NPC on that list that I haven't been able to take prisoner. Does anyone know what factors into a successful imprisonment?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

french lies posted:

Sorry for the digression, but has anyone here played Age of Decadence and how does it compare to PoE? I am done with this game until the DLC comes out and need something to tide me over in the meantime.

Certainly not perfect, or even feature complete yet, and yeah, the hard gated skill checks are annoying. As a positive the setting is super cool and the quests are solvable in a bunch of different ways, usually non-violent. The game plays against crpg tropes pretty hard. If your bookish trader with a trick knee gives a highwayman lip instead of money, you will quickly end up with a gutted trader. Combat is its own path in the game and even then you have to be very careful about choosing your fights.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basic Chunnel posted:

Someone posted this word for word earlier, was that you?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

If I put a fine enchantment on a weapon would it be possible to remove it later and put a better enchantment on it or is it stuck there forever?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TWIST FIST posted:

If I put a fine enchantment on a weapon would it be possible to remove it later and put a better enchantment on it or is it stuck there forever?

You can enchant over it, provide you have the materials and enchantment space.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Drifter posted:

Someone posted this word for word earlier, was that you?

Yep. Although, in fairness, he did say he couldn't get over it. :shobon:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kanfy posted:

It's the only district I've explored but Copperlane alone had at least two people you can throw in jail, the wizard guy impersonating as the drug dealer and the orlan hiding in the catacombs.

Why would you imprison the first guy instead of killing him for loot?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Drifter posted:

You can enchant over it, provide you have the materials and enchantment space.
Unfortunately, every category has exactly one enchantment slot :negative:

Really in dire need of at least some goddamn Unity engine unpacking tools that work with this game

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Also the thread moves at a breakneck pace so even if he posted that 12 hours ago there's likely 500+ posts between now and then.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vehementi posted:

What's the best way to build an offensive paladin?

Have him write limericks, apparently.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hard Mode: Standing in doorways the game.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Really in dire need of at least some goddamn Unity engine unpacking tools that work with this game

But it'll still let you override what's already there if it's better. You just can't downgrade or have more than one enchantment of the same type at the same time.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Emong posted:

But it'll still let you override what's already there if it's better. You just can't downgrade or have more than one enchantment of the same type at the same time.
Ok, that's pretty neat.

Now I just need to find out how to unlock all enchantments for the players to use, or at least make recipes for ones that aren't already there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pvt.Scott posted:

Also the thread moves at a breakneck pace so even if he posted that 12 hours ago there's likely 500+ posts between now and then.

You gotta cater to the morning afternoon AND night crew in this thread, I suppose. No shame, fam.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You can still override it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I'm vaguely disappointed at the evil/self-interested ending choice. Particularly when it's already established that you can use those machines to funnel souls to yourself, it seems fairly straightforward that there could be a "consume all the souls, mua ha ha ha" choice. Instead it's just "give them to whatsherface and she'll probably reward you or something I guess," with no actual suggestion of any such reward mentioned in the epilogue. Weak.

• Locked thread