Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Locator posted:

I'd happily send my money (even $150 or $160) to the NBA for NBA Broadband, except for this:

Because of this, pretty much every single Suns game is blacked out, because I live in a Cox service area. I don't subscribe to Cox, so I can't watch the game via my local provider, which is the entire reason that I want to subscribe to a broadband service like NBA Broadband or Ballstreams.

I agree 100%, but it looks like they're toying with the idea of offering no local blackouts for $10 which is pretty nice. I'd prefer if it was just included, but I think they'd be the first league to offer that feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd prefer if it was just included, but I think they'd be the first league to offer that feature.

I assume they need to pay off the RSNs.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

DMO out for the season with a back injury :rip:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IcePhoenix posted:

I agree 100%, but it looks like they're toying with the idea of offering no local blackouts for $10 which is pretty nice. I'd prefer if it was just included, but I think they'd be the first league to offer that feature.

If they offer the no local & no national blackouts thing and allow me to get all the games without cable service, then I'll be all over it next year. Until then, Ballstreams gets my money I guess.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It sucks to hear that Ballstreams has gone downhill as it was absolutely incredible last year.

Anyway, their $29.99 playoff special is now available (through 4/18), and contains all games for the rest of the year, so I took the gamble anyway.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

1 to cuff him, 3 to beat the poo poo out of him.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

First time in his career he's ever commanded a double team.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Eltoasto posted:

1 to cuff him, 3 to beat the poo poo out of him.
haha

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Here are the police details:

Pero Antic

quote:

Charges: Obstructing Governmental Administration in the Second Degree (1 count); Disorderly Conduct (1 count) and Harassment in the Second Degree (1 count). Charges are listed as misdemeanors

Complaint: “I observed the defendant and a separately charged defendant Thabo Sefolosha standing at the above location. I was helping to clear the area and establish a crime scene due to an unrelated incident at the above location. I told the defendant and the separately charged defendant approximately six times to disperse and clear the area. I observed the defendant and the separately charged defendant move a couple feet away but refuse to clear the area. The defendant and the separately charged defendant actions interfered with my ability and lawful duty to clear the area in order for the other officers to establish a crime scene.

“I am informed by Police Officer Michael Osullivan, Shield #13084, of the Tenth Precinct, that as he was assisting in the arrest of the separately charged defendant Thabo Sefolosha, the defendant grabbed his left shoulder, making it difficult to assist in the arrest.”

Thabo Sefolosha

quote:

Charges: Obstructing Governmental Administration in the Second Degree (1 count). Resisting Arrest (1 count), Disorderly Conduct (1 count). Charges are listed as misdemeanors.

Complaint: “I observed the defendant and a separately charged defendant Pero Antikj standing at the above location. I was helping to clear the area and establish a crime scene due to an unrelated incident at the above location. I told the defendant and the separately charged defendant approximately six times to disperse and clear the area. I observed the defendant and the separately charged defendant move a couple feet away but refuse to clear the area. The defendant and the separately charged defendant actions interfered with my ability and lawful duty to clear the area in order for the other officers to establish a crime scene.

“I am informed by Police Office Caster, Shield #17276, of the Tenth Precinct that he observed the defendant Thabo Sefolosha run in an aggressive manner towards the direction of Police Officer Daniel Dongvort, Shield #3129, of the Tenth Precinct. I am further informed that he observed that Officer Dongvort’s back was facing the defendant at the time.

“When I approached the defendant to place him under arrest for the above described conduct, I observed the defendant flail his arms, twist his body, kick his legs, and struggle against me making it difficult for me to place handcuffs on him and complete the arrest. It took four officers to place the defendant in handcuffs.”

And here's a quote from Jared Zwerling

@JaredZwerling posted:

From my source close to Chris Copeland, Hawks players were shielding him from those crowding/taking photos. Police were in protective mode.

pylb fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 8, 2015

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

morestuff posted:

The NBA TV stuff? That doesn't come with the digital subscription right now, as far as I'm aware.

The radio is free to anyone with an e-mail address but iOS users (since it's flash based). You used to be able to listen with tuneIn on ios but they killed it.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

hitze posted:

D-Nooooooooo

This hurts quite a bit, he was really useful as an offensive option who could actually post up and not solely rely on Harden. Expect more of the Dwight Howard Post Up Experience to make up for it. It also increases the likelihood of Joey 27% from the line Dorsey getting playoff minutes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

hitze posted:

This season in a nutshell for the Rockets

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

MourningView posted:

Seriously considering having more "no ref complaints allowed" threads this year, that was actually really nice.

Although banning Bashez and only Bashez from talking about them and then watching him slowly go insane before exploding was pretty fun.

The threads will definitely be better this year because I'm not going to make any joke insult posts at Declan and get wrongfully banned for the entire Finals.

I'm going to be the biggest GSW bandwagoneer since Drake.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
At least they're getting arrested by while anti-police sentiment is a big ongoing national thing. NYPD officers arresting some partyin' rich black dudes would have been covered much less sympathetically in years past.

Still, I imagine the hot takes will be real disgusting in very short order, if they aren't already (I'm sure they are). For me, I mostly want to know if Cope, Pero and Thabo are friends who normally hang out. Cope was all Euro league for a while, are those his buddies? That seems like a fun crew.

dokmo posted:

This guy did an adjusted plus minus for coaches, which takes into account the players he had, and D'Antoni comes out at +1.3 on offense (which is 0.8 standard deviations above the mean) and -1.1 on defense (which is 0.4 SDs below the mean), which I think matches most people's overall impression of his career.

Trivia:

There is a coach whose offense is 3.3 SDs below the mean, which should probably not happen in a sample of 118. Who is he? (the data I think goes back into the 90s).

Which coach has the best offensive rating? Never mind, it's Hornacek. The killer is this: which coaches have the 2nd best offensive rating? It's a tie. I would never have guess one, and the other I would have put substantial money on being among the worst.

Best defenses are boring: Skiles, Thibodeau, SVG, Fratello. Worst defenses also boring, Kenny Natt, Frank Hamblen, Bob Weiss, Mike Dunlap.

My question would be how he gets "taking into account the players he had" to work? Wouldn't you get some circular reasoning where good coaches get great performances out of mediocre players, therefore making their overall coaching performance look worse? Popovich/Engellund squad turns every single euro scrub into the league's greatest 3pt shooter

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

quote:

However, since his move to Houston, things have changed, and I’m a little worried that the Rockets have ruined Josh Smith. He hardly ever takes those patented long 2s anymore, and for reasons that remain unclear, he is suddenly exhibiting above-average shooting efficiency from a couple of spots on the perimeter.

WHAT IS HAPPENING?!? I mean, look at that corner 3. I miss the good old days when Smith literally shot himself out of a guaranteed NBA contract.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-least-efficient-shooters-josh-smith-michael-carter-williams-trey-burke-nerlens-noel-dion-waiters/

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Has anyone mentioned that NBA players are voting on their own end of the year awards? http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2015/04/08/players-choice-awards-nbpa-michele-roberts/25449403/

I wonder what MVP will mean more to the players in 5 years.

edit:Looks like PantsfreeZone mentioned it before me.

PantsFreeZone posted:

Refs suck.

Also, it looks like the players will be voting on awards sometime soon.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2015/04/08/players-choice-awards-nbpa-michele-roberts/25449403/

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 8, 2015

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I think it just cheapens the value of both awards

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Scott Brooks lol. Is that thrown off by him only having coached the Durant/Westbrook Thunder?

KD and Westbrook are going to bullshit Scott Brooks into the hall of fame

also :ohdear: thabo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

pylb posted:

Here are the police details:

Pero Antic

Thabo Sefolosha

And here's a quote from Jared Zwerling

This whole thing is so bizarre. Will Thabo and Pero get suspensions over this? I doubt it affects Atlanta but it might a weir distraction. I know I cannot wait to hear announcers give us their opinions 50,000 times about it. Tell me, white man in your 60s, about how you should handle yourself in a club or where you should spend your time.

PantsFreeZone posted:

The threads will definitely be better this year because I'm not going to make any joke insult posts at Declan and get wrongfully banned for the entire Finals.

I'm going to be the biggest GSW bandwagoneer since Drake.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

EvanTH posted:

My question would be how he gets "taking into account the players he had" to work? Wouldn't you get some circular reasoning where good coaches get great performances out of mediocre players, therefore making their overall coaching performance look worse?

Linear regression doesn't deal with cause, only with covariance. In essence it assumes a linear relationship between the inputs and output, and tries to figure out which variables contributed how much. It also assumes that the variables have static effects, so that no one gets better or worse over time. I don't think interactions are included, which rules out capturing the synergistic effect of a player/coach pairing that really works or doesn't. There are other limitations to the technique that prevent perfection.

That said it does a better job of adjusting for the covariants than any human head could, so just go with it, okay? No one is claiming that adjusted plus minus will solve world poverty, only that it provides a decent answer to a question that pops up frequently among sports fans.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The way the complaints are written makes me think that Antic and Thabo wanted to stay next to Cope while he was bleeding and being attended to. The coppers wanted to clear the scene, because they don't know if the 2 are actually his friends or not. Thabo and Pero understandably don't want to leave their friend and are charged with obstructing justice. Could be wrong.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

The way the complaints are written makes me think that Antic and Thabo wanted to stay next to Cope while he was bleeding and being attended to. The coppers wanted to clear the scene, because they don't know if the 2 are actually his friends or not. Thabo and Pero understandably don't want to leave their friend and are charged with obstructing justice. Could be wrong.

Thats what I got out of it, too. With maybe Thabo overreacting a bit.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

hitze posted:

Thank goodness we still have The Great Dorsini

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It just occurred to me that Chip Engelland was a coach for Detroit when Lindsay Hunter was a good three point shooter, and then Lindsay left and his 3p shooting became famously quoted in the code tag for worst playoff 3p shooting ever. Chip Engelland is serious

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Kibner posted:

Thats what I got out of it, too. With maybe Thabo overreacting a bit.

I'd be hard to calm down too if my buddy just got stabbed. Also I would like to add that I am a child and therefore laughed at OFFICER DONGVORT

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

You would think those guys have been over here long enough to learn that daring American police to beat your rear end results in precisely that.

I'm as anti-police as the next guy, but if the NYPD asks me to move 20 feet to my left, I'm gonna hop to it.

b2n
Dec 29, 2005

dokmo posted:

It also assumes so that no one gets better or worse over time. I don't think interactions are included, which rules out capturing the synergistic effect of a player/coach pairing that really works or doesn't
It accounts for aging (but also assumes everyone has the same "aging curve"). Also, I haven't updated in a while. Kidd looks alot better now, Byron Scott still looks horrible etc.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Hey are the Rockets gonna get an extra roster spot for all this crap, or do you only get a cap exception? I propose signing Delonte West

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Divac making decisions while very drunk seems like a great business plan

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

mdemone posted:

You would think those guys have been over here long enough to learn that daring American police to beat your rear end results in precisely that.

I'm as anti-police as the next guy, but if the NYPD asks me to move 20 feet to my left, I'm gonna hop to it.

It's easy to say what you'd do in that situation, but if you watch your friend get stabbed, see his blood soaked clothes, are drunk, absolutely peaking on adrenaline, and some stranger brusquely tells you to stand aside, it's very possible that you say 'don't loving tell me where to move.' Then the cop gets afraid and it escalates into four cops kicking you in the head while you're face down on the sidewalk.

Is not the smart decision, but it is a very possible outcome.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Biggest story in the NBA tonight is Evan Fournier's return from maybe a hip thing or something.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

It just occurred to me that Chip Engelland was a coach for Detroit when Lindsay Hunter was a good three point shooter, and then Lindsay left and his 3p shooting became famously quoted in the code tag for worst playoff 3p shooting ever. Chip Engelland is serious
Yeah look at what he did for Kawhi
He also taught Tony how to shoot threes over the summer because they both knew Parker would be a gimpy McOld gimp and now we see
When Kawhi is at full tilt it starts to matter much less that Tony Parker isn't a top 10 pg anymore

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12587848/old-questions-surface-dallas-mavericks-point-guard-rajon-rondo

quote:

It's May 2011, and Boston is trailing Miami two games to none during its second-round playoff series. On the best of days, Celtics coach Doc Rivers rides Rajon Rondo hard, pushing his stubborn point guard as only a former stubborn point guard can. But this day is different. Doc is more relentless, Rondo more seething. "He was just pushing and he was just pushing and he was just pushing," Garnett recalls. Rondo glances across the room at Shaquille O'Neal and Jermaine O'Neal. "They saw me bubbling," Rondo remembers. "They were trying to calm me down. It was too late."

Without warning, Rondo snatches his water bottle and hurls it, full force, at the television monitor, the one airing the game footage that's being used to critique him. The 50-inch flat-screen, mounted on a cart in the center of the room, shatters. "When he blew the TV up, it was about to go in another direction -- like, the whole thing," Garnett says, his voice rising. Rivers, fed up, gives Garnett an order: "I want Rondo out." Garnett obliges. "He kicked the door off the hinges," Garnett says. "I'll never forget: I had to pick him up and carry him out because it was going like that, and the locker room was suuuper tense. Just super tense." As he's hauling the 6-foot-1, 186-pound point guard, the 6-11 Garnett barks, "Get outside, man, poo poo," physically carrying Rondo outside the room, then the building. Rondo fumes. "He was just so loving hot," Garnett says, reliving the moment. "He was hot, yo. When I say he was hot, he was hot."

:stare:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dokmo posted:

That said it does a better job of adjusting for the covariants than any human head could, so just go with it, okay?

When I saw Tim Floyd was dead last at -4.9 I thought it sounded right.

One rating comparison that should rankle 99% of SAS:

Mike Brown .7
Erik Spoelstra -0.5

Kibner posted:

Aren't you also in Europe right now? I think most of us that have been having issues are in the US. I have to do some unholy ritual of changing servers and browsers to get a feed that is stable. Using the overseas servers is usually even worse. I think they oversold their capacity this season since I had no issues with it last year.

In this 2015 dystopia a person must move to Europe to properly watch a basketball stream that's taking place on another continent 9+ hours earlier.

If the laws and regulations continue at this trajectory I foresee people on Mars getting illegal 3D hologram streams in a few centuries while lemmings on earth are blacked out due to THE LAW.

PantsFreeZone posted:

Refs suck.

Also, it looks like the players will be voting on awards sometime soon.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2015/04/08/players-choice-awards-nbpa-michele-roberts/25449403/

I'd like that so we could have a record of opinion. We don't know who the players would've voted for in the last 35 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Lindsay Hunter was the back up pg for the bucks in 2000-01, that was the Cassell, Allen, Big Dog ecf team. If you look at his career 3p% it just dives and never recovers after that year. I don't know if he was injured or what.

Yea, it's funny that the best 3P shooter for a playoff was paired with the second worst. It's like Michael Carter-Williams coming off the bench to replace Stephen Curry.

Belome
Jan 1, 2013
DNP - Handcuffed

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

Anyone with archives in here nice enough to put up some of hunter's greatest hits? All I clearly remember is an amazing series preview where he determined that the 2010 Suns had a clear advantage over the Kobe / Pau / Bynum / Odom Lakers at every position.

Patron saint of Phoenix, AZ:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3304975&pagenumber=138&perpage=40#post377512317
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3299145&pagenumber=57&perpage=40#post376500656
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3273657&pagenumber=13&perpage=40#post373580342
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3287293&pagenumber=4&perpage=40#post374813732
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2257227&pagenumber=71&perpage=40#post374288404

Paul Zuvella posted:

Is this happy news? Watching him play basketball is like watching a dude run across a minefield at this point.

I thought they were going to have him come back for the playoffs. If he gets injured again in the next week it's going to be really stupid.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Harden has more free throws made than shots made......

gently caress him

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 9, 2015

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

b2n posted:

It accounts for aging (but also assumes everyone has the same "aging curve").

Ah. Is there also an aging curve for the coaches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Harden has more free throws made than shots made......

gently caress him
Good.

• Locked thread