Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

My game is on kickstarter, it is a game about contra'ing monsters and tower defending crystals:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lwhiting/violent-little-things
Give me your sweet goon dollars so you can pay to have Goatse added to my game.

sharing this on facebook, it looks really pretty and I didn't do anything other than look at your gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Count Uvula posted:

My game is on kickstarter, it is a game about contra'ing monsters and tower defending crystals:

But was it inspired by Dark Souls?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wish there were honest to God inspired by Dark Souls games on kickstarter...too bad...

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

SaltyJesus posted:

But was it inspired by Dark Souls?

Yes. It's also a rogue-lite MMORPG.

No Gravitas posted:

Oooh, pretty.

You need to do some serious outreach though. This deserves more attention that it has gotten.

I'm working on it, hoping to not be a case study in how to gently caress up PR.

Sigma-X posted:

sharing this on facebook, it looks really pretty and I didn't do anything other than look at your gif

Thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

No Gravitas posted:

I miss the days when the 30 posts were bear puns.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pillars-of-eternity-diary-playing-as-a-party-of-bears/

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Count Uvula posted:

I backed and shared on twitter, and was immediately hit with a wave of twitterbots encouraging me to advertise my project on their crowd funding news site, the biggest one on the internet.

I really hate twiiter

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

NTRabbit posted:

I backed and shared on twitter, and was immediately hit with a wave of twitterbots encouraging me to advertise my project on their crowd funding news site, the biggest one on the internet.

I really hate twiiter

We live in Minority Report now.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Count Uvula posted:

Hey, nice, man! Did you do any pre-launch forum registering, tumblring, the works? Got a TigSource? Stuff like that is pretty important as far as I can tell. I'll try and spread the word on Twitter and wherever I can, you need to go hog wild advertising. It looks great, btw, best of luck!

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Count Uvula posted:

Yes. It's also a rogue-lite MMORPG.

I don't know about you guys but I'm sold.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hush looks like the kind of project that's good looking enough to get a little bit more love. Presentation's a little weird, but it looks like it could be fun. 100k goal is huge though.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
I wonder if Dungeons of Aledorn is going to make it after all:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1153206899/dungeons-of-aledorn-old-school-hardcore-rpg

Currently at $42,000 with 3 days left to go.

I'm rooting for this one, myself. The world needs more hardcore shovelware RPGs.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The thing about that one which struck me as odd was that they were asking for $60,000 to find production until Feb 2017, and that doesn't seem like much to sustain a 12-person team for almost 2 years.

I'm also wary of their goal "maximum emphasis is placed on realism". That sounds like code for "a lot of unfun busywork", so I guess I'm not their target audience.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mr Underhill posted:

Hey, nice, man! Did you do any pre-launch forum registering, tumblring, the works? Got a TigSource? Stuff like that is pretty important as far as I can tell. I'll try and spread the word on Twitter and wherever I can, you need to go hog wild advertising. It looks great, btw, best of luck!

THanks! I've mostly been emailing press (though I'm not really expecting response since I'm emailing larger sites with a kickstarter, after all) and showing it to some game developer friends I have who have decent followings. My main plan for press is actually by having some really weird updates that I think people will like and want to show others :v: I'll create a devlog on TIGsource soon though, now that you've reminded me, since a lot of the updates would be appropriate to mirror there.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Count Uvula posted:

THanks! I've mostly been emailing press (though I'm not really expecting response since I'm emailing larger sites with a kickstarter, after all) and showing it to some game developer friends I have who have decent followings. My main plan for press is actually by having some really weird updates that I think people will like and want to show others :v: I'll create a devlog on TIGsource soon though, now that you've reminded me, since a lot of the updates would be appropriate to mirror there.

Don't forget about http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/hey-prs-and-developers/

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

SaltyJesus posted:

I don't know about you guys but I'm sold.

I am throwing money at my screen, goon sire.

(backed and told some friends)

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The thing about that one which struck me as odd was that they were asking for $60,000 to find production until Feb 2017, and that doesn't seem like much to sustain a 12-person team for almost 2 years.

I'm also wary of their goal "maximum emphasis is placed on realism". That sounds like code for "a lot of unfun busywork", so I guess I'm not their target audience.

I think they are going the whole "funding supplements it/faster alongside our own side jobs this past while" route---granted they are in an area where that kind of cash will travel further than usual.

They have a shot at getting a bump in the last couple days here, though I really don't know what else they can do outside of praying for media coverage at last as there's surely no way they can manage a third meaningful update to their demo and all that is left is lore and more mechanics to expound upon.

I think the realism thing just goes back to Realms of Arkania as opposed to busywork---less deus ex machina compared to most games and moreso getting your hands dirty in order to get things happening. The last thing a niche RPG needs is to venture off into the weeds of 4X Spreadsheet'ing as only madness and regret lies there.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Count Uvula posted:

Backed and shared on FB. Good luck mate!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Even with 3 days to go and 200K extra still needed to raise I have a bad feeling the Descent Underground kickstarter will get a angel investor bump to make its funding goal.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
A couple of friends of mine, one of whom is an industry veteran, have launched a Kickstarter for their action monster crusher Bowbarian. You shoot swords from a bow, I can't imagine a better use of the technology.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boxfortgames/bowbarian

Gameplay starts at 1:10 in the video.

Jeremy's got a great touch for gameplay, I have no doubt this game is going to feel and play wonderfully. Do take a look.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

What are you talking about, Angry Foreign Minister Kiwi Bird is the highlight of that thing.

Oooo, now I want a co-op New Zealand Story HD up on KS. Come on, someone.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Does /r/gaming care if you join reddit just to shill for your own stuff? Should I try to convince somebody established on the site to sing the virtues of my sweet gifs?

Anyway here's an update to my kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lwhiting/violent-little-things/posts/1193816

Looks like it could be fun but Jesus, 150,000. They're ambitious or have mortgages, huh.
The player character blends in to the background too much in those gifs. If there's a wide variety of backgrounds, they could make the barbarian more visible by making him have some contrasting elements on his outfit instead of just on his quiver and bow, but if its mostly desert levels my personal thinking is they should change the character's color profile completely.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

Does /r/gaming care if you join reddit just to shill for your own stuff? Should I try to convince somebody established on the site to sing the virtues of my sweet gifs?

/r/gaming is mostly memes. /r/games lets you shill every once in a while if you actually have a history of previous posting.

I actually posted your link there. It got zero upvotes and a few downvotes (they don't actually like Kickstarter posts most of the time) so I took it down. I suppose you could try again. Your chances are higher if you post a link to some reputable site covering your kickstarter.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Count Uvula posted:

Looks like it could be fun but Jesus, 150,000. They're ambitious or have mortgages, huh.

150k to run a company of 3 people for 2 years is... not a lot.

They're being slightly more realistic (than the usual game KS) about their budget and release date. Of course that probably isn't going to do them any favors.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Last day for these guys trying to remake descent. Good trailer, and good luck to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko8EOVfY26k

They'll need it. Most descent players really wanted to just have Sol Contingency made.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Perhaps more importantly, do most Descent players want some Star Citizen yahoo making a multiplayer-focused game? I was an infant when Descent came out so I wasn't exactly part of the 90s deathmatch scene, but the single player campaign is what I remember Descent fondly for. Am I in the minority on that one?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

HMS Boromir posted:

Perhaps more importantly, do most Descent players want some Star Citizen yahoo making a multiplayer-focused game? I was an infant when Descent came out so I wasn't exactly part of the 90s deathmatch scene, but the single player campaign is what I remember Descent fondly for. Am I in the minority on that one?

You are not. I view the fact that the DU KS started with a moba pitch and ended with a trailer about an epic single player campaign as evidence enough.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

HMS Boromir posted:

No, and gently caress those guys. I hope it fails especially when the kickstarter first came it out it was multiplayer only and the expectation to pay cash money to unlock additional ships. Also sending a C&D letter to Sol Contigency is just salt in the wounds.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Descent was a really fun LAN game, but the key word(s) there is "LAN." Most people that played Descent just did not go to the effort to set that up, or played it when it came out on the Playstation. You could play it with the internet at large later on with some third party programs but, again, most people just didn't do that.

I might just be biased because I'm simply not going to kickstart a multiplayer-only game so I don't look at them but it seems like most successful, as in was-funded-and-actually-came-out successful, games from Kickstarter are the ones that were single player games. I can see why a multiplayer only game is so much more attractive to a smaller development team, from asset creation to animation to scripting, but it does seem like people just don't really want that many games where your only option is to shoot other players.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, maybe if they didn't run a poo poo kickstarter from day 1 they wouldn't be over 100k short with a day to go.

They started the kickstarter with absolutely nothing in common with Descent, aside from the name you couldn't tell if it was a Descent game or another Miner Wars kickstarter. They made the majority of their kickstarter about multiplayer and a bunch of bullshit about unlocking exclusive ships at different tiers and other garbage that nobody wants to see in a game to begin with, ESPECIALLY 'old-school' PC gamers that grew up playing Descent and hate the micro-transaction-y unlock fests that so many games have become these days. A single-player 'prologue' was just a bullet point somewhere in the FAQ.

Later they finally added something that looked like Descent, a take on the original ship design, but wait, only if you back the game and they reach a stretch goal! Now they're falling short of reaching their goals and suddenly the game will have an epic single player campaign!

gently caress 'em. They don't want to make the Descent game that everyone wants, they want to make another multiplayer game. I'm a huge (bitter) Descent fan and I hope this fails. If the Sol Contingency guys want to pop up and make a new Descent-like IP and make the actual game that people want to play, I'll throw wads of cash at them instead.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Fina posted:

Yeah, maybe if they didn't run a poo poo kickstarter from day 1 they wouldn't be over 100k short with a day to go.

You speak wise words and I agree with you totally. These jerks ain't winning over my bitter cold jaded heart! They just want nostalgiabucks from people like me who liked Descent!!

It's pretty telling how they've basically rewrote the entire pitch since they started it

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
A Kickstarter that a few of us pitched towards though the project did not succeed came out with a very positive update today:

quote:

No Pineapple Left Behind RETURNS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twimJX7O7H4

Hey everyone. Big news.
Remember that time when we launched a Kickstarter for No Pineapple Left Behind and it failed because we didn’t make enough Ottoman Empire jokes?
Well, then. Turns out:
We’ve been working on NPLB non-stop since the Kickstarter ended.
We have been funded by a publisher–Mastertronic.
We will have an open alpha ready for you in a few months.
We have made a TON of changes to the game. First off, we replaced ALL of the artwork.
We also added CHILDREN to the game. CHILDREN have a zillion different traits and complex social networks–they are total pains in the rear end to deal with.
Other new features:
Story Mode. Each school district in the city of New Bellona has a unique problem–if you solve its problem, you take over the school.
Schoolbuses that travel through hyperspace gates.
Parents. Parents can heckle you with demands. You can do what they want (difficult) or ignore them (expensive).
Supplies. These work with our magic spell system similarly to how gem stones work in ARPGs: add supply such as an Abacus (cheap) or a Calculator (expensive) to a math spell to enhance it. But, they are expensive.
Lasers. Teachers can zap children with lasers like “De-friender Bolt” (cheap) or “Anti-Bully Beam” (expensive) in order to directly interact with them.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

What's the over/under on a "mysterious angel backer" dropping like 100 grand on Descent?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Beast Pussy posted:

What's the over/under on a "mysterious angel backer" dropping like 100 grand on Descent?

They're a little under a 100k with a little under a day, and even with the regular last-48-hours increase in funding rates factored in they're going to fall about 80k short. At this stage, "mysterious angle backer"* is the only way they're getting there, which hopefully will indicate to the devs that their project isn't feasible, because they don't actually have much going for them.

*we all know what this actually means.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

madjackmcmad posted:

A couple of friends of mine, one of whom is an industry veteran, have launched a Kickstarter for their action monster crusher Bowbarian. You shoot swords from a bow, I can't imagine a better use of the technology.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boxfortgames/bowbarian

How about that. I guess it really was bowb-your-buddy week after all.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Beast Pussy posted:

Kickstarter limits pledges to 10K per backer, AFAIK.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

EightDeer posted:

Kickstarter limits pledges to 10K per backer, AFAIK.

So, then like a whole host of angel backers.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Johnny Law posted:

150k to run a company of 3 people for 2 years is... not a lot.

They're being slightly more realistic (than the usual game KS) about their budget and release date. Of course that probably isn't going to do them any favors.

It's true it's not a lot, but they definitely need either a second source of funding to lessen their goal or a more unique/less "polished flash game" presentation.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Memento posted:

They're a little under a 100k with a little under a day, and even with the regular last-48-hours increase in funding rates factored in they're going to fall about 80k short. At this stage, "mysterious angle backer"* is the only way they're getting there, which hopefully will indicate to the devs that their project isn't feasible, because they don't actually have much going for them.

*we all know what this actually means.

I really hope they fail just to realize how far theirs heads are up their asses. Maybe, just maybe, they will realize just how much single player was to the Descent experience.

If they end up remaking the kickstarter and and indeed focus on single player and none of the "pay real money for ship crap" I would gladly back them. Any its not like its never happened before! The Hivejump kickstarter failed the first time and came back twice as strong the next time (and made it) after they took the feed back from their first effort and are looking to produce a really fun game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

BexGu posted:

If they end up remaking the kickstarter and and indeed focus on single player and none of the "pay real money for ship crap" I would gladly back them. Any its not like its never happened before! The Hivejump kickstarter failed the first time and came back twice as strong the next time (and made it) after they took the feed back from their first effort and are looking to produce a really fun game.

I think they poisoned their own well. If they do come back even if they swear up and down it'll be single player only and literally the second coming of Descent etc etc people will be like "Hey remember how these schlubs said the exact same thing last time when their kickstarter was floundering, when it was very clear that they wanted to make a multiplayer microtransaction bullshitfest?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BexGu posted:

I really hope they fail just to realize how far theirs heads are up their asses. Maybe, just maybe, they will realize just how much single player was to the Descent experience.

I just don't think these people are the right ones to do it. Honestly, with their first video, it sounded like they never played Descent, especially with the fact that they were touting how much they loved "space games," which really isn't an accurate description of Descent. It really feels like these guy wanted to make some game, saw that this popular name was available, and took the opportunity.