Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

What was the MLB deal(s?) that were broken by a guy online named assman? And why does my phone think assman is a proper noun?

Rick posted:

The only reason I don't discount them completely is that sometimes there's a "Dwight Howard told me he's joining the Lakers, the deal's done, they're waiting because the league wants them to, and took a picture with me wearing a Lakers hat in June, here's the picture" story that turns out to be right even when the media is reporting turmoil and doubt in the trade process. Since then I've decided to at least keep an eye on the tangential stuff, even if it's wrong 99% of the time. It's probably not true that Anta already has sweatshops stitching Rondo's Lakers merch already. But it's kind of a fun story to read.

The KG to Boston trade was broken by a guy in the RealGM forums days before the national media started picking up on it. He was friends with Al Jefferson or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Inside Outside posted:

And why does my phone think assman is a proper noun?

As with many things, the answer is Seinfeld.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
this was basically JV last night, couldn't sink anything from right under the basket

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metapod posted:

they could play in cleveland or detroit

I like how the Pistons have been playing in a bougie suburb for more than 25 years and people still make the cheap "Detroit sucks" joke. Living and working around Auburn Hills is probably the same boring experience that like, Kings players get.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I like how the Pistons have been playing in a bougie suburb for more than 25 years and people still make the cheap "Detroit sucks" joke. Living and working around Auburn Hills is probably the same boring experience that like, Kings players get.

i wasn't making a jab at the pistons though :shrug:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
N: Kawhi is the monster from It Follows.
V: It doesn't stop.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I am so excited for a rockets-spurs matchup

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
In case anyone missed it. Last night Felton hit a basket for the lead vs Denver then blocked the last shot to win the game.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's gonna be Mavs-Spurs because God hates me

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I hope the Spurs lose and are never good again.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

"I hope all the bad things in life happen to you, and no one else."

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I hope the Spurs lose and are never good again.

Same

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

double same

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
2017 Finals MVP Cory Joseph takes great offense at your dark prayers.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I too am eager to see more plays like these: http://streamable.com/ooy4

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

TheFallenEvincar posted:

2017 Finals MVP Cory Joseph takes great offense at your dark prayers.

While 2020 Regular Season MVP and Gold Medalist Kyle Anderson just laughs at all those who doubted him.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Juaguocio posted:

I too am eager to see more plays like these: http://streamable.com/ooy4

That 6th foul on Byanes was the dumbest poo poo ever. Gets shoulder checked to the floor, picks up 6th foul and ejected from game.

The best part was Smith raising his hand like "yeah I did it" then the ref vigorously pointing at baynes and smith just going "okay sure why not."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spurs now sitting on the 3 seed. They were written off as being too old but it's now pretty apparent they were coasting earlier in the season. This does not bode well for non-Spurs teams.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It's just interesting to see that one potential outcome of taking low quality shots only when they're 3Ps, and never taking a long 2P unless its a very high quality shot, is that the value of the two shots converges to equality. I expected that in a real world situation the 3P would always have a fairly significant advantage. They're still better off taking the 3s, as taking more 2s would just result in a lower value for the 2P shots, obviously.

It's definitely indicative of the season. Right philosophy, but the talent isn't there for it to pay off. In a weird way its like watching a computer play chess with a two rooks handicap. Making all the right moves, but without the pieces for it to be totally effective.

It seems like a sign that teams should be training players to hit 3s from longer range and coming up with even more creative schemes to facilitate more 3P shots.

Lockback posted:

If you look at the list of teams not taking enough 3s, they correlate to teams that don't have players who can hit 3s. For those teams, taking more 3s isn't going to help you.

If they can't hit 3s then they're even worse at hitting 2s. The math says all thirty teams should be launching more threes. However, this isn't taking FTs and FTAs into account. It'd be good to know the exact numbers for each team (how many FTAs they get from inside and outside the arc) but I don't know of any place that tracks that. It's safe to assume that probably every team in NBA history has gotten more FTAs from 2P range.

So this means that more 3PAs should mean less FTAs which is probably a bad thing for most teams but I couldn't be sure without seeing all the numbers on FTA from 2P shots and 3P shots.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Every year the Spurs come to life right before the playoffs, every year my girlfriend wonders why I can't be happy that they're doing well.

She's from San Antonio and I'm from Dallas; I can't be happy when it's the same 3 goddamn players+coach+their new kawhiclawbot3000 that I hated 10 years ago.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Zogo posted:

Spurs now sitting on the 3 seed. They were written off as being too old but it's now pretty apparent they were coasting earlier in the season. This does not bode well for non-Spurs teams.

Was the Spurs slow start a matter of Pop intentionally going easy on his team, or was it the result of the Leonard/Mills/Parker injuries?

Whenever the Spurs don't do well, its always a question whether it is really 11th dimensional chess.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

TheFallenEvincar posted:

N: Kawhi is the monster from It Follows.
V: It doesn't stop.

hah he's guarding his man even between plays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVzl5M1XjJA

harden sucks boring man rules. BOoooring Mannnn to the rescue!!!

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Yea injuries definitely didn't help Spurs early on, looking pretty good now.

Baynes has stepped it up lately, been playing really well, those fouls above were terrible.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

glowing-fish posted:

Was the Spurs slow start a matter of Pop intentionally going easy on his team, or was it the result of the Leonard/Mills/Parker injuries?

Whenever the Spurs don't do well, its always a question whether it is really 11th dimensional chess.

I'd say it was 90% Leonard and Parker being hurt. As bashez said, Leonard was blind and one handed until early march, when he activated beast mode, and he's still repping that street code. And it's taken about the same amount of time for Parker to get healthy againe.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Will the Knicks be better next year?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

yes because a healthy melo should be playing next year

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's going to be a little funny to see Melo and Greg Monroe trundle their way to 38 wins, apologies to EvanTH

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I guess I should add 'much' to that question. Playoffs maybe?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

it is impossible to tell until we see who they get in free agency and the draft

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It depends on how much worse the East can get, because I thought it couldn't get lower for the 8th seed.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tae posted:

It depends on how much worse the East can get, because I thought it couldn't get lower for the 8th seed.

I feel like we have some teams on the rise for next year. Celtics have really started putting it together. Heat will get Bosh back + maybe a free agent. Bucks look sexy in future vision where their young rusty players sharpen up and Jabari joins the crew.. Detroit with Brandon Jennings back can make some noise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I feel like we have some teams on the rise for next year. Celtics have really started putting it together. Heat will get Bosh back + maybe a free agent. Bucks look sexy in future vision where their young rusty players sharpen up and Jabari joins the crew.. Detroit with Brandon Jennings back can make some noise.

The forum said this last year, and the NBA gods threw their might and killed Paul George, took any ounce of talent Lance Stephenson had into a black hole, killed Chris Bosh, and now the Nets are possibly making the playoffs with someone called Markel Brown for 30 minutes a night.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Even with a healthy Melo, that team is real bad.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

glowing-fish posted:

Parker has been injured for the entire season. He had a few runs of good games in February and March, but he still hasn't gotten back to his old form. Mills has also struggled, and Pop kept playing him when he really should have given Joseph more minutes. The combined point guard woes definitely cost the Spurs several close games.

Splitter's ongoing calf issues have kept him out for quite a few games as well.

Duncan has been by far the best, most consistent player for the Spurs this season, and has even carried the team at times.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

Duncan has been by far the best, most consistent player for the Spurs ever, and has carried the team at all times.

fixed

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Robinson was better.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Knicks went on a 6-0 run in Orlando tonight that spanned 7.5 minutes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I still believe in Shved.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

The Knicks went on a 6-0 run in Orlando tonight that spanned 7.5 minutes.

:patriot:

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Knicks (8) and Magic (7) combined for 15 points in the 2nd quarter. Lowest in NBA history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Zack posted:

Knicks (8) and Magic (7) combined for 15 points in the 2nd quarter. Lowest in NBA history.

The lowest previously was 18 which was between 2005 Jazz vs. Pistons. So think about what had to happen to make this happen.

• Locked thread