Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Fun fact, melee bashing the scrake even with a gun and as a non-berserker causes him to stagger a step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not that I'm enjoying Hans a super lot (he's kinda fun and beatable but ridiculously hard) but I get the feeling they've tuned him to be something you can easily fail at lower levels so for the higher levels he's still a challenge and at no point is he a complete pushover. I could be wrong. I've been in a group who beats him a few times but for the most part unless you get a bad grenade clump he doesn't seem to melt you until he's out of heals, at which point all his attacks are horrendously damaging.

I'm not about to say Hans is WRONG. But I would like to hear the TWI reasoning on why he is the way he is, just to understand him better. I really think he's just balanced for higher levels/skills so after you fight him 20 times you'll have it down.

Running: I don't play a zerk. If Hans, a scrake, or a fleshpound come for me how do I not die? Even sprinting a scrake is faster than I am and can chain attack me to death.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I love this game and I consider myself a good player.. I have level 6 4/6 perks on KF 1... But holy poo poo are the people currently playing this bad. Like, even with consistently higher score and kills and carrying through most of the waves, I've yet to defeat a single map on Normal. Nobody works together, everyone splits up to take taken out one by one.

I will say though it is kinda exciting being a low level Commando again, knowing that poo poo can actually wreck you now. I like how if you run and shoot your shot has a chance of going wild.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Section Z posted:

You treat her right, you hear me you loving pro zerkers! :argh: :qq: You hate crawlers? Nail em to the floor and get a headshot on some gorefast from the ricochet! On that note does it still work like a shotgun, or is it like a Quake style "It's an SMG but we just say it uses nails". I can't find any KF2 nailgun footage offhand skimming through various videos selected at random.

It's a shotgun that has ricocheting pellets. I haven't played a lot with it, but it was useful for dealing with clumps of crawlers. I liked it when I did use it though.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's literally one thing that can be changed by adjusting numbers for one boss I don't think it means the devs are trash clam down

I'm like zen here. Just hyperbole. It just really sucks when you empty two AA-12 mags into the guy, and you find out you did absolutely nothing to him because it turns out hes invincible cause the 1's and 0's say so. I'd even be fine with it healing him back to full when he eventually gets someone as some sort of twisted risk/reward system, that'd be fun to test your luck with an experienced team. But it should be one of the first things changed about him the next time they push a balance pass over him if the invincibility thing is true.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
After playing nearly 20 hours in the beta, I really like Hans. I think the only issue is that his phases need to be telegraphed more, because people aren't understanding what is happening at first, and when they hear afterwards it just sounds like BS.

He definitely needs a shield to come online like an ubercharge when he's in "Grabby" mode, so you know he is invulnerable until he sucks someone's health.

It would be best if there was simply a boss HP bar that all players could see, in a fixed position on the UI. Having this present would instantly explain how he's working. He essentially just has three health bars, and as you burn down each one, he grabs someone and enters the next phase/health bar. So if he had a big rear end health bar on screen, segmented into thirds, and his invincibility shield visibly appeared as each one was emptied, it would be easy enough to understand.

The silliest part is honestly that once you know he's going to grab someone, just run into his arms to get it over with. It took my group maybe a dozen games before we were like, oh, just let him hug you so we can get to the next phase. That -is- silly, and it would be cool if there was some way to bump him out of grabby mode, but it would also trivialize the boss itself ... unless he just "regenerated" or entered the next health bar without grabbing someone after X seconds of unsuccessful grabs.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Hah, a guy from Facepunch found that that you can use the console to shrink or make yourself bigger.

Mini Floor

http://a.pomf.se/arqeva.mp4

Giant Floor

http://a.pomf.se/jljspb.mp4

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.twitch.tv/tminator64/c/6528164

Here's a 6man strat that seemed to work pretty well for this team.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Questioner86 posted:

I'm laughing pretty hard at the coy "I'm not going to post it in the thread because I don't want to devs to see" exploit talk.

Mostly because the whole point of beta and early access is to be able to collect analytic data from the games and see stuff like this. Once you start diving into the data exploits like this become pretty obvious. We've stated numerous times (including on the store page) that people should plan on having their stats wiped during early access because players are going to figure out how to exploit any system you give them.

Haha, well I posted it anyway, but honestly I'm used to companies not analyzing these things very carefully until it's reported on a major forum/reddit and everyone bitches about it. But what I'm doing seems to be a pretty well known leveling method, I've already seen a lot of others doing it and in KF1 it was a valid leveling method as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if you tone down the exp a bit by release.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

Section Z posted:

Yeah I never played much zerker cause I am a huge baby wuss man who prefers "close combat" to mean "convenient for a viddy game shotgun". But this Mortal Kombat As A Child Imagined MEAT system means I'm gonna want to take a stab it (:haw:)

I thought the nailgun was cool and fun in KF1 even though it was more effective to stick with actual shotguns, well not counting the combat shotgun. So I hope it gets enough love that you can want to use it as an alternative to the rest of the Zerker perk weapons JUST BECAUSE.

You treat her right, you hear me you loving pro zerkers! :argh: :qq: You hate crawlers? Nail em to the floor and get a headshot on some gorefast from the ricochet! On that note does it still work like a shotgun, or is it like a Quake style "It's an SMG but we just say it uses nails". I can't find any KF2 nailgun footage offhand skimming through various videos selected at random.

Primary fire is a shotgun with ~6-8 nails and secondary fire is semi-auto one nail at a time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

closeted republican posted:

Hah, a guy from Facepunch found that that you can use the console to shrink or make yourself bigger.

Mini Floor

"This crawler situation is getting out of control!"

Crawlers are loving EVERYWHERE, Zerkers are getting ankle bitten to death in droves.

"We need a berserker who can fight them at their level!"

Dramatic close up of DJ Foster, the ultimate combination of Mister Foster and DJ Skully.

"At EYE level!"

Zoom out, Tiny zerker with a tiny Evicirator, cutting the legs off Crawlers.

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Primary fire is a shotgun with ~6-8 nails and secondary fire is semi-auto one nail at a time.

:swoon:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 13, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
You run out of ammo FAST if you use it in shotgun mode much though, 42 per clip, 7 used per shotgun burst, and I wanna say 9 clips with a full stock. Best used in closed spaces if you wanna shotgun burst.

I really think the first perk opposite the night vision for zerker needs to be changed/tuned, you start with 20% more ammo when you buy ranged weapons, not extra capacity mind you, you just don't have to buy as much ammo to fill it up at the time of purchase. It's is almost entirely worthless, it saves you 40-100 dosh tops and is just utterly boring.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

closeted republican posted:

Mini Floor

Giant Floor

http://a.pomf.se/jljspb.mp4

Oh man, I'm already imagining the custom maps that're like the old-style rats maps for CS/UT, but with ginormous enemies, and vice-versa, with health and spawn numbers to compensate :swoon:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Well pumping all those healing drugs made by Horzine into yourself and teammates was gonna have some side effects

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Ledgy posted:

Hans should look Übercharged when invicible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJUIRr_j5lM

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
People are definitely editing the beta with Cheat Engine, I hope they at least change something so people can be level 200 on live lmao.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Someone mentioned cosmetic items. I haven't seen anything more than pictures, are they planning to introduce a drop system a-la TF2/Dota or whatever?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Right now each character model has a few customization settings. A face skin slot that has variations with different hair color, camo paint, etc., a body skin slot with different color variations of your outfit, and a hat slot which has things like glasses, gas masks, and hats, each with their own skin selections.

Currently most characters have 4 body skins available, 2-4 face skins, and 2-3 head items with 2-4 skins each. These are all available from the start, no unlocking or anything. Tripwire hasn't talked much about that part of the game, but I'd imagine that we could see DLC that adds new customization options to existing characters in addition to DLC that adds new characters all together. Think about something like the Neon Character Pack or Steampunk Character Pack in KF1, in KF2 instead of being a set of new characters they could just be new items and skin variants for existing characters.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Modding your character in a game like this seems kind of pointless when you never see them, unlike games like LoL where you see them all game. I dunno.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Steampunk Terminator Chicken pls

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Akumos posted:

Modding your character in a game like this seems kind of pointless when you never see them, unlike games like LoL where you see them all game. I dunno.

You say that but TF2 is still doing pretty okay.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Akumos posted:

It's not so you yourself can see it, it's so that others can.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Theta Zero posted:

It's not so you yourself can see it, it's so that others can.

Killing Floor 2: Take A Look At My Neon Steampunk Codpiece.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Akumos posted:

Mate, I will pay twice the game's retail price for a Commando Chicken outift and so will you.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
The medic healing armor mechanics feels a bit weak atm. It's insane with nades but you can't seem to heal armor when someone is at max hp.. so you basically get to spam darts at someone when they're damaged and that's it. The MAX armor one is great though, +75 armor is really nice, especially on yourself. I would suggest buffing the 2% armor heal to like 5% or letting you overheal armor on max hp targets up to like 50% of their max armor.

Edit: The +max armor medic perk seems to heal immediate armor too? More than 2% I guess.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 13, 2015

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Btw does Lacerate do anything for medic? It seems worthless.. and poison darts/nades never seem to cause panic.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

are there more keys yet? :smith:

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

alg posted:

are there more keys yet? :smith:

Yeah, on April 21st. :haw:

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Something just occurred to me with medic perks.. you can choose the free armor perk at the start of the game, and switch to +2% armor heal after, and you get the free armor. $300 dosh for free.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I wish the beta was open so I could play with friends/goons. Pubbies are so bad that it hurts and I keep finding myself alone to deal with Scrake/Fleshpound combos. As a Commando. :negative:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Akumos posted:

Something just occurred to me with medic perks.. you can choose the free armor perk at the start of the game, and switch to +2% armor heal after, and you get the free armor. $300 dosh for free.

Letting people switch perks mid-round is a recipe for disaster anyway. At best it encourages tedious min-maxing like switching perks before the boss wave or whenever you get a new weapon and at worst there'll be tons of exploits. Better to just lock the perks down to only allow switching between matches.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

Letting people switch perks mid-round is a recipe for disaster anyway. At best it encourages tedious min-maxing like switching perks before the boss wave or whenever you get a new weapon and at worst there'll be tons of exploits. Better to just lock the perks down to only allow switching between matches.

You do realize KF 1 let you switch perks between waves, right? It wasn't uncommon to do the first round or two as a sharpshooter then switch to whatever it was you wanted to play.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
In KF1 no matter which perk I wanted to play I always did the first wave as medic for that free body armor.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Sorry I meant whatever the every-5-levels things are called. Talents? Skills? But yeah Perks being switchable is problematic too. Just because KF1 did it doesn't mean KF2 has to either.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Also switching perk waves before the boss wave doesn't feel like an exploit to me, if a perk isn't good at fighting bosses why not use a better one?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If people think perk switching is an exploit, then they're loving retarded. Why would I stay as a Commando for the boss wave when I can just switch to Demo or Assault and actually be useful? Part of why Hans takes so goddamn long to kill is everyone is rolling Commando and Medic so there's no burst damage on him. If everyone switched boss wave to Support and sold all their stuff for AA-12s, I guarantee he wouldn't be a problem.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Actually I stick with Medic even though I do buy an AA-12 for Hans. The increased movement speed, body armor, and healing grenades are super useful for keeping myself and everyone else alive, and the AA-12 rocks out loud without my whopping 1 or 2% damage increase from my low level Support. Commando is still ill-suited to fighting the boss though, but at least when they add the Patriarch back in you'll be able to help allies spot his invisible phase with Call Out.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
One of the mid tier Commando perks now is letting other people see invisible enemies, which would be useful for Patriarch. I have a feeling though people will just leave pipe bomb minefields for him again like they used to though. Even on Suicidal he's easy to take out that way.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Skoll posted:

One of the mid tier Commando perks now is letting other people see invisible enemies, which would be useful for Patriarch. I have a feeling though people will just leave pipe bomb minefields for him again like they used to though. Even on Suicidal he's easy to take out that way.
What if bosses are random every game? :c

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Then I guess it doesn't matter. Usually the only person who can hit him with decent burst at range is the Sharpshooter. He usually uncloaks when he's close enough for a face full of AA-12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Medic SMG is insanely good. As Support I just buy that instead of the 1100 dosh shotgun, and then I can get an AA12 by wave 4 or 5. The SMG plus AA12 is all you ever need.

• Locked thread