Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Crushable Object posted:

Since Intel bought McAfee has it become any less awful?

I think I already know the answer but time for comedy hour.

No, McAfee Anvirus still is a crock of poo poo, and you should immediately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A crazy murdering drugged out ex patriot said it was giving him a bad name

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

WhyteRyce posted:

A crazy murdering drugged out ex patriot said it was giving him a bad name

I didn't know he was in the NFL :D
The word is "expatriate". Coming from the Latin root word "pater" meaning "father" as in "fatherland". I would imagine most expatriates were never patriotic.

This has been your pedantic language update for the day.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I didn't know he was in the NFL :D
The word is "expatriate". Coming from the Latin root word "pater" meaning "father" as in "fatherland". I would imagine most expatriates were never patriotic.

This has been your pedantic language update for the day.

Blame one hand swipe typing on a tablet with autocorrect

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

cisco privilege posted:

Not sure about the other Intel mobile stuff, but they make some socs for phones like the RAZR-I which had better battery life than the RAZR-M base model somehow.

The Dell Venue 8 7000 looks pretty slick. It's Android instead of dumb Windows, has a great screen (2560x1600 :eyepop:), and it's $50 cheaper than the ipad mini 3 (and 1.5mm thinner :smug:).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You can find them in some ~$100 Android tablets which work perfectly fine as a "here take this and play Toca Town on that and give me back my phone" device

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There's these $45 Android tablets coming out now that cost less than those LCD photo frames that were so popular about a decade ago as Christmas gifts, not sure what the value is in a market that's low-margin that's mostly disposable products rather than something higher value like iPhones and flagship compute devices?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
But could those photo frames spy on you or present you with the latest ads???

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure you can just copy the files locally and take them off wi-fi, but point taken. You can root these tablets too probably and just run something you trust more than the stock OS.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
You could do that, or you could just buy a tablet that isn't a piece of poo poo designed to serve malware.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I got a $20 Chinese tablet with an Allwinner soc to be my daughters "play your junky games on here with no wifi/internet enabled so you don't go buying poo poo via IAPs" and it's not even fit to be a photoframe. The drat thing randomly factory resets itself every day or two

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

cisco privilege posted:

You could do that, or you could just buy a tablet that isn't a piece of poo poo designed to serve malware.

Use them as a literal photo frame.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WhyteRyce posted:

I got a $20 Chinese tablet with an Allwinner soc to be my daughters "play your junky games on here with no wifi/internet enabled so you don't go buying poo poo via IAPs" and it's not even fit to be a photoframe. The drat thing randomly factory resets itself every day or two

Consider that a feature, and not a bug.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crushable Object posted:

Since Intel bought McAfee has it become any less awful?

I think I already know the answer but time for comedy hour.

Just go with a good free AV [mse, avg, whatever] + common sense when browsing. MacAfee EPO was ejected from my workplace recently for deciding to eat a few webservers one night.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I swear the only reason why McAfee is on so many computers at this point is because it comes (or at least came) in your Comcast internet package

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Also flash player has it selected to install by default.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Potato Salad posted:

Just go with a good free AV [mse, avg, whatever] + common sense when browsing. MacAfee EPO was ejected from my workplace recently for deciding to eat a few webservers one night.

Most free ones aren't any good though. If you look at comparative reviews from the big testing labs Microsoft in particular last I checked only has about a 70% success rate - the top grade ones are at something more like 99%. MacAfee is definitely total poo poo though.

Norton performs really well, despite what neckbeards stuck in 2001 will tell you, although it can be very aggressive if you tell it too and bring up more false positives. Kaspersky also consistently rates at the top.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Lord Bude posted:

Most free ones aren't any good though. If you look at comparative reviews from the big testing labs Microsoft in particular last I checked only has about a 70% success rate - the top grade ones are at something more like 99%. MacAfee is definitely total poo poo though.

Norton performs really well, despite what neckbeards stuck in 2001 will tell you, although it can be very aggressive if you tell it too and bring up more false positives. Kaspersky also consistently rates at the top.

The comparatives don't seem to hold much similarity to real world usage though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Lord Bude posted:

Norton performs really well, despite what neckbeards stuck in 2001 will tell you, although it can be very aggressive if you tell it too and bring up more false positives.

But it.....a......--hmmmm.

I need to go re-think my opinions.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Hey, remember that time that AV Comparatives habitually refuses months to years of Windows and other software updates that Microsoft and everyone else on the Internet relies on to block the stuff that's patched already? I mean it's better than the old "Windows 7 SP1 never Windows Updated ever" but it's still pretty bad.

And that time that AV Comparatives habitually assumes a user so dumb and spiteful that you're probably threatening national security by giving them a mint-in-box iPad?

Yeah those are standard operating procedure (Flash Player 12 wtf and they don't even BOTHER accounting for Chrome). You can ask them yourself. Not a surprise when you check out who their grant money comes from.

Also I never see discussion of how anyone handles CVEs, either damning or exonerating. The recent spat between Google and Microsoft is revelatory (and probably capable of inducing crippling depression in the IT Crew here) and they have the least to gain by sitting on vulnerabilities.

This discussion seems to happen in every SHSC thread. And it seems to go the same way in every SHSC thread.

EDIT: Simply by being here and typing in the manner of someone who has heard of English grammar and style selects yourself as someone who Probably Knows Better than most Internet users, and you're probably fine with Microsoft AV (and actually keeping your software actually up to date, and with the sad state of the Web these days probably ad-block) - or whatever thing filters files entering and exiting Mac/Linux hosts or guests - unless you go out of your way to live dangerously. Stubborn family members are going to require training or iPads, in case-by-case measure.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 11, 2015

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
Adblock is the best antivirus

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Adblock is the best antivirus

It has recently been usurped by ublock which does the same thing but with way less page lag and resource usage, but yeah.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Daviclond posted:

It has recently been usurped by ublock which does the same thing but with way less page lag and resource usage, but yeah.

What if we're not using Chromium on Linux Mint 64?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Daviclond posted:

Weird things are happening with the ublock project.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

It's also excellent on Firefox

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Panty Saluter posted:

It's in the Chrome webstore?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

It's in the Chrome webstore?

Twice even.
Open source drama is the best, especially if it involves forks :allears:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The resource usage comparisons are nice but I think I'll stick with ABP because it doesn't seem to be semi-abandoned.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I don't know if uBlock even needs much in the way of updates at this point. It seems to be entirely stable, and most of the work comes in keeping the filter lists updated which is handled separately.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
That's true but if you don't have someone watching and plugging holes it's only a matter of time before a dedicated malcontent finds an exploit.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
That's the thing though, all it does it strip out HTML based on regular expressions pulled from a filter list. There's not exactly a lot of complexity to take advantage of there; the largest vulnerability is the filter list itself, and if that's compromised it doesn't really matter what ad blocker you use. I can see updates for small performance tweaks and fixes for edge cases, but I think all the core functionality is solid.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is my i5 constantly running at the turbo boost speed while I'm playing games? Its on the stock cooler.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If it needs to, yea. If the game is GPU limited (Many are, depending on your resolution) it might not be.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Prorat posted:

Is my i5 constantly running at the turbo boost speed while I'm playing games? Its on the stock cooler.
Maybe? It's probably running at several different speeds depending on system load. An app like HWiNFO, CPU-z, or AIDA64 should be able to show you the CPU speeds per-core if you want to see it in action or to see if you're GPU limited in something.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Speaking of corechat from the other day, I saw a meme the other day titled "multi core performance on PC games".
I wish I could find it again. It was a photo of these guys digging a hole with shovels. The only one actually digging was labeled Core 0, and Cores 1-7 were all sitting around watching.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
0 and 1 should have been digging with 2 and 3 kinda half-assing it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It should have been Core 3.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Core 0 needs to be doing the task at hand, core 1 keeping tabs on the street traffic, and 2 and 3 managing networking aka dicking around on their smartphones.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Speaking of corechat from the other day, I saw a meme the other day titled "multi core performance on PC games".
I wish I could find it again. It was a photo of these guys digging a hole with shovels. The only one actually digging was labeled Core 0, and Cores 1-7 were all sitting around watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Looks just like my 6-core-w/HT Xeon except a couple guys short. Occasionally Core 10 will get a wild hair up its rear end and do all the work for awhile.