Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Shine posted:

We want the ball, and we're going to score.

Stop triggering me :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Great White Hope posted:

To be fair, he's pretty forgettable. The most notable thing Tyler Reks did was have the same hairstyle as a debuting in TNA Matt Hardy.

I went back and watched some pre-developmental NXT recently, and the Reks/Hawkins tag team was actually pretty entertaining on a consistent basis. NXT Redemption gets a lot of poo poo, but those two along with Curtis and Bateman made it worth watching.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i watched an attitude era raw and the reason raw sucks now is that there's literally a zero percent chance that a broadcast will end with Mike Tyson shouting "human being!"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

That DICK! posted:

i watched an attitude era raw and the reason raw sucks now is that there's literally a zero percent chance that a broadcast will end with Mike Tyson shouting "human being!"

I started watching those from the beginning and The Artist Formerly Known As Goldust is just godawful. Even for the late 90s this is embarrassingly dated gay panic.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Attitude Era RAWs were good because one time they were sponsored by Bushido Blade

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

bushido blade wouldn't be allowed to get over in the pg era

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Benne posted:

Stop triggering me :mad:

Darrell Bevell

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

One week we're going to get the announcement that Daniel Bryan is spontaneously retiring. He's fine. He's just gone to live on a farm with lots of space to run around on. But he's fine... Absolutely fine :qq:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sex Robot posted:

One week we're going to get the announcement that Daniel Bryan is spontaneously retiring. He's fine. He's just gone to live on a farm with lots of space to run around on. But he's fine... Absolutely fine :qq:

Is he a farm again? Because he was a farm last time and it turned out ok

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Bushido Blade would get a 3/10 from IGN for being too difficult.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Because it's hilarious. What's he saying?

Something something says GIVE ME MORE.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
They really really should have swapped Reigns and Bryan for the Mania matches. It was obvious then, it's way more obvious and sad now. Bryan going out on getting slaughtered by Brock and screwed by Seth would have been way more fitting than a farty ladder match for the poo poo belt.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

schweens posted:

Darrell Bevell

Literally the only time in my life watching sports where I thought I could've made a better play call than the people on the sidelines

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ed: ^^ Me for the Ravens/49ers SB. Ravens should have lost, I fully expected a run play, instead 3 passes and we won. Amazing.

Chokes McGee posted:

If you wanna call "getting one surgery instead of the recommended two and getting hurt again less than 4 months after returning early" ok, sure I guess

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DeathChicken posted:

Bushido Blade would get a 3/10 from IGN for being too difficult.

it got an 8.7

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Authorman posted:

They really really should have swapped Reigns and Bryan for the Mania matches. It was obvious then, it's way more obvious and sad now. Bryan going out on getting slaughtered by Brock and screwed by Seth would have been way more fitting than a farty ladder match for the poo poo belt.
There's a very real chance that DB can't take a Brock beatdown, let alone the one Reigns took.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

pressedbunny posted:

There's a very real chance that DB can't take a Brock beatdown, let alone the one Reigns took.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Chokes McGee posted:

Well CM Punk became a pizza store and that stuck, so who knows?

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
If he could ladder bump and tope like an idiot for three months, he could have taken twenty suplexes in one match. Or it could've been more mat oriented where Bryan tries his man of a 1000 holds schtick only to get reversed and mma'd to hell with only a handful of suplexes and backbumps along the way. Maybe have Brock kayfabe break his arm with a kimura, but Bryan keeps on going as a callback to that era of Brock instead. Protects the yes lock as a move and forces him to do the four corner knee spot. Any number of things.

They could've made it work.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Authorman posted:

If he could ladder bump and tope like an idiot for three months, he could have taken twenty suplexes in one match. Or it could've been more mat oriented where Bryan tries his man of a 1000 holds schtick only to get reversed and mma'd to hell with only a handful of suplexes and backbumps along the way. Maybe have Brock kayfabe break his arm with a kimura, but Bryan keeps on going as a callback to that era of Brock instead. Protects the yes lock as a move and forces him to do the four corner knee spot. Any number of things.

They could've made it work.

I dunno man, I'd guess a Brock beating would be deceptively worse for a guy with neck problems.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Bee posted:

Well CM Punk became a pizza store and that stuck, so who knows?

But then he turned into an anime and I don't even know anymore

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
If Bryans done then it would be really nice (but highly unlikely) if Wade got the 'I ended his career' rub with one last match or beating. He'd get a ton of heel mileage gloating about it.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Bryan is going to live upstate on a nice farm where he'll get to run around all day.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Well, at least I got to see Bryan live in those great matches against Ziggler before and after Mania, open the show itself to a huge reaction, and also wrestle Doug Williams in my home county in 2003 :britain:

My other favourite guys were Benoit, Angle and Punk. What I'm saying is best case scenario is he decides to go to UFC.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I'd wait and see how Punks first few matches go.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Supreme Allah posted:

I'd wait and see how Punks first few matches go.

To get beat up as bad as Angle is who the gently caress are they going to get him to fight, Megatron?

RBX posted:

I really miss CM Punk.

I'm just watching the Lesnar match from Summerslam 13 and it's way better than I remembered, I forget if he was already a skeleton being held up by antibiotics by then.

Who knew that the two guys fighting for the title at Over The Limit 2012 would end up being an unemployed shoot fighter landlord and a farm respectively.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I remember when Bryan returned from injury in 2007 he started doing a more MMA influenced style which seemed like a way to take less wear and tear while having great matches. He then did the grossest headbutt spot in history a month later. He can have great matches without taking so many bumps and he's over to the point where his safer stuff is more over than his crazy bumps. I never understood why he did the super belly to back. No one ever bought it as a nearfall and it wasn't half as over as say the Regal Plex.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I dunno man, I'd guess a Brock beating would be deceptively worse for a guy with neck problems.

On top of that its hard for me to care about them booking Reigns/Lesnar because the right man won.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I remember when Bryan returned from injury in 2007 he started doing a more MMA influenced style which seemed like a way to take less wear and tear while having great matches. He then did the grossest headbutt spot in history a month later. He can have great matches without taking so many bumps and he's over to the point where his safer stuff is more over than his crazy bumps. I never understood why he did the super belly to back. No one ever bought it as a nearfall and it wasn't half as over as say the Regal Plex.

People have been telling him for a decade to quit it with the loving headbutts. Dude didn't even remember how many concussions he suffered before his ROH title stint.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

He then did the grossest headbutt spot in history a month later

which headbutt spot is this

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Speaking of our farm Bryan:

quote:

Bryan was sent home after the Smackdown tapings due to being banged up. We don't know the extent of it, but he was being protected on the current European tour due to injuries and he's scheduled to get the injuries checked up on when he gets back home. He was doing trios matches instead of IC title matches with Barrett, which were originally scheduled. At press time it isn't clear if he'll be able to work at Extreme Rules, where he was to defend the IC title against Barrett. There was also a plan to do a Cena vs. Bryan match on Raw, which turned into Cena vs. Barrett as the sub. In his matches this week, he generally worked very little of the match, with his big spots saved for the very finish where he pinned Barrett with the Busaiku knee. He also didn't wrestle on Raw, only working a dark match and in that one he was in about a minute, and just did a backstage segment with Kane. On Smackdown, he did work the main event, teaming with Cena, but Cena worked almost the entire match with Bryan just getting the hot tag and working through a finish. I was told on a few shows he only did one bump and came in just for the finish. There was concern for him even before, with people worried because he was wrestling the same style as before, and he was coming off a near career ending neck injury, with the feeling that given his injury that his body was not going to be able to hold up for a long period of time without adjusting his ring style, and that he needs longevity because he's just starting to make the real big money.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Speaking of our farm Bryan:

Vince really can't help himself when it comes to rushing angles huh

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

triplexpac posted:

Vince really can't help himself when it comes to rushing angles huh

Seriously, if there's a match that can pop a nice buyrate Network sub rate, it's Cena/Bryan II.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aye Doc posted:

which headbutt spot is this

vs Nigel McGuinness from the ROH Driven PPV (but taped at an earlier show in Philly.) They basically charged straight at each other and did unprotected headbutts repeatedly until Bryan was busted open hardway. If you've seen a random photo of him from his ROH days with a face full of blood that doesn't look like a blade job you've seen the aftermath.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

And would that mean Cena's open challenge series would just have not continued, or would it be title vs title? Seems completely crazy to put that match on tv with no build.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

vs Nigel McGuinness from the ROH Driven PPV (but taped at an earlier show in Philly.) They basically charged straight at each other and did unprotected headbutts repeatedly until Bryan was busted open hardway. If you've seen a random photo of him from his ROH days with a face full of blood that doesn't look like a blade job you've seen the aftermath.

thanks!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It was pretty much the most incredible thing I had ever seen live when it happened. I think the Benoit murders happened the next weekend. We all hoped concussions only counted if they happened after the murders.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The more commercials I see for it, the more I suspect that The Marine 4 may be one of the worst movies ever made.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
I could see them doing Cena vs Bryan on a London RAW, since they've done big matches like that before for the London audience. They had Cena vs HBK which lasted almost an hour one time, and they also had Team Hell No with the Undertaker vs the Shield another time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

The more commercials I see for it, the more I suspect that The Marine 4 may be one of the worst movies ever made.

I saw the first one and it was a hilarious trainwreck, and almost a literal interpretation of Robot Chicken's "Michael Bay Presents Explosions" sketch. The one saving grace was Robert Patrick chewing scenery.

Has anyone seen the other sequels? How terrible are they?

• Locked thread