Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Olesh posted:

Weeks later, the files are cut and uploaded. This should be up until 4/24, so if anyone has a better hosting option feel free to rehost.

Seriously, work has been such bullshit lately.

you could take the audio files and upload them to soundcloud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

shalafi4 posted:

you could take the audio files and upload them to soundcloud?

Let's just sum up the reason why not as "technically against Soundcloud's TOS" and leave it at that. If anyone wishes to rehost it themselves in a more long-term fashion or take it upon themselves to host it on soundcloud anonymously, that's fine, but the legal state of performing covers or arrangements of copyrighted music (even for free) is a murky area and I don't want to get involved with liability issues arising from widespread sharing, even if the odds are incredibly unlikely.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
For all people who wanted this game, it's now on sale for 40% off ($14.23)

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Olesh posted:

Weeks later, the files are cut and uploaded. This should be up until 4/24, so if anyone has a better hosting option feel free to rehost.

Seriously, work has been such bullshit lately.

Just listen to Chrono Cross - Time's Scar and try to picture the fingers moving that fast. I skimmed through the video music admittedly, but listened to all of these.

KozmoNaut posted:

This is rad and you should feel rad.

Basically this.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
These are fantastic. Thanks Olesh!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Echoing the thanks, Olesh! Really nice stuff!

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Olesh posted:

Let's just sum up the reason why not as "technically against Soundcloud's TOS" and leave it at that. If anyone wishes to rehost it themselves in a more long-term fashion or take it upon themselves to host it on soundcloud anonymously, that's fine, but the legal state of performing covers or arrangements of copyrighted music (even for free) is a murky area and I don't want to get involved with liability issues arising from widespread sharing, even if the odds are incredibly unlikely.

*facepalm*

That is a very good point.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
Well, I have to pick this up pretty much as soon as possible.

One thing I noticed as I was looking around for info on this game; no idea if it works or was patched out, but a few people mentioned that if you took all the alchemy ingredients out of your Alchemist's inventory except the one you actually wanted to duplicate then you could get more of that particular one faster. I could see that making sense depending on how they coded it so it might be worth testing.

Not that I condone infinite generation of stat-up potions or anything. Now infinite bombs, on the other hand...

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Someone correct me if they feel I'm wrong. But I think this would be a perfect game for a tablet.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

How would you control it effectively? Remember that it is real-time and not turn-based, so speed plays a factor. The only way I could see it work would be to have a set of virtual arrows on the left side of the screen for movement, and then you could tap the portraits on the right side to attack etc.

But this approach has already been done many years ago:

Of course, those games used the mouse, not a touchscreen, but the idea is still clunky and unwieldy.

I think a better question would be "what would being on a tablet add to Grimrock 2?", and I believe the answer is "nothing". However, there is a touchscreen mode in the options menu, which lets you play the game on PC-based tablet. And it is both clunky and unwieldy.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

How would you control it effectively? Remember that it is real-time and not turn-based, so speed plays a factor. The only way I could see it work would be to have a set of virtual arrows on the left side of the screen for movement, and then you could tap the portraits on the right side to attack etc.

But this approach has already been done many years ago:

<EYE OF THE MOTHERFUCKING BEHOLDER>

Of course, those games used the mouse, not a touchscreen, but the idea is still clunky and unwieldy.

I think a better question would be "what would being on a tablet add to Grimrock 2?", and I believe the answer is "nothing". However, there is a touchscreen mode in the options menu, which lets you play the game on PC-based tablet. And it is both clunky and unwieldy.

There's no compelling reason why the game shouldn't run perfectly well on a tablet. You have two hands, and aside from movement all controls are done with the mouse. An EOTB-style movement compass and appropriate multi-touch support (to enable to you manage movement while also interacting with the rest of the screen) is all that would be required.

Making it feel and behave well takes additional work, sure, but there's no basic UI/design reason why it shouldn't be a perfectly fine way to play the game - it's implementation that's the issue.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Alright, like I said I was on break last week but now I got a video ready to go.

Episode 14 - Youtube

The actual video starts at 50 seconds in, the first 50 seconds is actually currently being edited out by youtube but that won't finish for like an hour and I don't feel like waiting to post it.

So for you early adopters just skip ahead, if you check out the thread in like 90 minutes or whatever you'll be fine.

I don't have alot to say about this new area without spoiling anything in the video. It's just the area above the sewers, I think it's called the Hamlet of Stormbreach, though there aren't really many buildings around so I think it must've been a pretty lovely hamlet.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Any ref to Cheibros is a good reference by me.

I like that little meteor spell, pretty badass.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent
I laughed out loud at the "glitch in the Martix" joke. Good one.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Not sure if it was brought up in the vids, but I seem to recall that the torch would illuminate a distance of 3 squares around you (in a 7x7 area), while the light spell would only illuminate a distance of 2 squares (5x5 area). Giving the torch a trade-off of improving your line of sight while sacrificing a hand slot. Is this why you enjoy it so much, or do you just enjoy the mood lighting?

Sessile fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 23, 2015

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I just like the mood lighting. The dull red/brown light is much nicer than the brighter white light. The spell feels like one of those uncomfortably bright fluorescent lights.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
While it likely won't be important, you overlooked a set of lockpicks in the spike trap.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!
So I see you got your introduction to air elementals :haw:

If they had done weakness by elements (like they did for the rest of the elementals), it should be weak to earth/poison, but they instead went for the move that made earth worse and made it likely a reference to Dungeon Master (I believe, I've not seen dev confirmation on this). I say this because Dungeon Master had ghosts (with ugly green sprites) and they could only be damaged with a spell that could weaken non-material beings (Des Ew) or a weapon which had the same trait (Vorpal Blade)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So is it possible to cast a poison cloud, then box an enemy in the same square as the cloud so they constantly take damage? Or does the box spell essentially 'overwrite' the poison cloud?

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

So is it possible to cast a poison cloud, then box an enemy in the same square as the cloud so they constantly take damage? Or does the box spell essentially 'overwrite' the poison cloud?

That works, the damage is largely gonna be ticks of 1 (since the cloud is frontloaded on damage and is unfortunately far more likely to poison the party than enemies), but putting it in a forcefield also negates the potential danger to the party as well.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Oh boy! The mines!

The mines are home to our old friends, the spiders, as the April Fool's update showed.

They're also home to an enemy that can gently caress right off.

I want to see Agent deal with one, if only so I can know what I was doing wrong. The only tips I have for the upcoming fights with this dangerous enemy type are 'KILL IT WITH FIRE AND CANNONFIRE!'

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Agent355, shame on you.

You missed a unique throwing weapon during this episode. It's in the water.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Agent355, shame on you.

You missed a unique throwing weapon during this episode. It's in the water.

I meant to bring that up when I posted originally. Agent is bad and/or unobservant, I have the memory of a goldfish, water is wet, etc.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

ohhhh right. I found that in my practice run but it was so long ago I forgot about it this time. I'll go pick it up sometime.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Plus there is still a secret in the submerged vault near the Water shrine that you failed to get.

Something you should probably investigate.

If you're serious about the Crystal Armor that is.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thadius posted:

Plus there is still a secret in the submerged vault near the Water shrine that you failed to get.

Something you should probably investigate.

If you're serious about the Crystal Armor that is.

Yah I was intentionally saving that for reasons that'll be more obvious in the last video. Intentionally in the sense that once I missed it I intentionally didn't go back and get it for a reason.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Update time.

Episode 15 - Youtube

The next zone has a really nice aestehetic and some cool enemies. The hidden buttons are also pretty hard to find, at least until you find the first one and realize where to look.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I think you missed a rock friend in the long, straight mine corridor.

No rock left behind, right?

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
I'm pretty sure the walls of those caves are made of rocks.. I wonder if there is a pick axe in this game?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I thought spiders had spineretts on their butts where the stinger was.

Though insects and arachnids don't scale well to human sizes. No bones or circulatory system goes poorly at our level.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Veloxyll posted:

Though insects and arachnids don't scale well to human sizes. No bones or circulatory system goes poorly at our level.

Thats just what a giant australian spider that learned english would want us to think.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Are we sure it's Australian? I notice the lack of a clock or lifebar on its back.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Veloxyll posted:

It's really just the circulatory system that's the problem.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Are you just at the Crystal Mines way later than you should be, because those spiders seem like a bit of a cake walk at this point in the game?

Also, being a Canadian that lives in Australia, I can honestly say that the spiders here are just a tiny bit smaller than the ones in that last video, but on the other side, their poison is like infinity times more deadly

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

PotatoManJack posted:

Are you just at the Crystal Mines way later than you should be, because those spiders seem like a bit of a cake walk at this point in the game?

Also, being a Canadian that lives in Australia, I can honestly say that the spiders here are just a tiny bit smaller than the ones in that last video, but on the other side, their poison is like infinity times more deadly

We talked about this a little bit in the sewer video, but the game is essentially a lot less linear and more open than the first game. There's benefits and drawbacks, but one of the drawbacks is that since you could theoretically head to pretty much any area in any order, and there's no indication of which way is "correct" or "easiest", it's possible to head to the hardest areas first and end up treating the remainder as a cakewalk - and if even the "hardest" areas are possible to do out of the gate, you don't get the same kind of logical difficulty progression like you would in the first game, where the progression is linear and predictable.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

For instance I 100% shouldn't gone into the graveyard from a difficulty point of view. I found weapons I still haven't replaced in there and since then everything has seemed pretty easy.

Thats coming to an end soon however as we already have 3 of the four macguffins so the open ended exploration face is clearly going to turn into the focused end game phase pretty quick I think.

I know exactly whats going to happen and whats going on so don't go :goonsay: on me

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Such a shame you can't pick up the spiders.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 4, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Neruz posted:

Such a shame you can't pick up the spiders.

Reminds me of the Jagged Alliance remake. "You found a spider. It has eight legs and is alive." *clicks spider* *munching noises* :stonk:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Pierzak posted:

Reminds me of the Jagged Alliance remake. "You found a spider. It has eight legs and is alive." *clicks spider* *munching noises* :stonk:

Spider actually tastes quite similar to Crab, but less salty :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Crustaceans – bugs of the sea

• Locked thread