Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
drat... would buy so HARD if I didn't already have f/4 zoom L glass and good high ISO performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Any concerns with buying lenses used from B&H instead of canon?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's cheaper and probably the same or better quality.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I use KEH and never thought twice about it. Been great every time.

Speaking of used lenses I'm picking up a 135mm f2L from Adorama tomorrow :cool:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Thoogsby posted:

Speaking of used lenses I'm picking up a 135mm f2L from Adorama tomorrow :cool:

Good pick! It's a fabulous lens. :cool:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I love my 135mm f2, but I do wish it had IS. I have a pretty steady hand but that focal length is a bit tricky.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

6D somehow corrupted the SD card with my honeymoon pictures so that nothing else will read it.

Thank babby red-ring Jesus for wifi, though the camera interface is rather obtuse and I had to reinstall EOS utility (and 3 other useless bloatware programs that one cannot opt out of) to get things working.

I now understand why event photographers refuse to use anything that doesn't write to 2 cards. :ohdear:

For an extra laugh, I tried it on the EOS-M I bought for backpacking, figured that camera had a dead reader, and was reminded that I really did buy an EOS-M. poo poo.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alpenglow posted:

For an extra laugh, I tried it on the EOS-M I bought for backpacking, figured that camera had a dead reader, and was reminded that I really did buy an EOS-M. poo poo.
I like you

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Alpenglow posted:

I like my EOS-M.

I only use it for video though, with old Olympus prime lenses.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I always want to like mine, but I don't use it enough to really figure out the menus.

Just bought a G7x for an upcoming trip to Europe. Given that it will be in P or auto mode most of the time, probably a better fit for my use. It just arrived today- have to see how I like it or whether I'll return it for an RX100 of some stripe.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
What's the thread consensus on which wireless shutter remote to use?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

pseudonordic posted:

What's the thread consensus on which wireless shutter remote to use?

Be like me and buy the Nikon one accidentally.

It worked poorly.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
I'm interested in upgrading to a full frame 5D Mark III. However, I'm hearing rumors of a 5D Mark IV around the corner. Is a price drop likely for the Mark III if that happens?

I'm trying to find more information, but all I can find are vague rumors and unconfirmed reports. Where is a good reliable source for these kinds of things? Currently eyeing the bundle kit on BHphoto with the 24-105mm lens.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The 5D III has already dropped in price rather dramatically since its release ($3500 -> $2500). I don't expect it to fall much further right at the release of a hypothetical IV because they've already carved out room at that price point for a new body. Maybe it would go to $2000?

The 5Ds also adds some uncertainty to their future lineup.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 4, 2015

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The 5D III has already dropped in price rather dramatically since its release ($3500 -> $2500). I don't expect it to fall much further right at the release of a hypothetical IV because they've already carved out room at that price point for a new body. Maybe it would go to $2000?

The 5Ds also adds some uncertainty to their future lineup.
Part of me wants to save up an extra thousand and jump on the latest technology, but I can't justify spending that much. Especially when that money could be going towards a lens.

Any thoughts on the Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS lens compared to what I have currently? I'm shooting a 60D with a Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD and Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro. Would I see a significant upgrade in quality if I changed to the L lens? I'm tempted just because of the discount, but it appears that you can buy the bundle lens separately, so it's not much of a discount anyway.

I'm looking at this currently. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847546-REG/Canon_5260B009_EOS_5D_Mark_III.html

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Well for one you will notice how wide 24mm was really meant to be going from crop sensor/28mm to full frame/24mm.

Otherwise, I would classify the 24-105mm L as one of the best value for money lenses Canon makes, hands down. Its versatile enough with that IS, handy enough, sharp enough and even fast enough (with the good high ISO performance you'll get from a 5D3). Just mind the distortion at 24mm.

But before thinking about any of that, for gods sake get a 40mm pancake if you don't already have one because it is a straight baller focal length on full frame and great lens (cap).

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Seamonster posted:

Well for one you will notice how wide 24mm was really meant to be going from crop sensor/28mm to full frame/24mm.

Otherwise, I would classify the 24-105mm L as one of the best value for money lenses Canon makes, hands down. Its versatile enough with that IS, handy enough, sharp enough and even fast enough (with the good high ISO performance you'll get from a 5D3). Just mind the distortion at 24mm.

But before thinking about any of that, for gods sake get a 40mm pancake if you don't already have one because it is a straight baller focal length on full frame and great lens (cap).

Thanks for the tip! I've been looking for a good prime lens. I've been eyeing the 1.4, but there are times when I have trouble focusing with the narrow DOF when I shoot at 1.8, so I doubt I'll have much use for it, especially with the high ISO performance.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
After using my 70-200 f/4L for about 7 years, I can tell you that while the value was great, being stuck at f/4 *blows*.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Muttonchips posted:

Thanks for the tip! I've been looking for a good prime lens. I've been eyeing the 1.4, but there are times when I have trouble focusing with the narrow DOF when I shoot at 1.8, so I doubt I'll have much use for it, especially with the high ISO performance.

The AF system on a newer body will work better than your 60D, so you should be more accurate even with shallow DOF lenses.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

dakana posted:

After using my 70-200 f/4L for about 7 years, I can tell you that while the value was great, being stuck at f/4 *blows*.

This. Yes.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

It certainly does on old-rear end canon bodies. Its a lot nicer & more versatile on something that doesn't suck over 1600 iso. Its also a lot more reasonable to hike with than the 2.8.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
How many Canon bodies don't suck over 1600?

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
I'm assuming the F/4 would be a non-issue for me, since I will be able to make up the difference with ISO. However, I already have third party lenses that cover that same range, so I'm going to get the body only. If I'm not happy with the performance of my third party, it looks like I can order the bundle lens for cheaper than MSRP anyway. From what I am reading, it's a good lens that performs well and is a good value, but I'm not seeing any reasons I should be using the L-lens instead of the third party. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks to this thread, now I'm looking at either the nifty fifty, or the pancake. I thought the saving up would be the hard part (and it wasn't easy), but that I finally have the money, I keep going back and forth as far as what I want to spend it on.

:negative:

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Thoogsby posted:

How many Canon bodies don't suck over 1600?

The 6D is actually pretty the bomb as far as high-iso goes

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Muttonchips posted:

Thanks to this thread, now I'm looking at either the nifty fifty, or the pancake. I thought the saving up would be the hard part (and it wasn't easy), but that I finally have the money, I keep going back and forth as far as what I want to spend it on.

:negative:
What you should get is the 35IS

theloafingone
Mar 8, 2006
no images are allowed, only text

somnambulist posted:

I love my 135mm f2, but I do wish it had IS. I have a pretty steady hand but that focal length is a bit tricky.

I've rented this lens before and was nothing short of blown away. If they release an IS version with all the latest bells/whistles, I will probably get it instantly. Or maybe Sigma will release a 135 f/1.8 OS...

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Muttonchips posted:

Pancake. The only reason people recommend the fifty is because it's cheap, but the pancake is a really good lens.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

evil_bunnY posted:

What you should get is the 35IS

The 35mm IS is nice but you can get a 40mm for general and a 85mm 1.8 for portraits with the roughly the same $$$.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Muttonchips posted:

If you want something all around good, get the shorty forty. If you want a gimmick lens for low light and narrow DoF, get the nifty fifty.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

timrenzi574 posted:

The 6D is actually pretty the bomb as far as high-iso goes

Yeah that's what I used it with. It was a rental to shoot a wedding last summer and going back to my 40D afterwards was depressing.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
I have a friend who has a pancake, so I'm going to borrow it and give it the ole' college try.

One last question before I finally bite the bullet and order. Is this deluxe kit a good deal at all?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909666-REG/canon_eos_5d_mark_iii.html

I'm interested in the remote as I want to do a lot of macro, and a grip would be wonderful,
but everything appears to be third party. Anyone have any experience with these brands?

Thanks for all the help so far!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I picked up a used 135 f2L today. This lens is cool.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Big dumb idiot alert incoming:

I went to a community thing today despite the pouring rain and brought my 6D along. I have a plastic sleeve thing whatever that fits over the camera so you can shoot in the rain. What negates the use of the loving thing is when you decide to point your camera down and push the plastic out of the way to review shots while still standing standing in the rain.

Suddenly my directional pad was half working, OK button totally non-functional, review button brings up the delete photo option, Q brings up photo review, delete brings up menu. I removed the battery, wiped off the camera as best as i could, left it in the car, and grabbed the T2i and continued shooting (with a plastic sleeve, as well)

As we drove home I held up the 6D to the vents to get some heat to maybe dry it out. In retrospect I'm thinking this was between a bad and terrible loving idea... Was it?

Got the camera back home, decided to try it again, slapped in a battery, turned it on, and it seems that all the buttons have regained functionality. I didn't leave it on too long to really stress test it or whatever. I stuck camera + lens into a tub with a bed of rice:

Is this actually going to do anything? Or do I need to submerge the fucker in rice?

I'm such a goddamn moron.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

If the buttons worked when you got home you are probably safe. Keeping it in the rice overnight can't hurt.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Keep it in rice for a little longer. Chances are there's still some residual water left that could move/evaporate and condensate on something important, so better to dry it out completely.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I left my 5d3 out overnight unprotected shooting a meteor shower time-lapse and it poured down rain for hours. It acted veeeery weirdly when I brought it in, similar issues to yours with some buttons not working, some buttons doing actions of other buttons, but I put it in the oven at 120 degrees, then did the rice thing - submerged it in a big mixing bowl full for 2 days. It ended up working fine and hasn't had any problems since, thank satan. Dodged a very expensive bullet there.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'll keep it on the rice for another day or so. I've read other examples online of people reporting the same thing when they are out in the rain or even in humidity. Only one I've seen where the issues returned was a guy who likely had salt water get into his camera.

Fingers crossed.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 10, 2015

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Brand new nifty fifty.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3611651742/canon-announces-50mm-f1-8-stm-lens

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

I sold off my old 50 1.8 a while back and ended up kind of regretting it. I was just about to buy a new one. Guess I'll hold off for this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Vastarien posted:

I sold off my old 50 1.8 a while back and ended up kind of regretting it. I was just about to buy a new one. Guess I'll hold off for this one!

This is looking like a much better lens for not that much for money.