Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatherwolf
Aug 2, 2012

What?
When you do you need to take note that Capcom made BoF 4 a bit more kid friendly for America.
Scias in America has a stutter, but in Japan it a drunken slur. Yes, Scias spend the whole game drunk out of his mind in BoF 4. He awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh lord. If that's Guy, Dekar must be Mr. Huge.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wasn't Dekar's art posted earlier?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Glazius posted:

Oh lord. If that's Guy, Dekar must be Mr. Huge.

Be prepared for disappointment.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Dekar may not be Mr. Huge, but he is most definitely not a disappointment.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

CmdrKing posted:

Dekar may not be Mr. Huge, but he is most definitely not a disappointment.

His appearance is (to me at least).

Personality wise he's fine.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

mauman posted:

Dekar's new design owns.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I have no problems with Dekar's design change, though I do feel like that the redesign softened some of the more interesting qualities he had, such as being pretty sensitive for someone who was introduced and looked like a brute.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

SC Bracer posted:

Dekar's new design owns.

To each their own I suppose.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
I'm still enjoying the characterization of the DS remake quite a bit. The dialog falls a bit flat sometimes, but so did Lufia 2's.

That said, I agree with the, "Guy's visual design makes more sense for Dekar" camp, but if his meathead-quotient drops a bit over the next few updates it'll probably grow on me.

Tia's :stare: made the Rochy scene golden.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

mauman posted:

Ah, good, good. I adore the new design honestly, but yeah I can't fault anyone for finding it offputting.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Right, so, with school and an internship taking up most of my time, I haven't been able to LP nearly as well as I ought to. So for the next month or so, while I get my classes finished up, I'm going to put this sucker on hiatus. Sorry for the delay, and I'll see you guys in mid-May.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I blame Lexis.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Looking forward to the return, best of luck with classes!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
If only Dekar were here he'd ram his head into that internship and fix it right up for you.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Right, tax season is over, school is winding down, and I'll be dropping an update in an hour or two. Let's get this LP rolling again!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Amazing, I was just thinking of this LP today. I think you have access to two new capsule monsters now.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Chapter 27: It's Been a While

Right, gambling over. We've been set free into the open world, and it's time for the plot to kick in again.

The ocean's a whole new world for us, full of strange and unfamiliar enemies.

Pretty sure that's just a swordfish.

In addition to an endless swarm of Moby Dicks, we've also got to contend with the Currents.

Yes, these things are called Currents. I don't even know what it's supposed to be.

I didn't show this before, but Idura did in fact blow up the shrine. I think it's the first time a villain has actually succeeded in destroying a dungeon.

Regardless, pretty much the entire world is now open to us, thanks to our boat. So what's stopping us from just buying endgame gear at one of the later towns?

Well, they thought of that.

It's not like you'd be able to afford the stuff they're selling here anyway, not with the regular gold gain.

There is one area that we can play around with right now. If you remember from back when we got Foomy, that little forest-y area might seem a little familiar.

Yessir, it's time for another one of our little pals.

I don't like him.

Darbi is the Capsule Monster of Shadow, which makes him useless against Undead right off the bat, but it gets better.

You see, he has Gusto/Idura's dodging ability, but his agility is so mediocre that he can barely make use of it.

His GUT stat is so low, even lower than YBURN's, that any damage taken will make him run. Guaranteed.

So what's the bright side? Well, his domain is status ailments. Many of his attacks have a chance to inflict some status effect, if not kill enemies outright. So assuming he can go before the enemy, assuming his AI decides to use the right move instead of punching with his stubbly little arms, he can be useful.

Also, his intellect is very good, for what it's worth.

So, backtracking to Auralio for a second, we get the clue that leads us to our next destination. It's a good thing that the game tells us this, because...

It's literally a straight shot to the south after the watergate.

Some freedom to explore, eh? Welcome to the Kingdom of Ferim.

Gee, I wonder.

Our princely flavor of the month, not to be confused with Prince Alex, Leon, or that other one, is wooing the Princess Jerit, who apparently gets her jollies sending potential suiters off to die in monster-infested towers.

You might think I'm truncating the plot a little, but really, who cares about all these subplots? The game's just taking the same sprites we've seen dozens of times, slapping a different label on them, and rearranging them in different ways.

I mean, check out this guy. He's one of the most important characters in this little story, when he looks like two incompetent thieves should be hucking bombs at him.

: I guess you have excellent eyes.

: It's not only my eyes that are excellent. I am also a good swordsman. My name is Hans.

: I'm Guy. This is Maxim, Selan, and Lexis.

: Maxim? You're the party that did Gades in. What a stroke of luck to meet you!

: Even people on the Ustark Continent are talking about us!?

: Anyone who knows anything at all about swordsmanship would know about you.

Well, technically, only half of this party beat Gades, and it was only the chump version.

: By the way, do you know anything about the guy who landed on the Northeast Tower?

: Someone has landed on the Northeast Tower?

: Yeah, some stranger. Since he appeared, monsters have begun to appear in hordes.

: I guess the remaining Sinistrals we haven't met?

: What...who are the remaining Sinistrals?

: I hear there are three others with the power of Gades. That might be one of them.

: What!? If that's really true, then...

: Yes. That means this kingdom could be in danger.

: Alright, I'll check out the Northeast Tower later.

: I wouldn't move on this fast. They're a lot stronger than you think.

: But I was going to the Northeast Tower anyway. There's something I have to do over there.

: What do you mean?

: Eric's attendant asked me to bring the gem back from that tower.

: And you agreed!?

: ......

: I've got to go. See you guys later.

Poor guy. We barely knew him.

Dunno when we picked up mind reading powers, but if you needed further motivation to follow Hans, there's a surprise waiting in the throne room.

: No...you mean somebody else talked to you about the tower?

: Yes. One lady traveler told the King that it was dangerous to get close to the tower. Of course, he didn't take it seriously. Somebody said she also headed to the Northeast Tower.

Iris sure does have a knack for being one step ahead of us.

Before we head out, it's time for the requisite outfitting and spelling.

Oh yeah, now we're getting into the good stuff. Champion, Firebird, and Ice Valk are the third-tier healing, fire, and ice spells respectively. Even a magical dunce like Maxim can pretend to be competent with these.

Except for Firebird because, you know, he can't use fire spells.

The weapons aren't bad either. This is a major jump in attack power for Guy.

The road to the tower is riddled with assassins, so this is a perfect time to try out our new toys.

Every final-tier elemental spell involves summoning some being or other to nuke the baddies directly.

It's alright, though I would have expected a little more damage.

Ice Valk reminds me a lot of Illusion of Gaia. The whole "shadowy figure in a starry void" aesthetic.

I will say this for Assassins, they're a challenge at any level. Hard to power through insta-death attacks. Although there ARE certain pieces of equipment that block it.

This is a good omen of things to come.

Anyways, let's go find us a gemstone.

I will admit, this may have not been the best dungeon for showing off a Shadow monster.

Yes, the giant floating head turned into four ghosts. Don't ask.

Well, that WOULD have been some impressive damage.

Curiously, Darbi doesn't have the same immunity against Shadow magic. Not sure why.

I'm truncating this dungeon a bit because there's a lot of optional stuff that only gets you attacked by monsters. Treasure is actually at a bit of a premium here.

For this puzzle, imagine that the two arrow blocks are actually locks holding this bridge in place.

Once the locks are "disengaged" the bridge can be moved over to the other side of the room.

...Is that a sentient head of brocolli?

No, it's actually a hydra hidora, and these guys are mean.

Their regular attack hits your entire party, or they can focus on a single member for a staggering amount of damage. Either way, it hurts.

And wouldn't you know it, but the little stinker actually used an ability on a valid target. Miracles do happen.

A lot of Darbi's abilities are regular spells with a dark color filter over them. I don't mind the coloration though.

Not bad damage for a Tier 3 CM, by the way. Let's see if we can improve on it a little.

As big and scary as he might be now, he's not that much tougher. Despite the name, Terminate is NOT one of his insta-kill spells. Those only pop up for his Tier 3 and 5 forms.

Ah, great. More of these guys.

Ninjas have dropped Terminal Blow in favor of just doing more damage in general.

Which isn't saying much, but even this tiny paper cut is enough for Darbi to...

Yeah. It begins.

Samurai are about as fast as Ninjas and have a chance of critting.

Rinse and repeat.

Hold on, what's a taser doing here?

Anachronisms aside, the Stun Gun has a good chance of paralyzing enemies with the basic attack alone. The IP attack just makes it a 100% chance, assuming the enemy's vulnerable to it.

You know what though, I'm tired of enemies who go before the rest of the team. It's annoying, it's frustrating, and I have an infinite supply of arrows to freeze them in place.

Assuming they don't zoom across the room to attack me anyway.

I should mention that all these shots of Darbi running happen before it even gets a turn.

Cowardly CM's aside, this puzzle's a slight challenge, but only slightly.

Our mission is to flip these panels from black to white by stepping over them. Stepping on a white tile flips it back to black, so we can't just wander around everywhere.

Well, actually we can. Most of the puzzle is easily solvable just by doing a quick pass of the area. Then it's just cleaning up the stragglers.

So how'd that gemstone get up to the top of this tower in the first place?

Upgraded pumpkin men!

As the name implies, they like to inflict confusion.

Too bad that they have piss-poor luck.

Here's the Ninja's other attack. It doesn't seem like much, but several turns of that can pile up the damage.

Fortunately, Champion is cheap and hilariously powerful. This is Selan, of course, but even Maxim would be able to do 100-200 healing on the whole party.

I'm noticing a trend here.

And now we come to the denouement of this dungeon.

As we ride this moving platform, running past an arrow switch will make it change direction.

Long story short, we've got to change the direction in order to ride to the platforms with treasure.

Samurai is a pretty powerful attack when it crits. Pretty solid.

And here's the ninja equivalent!

Turnabout is a dish served cold.

I'll spare you all the running around. Suffice to say that it's mostly trial and error.

That's five minutes of my life that I won't get back.

Get lost.

Man, between Darbi's frustrating antics, the enemies, and the somewhat bland puzzles, this dungeon has been a drag.

And we're not done.

Fortunately, this gimmick's pretty simple. You just have to trap the samurai in with their buttons. Now we can FINALLY encounter the boss of this dungeon.

...Is there an express elevator for NPC's or something?

: I...I can't move my body...

Let's hope he doesn't have an itchy nose.

: Something's here, Maxim!

: This feeling...could this be...?

: Yeah, I sense it. It's like Gades, but somehow more than that!

: Aaah!

You must not feel embarrassed. That is the normal way of things in the waves.

That's right. After what seemed like an eternity of padding, the plot is finally rearing its head again.

: Who are you!?

: I call myself Amon, Master of Chaos.

: Amon...Master of Chaos?

: So you're one of the four Sinistrals, huh!? How about the other two?

: I see you know about us already. But it matters not. You can do nothing to stop us. The other two, Daos and Erim, will descend soon. Too bad you can't even get close to them.

: Shut your mouth!

Sadly, we don't get a chance to fight Amon early. His farts are just too powerful.

: Guy!!

: Do not throw away your life so fast. I shall show you true terror in time.

Feel free to chime in any time, Lexis.

: Yeah, but this doesn't look good. Gades's Power is nothing compared to Amon's.

: I'm so embarrassed. I was unable to move even a step. I cowered before Amon.

: That's normal.

: I overestimated myself. I'll practice and get a lot stronger!

: By the way, did you get the gem the princess was talking about?

: No, not yet. It should be inside that door.

You can't say that he doesn't know what game he's in.

: I don't see any gems anywhere.

: Yeah. There's only this blue stone and that's all.

: No, this is it. This blue stone is it!

: That blue stone is a gem? It looks like an ordinary stone.

: Yes. This is just a stone. But this should be it. I'll return to the castle.

...Have I gone colorblind? I mean, green is close to blue...

: What was that about? Say, Maxim, why don't we go back to the castle, too?

Yeah, sure.

BUT FIRST!

: Yes...I think that's it.

: Silence! Stop this nonsense! You just couldn't find the gem, could you!?

It's not even blue, you nerd!

: Here, you take it! What do I need a pebble for, huh!? Oh, what can I do?

: Are you sure?

: I prepared a sapphire of excellent quality just in case something like this happened.

: Excellent, excellent job! Shall we go and see the Princess, then!?

: What?

: Yes.

: Did you find the gem?

: No.

: Oh, I see...

: But, I did find something you had lost.

: What?

: Something you had lost when we were children.

: Princess...

: I still treasure it.

: I had no idea, a stone...

It's a surprise to me too.

: Princess...I...I am still not worthy of you.

: I've grown used to waiting. But please, don't make me wait much longer!

: I won't. I promise.

: Oh, you're still here? You can leave now.

: Don't think you can get away with this! I'm the only one that can bail the castle out!

: Watch your tongue! I'm a King. I can do quite well without depending on you!

: I hope you don't live to regret this!

Bail them out from what? Would someone please explain this to me?

I'm beginning to think that this game might not be as good as I remember it.

Oh, you might be wondering where our party is right now.

: I guess so.

Yeah. From their perspective, a whole bunch of people just walked out without any explanation.

: Excuse me! I was in a hurry...

: What's wrong?

: A man has destroyed the village of Agurio north of the Northeast Tower! I have to tell the King.

: Maxim!

: Yeah, that must be Amon!

: Not again! They did it again!

: Let's go!

: Yeah!

And Lexis is once again completely silent.

Next Time: Energy waves! Plot reveals! Submarines!

Renaming! Five letters!

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

CHCKN

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure the "Currents" are supposed to be ancient aquatic dinosaurs, like plesiosaurs.

CHCKN is pretty good, or we could go for irony and use BRAVE.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I was thinking CHUMP.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
ROBIN, bravest of the brave.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Brony Hunter posted:

That took me a moment. I was wondering what Batman's meatshield had to do with being brave...

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah yes, plot scripted farts to prevent the party from fighting a boss too early. The most heinous of tactics.

Brony Hunter posted:

This is my vote as well for Darbi's name.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ROBIN as well.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think that 'unicorn' enermy is supposed to be a narwhal. In medieval times, stories about narwhals were actually intertwined with myths about unicorns. And even to this day, there's people who think narwhals are just a myth.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Wimpy.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
Current=かいりゅう/kairyuu

Apparently the translator interpreted the hiragana as 海流 which is ocean current instead of 海龍 which means sea dragon.

You might have noticed, but She Viper is also supposed to be Sea Viper.

Also are you acting clueless as to what's going on at the end as part of the joke since you said you 'truncated' the plot a little? Thus cutting out the 'backstory'(read: one or two pieces of NPC dialogue) for why they were going to have the princess marry the rich guy in the first place.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

The n00b Avenger posted:

Also are you acting clueless as to what's going on at the end as part of the joke since you said you 'truncated' the plot a little? Thus cutting out the 'backstory'(read: one or two pieces of NPC dialogue) for why they were going to have the princess marry the rich guy in the first place.

Actually, I legit have no idea. I'm pretty sure I was thorough in talking to NPC's, but I didn't see any actual context clues for why the kingdom needs a rich guy to bail them out.

Nor do I especially care.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
It's nothing you can't figure out on your own, really. It just boiled down to 'this country is pretty loving poor' so they brought in a rich prince as a suitor.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
A village called "Agurio," really?

I wonder if Aguro's name was different in Japanese or something. That's just weird.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
Aguro is Aguros in Japanese.

Though it's probably meant to be romanized as Agros.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The n00b Avenger posted:

Current=かいりゅう/kairyuu

Apparently the translator interpreted the hiragana as 海流 which is ocean current instead of 海龍 which means sea dragon.

You might have noticed, but She Viper is also supposed to be Sea Viper.

They look they were based off plesiosauruses.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
He's not a man, he's a chicken Boo

The blue/green gem is probably the whole aoi (青い) color rearing its head again. A lot of things that we'd lump in under both green and blue are described by that word in Japanese, including traffic lights, the sky, plants, and apples. There's some psychological implications to this as well, suggesting that if you don't differentiate in lingual terms you won't differentiate when you actually see things.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Keep in mind that translators rarely, if ever, have actual context when they translate games.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
We shall name it BTSTR short for Brave toaster.

Lexis is just lost in thought, that's why he's quiet.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Blastinus posted:

Actually, I legit have no idea. I'm pretty sure I was thorough in talking to NPC's, but I didn't see any actual context clues for why the kingdom needs a rich guy to bail them out.

Nor do I especially care.

Sure you want to keep doing this LP, dude?

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinction_of_blue_and_green_in_various_languages#Japanese

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

PFlats posted:

Sure you want to keep doing this LP, dude?

Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I am griping a lot about this section of the game, but it's mostly because it's setting up a lot of things that honestly don't go much of anywhere. This game has a preoccupation with little stories featuring interchangeable NPC's that you meet for a dungeon's length of gameplay that have nothing to do with the overarching plot with the Sinistrals. From this point on, the Sinistrals will be taking center stage, more or less, and the padding will decrease dramatically.

Heck, Lexis even gets to talk next update, believe it or not. Speaking of next update...

:siren: Voting is closed! :siren:

It was hard to find one that I enjoyed the most, since they all followed the same basic theme, but ROBIN works.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Blastinus posted:

Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I am griping a lot about this section of the game, but it's mostly because it's setting up a lot of things that honestly don't go much of anywhere. This game has a preoccupation with little stories featuring interchangeable NPC's that you meet for a dungeon's length of gameplay that have nothing to do with the overarching plot with the Sinistrals. From this point on, the Sinistrals will be taking center stage, more or less, and the padding will decrease dramatically.

I have fond memories of this game but yeah, I'd forgotten just how much filler there was. Like you say, it gets better soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Blastinus is pretty much right. Lufia 2 is an excellent first ~40% and an excellent last 20%, but the parts in the middle are pretty lame.

• Locked thread