Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I always wondered what :negative: was from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm pretty sure the "meaningless grain of sand" quote from :negative: is a reference to the lyrical album for the original MOTHER.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's in the lyrics to Flying Man's song.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Likewise, a Worthless Protoplasm is a very forgettable and weak enemy from Earthbound...

...which is still probably stronger than Negative Man.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The theme music of :negative: man at first I thought I stumbled unto a optional superboss.

Since it's a Mother game though, it turned out to be an optional wimpyboss.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Between Negative Man and the Mystery Metal Monkey (a nod to the DQ series's Metal Slime et al.), they do play on your expectations a bit and keep things interesting in this little section.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

It's time to catch up with Ionia, the Magypsie who first taught Lucas PSI and guided him on his current quest to pull all the needles.

Oh! It's so good to see you again!

You always struck me as a bit of a crybaby, but you've grown so strong.

Let's see... This slightly plain-looking fellow...What was it, again?

It's a pleasure to meet you, Duster. I know very well that your fate lies in helping vute li'l Lucas here.

I've watched you since you were very little, but this is the prettiest you've ever been now. You're absolutely fabulous. I know you might say, "Cut that crap out!" ...but it's the truth. *giggle*

Ooh! Fabulous! My absolute favorite! Yummy Pickles! You brought them all the way here for me? Thank you! These pickles will be the last thing I eat before I vanish... I'm going to realy enjoy them.

Aeolia, Doria, Lydia, Phrygia, and Mixy... *giggle* I mean, Mixolydia. They've all disappeared, now that "the time" has come... And now it's my turn. That leaves only my Needle in Chupichupyoi Temple, and the one missing Needle...

The temple is covered in vines frozen in time. You can't get inside with them as they are. You'll need to sprinkle these "Waters of Time" on them.

We can now take care of those vines and pull the next needle.

But considering every recent needle has had some sort of boss, we might as well heal up.

As a nice touch, we get this music upon waking up. I don't even know if it plays between Lucas first waking up in Chapter 4 and now.

Outside of Ionia's home is an ordinary person.

So that old badge of Flint's? It was actually a Franklin Badge, a rather unique item important in all three Mother games for its ability to reflect electricity off the wearer. This also applies to all lightning attacks in-battle, so it's always handy to hold on to, though we get this one much later than in the other two games.

That said, this Mr. Saturn doesn't really walk away. In fact, he has a lot of unique dialogue if you keep talking to him. Keep note that every new "line" (each new dot) is every time you talk to him, where after enough times he just repeats the "Potential!" line.

Hey guess what!!!

Yep, the Pigmasks are already here too, though at least this time we're the ones catching them off-guard.

At least they're not having much luck either.

Welp, so much for that plan.

This time, we're facing off against a Colonel and two Majors.

The Colonel has a shield, so of course we're going to snatch it.

He's also a pain, being able to damage three characters for big damage among other things.

I took out the Majors no problem, but Kumatora went down in the meantime.

No biggie, as Healing Gamma will revive her just fine.

Wall Staples work well, and from there I take him out with little problem. He has less than a thousand HP, so no biggie.

He also has a 3% chance of dropping the Awesome Cloak, a Lucas-only body equip with the same defense as the Pumice Charm but with resistance to fire, freeze, and lightning. Alright drop, but not really worth grinding for.

After that, the Pigmasks are done having their fun and retreat as usual.

The Masked Man, of course, doesn't scare so easily.

You know where this is going, right?

Yep, now the Masked Man is getting a taste of his own medicine.

This is it. This is the last boss of Chapter 7, and it's a doozy.

Meet the Masked Man. He has a whopping 5000HP and of course high offense and defense. And he starts off with a shield, of course.

The "official" strategy book says you really want Lucas at L50 for this fight, as that's when he learns Lifeup Omega, which heals the entire party. I'm around L47 and don't feel like grinding, plus it adds to the challenge.

For once, I'm not going to use shields since he can nullify them.

Which means I'm going to go with two stacks each of the Offense and Defense buffs and debuffs. Lucas will be doing the buffs, of course, Kumatora and Duster working on the debuffs, and Boney starting off with the Shield Snatcher.

The Masked Man attacks twice a round. A beam is his normal attack and does decent damage.

I pretty much relegate Kumatora to healing duty all fight. Maybe if she knew Thunder Gamma for this fight, I'd be more aggressive, but as is Lucas does more damage with his physicals than two Thunders would (assuming they even hit). Masked Man has high elemental defenses.

Sometimes instead of beams, the Masked Man will swipe his sword for weak damage. Consider this a breather.

When you see this, you better drat well be prepared.

As apparently he is the only other person in the world who knows the power of PK Love and will unleash Gamma on you for incredibly high damage. The next round has everyone healing themselves (more items being used!).

One other big thing is that, though it can be difficult to inflict it, the Masked Man is vulnerable to crying. A couple missed beams go a long way.

He'll also use regular Love Alpha, which hurts but is manageable.

The last one is a thunder-type attack that hits three characters for 100 damage each.

Of course, if it hits Lucas, who is the one holding the Franklin Badge, it'll bounce back and hit the Masked Man for that much damage.

I even use my PP restoratives! We're almost at the end of the game and you get tons of restoratives for free anyway, plus this fight is difficult, so why not?

Another Love Gamma.

Fortunately, Lucas immediately lands the finishing blow on this guy.

We did it. We defeated the Masked Man.

Of course, we're going to let him get away, but at least we won this one. The Needle is ours.

That was easier than just ramming into it repeatedly hoping eventually the vines would get bored and fall off.

Oh, time started flowing again for the vines...
Lucas. Let's go inside.

No more gotchas this time.

Magypsies have guarded the seven Needles for many generations since.

But the Needles will be pulled when "the time" comes. And that time is now.

And then something big will happen... Something big enough to recreate the entire world. Lucas.

To accomplish this, you can't lose or give in, no matter what... Duster. Boney. And Princess Kumatora. Without heartfelt help from you, his friends, he cannot accomplish this task.

This PSI is so dangerous that I never intended to teach it to you...but I'm going to teach it to you right here, right now. Master this dangerous PSI technique so that you can help Lucas! Are you prepared?

Well, I hope she was.

PK Starstorm is Kumatora's ultimate attack. For 48PP, she can do around 650 damage to all enemies. It's pretty sweet.

Now, Lucas gets control and can talk to his companions.

...That masked man, was he...? Oh, well. It doesn't matter.
Lucas... I'm going to help you from here on out, no matter what happens. I made up my mind just now.

Thanks for the pickles earlier. The dog drool was a bit disconcerting, though. *giggle*

And with that, we're 3-3 with the Masked Man.

And Lucas also learns his ultimate attack, PK Love Omega. 50PP, does over 800 damage to all enemies. Truly an attack worthy of Lucas at this point.

Locria, the final, missing Magypsy, is rapidly nearing the seventh Needle! That's what I'm sensing.

Oh! Just when I'm about to tell where it is...! Aaah! I'm sorry. I'm disappearing now. Before i go, here are final mementos of me. A razor and lipstick. Remember me sometimes, okay?

Lucas, honey. Little Boney. Adorable Duster. And Princess Kumatora.

A very nice, easy-to-miss detail is Kumatora looking solemnly down. All the people who raised her are now gone, and she's definitely not one to say how she really feels, but you can still tell despite it going unsaid.

So...now what?

:siren: :siren:

END CHAPTER 7

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Poor Kumatora. :(

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know it's endgame when Starstorm comes out.

That was a pretty serious fight with the Masked Man too. Wow.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The mr Saturn was originally designed to disappear after handing you the badge. However due to a bug he just left the screen. The developers thought it was so funny they just let him in and gave him some lines.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The Masked Man's use of PK Love reminds me (and makes it not a spoiler to bring up), is it ever stated that PK Love is linked to the ability to pull the needles? I always assumed so because you get higher levels of Love from pulling needles and Masky is both the only other Love-wielder and the only other needle-puller, but I'm not sure if there's any direct evidence.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

It says only those with the power of PK Love can pull the seven Needles. Not even we Magypsies have that ability. In other words, you're able to pull the Needles because you're a chosen boy.

note that it says "a" not "the" chosen boy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A shame Lucas couldn't pull all six needles so far and have a crazy-powerful (and crazy-expensive) PK Love version.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

The Masked Man's use of PK Love reminds me (and makes it not a spoiler to bring up), is it ever stated that PK Love is linked to the ability to pull the needles? I always assumed so because you get higher levels of Love from pulling needles and Masky is both the only other Love-wielder and the only other needle-puller, but I'm not sure if there's any direct evidence.

Only people with the power of pk love can pull the needles. Lucas is the first person that the magpies saw that could use pk love. That is part of reason that is a huge deal that the masked man can also use it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Welp, now I feel silly. I figured I had to have got the idea from somewhere, I just couldn't remember where.
On a slightly less :downs: note, it just occurred to me that this time Lucas is the one pulling a gotcha on the pigmasks. Kind of a nice feeling.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I get some serious Luke Skywalker/Protoman vibes from the Masked Man's appearance.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The reason why you want to be at Level 50 against the Masked Man is because that's the level when Lucas learns Lifeup Omega, which restores around 240 HP to each party member. That way, you can heal up after getting hit by Love Gamma.

Heftyheads are a good enemy to grind both because they give you lots of experience and because they have a 3% chance of dropping a Mystical Stick, which is Lucas's best weapon until the very end of the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As a reminder, we went from defeating the big general of the Pigmask Army and pulling the needle that sent away our last Magypsie friend and ally to having a stretch limo pull up in front of us.

Master Lucas, yes? Our great leader and new king of the entire world, Master Porky, cordially invites you to the greatest city in the world: New Pork City. I will take you there in this stretch limousine, so please step inside.

We get a Yes or No prompt. If we choose no:

Where Master Porky is concerned, there is no "no". So, what will you do? You will get inside, won't you?

We'll get this repeatedly until we finally say Yes.

Of course, I have to walk alllll the way around. *grumble* *grumble*

Oh yeah, the limo flies because.

It's much more spacious than it appears on the outside, wouldn't you agree? We'll arrive at New Pork City shortly, so please relax and enjoy yourselves for a while.

At this point, we're free to explore the limo. First priority is to bother the chauffeur repeatedly.

Master Lucas. Is this your first time to New Pork City? It's quite a different place from Tazmily, so I expect you'll find it rather surprising. Hahaha.

Over...

Do you know Master Porky, Master Lucas? This is the first time he's ever offered anyone an invitation, you know.

...and over...

Oh, this photo? It's of my wife and daughter. My wife's well-known in the neighborhood for her sense of humor.

...and over...

I've been doing this job for a long time now, you see... So I've been thinking about finally retiring and possibly taking over the egg stand my wife's family runs. Hahaha.

...and over...

Oh! See that ice cream cone-like cloud beneath the duck-shaped cloud up and east of there? No, not there! By the mountain ridge that looks like a mouse taking a bite out of a sunflower seed. No! Not there! Before that... Aaaaaahhhhh! Too late! We just passed it!

...and over, until...

I truly hate to say this, but you really are distracting me. Could I possibly ask that you refrain from talking to me?

Now that we've suitably annoyed the person driving us through the sky to the big bad's city, let's explore this thing.

It's cool.

It looks like you could sing a song from it, but you can't even get on it.

It's spicy, bitter, yucky poison, so kids can't drink it. Oh, wait. Grownups can't drink it, either.

The pockets have been designed to be quite large. It looks like you can play it, but you can't.

Actually, upon closer inspection, it's only a painting.

So far, this is a pretty weird limo. It's designed to appear fancy and upscale, but it's all an illusion of sorts.

Though the sofa's pretty relaxing at least.

Now that we've explored the place, we can talk to the chauffeur to trigger the next cutscene.

Yes!

Ladies and gentlemen, we've finally arrived. This is New Pork City.

And with that, we're officially started with Chapter 8, the final chapter of the game. This one is more in line with the length of previous chapters, though a bit longer since this is the finale of the game and such. Still, it's not nearly as long as Chapter 7.

You haven't forgotten anything, have you?

This can be handy, as this place is pretty big.

...With a different look.

Welp, nothing left to do but explore.

So, New Pork City.

It's pretty large. We start in the lower-left area. To advance the plot, we need to go inside the theater. Of course, we'll save that for last after we explore the rest of the city.

In the meantime, let's explore and talk to the people here, including many familiar faces.

I know, man. I know all about you. You're here to destroy New Pork City, aren't you?

You're free in this city. Master Porky has given you your freedom.

Walk, stop, sleep, shout... You're free to do it all!

This is the arcade. We'll stop by for a moment after we talk to some old friends.

Everyone else came to the city, so I couldn't just stay back there all alone... I figured there'd be something here for me if I came, but now I dunno. I'm not really sure... Do you feel the same way, Lucas?

Oh, Lucas. Did you follow me here for some of my slightly unclean and not very tasty cookies? Because I don't make those anymore. Have you forgotten?

This is an arcade, albeit smaller than other arcades in the series.

Man, this area stinks. No, it's not me. It's this area.

And don't you dare try to ram into me!

Guess what I do.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaah!! I TOLD you not to ram into me! Sheesh!

We can also play games ourselves for a few DP.

Should've watched the Let's Play of the game instead.

This place blows. Let's go check out the outside of the theater.

I was just talking about old times with Isaac. He's an important guy nowadays, you know.

I don't know if everyone is gathering here in the city, or if they're BEING gathered instead. But if you're here, Lucas, that means everyone really is here now.

Oh, it's me! Isaac! I'm a big shot now. But, Lucas, I didn't know you were anyone special! If you do anything to defy Master Porky...then you and me'll be enemies!

You know, this guy looks familiar...

I know you're from the sticks, but you should buy some of the sophisticated goods that New Pork has to offer!

Not that special this late into the game. Plus I get the feeling those two flavors don't mesh too well together.

Next, we go north into the center of the city, and from there we'll move in a counter-clockwise direction through the rest of the city.

I heard from Master Porky that you would be coming here. He says you're quite strong. In one way or another...

You can go anywhere you want, aside from the 100th floor of the Empire Porky Building. In fact, go have a look around at everything.

The New Year's Eve Bomb is different in that instead of doing damage, it has a chance of reducing all enemies' HP to 1, though of course it's unreliable at that. It's mainly useful for being one of two ways to kill an optional superboss later on, the other being the rare instant-kill effect from PK Flash. I'll show that off later.

More specifically, it's supposedly the divine protector of this city. I also hear some morons somewhere picked a fight with it and wound up in a world of hurt.

Here stands a statue of our great leader, Master Porky.

How do you fight a statue?

Next up is the tower in the top-center area.

Oh! Lucas! We were just practicing our comedy routine.

Everyone's here nowadays, so this is where you can see all your old friends again. But do you suppose the forest and Tazmily and all those other places are empty now? I wonder what's going to happen to them.

Even if the world was a four-chapter story, I'd spend all four of those chapters with him.

If I were to, say, compare my life to a story, I'd say we're at the start of the 15th chapter, out of 16 total.

The game pretty much throws upgrades at you at this point. I kit everyone up with most of my money. Pretty sure this is the best equipment you can buy besides an item or two in the theater.

Don't you dare touch it with your filthy, sticky fingers! If you'd be so kind. *smile* *smile*

This is the Empire Porky Building, headquarters for the Porky Corporation. So you're the ones who... Heh heh heh. No, no, no! It's nothing at all! Never mind me! *smile* *smile*

This is the Empire Porky Building, home of the wonderful leader himself. There's also a couple familiar faces lurking around here.

So you finally came too, Lucas? Is Flint still out looking for his missing son? If only he'd come to me for serious help, we might've been able to find him... He's an awkward fellow, that father of yours.

Oh? Even you wound up coming here? Please, don't cause us any more trouble.

Welcome. This is the Empire Porky Building, home of the great Master Porky.

There's also a mole cricket selling stuff here.

The sprays are still pointless, but it's where you can buy more Lifenoodles if you wish.

Item Guy is also hanging out in the lobby.

That said, we can't actually explore this place yet. Gotta kill time doing other things first.

"For our customers' greater satisfaction, we mix in about 20 bags of Hot Spring Powder each and every day."

Heading west from there, we reach the amusement park area.

I haven't gone on a date with Matt in such a long time. This really brings back memories.

*hic* *hic* *hiiiiiic* I hear that you say rude stuff about me, like that I'm a drunk and that I'm a boozehound. What're you talkin' 'bout? *hic* *hic* *hic* *hic* I'm just a middle-aged guy with hiccups!

Oh, you're here too, Lucas? I'd love to meet Master Porky someday. He's the person who built this city!

Everyone convinced me to come to the city, but I feel more dizzy than anything, really.

We can also check out the attractions here.

(That's one small step for man, one giant thrill for porkkind!)

To the left of the amusement park is another amusement.

These characters are yet another carryover from Earthbound.

But, the Sanchez Brothers and their friend are a very cheerful trio... They will make you happy. Insert 1 DP?

After that, they will spin. You'll win a prize if all three hit the same symbol, with the big prize being a Magic Tart with three 7's.

To the south is a restaurant with more people hanging around.

Oh! This array of artisticness I see before me! The lion-ness gushing forth from it! The mask-ness dripping from it! And this nose hair-ness! And the archaicness...? It's so magnificant it's positively frightening!

Dona's a sucker for art. She's been stuck to this spot for what seems forever now.

This is the big city life! Or is it? It somehow doesn't seem like it.

Apparently, all of the waitresses in the restaurant over there are robots built to look like the mother of some really important person.

I was just talking business with this tiny fellow here. I'm not really sure what I should do, though...

I was just talking business with this fellow here. I feel the time is finally ripe for us mole crickets to try our luck in the big city, you see. Are you an acquaintance of Jackie's, by any chance?

Yes:

Could you ask him if he'd be willing to partner with us mole crickets to strike it rich?

No:

Oh, that look says you're lying. Heh heh heh. Mole crickets like me who've lived at the forefront of the business world can easily see through such lies. *twinkle*

What should I do...?

Next up, the restaurant itself.

Oh dear god. This shop is hell, isn't it.

Ayaaaeee! I think it's a dung beetle!

There's nothing wrong with being picky!

I know I don't look like it, but I'm a robot! Honestly, now!

This shop's filled to the brim with pretty girls.

Fill yourself up with your favorite food, and nothing else! That's this restaurant's... rule.

Omelets Bowl
Omelets Curry
Omelets Fried Rice
Omelets Egg Soup
Omelets Soup
Meh Salad with Omelets Topping
Omelets Lunch
Omelets Combo
Omelets Set
Jumbo Omelets
Omelets Parfait
Omelets Juice
Omelets Special

I apparently missed a golden opportunity by not naming Lucas's favorite food as "poop".

This is where you can buy the best recovery items in the game. This stuff is pricy but the King Burger and Beefsteak will pretty much be a full heal most of the time. That said, I'm pretty sure the Cup of Lifenoodles is actually a full heal and is cheaper than Beefsteak (and only eighty DP more than the King Burger).

That door you're knocking on leads to a restroom. What business do you have in a restroom?!

Alright, we're finally done exploring the city. As I mentioned, to proceed the plot we must visit the theater. So let's do so.

More people to talk to! That's a thing to do, alright!

According to my research, stinkbugs appear to possess a terrific capacity for memorization. I'd love to study them to find out even more, but... they're just so stinky!

Apparently, there's some kind of stinky, smelly bug in the theater... Maybe I should just blow this popsicle stand.

Whenever you're not really sure what to do, the theater's the best place to go! Yep!

Oh! You're here too, Lucas? I guess everyone from Tazmily is here now. Eeeeveryone.

The Fake weapons aren't very useful, though the Red Hat is a decent head upgrade for Lucas and Boney, and the Angel Ribbon for Kumatora.

There's no admission fee at this theater! We're showing a wonderful adventure movie personally selected by Master Porky himself! But apparently a stinkbug has snuck inside and stunk up the place. I hate having to kill those things. Yuck!

Anyway, free movie! Wonder what's playing.

...what

There are starting to be way too many callbacks to Earthbound for it to be mere fanservice. And considering the big bad guy looks to be very similar to if not the same as one of the main antagonists of Earthbound...

But that can wait. Let's go bother the people watching the movie!

Stinkbugs stink up the place, wherever they go. You know, like these seats.

Rumor has it whenever you guys do somethin', earthquakes and tremors and stuff happen. What in the world do you guys do?!

A stinkbug? Yeah, I saw one earlier. Where could it have gone? Some people say that if you take a big whiff of a stinkbug's smell, your memory'll improve. If that's true, I'd sniff one without a second though.

Absolutely unbelievable. So THAT'S why this theater stinks to high heaven. It even looks like stinkbugs use it to come and go as they please!

If we try to run in the theater...

The only ones allowed to run inside the theater are the stars on the screen!

Huh? You don't know nothin' about no leader? But your leader wants to see you. Here I am, puttin' myself at risk to tell you this, and you honestly don't know the guy?

Never heard of a leader.

I see. So you really don't know about him. I dunno, maybe you're supposed to meet him without knowin' who he is or somethin'. He definitely wants to meet you guys, though. Your leader's bein' held in the MT Apartments, but you gotta go through the sewers to get there. As the name suggests, the place is empty. No one lives there at all. It's now a breeding ground for violent attack roaches, stinkbugs, rats, and stuff. So you could probably find your way there by following a stinkbug or something. Only problem is, they smell REALLY, really nasty! I'm talkin' major stinkage here!

Well, that's interesting, and so far our only lead for what to do next!

but he's actually just a figure made out of clay and dough, holding a bucket. You get the feeling you've seen it somewhere before.

but he's actually a figure made out of clay and dough. It's well-crafted.

Please don't come in here through the employee entrance.

This leads to the sewers, which we need to navigate to find our mysterious leader, right? Let's go!

Or not.

I love her more than my daughter.

Grandma didn't really wanna leave Tazmily. But everyone else left to come here, so...

These two will show up after you explore the theater a bit.

Anyway, so what do we need to do, anyway?

Try to find the stinkbug, of course. It's somewhere in the theater stinking the place up, and one of the NPCs mentioned it being able to lead us to our leader.

So it takes a bit of sniffing around, until...

Gotcha!

So, uh... looks like we just lost Boney instead. Welp.

Anyways, you can't get in through there. Hmm, where was it again...? I seem to recall there being an entrance somewhere, but it was someplace stupid... And that there was a ladder going down... And that I used to work part-time there a long time ago... Gah, I can't remember!

But I do. Remember the other area in the city that stinks pretty bad?

I can't check it out, though. The reason being that I'm afraid of dogs. Seriously, their noses are wet, they wag their tails, they lick people's faces... Gwah, I TOTALLY can't handle that.

Sure, weirdo.

Really? You must like dogs, then. So you'll go look for me? Okay, I'll open this heavy cover. I'm putting myself at major risk, though. Okaaaay!! I'll open this sewer entrance for you. Here goes nothin'!

The sewers are right down this ladder. Check on the dog for me! ...You don't think its nose is wet, do you?

Next time, we walk through a sewer to get our dog back. Also other stuff happens, but I have to be vague because this is the last chapter and there may be important stuff coming up, or maybe I'm just messing with you and it's actually unimportant stuff. But now you have to read the next update to find out, right?

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 29, 2015

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This game is just amazing at creating atmosphere. After feeling seriously bummed out by Tazmily being abandoned, you come here and see everybody again, but it's all so overwhelming and flashy and fake and strange. It really feels like serious poo poo is about to go down.

Mega64 posted:

Ayaaaeee! I think it's a dung beetle!

VENGEANCE FOR BUZZ BUZZ! :argh:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

More random trivia: Using the Fake Bat and Fake Frying Pan will change the sound of Lucas and Kumatora's rhythm battle sounds to dinky, unappealing sounds.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Welcome to the worst stage in Brawl.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh yes, something else that Brawl spoils. An endgame area that you don't even have to unlock to fight on. Thanks a lot Brawl.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ah, the part of the game where the plot goes off the rails. Also, my favorite part of Mother 3.

Waffleman_ posted:

Smash 4 makes me truly realize how awful some of the design decisions were for Brawl. For example, you would always face a Mother character in Classic on this stage, because I guess fighting on retro stages is gauche.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh yes, something else that Brawl spoils. An endgame area that you don't even have to unlock to fight on. Thanks a lot Brawl.
Is Lucas's trophy description in Smash 4 is a knowing wink to Brawl's numerous Mother 3 spoilers?

Mega64 posted:

So you finally came too, Lucas? Is Flint still out looking for his missing son? If only he'd come to me for serious help, we might've been able to find him... He's an awkward fellow, that father of yours.

Oh? Even you wound up coming here? Please, don't cause us any more trouble.
What a couple of assholes.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Y-Hat posted:

What a couple of assholes.

I've always seen Jonel and Brenda as just being very, very self-absorbed.

Mega64 posted:

Even if the world was a four-chapter story, I'd spend all four of those chapters with him.

:allears: This couple. Forget avenging Hinawa, forget finding Claus. The party should fight just so this couple can continue to be free to love and be so adorable together.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Quoting's a pain in a phone, but you've got a typoed "just" on the second piece of theatre dialogue.

e: autocorrect :argh:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

PORKY! All bets are off, poo poo's going to go DOWN!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Carbon dioxide posted:

PORKY! All bets are off, poo poo's going to go DOWN!
Yes... :chef:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmGrKuvsQE8

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
On the whole, I liked Mother 3 a lot - enough to play it to the end when the fan translation came out, and enough to follow this LP, but the whole part about the idyllic village life being ruined because of people moving to the city just kind of irritated me. It's kind of a personal thing with the problems I faced in the small town I grew up in myself, and I don't know if anyone else here would be able to relate.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Quoting's a pain in a phone, but you've got a typoed "just" on the second piece of theatre dialogue.

e: autocorrect :argh:

Couldn't find it, though I did find a couple other typos that I fixed.

Kairinko
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Apparently, there's some kind of stinky, smelly bug in the theater... Maybe I should jsut blow this popsicle stand.

Mega64 posted:

Couldn't find it, though I did find a couple other typos that I fixed.

I think this is what he's talking about.

Also, fantastic LP! I've just read all of what you've done so far and really enjoyed it. Mother 3 is such a wonderful addition to the series and you're handling it incredibly well.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I see it now, fixed. Thanks to both of you!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I kind of like that the obvious sewer entrance is actually inaccessible to us.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SorataYuy posted:

I've always seen Jonel and Brenda as just being very, very self-absorbed.
That would make them no different than most of Tazmily's townsfolk after Fassad gave them the gift of consumerism.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Polybius91 posted:

On the whole, I liked Mother 3 a lot - enough to play it to the end when the fan translation came out, and enough to follow this LP, but the whole part about the idyllic village life being ruined because of people moving to the city just kind of irritated me. It's kind of a personal thing with the problems I faced in the small town I grew up in myself, and I don't know if anyone else here would be able to relate.

It's more about a society without the concept of money, founded on communitarianism and sharing vs capitalism than it is rural/suburb vs urban.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Now I'm picturing Alternate Universe Mother 3, where Tazmily is an aging but well-maintained and multicultural tower block with a strong tenants' association and a socialist ethos, and New Pork City is an uncanny valley suburbia - The Milkman Conspiracy without the twisted geometry, perhaps.

Or heck, with it.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 30, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This is a sewer. Thankfully, it's pretty short and there's a hot spring mid-way through so you can blast through the enemies with ease.

Between the sewer noise you'll hear Boney barking his head off.

There are only two enemies here, the Putrid Moldyman and the Metal Attack Roach. The latter's pretty unimportant, just attacking a person twice for underwhelming damage and occasionally stunning a character. I didn't run into it on the way to our destination, and showing it off on the return trip would break the flow a bit, so here's its music:

The Putrid Moldymen have alright offense but wreck you with status effects like nausea and poison.

Also, the mementos revive the holder should they fall, though the memento goes away. It's automatic, too, so it's used even if you wouldn't bother on a trash enemy.

It has no name.

There's two pieces of alright treasure and then this jerk move.

It made the mistake of popping up next to a hot spring in the first area we get to use our new PSI on.

So yeah, PK Starstorm is pretty amazing.

So yeah, PK Love Omega is pretty amazing.

Before we reach our destination, we can buy wares from this mole cricket who just happens to be doing business in a sewer.

The MT Apartments are a filthy dump devoid of people. It's two floors of abandonment. Considering this is Mother 3, the people who lived here were probably too lazy to clean up after themselves and just left to be lazy elsewhere. It's not surprising it's right in the middle of the entertainment sector of New Pork City, because that seems just how Porky would plan a city from what we've heard of him.

Anyway, Boney is waiting for us at least.

(I chased after a strange-smelling bug and somehow wound up here.)

And with that, Boney rejoins the team. At least he got some exercise.

I think this is also the first time he "talked" since Chapter 5.

(But never mind that! L-l-look what's in this next room...!)

It's time we come face-to-face with this mysterious leader. Who is it, you wonder?

Yep, it's Leder. Leder is our leader.

It must be a real shock to hear me speaking for once.
It wasn't that I couldn't talk all this time. I simply chose
not to. As I rang that Cross Road bell, deep inside my heart
I had decided I would speak to no one. But the secrets I've
been guarding are now starting to leak out.

Lucas.
The time has come to tell you everything. What I'm about
to tell you, you might not want to know. Even so,
you absolutely must hear it.

He's not kidding. We're about to get a massive plot dump that goes into the very backstory of Mother 3.

Let's begin.

Given who you are and how you've lived, what I have to say
will tear at your hearts, and there is just so much
to tell. So I've decided to have the stinkbug trembling
behind me memorize everything I say.

Ready, Mr. Stinkbug?

Long ago, there existed a "world". A world different from what
the people on these islands think of. This "world" was
incredibly big. More people lived on this world than there are
grains of sand on these Nowhere Islands. I know it may be hard
to imagine, but such a world once existed.

At some point, the world wound up destroyed. Naturally, it was
humans who destroyed it. In the back of their minds, everyone
had an inkling that it would happen at some point. And then it
really did happen.

...And so, the world is no more.

Summary: Mother 3 is a post-apocalyptic world.

Also, Leder will ask if you understood each section. Just say yes and he'll go on.

Just before the end of the world, a "White Ship" came to these
islands. On it were all the people of Tazmily Village. Yes.
Aboard the White Ship were those few who had managed to escape
the "world".

The people on the ship still went by their names from the
previous world. This "White Ship" plan had been set in place
before the world was destroyed. And, although they're part of
the world, these Nowhere Islands are a special place. They were
the one place that would remain, even if the world was lost.
The one and only place where people could survive.

And so the White Ship arrived at these islands.

So, all the Tazmily villagers? Survivors of the apocalypse who just happened to find the one place in the world that would protect them.

The reason these islands are special is because they harbor a
giant dragon nearly as large as the islands themselves.

Long, long ago, people lived together with the Dragon. However,
at some point in time, the people and the Dragon could no
longer coexist. So, using the seven Needles, the Dragon was
placed into a long, long sleep by the ancestors of the Magypsy
people, who have lived here since ancient times. Ever since, the
Magypsies have guarded the Needles, in an effort to prevent the
Dragon from being woken until its power is truly needed.

Thus, until the time of its awakening, the Dragon continued to
sleep, as the power of the earth itself. And so, because of the
tremendous energy of the Dragon hidden deep below, these islands
were protected from the end of the world.

We already knew about the Dragon, Magypsies, and the Needles. The only new info is that this dragon is apparently so powerful that even while sleeping his aura protects the islands.

Those who came here aboard the White Ship feared another "End
of the World" more than anything else. They felt that the
world's destruction was a direct result of the way they had
lived. The people of the White Ship discussed things at great
length. They shared their wisdom and spoke with grave
seriousness. And then they arrived at their conclusion.

They decided to completely erase everyone's memories of the
previous "world" and start their lives over with new rules and
new roles. Yes.

In short, everyone would play out the ideal "story" that they
had come up with. That is what happened. The people would
restart their lives in a simple, peaceful village, in the kind
of place they wished they had grown up in. They would erase
their memory of everything: the world, their belongings, their
rules...and then they would begin their new lives. Everyone's
old memories would be reset and replaced with their newly-
created "story". And thus the village of Tazmily came to be.

However, it was necessary to record the fact that the memory
replacement had taken place. The Hummingbird Egg was the device
used to store the memories of the White Ship people. Wess and
his son Duster, both playing the roles of thieves, were set to
take action should a dangerous situation occur. Remember when
they went to Osohe Castle? They went there to retrieve the
secret of the "People of the White Ship".

And there's one other thing. Me. It was essential that one
person retain memory of the previous world to sort of "keep
watch" over things. I was the only one in the village of Tazmily
who wasn't given a role in the new "story." The sound of my bell
served as a "suggestion", to keep everyone's fabricated
memories from reverting. My name "Leder" comes from the word
"Leader." No, no, that doesn't mean I was anyone special. It
was just that I was particularly taller than all the others.

So, upon discussion, I was selected because it would be easier
for me to stand out. Being so tall, people would want to come
see me, you know? And so I was given the role of revealing these
secrets when the time truly called for it.

So the White Ship people are all, "Man, it'd be really cool if we lived without the horrors of modern life and just lived simple lives like our ancestors", just like everyone else thinks at one time or another before they realize, man, life would be so boring without the internet. But since the apocalypse took down the internet, they went with the idea and collectively shoved all their old memories in an egg because this is a video game. So the Hummingbird Egg that was such a big deal for most of the game is actually everyone's memories. Also, Leder's the one person who gets to keep his memory because, like, he's really tall and stuff, and he rings a bell constantly so people will be too distracted to remember they're pretending to live an idyllic town life instead of being apocalypse survivors role playing an idyllic town life.

Let me also talk about Osohe Castle. Apparently, long ago, a
kingdom existed on this island, centered around the king of
Osohe. However, when we arrived on the White Ship, the people
of this kingdom were gone. It seems they had left the islands,
fearing the Dragon's eventual awakening someday.

Before boarding the White Ship, Princess Kumatora was an infant
who had lost her mother and father. Upon coming to these
islands, she was given to the Magypsies to raise, and given the
role of princess of Osohe Castle. Wess and Duster being her
retainers was another part of the fabricated "story".

Osohe Castle is one of the few and precious relics of this
island's "past". We crafted our story in haste, so the people
inside it have very little "past" or "history". Have you noticed
no one in Tazmily can talk about things from 100 or 1000 years
ago? In truth, we HAD wanted to create an entire plethora of
myths and legends...but our story was made in such a hurry that
we weren't able to. It's a real shame.

I'm sure that much of what I'm saying, you'd rather not hear,
but it's the truth.

So Kumatora was an orphan that the townspeople decided to give to the resident Magypsies because, hey, someone needs to be royalty for this random castle here. Also, everyone was too rushed to come up with a proper backstory and history for their town but it's not like anyone's going to notice so no biggie.

Truthfully, we had no idea how Tazmily Village would turn out.
But things actually went rather well. The people who had arrived
on the White Ship had fully taken to their new identities.
They believed they had always lived together peacefully.

It was when a person by the name of Porky stumbled upon these
islands that everything started to go amok. It seems he used a
"Time Distorter" machine to travel through time and space at
will. However, he was apparently shut out from all other times
and spaces and tumbled into this era and these islands. Even
worse, he used his Time Distorter to bring many people from
other eras here. The Pigmasks, as well as everyone in New
Pork City, were all brought here and brainwashed by Porky.

This Porky fellow seems to view these islands as his own
personal "toy box", with which he can do anything he wants. He
would take animals apart and recombine them to make creepy, new
"Chimeras". As a child-like dictator, he began doing whatever
he pleased, including building Thunder Tower and forming his
own army.

Porky eventually learned the White Ship secret because of a
traitor among the Magypsies.

In Earthbound, there is a device called the Phase Distorter created by Dr. Andonuts that Ness's annoying neighbor Pokey steals to travel back in time and be pals with big bad Giygas. It's quite possible this is the same or a similar device.

I'll go ahead and confirm what you all probably already know by now: Pokey from Earthbound is indeed Porky, the big bad of Mother 3. In fact, Pokey itself is a bit of a mistranslation that Tomato decided to fix for this game due to the big pork theme of Porky's army.

Anyway, Porky hasn't changed a bit and is still an immature twat who takes glee over the destruction he creates with his own maliciousness, including the Chimeras and Thunder Tower. Also, all the random NPCs we see popping up around Chapter 4 or so are unfortunate victims from other dimensions funneled here by Porky because hell, why not. In fact, the game starts proper in Chapter 1 when Porky's army of Pigmasks first interacts with the Tazmily Village area.

But Porky is not alone in his mischief.

This traitor was Locria, the seventh Magypsy, and the only one
you haven't met yet. After Locria joined forces with Porky,
Porky learned about the White Ship people and the secret of
the sleeping Dragon.

Porky decided to pull the Needles to wake the Dragon, so he
could use the power for himself. The Dragon is the power of the
very earth itself, you see. It's said that whoever pulls the
sealing Needles will become the Dragon's master. However, only
a very select few are capable of pulling the Dragon's Needles.
Apparently, neither the Magypsies nor Porky have that capability.
Yet, the Needles are being pulled now. That means Porky is
somehow controlling someone who can control the Dragon's power!

...We have to put a stop to Porky's antics. If we don't, the
world will be completely destroyed again, and it will spell
the true end for everything. For Porky, that might be the
ultimate pleasure, but we can't allow it to happen. We, the
last handful of people there are, absolutely can't allow it to
happen.

Lucas.
It seems you're a chosen one, with the ability to pull the
Needles sealing the Dragon away. You MUST pull the Dark Dragon's
Needle with your own hands, and pass your heart on to the
Dragon. Let this be my one and only order to you as your
"leader".

Porky's not alone, as the Magypsy Locria turned traitor and decided to help Porky for some reason. Also, Porky managed to find someone who can pull the Needles, the Masked Man, who is also helping Porky for some reason. How they both can tolerate Porky, I have no idea.

Anyway, our goal still hasn't changed. We have to pull that last needle.

I hear that six of the Dragon's Needles have already been pulled.
Deep in the earth, the Dragon is likely beginning to stir from
its sleep now. Supposedly, the last Needle is somewhere here in
New Pork City. Porky has been gathering everything that lives on
these islands into New Pork City to prepare for the final
Needle's pulling. It's possible that he's planning to hold one
final, twisted party.

But now is our chance to change this looming crisis into a golden
opportunity. All things may come to an end...or new and
bountiful things may begin. Wouldn't you like to help that
happen?

Lucas.
You were once a weak, fragile boy, but now you've been given a
tremendous role to fulfill. Now that you know everything,
including everything I'm sure you'd rather not know, the time
has come for you to save the future of all life as we know it.

"God won't make you bear more than you can carry."
I'm sure you've heard that phrase before. Know that you aren't
fighting alone. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, will lend you
their support.

GOOD. I'm tired of typing all this out.

Only the Magypsies really know the Needles' locations, so I don't
know where to find them. But, from the way Porky and the others
have been acting, I would say they're now very close to reaching
the seventh Needle. Please, Lucas. Be the one who pulls the
final Needle.

Porky issues his orders from the 100th floor of the Empire Porky
Building. Start by jumping into the fray and storming the
building. After that, you can start looking for clues.

It's been such a long time since I've spoken to anyone. And now
I'm exhausted. This stinkbug should remember everything I've
just said. Take him with you. That way, if you happen to forget
anything I've said here, you can ask him to repeat it. Will you
go with them, Mr. Stinkbug?

If you talk to Leder again, he'll repeat his advice to go to the Empire Porky Building, as well as this:

Don't worry about me. If your battle goes well, I'm sure I'll
regain my freedom, just as everyone else will. Be confident
in yourself, and go forth.

Oh yeah, I save every new piece of dialogue as a screenshot to transcribe later. That whole thing took nearly 200 screenshots by itself.

Also, this music is a slightly different version of the music that played at the end of Chapter 3, after Lucas saves the day and the heroes first get the upper hand (before they kinda do nothing for the next three years).

We can also reread all of that if we really want to. Of course, I just typed everything out here anyway, so you can just reread it here instead. It's more convenient and I'd really appreciate it.

Also, no saving Leder for some reason.

We still have to walk back to the sewers. There's still that hot spring to make life easy.

Alright, time to take on Porky!

Oh, wait, there's Fassad yet again.

"Oh, what a pleasure it is to see you again." No, wait. "Long time, no see," Fassad says. "I say nwehehehehe to you, for I will now give you thoroughly destructive damage," he goes on to say.

"Therefore, I will absolutely, unquestionably be victorious over you." is what Fassad says. "What's more, I will put an end to your tale. I will give you damage, and then provide you with even more damage, until you are soundly defeated."

Fassad's back, and this time he's...even angrier, I guess, maybe?

You know the drill. Buffs, debuffs, it's at the point where you should be using Shield Snatcher first round.

Miracle Fassad, like before, can attack twice a turn. His music attack is the most painful of his regular attacks, and even then it's not that bad for 50 damage to three people before shields, especially if you have Lifeup Omega at this point.

In fact, I'd consider Miracle Fassad more annoying than threatening, due to his status effects. He can use flashes of light to inflict crying on the party, and he can throw a flea bomb at a person.

Fleas are a pain since they can stop PSI attacks a good chunk of the time (though not 100%). This slows down my buffing by several rounds, especially as a couple times Fassad inflicts crying on Lucas too right when I have Healing Alpha queued up, causing Kumatora to cure his tears instead of his fleas. And she doesn't learn Healing Beta, either.

Being L56 might not be bad for Lucas, since he learns Healing Omega, which heals all party members. Handy for multi-target crying.

Miracle Fassad also has a puny charge attack, no biggie.

And he can apply a shield, which is kinda dumb.

Later on, he'll spend two turns to throw bombs for major damage to the entire party. Most parties should have Lucas at 50 for Lifeup Omega to make this irrelevant, but I just spend a round healing instead. Gotta give some attention to those poor heaing items, after all.

In case you're wondering, I do finally hit L50 after this battle.

At this stage, I cast PSI Shield on everyone. This is very important to do. Hell, if you have the time and PP, PSI Counter is a good option too.

When you do enough damage to Miracle Fassad, he loses a lot of his more-annoying attacks.

This is because he replaces them with his frightening scary-powerful attacks.

You see, Fassad actually knows PSI. It just takes an intense hatred built upon layers and layers of humiliation and defeat for him to actually show it.

But these are nothing.

That's right, Fassad just happens to somehow know PK Starstorm. Without PSI Shields, this would do around 300 damage to the entire party.

Of course, this is still Fassad, so he can still restore himself with Luxury Bananas. Everyone's doing enough damage where this is no biggie, though.

Again, this is halved damage. Without a shield, this would flat-out OHKO any character, including Duster with the group's highest HP. Of course, it's not really a OHKO if his HP is high already and you're fast enough to heal him back up.

Overall, a brutal fight, but one that never really threatened me because I'm just that drat good.

"Gah! Oww ow owww"... Hmm, I will not translate this part. The reason being that these are not words, but simple sounds. "You have bested me, kind sirs. Actually, no, you did not best me. You are merely detestable. I am sick of all this fighting. Very, extremely sick of it. This is all just a game. You could call it Master Porky's game."

"But, I am still not sure. The flames of my life are in danger now."

And thus ends our last encounter with Fassad. Farewell, weird dude who was still a mean enough jerk to constantly electrocute a monkey. You're still an rear end in a top hat.

but now that Fassad is gone, I am no longer needed.

Alright, then.

Next time, fried pork.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 1, 2015

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Even though this is a huge infodump, this is probably the one and only game game I can think of where it's handled well enough that I don't really mind it. First of all, the music helps. And having the infodump make a lot of sense helps even more. (I'm looking at you, Chrono Cross) And there's been lots of little nice bits of foreshadowing too, like Wess' vague memory about the legends, which turns out to not just be from him being a senile old fart. The player has to have been wondering all along what the deal is with Tazmily, and how it's stayed so isolated and innocent. Leder puts together a lot of things that you really want to hear, and you're ready to hear.

The fact that Leder's the one to tell you gives it an extra bit of punch, a little bonus mystery solved to kick things off. It's easy to forget for a while that Leder even existed. Even as you're mourning the fact that the town's changing so much and being abandoned, Leder never made much sense and never talked to anyone anyway, was he just a joke character or what? He can slip from your memory, even when some NPC somewhere makes a vague mention of "hey, remember that guy?" But now, after being gone all game, suddenly he's here all tied up, oh yeah, that guy! And he's finally willing to talk...

Another thing that helps is it doesn't change what we were already out to do for ourselves. Comparing to Chrono Cross again, its big infodump at the very last minute gives you an explanation for why the hell you need to go fight the final boss now, who's come out of nowhere, and what the hell it even is. But here, even if we didn't know the history of the islands, the connections to Earthbound, or the true significance of what we were doing, we already have a personal stake in opposing Porky for what he's done to Lucas' home. And in facing the Masked Man, for whatever reasons you unspoiled goons have probably surmised on your own. This is all gravy.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Under the vegetable posted:

It's more about a society without the concept of money, founded on communitarianism and sharing vs capitalism than it is rural/suburb vs urban.
I can understand that, yeah, and I suppose it makes sense. Capitalist empires obviously tend to be a lot bigger and a lot richer than the tiny cultures they bulldoze, after all. I guess the more incidental urban/rural aspect just kind of stuck out to me because it related more closely to my own life.

Paul.Power posted:

Now I'm picturing Alternate Universe Mother 3, where Tazmily is an aging but well-maintained and multicultural tower block with a strong tenants' association and a socialist ethos, and New Pork City is an uncanny valley suburbia - The Milkman Conspiracy without the twisted geometry, perhaps.

Or heck, with it.
Not gonna lie, a game like this would have my attention. It sounds like the sort of oddball game that would end up being a cult hit.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Leder's quite the lengthy speaker, is he not? :downsrim:

Mega64, a lot of people might not even recognize it, but I really appreciate the thing where you made a Leder 'icon' stand next to the text by chopping the image up in pieces of exactly the right height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Mega64, a lot of people might not even recognize it, but I really appreciate the thing where you made a Leder 'icon' stand next to the text by chopping the image up in pieces of exactly the right height.

Thanks. Considering how much Leder talks and how large his sprite is, it made a lot of sense to do it this way. I actually took the idea from the de Blob OP (rq. archives). It looks nice enough that I may just do something like that for all dialogue in future LP's, if after some experimenting it ends up looking nice enough to be worth the extra bit of effort.

I'm liking that the game challenges me to find new ways to present it, even if the execution ends up being a pain in the rear end sometimes (looking at you, Mr. Saturn).

• Locked thread