Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Raluek posted:

Oh come on. I'm an EE nerdlinger too; not everything has to be high tech. Dual 4-barrel Holleys have their own attraction. Side dump exhaust, bugcatcher.

For something you actually want to drive, carburetors suck. EFI is not much more expensive, if at all, if you use OEM components, and almost infinitely more reliable. I'd go with a hacked GM TBI before a carb. MegaSquirt preferably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Basically I have four different OEM EFI equipped engines to choose from, none of which I spent over 300 dollars on. All of them are natively compatible with the instruments I want to use, which bolt directly into the dash I am using, which bolts directly into the chassis I am using after cutting a few new access ports. I am not spending a cent on another engine, especially a carbed one - whether you like carbs or not, nothing I own with more than one cylinder is going to have a carb on it, certainly not in a vehicle that came with EFI. Suggesting I do that is about like telling UF to stick weld turbo manifolds, or Sockington that he should just use roofing tar and pieces of license plate to repair rust.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Threw the seatbelts in the back of the Justy today, along with "fixing" the rear swaybar for inspection (it was optional equipment and no one will know what cars came with it, so I took it off and will weld the broken part up later) and adjusting the headlights. Put the rearview mirror in it too. Should pass inspection easily tomorrow morning.

The driveshaft ujoints did blow up it seems so it will be on fairly minimal use until the replacements come in. Don't want to wear out the ears on an impossible to find driveshaft. I can't really fault it for blowing up, it does have 231k miles and 21 years on it and it had the decency to wait until about 80 miles after I finished driving it crosscountry. Could have been a lot worse.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

kastein posted:

Threw the seatbelts in the back of the Justy today, along with "fixing" the rear swaybar for inspection (it was optional equipment and no one will know what cars came with it, so I took it off and will weld the broken part up later) and adjusting the headlights. Put the rearview mirror in it too. Should pass inspection easily tomorrow morning.

The driveshaft ujoints did blow up it seems so it will be on fairly minimal use until the replacements come in. Don't want to wear out the ears on an impossible to find driveshaft. I can't really fault it for blowing up, it does have 231k miles and 21 years on it and it had the decency to wait until about 80 miles after I finished driving it crosscountry. Could have been a lot worse.

That'll teach me :argh:

Failed for exhaust leaks. The muffler was swiss cheese (I think the vibration from the ujoint shook the rust out of the holes because I could swear they weren't there a week ago) and the goddamn donut gasket at the middle of the exhaust system... wasn't donutting or gasketing anymore.

To compound this it seems all the aftermarket exhaust kits do away with that donut gasket joint in favor of a slip fitting and ubolt plus a flexpipe further up, so no parts store had a donut gasket for me. Had to order the muffler after trying every parts store within 10 miles, by some miracle it arrives tomorrow morning at 7:30.

So I went to the parts store where I know the crew and they let me dig through their donut gasket rack with calipers in hand. Finally found one I thought would work, part number 31690. It was perfect, so on it went with a lot of copper rtv because I have lost patience with this and don't intend to fail again. Then I had to find spring bolts for it since even being from CO, they are steel exhaust hardware and rust is to be assumed, they broke in half.

... every online catalog said they were unique to the Justy, so in desperation I tried the ones I got for the Forester when I did its exhaust last year, which hadn't been in the same galaxy as fitting right. I'll be damned, they fit eprfectly. The bolt and spring length were both a bit higher but by the same amount.

So now there are prius (the donut gasket turns out to be for a prius) and forester parts on my 4x4. At this point I think it may deserve a jeep badge :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

One of these things is not like the others:

(It has less holes and subaru logos in it)

Installed, with hillrod-fabricated gasket (doubled up 4.0L intake/exhaust manifold gasket exhaust port sections) and copper rtv

One of these days I will do it right since I bought a 12x24" sheet of felpro Fel-Ramic to do this, but for now I wanted it to pass safety inspection. Which it did! :toot:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

, but for now I wanted it to pass safety inspection. Which it did! :toot:

Congradudolences!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

Congradudolences!

Don't worry, it still needs a balance chain tensioner and a driveshaft ujoint before I can really drive it regularly :v:

The ujoint is hosed. One of the caps blew its top, I can poke my finger through the yoke ear and push the trunnion, moving the cross back and forth.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Please post a photo of the u-joint if it is particularly small :shobon:

kastein posted:

I can poke my finger through the yoke ear

oh nevermind, it's not that small.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

I can poke my finger through the yoke ear and push the trunnion, moving the cross back and forth.

I'm glad one of us is getting some action. :quagmire:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It is a rockford drivelines 430-9 ujoint, the caps are 0.791" diameter and the inside retaining clips are 1.285" across.

I have a couple on order but they won't be here for a few days at least.

elektrotechnik
Sep 7, 2012
What the hell ACE already had the perfect muffler in his garage!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

One of these is a ujoint intended for use in steering columns.

The other is my rear driveshaft ujoint. No perspective tricks, they're in contact.

As for perfect mufflers - he let me borrow his weedwacker, but said I couldn't take the muffler off :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What's the Flaming River joint for? Love the ones on my C10.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's leftover from the last prototype we built at work and was slated to be scrapped, so I grabbed it for the next offroad MJ I build. Decided I would rather spend like 150 bucks on materials to make a bulletproof steering linkage with serviceable parts than 280 on a factory replacement that would fail again, or keep putting 20 dollar junkyard replacements in every few months.

Putting that ujoint in the Justy last night was the most pain and bullshit I've ever gone through to install a ujoint. gently caress that thing, ujoints are easier the bigger they are. Car rides a lot nicer now that it has a functioning ujoint though, the old one had one cap so hosed the trunnion wore a hole in the end (so it was a tube not a cap) and no needles left, which explains the horrible vibration rather well.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 2, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Didn't do a drat thing to any of my cars all weekend aside from throwing 3 of the $10 set of 235/75r15 tires+wheels I got on the blue MJ, which looks a lot better not sinking into the yard. In the process I discovered that the coil perches on the front beam have completely rusted away so it looks like I am slapping a dana 30 in there to get it on the road. No 4wd conversion yet, I just need a usable truck and this one is the closest to fitting that bill.

Justy stuff left to do:
Pick up parts order at the dealer (!!!)
Order remainder of engine build parts on rockauto
Build and install engine
Drain trans fluid to appropriate level, I overfilled it
Fix swaybar tab and reinstall rear swaybar
Ungunk drivers door lock
Fix dents in bodywork
Fix temp gauge
Finish designing ECU PCB and sourcing drivetrain upgrade parts

Forester stuff left to do:
New carpet, clean all seats, some new plastics
Install fenders
Fix rust
Rear suspension
Tires
Rear left brake line
Battery tiedown
Evap fix, o2 sensor

MJ stuff left to do:
Exhaust install
Fix trans computer issue, probably a fuse blown
Install d30
Fix front lighting
Fix leaky brake line union and rebleed
Replace rusty lug stud and all lug nuts
One more tire
Insure, register, inspect
New radiator wouldn't hurt
(Then the actual project starts...)

5 ton:
rockers, injectors, valve lash, valve covers
fill tires, check brake lines
Fix or replace latches and passenger windshield
Insure, register, "inspect"
(Then the actual project starts...)

Other blue MJ:
Picking it up from the sellers shop would be a good start.

White MJ, red XJ: SAWZALL TIME, BITCHES

Jesus christ this is gonna take all summer.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 4, 2015

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Hey do you remember what seal I ended up getting for the disco side of my D30 when we did the shaft swap on Sandbagger?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Absolutely no idea, unfortunately. It probably says on the side of it. It also was a stone bitch to get in because it wasn't quite the right size. I would almost suggest just getting the blockoff kit and using the seal out of it instead of dinking around with that particular seal again. The one we got didn't have the steel funnel built in to guide the axleshaft either so the splines had to be guided very carefully into the diff to avoid seal damage.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/yga-21364

basically this?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah. Though now that I look at it, two of those seals also don't have the funnels, so I'm not sure which goes where. Hopefully they fit the tube better than the one we got.

Yours leaking? I was hoping it wouldn't because those are a bastard to get at, you have to pull the shafts and differential carrier and use a goofy puller and seal installer fabricated out of threaded rod, sockets, and washers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Jesus christ this is gonna take all summer.

drat I thought my list was long, now I don't feel so bad :v:

Between my cars and my house sometimes I feel overwhelmed with poo poo that needs to be done, and the list keeps getting longer :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I was going to work on the house and Justy today but didn't feel like it, so I swaped a dana 30 into the blue MJ instead. There is video, but it isn't really watchable till I edit the 30 minutes of dropping a dana 30 on myself and swearing out, so it will have to wait till I am at a real computer. I called that fucker everything except a fine upstanding citizen while tipping it off of the jack and pinching my fingers in the steering knuckles a lot.

Cliffs:
Balljoints were welded in by some idiot, good thing my long term plans involve cutting the knuckles off and putting dana 60 outers and knuckles on
Some retard put miniskids on the lower control arm brackets but didn't make them to clear stock control arms, and didn't clean up any of the torch cut edges or use a good welder or have any idea how to weld, so I sawzalled em back off
Track bar bolt hole was butchered by some fuckwit with an o/a torch, fortunately die grinding it down was sufficient
Discovered the stock coils were broken, one into two pieces and the other into three, I I've accidentally lifted it in the front by using BDS 2" lift coils I forgot I bought brand new for the XJ last year. They will make up for the heavy engine I intend to install nicely I think.
The track bar bolt broke, but the oreilly one town over had a new bushing and I had a spare bolt, so I solved this problem with a sawzall and a lot of smashing things
The swaybar links broke, but I have new ones on order for Monday and the old ones were pretty hosed anyways

Axle is in, all that remains is torquing all fasteners once it is at ride height and slapping the brake hoses and swaybar links on.

Gonna be sore as hell tomorrow, I am way out of shape and wrestling with that stupid loving axle for a half hour is not what I had in mind for today. Oh well, it is done now.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Yeah. Though now that I look at it, two of those seals also don't have the funnels, so I'm not sure which goes where. Hopefully they fit the tube better than the one we got.

Yours leaking? I was hoping it wouldn't because those are a bastard to get at, you have to pull the shafts and differential carrier and use a goofy puller and seal installer fabricated out of threaded rod, sockets, and washers.

it's weeping a little. I'm going to make sure the fluid is topped off this week.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think I just passed my Sr. Rustmancer III test:

(Unthreaded with a box wrench and vise grips. No penetrating oil or heat was used. Yeah, those slits are where the nut rusted down so far the threads got exposed.)

This is how the coil springs came out:

Great penetration welding that LCA skid on, ya dipshit:

All new hardware in, including the d30, but not torqued down since it needs to be at ride height for that to avoid preloading the bushings in torsion:

Justy summer tires arrived at work today. The trunk was full of my welding equipment and the back seat full of power tools and subaru parts. Good thing I have a passenger seat:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Those are some little tires.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Man, I miss getting tires shipped to work. Stupid high rise.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

Justy summer tires arrived at work today. The trunk was full of my welding equipment and the back seat full of power tools and subaru parts. Good thing I have a passenger seat:

155/80-R13 :laugh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

155/80-R13 :laugh:

Hey, brand new tires for my 4x4 cost me $235 shipped, look who's laughing now :smug:

(a set of prestudded snow tires for it next winter will cost me $250 or so, shipped. Suckerrrrrrrrs)

Here's the awful video from Saturday's dana 30 install.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xElLjPvBxhk

Watch until you get bored or the swearing and throwing poo poo starts. Then move forward to 20 minutes in, then when it gets back to swearing at poo poo and making no progress, 22 minutes in.

The video stutters and there are bits missing and the audio gets desynched randomly because the old janky cellphone I took it with is a piece of garbage.

e: VIDEO IS UP, also:

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 13, 2015

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Kastein and the fire retardant nutsack

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bringing new meaning to "balls of steel".

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat dude, don't you have anyone local to help you out? Watching that I felt the need to jump in and help, that looked like a PITA to do alone.

Also I laughed out loud at loving WHORE because that's exactly what I say (scream) when my cars don't cooperate, sometimes I'll throw a DIRTY in between too :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I don't really have any local friends who could help that day, sadly :( everyone was busy. It was mostly awful because of those stupid miniskids the idiot PO of the axle welded on, once I cut those off it wasn't too bad.

I took the Justy to Go Topless Day in Monson MA today since all my other 4x4s are broken or unregistered and broken. Ran into a few friends of the YJ and TJ persuasion who I haven't seen in years, as well as a couple XJ and WJ owners I used to wheel with before the club fell apart. We went wheeling after but the trails were far too difficult for such a low car so I just rode along and took some videos, which will have to wait till Monday.

It just so happens that my usual suspension speed testing grounds consist of a public dirt road that borders the property we went wheeling at today. So I tested the Justy's 4x4 system out on the way home. This is the slowest you will ever see this road, normally I run around 30mph through most of it peaking at 65-70, not 3mph peaking at 7-8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTasS-sIIZY

Camera position sucks and I can't edit it on mobile so until Monday night, everything after the ten minute mark is me trying to get 4x4 to disengage and pretty boring. I will trim it down then.

I will have to take another video with a better vantage point once I get the engine and set of tires out of the trunk :v:

E:
Parking at the entrance to the actual 4x4 trails:

kastein fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 17, 2015

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

elektrotechnik posted:

What the hell ACE already had the perfect muffler in his garage!

poo poo, Ken, I would have bought you the 1" to 4" adapter, even!

kastein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTasS-sIIZY

Camera position sucks and I can't edit it on mobile so until Monday night, everything after the ten minute mark is me trying to get 4x4 to disengage and pretty boring. I will trim it down then.

What, you took the go-around on hell root? PUSSY!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I didn't want to end up a permanent fixture of the landscape and had no one around to pull me out if I got stuck :haw:

Junkyarding today was somewhat successful. Also I grabbed some random parts for INTERNETRACECAR's Forester project and put the tires from his Outback on my Forester. Ride, grip, and NVH much improved. Now I can hear my rear diff or rear wheel bearing eating itself alive quite clearly.

Note to self: hey dumbass, this is the sixth time you have forgotten to get forester wiper linkages at the yard. Get some next time dammit.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Passed a place called Ken's Auto Salvage in NH today, their sign was in the shape of a jeep grille. Are you sure you don't own a salvage yard?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Passed a place called Ken's Auto Salvage in NH today, their sign was in the shape of a jeep grille. Are you sure you don't own a salvage yard?

I have gotten a lot of poo poo from ken, and him from me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Looking out my window I am reasonably certain I do, but it sadly isn't in NH.

BTW, I tossed the new motor and cutoff switch on that compressor today. Didn't get to fire it up sadly, as I realized I am missing a gauge and a pulley (it wouldn't come off) but it should hopefully be going by weekend. Thanks again!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Happy to help, I hate seeing useful things get thrown away like that, even if they need a bit of work.

In other news we got our new automated video measuring machine up and running today and it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_LX_DKG8-Q

The smaller machine (not the bridge-type one) with the rotary device and touch probe is the one we got.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Holy crap that thing is amazing and I want one. Let me know if you throw it out anytime soon :v:

What's the largest object it can scan?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It has 12" x 12" x 6" travel, accurate to ±.00007" in X and Y and ±.0001" in Z.

I don't mind working long hours when I have this thing to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:eyepop:

Yeah that's going on the lottery list. I have so many things I would measure with that.

Yesterday, I had a new windshield put in the Forester because it got cracked by a stone on I90, joining the 4 windshields I lost to rocks last year. Hoping this doesn't continue...

A few days ago I rattle canned all my stock steel wheels gold after wirewheeling and acetone cleaning them half assedly, since they were off the car anyways and I was rolling around on INTERNETRACECAR's spare set of wheels with some unwanted tires on them. Today I had the tires swapped over and the whole mess put back on my car, so I can bring his wheels back tomorrow!

Looks better, aside from the low-rent bodywork.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 22, 2015