Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Habibi posted:

How is there only one fat person in that picture.

That's our secret. We're always fat...on the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Habibi posted:

How is there only one fat person in that picture.

You can eat stuff like that if you're a rower or a triathlete.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

boom boom boom posted:

If you live in the Land Of The Free you can eat like that regardless. And they do.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Phenotype posted:

I don't think they're going to kill Nyssa, though. I thought it seemed really forced that Ollie didn't kill her at the end of last episode -- Ras says "kill her" and then almost instantly grabs Ollie's hand to stop him. Felt like a directorial decision, like someone said "no, we want to keep using her," even though she really should have died in that situation.

The whole thing about "uniting our two families" is so, so, soap opera. And yes, I'm taking into consideration this is a CW show.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

JavaJesus posted:

I went back and re-watched the conversation between Ra's and Oliver about why he was chosen, and unless they changed or clarified it later on, it was never a prophecy:
"Your resurrection wasn't a gift from these waters, rather by force of your own will. What better heir to immortality then someone who has already claimed victory over death?"

From this it seems like not only is it not a prophecy, it's not even a standard part of choosing the new Ra's al Ghul, and instead it's just a thing that the current Ra's decided he wanted to do. Basically, Nyssa was absolutely going to be the next Demon's Head until Ollie came back and Ra's was like "Well poo poo, Nyssa hasn't even cheated death once! She's clearly inferior to the guy I thought I killed."

I'm at work so I can't pull the episode but heres some quick google-fu: "Ahead of Saturday’s PaleyFest panel honoring the series, a new—and very spoilery—trailer revealed that there’s a prophecy stating that the man who doesn’t perish at the blade of Ra’s al Ghul will become the new Ra’s al Ghul. However, Oliver may not actually have a choice in the matter."

It's just really dumb that theres this immortal guy shaping the course of humanity, destroying cities, etc and theres a prophecy that once day he will be replaced. A freakin prophecy. Or you know, whenever he feels like just handing over the reigns. Really the prophecy should have read "The man who doesn’t perish at the blade of Ra’s al Ghul will become the new Ra’s al Ghul, or like some random guys you find. Or your kid maybe. Somebody, anybody."

Edit: its just sloppy inconsistent story writing.

Writers meeting notes:
Lets spend like 3 episodes making Ollies life hell so he is forced to choose to join the league, then show that he is willing to stay to keep his word and protect his friends and family... then we'll brainwash him.

Wont people wonder why the league didnt just brainwash him from the start instead of all this choice nonsense? And wont that take away from the inner conflict he'd have to have to do bad things in a life he doesnt want to protect his friends and family which is his reason for coming?

gently caress the viewers.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 3, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Ra's just doing what he feels like and bullshitting the rationales is fine by me, but it'd play a lot better if they didn't downgrade the League to faceless, puny mooks. It's even worse than how weak Star Trek: Voyager made the Borg.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Accretionist posted:

Ra's just doing what he feels like and bullshitting the rationales is fine by me, but it'd play a lot better if they didn't downgrade the League to faceless, puny mooks. It's even worse than how weak Star Trek: Voyager made the Borg.

People keep saying this forever, but TNG made the borg puny and weak in every single appearance after Wolf 359, and then later introduced the queen long before Voyager got their hands on them.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

It's just really dumb that theres this immortal guy shaping the course of humanity, destroying cities, etc and theres a prophecy that once day he will be replaced. A freakin prophecy. Or you know, whenever he feels like just handing over the reigns. Really the prophecy should have read "The man who doesn’t perish at the blade of Ra’s al Ghul will become the new Ra’s al Ghul, or like some random guys you find. Or your kid maybe. Somebody, anybody."

Where did you get the idea that Ra's is immortal? He's a few hundred years old at best, and only because of his pool of vitamin water.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Well I thought about it a little more and really I can't fault them that much. They wanted to do a story where the good guy goes bad and his friends have to stop him, but they also didn't want to make it so the hero was REALLY a homicidal rear end in a top hat because theyd always have that stigma.

So they did what DC does whenever they want to run a attention grabbing story like Superman going evil and the league has to stop him... but looked at what would work for Arrow: alternate dimension? No. Wizard did it? No. Red kryptonite? No. Brainwashing? Bingo.

So in a way they are atleast doing a comic book thing.

Edit:

enraged_camel posted:

Where did you get the idea that Ra's is immortal? He's a few hundred years old at best, and only because of his pool of vitamin water.
Well yeah technically speaking hes not immortal in the way Vandal Savage is, Agreed.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 3, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Well I thought about it a little more and really I can't fault them that much. They wanted to do a story where the good guy goes bad and his friends have to stop him, but they also didn't want to make it so the hero was REALLY a homicidal rear end in a top hat because theyd always have that stigma.

Except Arrow already has that stigma.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Except Arrow already has that stigma.

Mass murderer? Uh no. Hes killed criminals. He certainly isnt in the same category as say earthquake machine using, omega virus in the water type.

I mean sure you could say Robin Hood was just a thief, but he robbed from the rich to give to the poor. You wouldn't say he was the same as Goldfinger trying to knock off Fort Knox would you?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic."
Joseph Stalin

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic."
Joseph Stalin

I dont know where to go from here. Am I supposed to qoute Hitler or something now? Seems like a good direction to go when discussing tv shows based on comic book characters.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I'd take Hitler over the way they're writing Felicity lately.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Ollie has a higher kill count than Ted Bundy

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
From ~15 pages ago but...

Narcissus1916 posted:

Wait, you WANT the lazarus pits to be able to bring back fully dead characters? With a snap of the fingers and bam presto change-o?

Sometimes, I really hate comic fans.

I think there's ways it could work. If pit-resurrection stripped away some of a person's emotional character and left them a little more sociopathic, it would have good character/story implications, and if the League were still high powered, it wouldn't be accessible.

Something like that would've given a killed-and-resurrected Ollie a struggle to not backslide, would have done a lot toward explaining the League's nature and made Ollie more amenable to joining them later on.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

boom boom boom posted:

There are probably fewers rowers or triathletes in that picture than fat people. Anyway, statistically, it's just very unexpected.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Accretionist posted:

From ~15 pages ago but...

I think there's ways it could work. If pit-resurrection stripped away some of a person's emotional character and left them a little more sociopathic, it would have good character/story implications, and if the League were still high powered, it wouldn't be accessible.

Something like that would've given a killed-and-resurrected Ollie a struggle to not backslide, would have done a lot toward explaining the League's nature and made Ollie more amenable to joining them later on.

Yeah, when Thea leaped out of the pit like a deranged maniac, it got my hopes up that the pit had turned her into a monster of some sort. Turns out it was simply good ol' resurrection hangover and she just had to sleep it off.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Blackchamber posted:

I'm at work so I can't pull the episode but heres some quick google-fu: "Ahead of Saturday’s PaleyFest panel honoring the series, a new—and very spoilery—trailer revealed that there’s a prophecy stating that the man who doesn’t perish at the blade of Ra’s al Ghul will become the new Ra’s al Ghul. However, Oliver may not actually have a choice in the matter."

Edit: its just sloppy inconsistent story writing.

I've seen a few people say this, and I thought it was pretty straightforward. One Ra's lasts a really long time, and when the waters can't keep him alive anymore, it gets passed down to the finest assassin, like the current Ra's, or an agreed-upon successor like Nyssa, who I think might be one of their best assassins anyway. There's just some prophecy that a man who survives a killing blow from Ra's al Ghul must become the successor, which is a rare thing that almost never happens.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I think this Ra's has a thing for stabbing Queens. Just saying.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Phenotype posted:

I've seen a few people say this, and I thought it was pretty straightforward. One Ra's lasts a really long time, and when the waters can't keep him alive anymore, it gets passed down to the finest assassin, like the current Ra's, or an agreed-upon successor like Nyssa, who I think might be one of their best assassins anyway. There's just some prophecy that a man who survives a killing blow from Ra's al Ghul must become the successor, which is a rare thing that almost never happens.

The problem is that it isn't presented that way. If there was some reason Ra's was pushing so hard for this, like if the pit no longer worked for him and he needed to secure his heir asap, or there was another group attacking the league and Ra's was afraid he wouldn't be able to lead and win against the other faction and the survival of the LoA depended on a leader who could, those would be good reasons. Especially for the rush and as a justification of brainwashing Ollie. Better yet if they hadn't included the pit at all, if they had made Ra's just an ordinary man who feared old age and slowing down then him needing to find a replacement would really make a lot of sense.

Having Ra's have such a long lifespan is good because he could simply wait out his opposition. That was really his best strength, poo poo didn't go his way he could just try again when you are too weak and tired to fight back. He even tried that with Bruce when he was old, offering to let him use the pits to return to his prime and take the mantle of Batman from Terry.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Huh? It is presented that way -- the one who survives a fatal blow from Ra's al Ghul must become the next Ra's al Ghul. Maseo says it almost exactly like that. It is a prophecy/rule of the League.

And no, the pit no longer works for him. Ra's tells Oliver this during one of their meetings in the last few episodes. It is losing its ability to maintain him, and he will need to find a successor eventually.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
The scars take so long to apply and remove that Ollie should be dipped in the pit as a simple mercy to Amell.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Blackchamber posted:

Having Ra's have such a long lifespan is good because he could simply wait out his opposition. That was really his best strength, poo poo didn't go his way he could just try again when you are too weak and tired to fight back. He even tried that with Bruce when he was old, offering to let him use the pits to return to his prime and take the mantle of Batman from Terry.

Arrow-Ra's is morally outrageous and inconsistent, but DCAU-Ra's did end up probably raping Batman, so it's a nice reminder that things could be worse.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

tin can made man posted:

Arrow-Ra's is morally outrageous and inconsistent, but DCAU-Ra's did end up probably raping Batman, so it's a nice reminder that things could be worse.

Using his daughters corpse as a suit!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Accretionist posted:

That's what the league has always been though.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's what the league has always been though.

That's disappointing. I remember the first man in season 2 being a challenge for Ollie and that was pretty cool :smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Accretionist posted:

That's disappointing. I remember the first man in season 2 being a challenge for Ollie and that was pretty cool :smith:

Well,the general rule with large criminal organizations on media is that only named characters can be a serious threat for the heroes. :shrug:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, when Thea leaped out of the pit like a deranged maniac, it got my hopes up that the pit had turned her into a monster of some sort. Turns out it was simply good ol' resurrection hangover and she just had to sleep it off.

This was hilariously built up and then absolutely ruined.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They couldn't do a standard post-pit crazy story line because they'd already done it twice with the Mirakuru.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

boom boom boom posted:

They couldn't do a standard post-pit crazy story line because they'd already done it twice with the Mirakuru.

Doesn't matter what they could or couldn't do, it's what they did, and it was hilarious.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

boom boom boom posted:

I'm reasonably certain they'll still do it. They'll just wait, because they don't have time right now.

Thea's going to be totally sane and fine until season 4, at which time they'll agonize in some vague fashion over how she's having nightmares / getting carried away fighting people / murders some goon.

The Lazarus Pit will be nice and polite, and wait until less season-ending drama is going on, before granting Thea a 3-episode arc that ends anticlimactically where she finally gets over her case of resurrection crazies.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

So Nyssa could never have been the real heir to the demon because then by tradition she'd have to genocide Nanda Parbat and that would be kinda awkward right

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Bad Moon posted:

Using his daughters corpse as a suit!

Wait, what?!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

spookygonk posted:

Wait, what?!

Talia comes back into old Bruces life and entices him with promises of lazarus pit rejuvenation (and sexy times, they kiss in the episode). Later on it's revealed that Ras has taken over Talias body and I think he's planning to take Bruces.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

thebardyspoon posted:

Talia comes back into old Bruces life and entices him with promises of lazarus pit rejuvenation (and sexy times, they kiss in the episode). Later on it's revealed that Ras has taken over Talias body and I think he's planning to take Bruces.

He was planning to take over Bruce's body, yes. That was a fun episode overall but that whole "took over Talia's body and pretty much rapes Bruce Wayne" part was kind of awkward to put it lightly.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Fun (?) fact:

Katrina Law:

Born Joyce J. Houseknecht
Deptford, New Jersey, USA

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You're not gonna star in a major movie or TV series with a name like Houseknecht.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Joyce J. Houseknecht doing standup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHneO22qZLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I went to the wikipedias to see if Arrow has a bunch of new writers, but its largely the same group from last year with a few changes. But that led me to a WB Writer's workshop program that takes aspiring writers and runs them through a bootcamp that may lead to a job on a show - Flash and Arrow have both hired from this talent pool.

A few months ago I mentioned writing bits and pieces of an arrow spec script. I have degrees in creative writing and am seriously tempted to bang out an arrow spec script before the May 31st deadline.

I'm thinking of writing an episode between Oliver agreeing to be the new Rhas and last week's episode. So how does this sound for an episode?

Rhas Al Ghul mentally breaks down Oliver, to the point where the bullshit brainwashing montage makes a semblance of sense. I have an idea for how Rhas would do this, and it brings back a loose end from the very first season.

Meanwhile back in Starling, we spend time with Nyssa training Laurel - and I'm debating doing flashbacks to Nyssa and Sara's time in the league. Also, I guess I would have to give Diggle and Felicity something to do.

• Locked thread